Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

One More Look at the Ghost [MorningStar!] [M]

Started by Rhindeer, December 27, 2023, 03:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

For someone in her line of work, the week had been peaceful.

Of course there were the usual little hauntings. There always were. But none had been particularly complex. Ah, days like this were nice. Fang loved her work, she truly did, but she would be lying if she said didn't also love a chance to be a little lazy for a change especially after an earlier string of troublesome hauntings and, in one case, a possession.

No, she took her downtime when she could get it. No one called for her, she saw nothing more than the usual nature spirits that were always there. This area was, surprisingly, rather clean for the time being. At least right now during the day; that could always change.

And so Fang saw fit to treat herself, stopping by a small, cozy teahouse that sold a wide array of flavored teas and dainty pastries. It was quiet inside save for the conversations of the other guests with dimmed lighting to give it an intimate feel--the perfect place to relax and be with one's thoughts. And goddess but it smelled amazing, all the many warm spices coming together in a way that made her mouth water.

She ordered a spicy blend of chai and settled down at a corner table to write in her journal. Nothing fancy, just a quick letter that she would tear out and send home to her mother whenever she got a chance, because it had been a while and she should. Except, she didn't get much written before she noticed him.

Or, not even really him. But what was around him.

There was another person sitting solo, a foreigner by the looks of his hair and dress and skin and sheer height even sitting, and sweet Inima, how had she not felt him when she walked through the door? There were specters attached to him, black and angry like a stormy cloud; she had to adjust her eyes to focus on physical sight versus spiritual, just to be able to see the man beneath.

Fang tensed, quickly putting her brush and ink away into her satchel on the floor and blowing carefully on the wet ink on the page, giving herself time to think. Ohhh dear...oh goodness...

Mmm...right. How exactly did she go about this, now??

The man wasn't Thanati. At least, he certainly didn't look it. And in her (very limited) experience with foreigners, they didn't tend to understand, or react well, to all the spirit stuff at the best of times. Telling someone they had a spectral cling-on was...yikes. It was going to require a level of tact and, perhaps, cultural sensitivity that she just didn't have. Fang chewed her lip and glanced around at the other patrons sipping their tea or engaged in quiet conversation amongst themselves and, after a moment of internal debate, decided the only way was to be direct and blunt. There was no magic formula that would prevent a freakout if someone was predisposed to them, so may as well get it out of the way fast so they could move onto solutions!

This wasn't about her, it was about him, and he deserved to know.

Downing the rest of her tea in several quick gulps like a man chugging booze for that liquid courage, she rose from her table and made her way toward him, rehearsing her delivery in her head. While she was fluent in Common, had been a long time since she'd spoken it and she feared she'd be a bit rusty. Not enough to cause misunderstandings, though, she was certain. Now to just get his attention and...

She reached out and gently touched his shoulder.

"Excuse me," she said in thickly accented Common, leaning in close so she could speak to him discreetly. "You have dead person on you."

Nailed it.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

MorningStar

In the secluded corner of the tea house, Spike Sinclair sipped his green tea, feeling the weight of unseen eyes upon him. A haunting presence lingered beside him, imperceptible to all but Spike. The ghostly figure of Lawrence, once a companion turned victim, silently bore witness.

As Spike gazed into the steam rising from his tea, a subtle whisper filled the air, a spectral voice echoing through the corridors of Spike's conscience. "Life has a curious way of intertwining our fates, doesn't it, Spike?"

Spike shifted uncomfortably in his seat, acutely aware that the voice belonged to Lawrence. "You can't let go, can you?"

The ghost chuckled, the sound ethereal and chilling. "Death tends to have that effect, my friend. Especially when it's at the hands of someone you trusted."

Spike's eyes flickered with a hint of remorse, but he feigned irritation. "Not this again."

Lawrence's spectral form shimmered with an otherworldly glow. "You were always good at keeping secrets, Spike. But some secrets refuse to stay buried."

Spike's grip on the teacup tightened as the temperature in the corner dropped perceptibly. "Just get to the point so I can enjoy my drink. You always go away for a bit after you've done your spiel."

"Ah, the direct approach—typical Spike," Lawrence mused. "Do you remember the night you chose to silence me?"

A shadow crossed Spike's face as he avoided eye contact. "That's in the past."

"The past, Spike, is a ghost that never truly fades," Lawrence continued, his words laden with an eerie gravity. "The poison you poured into my cup, the sting of betrayal... they're etched into the fabric of your soul."

As the tea house hummed with oblivious chatter, Spike's secret, concealed for so long, began to unravel. The weight of Lawrence's gaze bore down on him, and the haunting revelation loomed like a ghostly specter between them.

"Excuse me," a peculiar voice disrupted the ambient hum of Spike's existence. "You have dead person on you."

Lawrence's spectral smile widened, a haunting acknowledgment of his presence. Spike's brow furrowed in bewilderment as he looked up to meet the woman's eyes.

Could she see...?

He cleared his throat, trying to find the words.

"Pardon?"

Rhindeer

Well, he wasn't running away! That was a good sign, right? Though perhaps the delivery could use some...work. Dead person? He had dead person on him? Really? Augh! What was the word again? Dead person, dead person, but not just person, immaterial person...ah!

Fang winced, looked from the man's spectral friend and back again, and gestured emphatically at the spirit.

"Ah...you have...spirits?" It then occurred to her that maybe he understood her meaning just fine and that his reaction was more of a "what the hell, woman, what kind of crazy are you babbling?" reaction than a "I don't understand what on earth you're trying to say" reaction. Clearing her throat as she shook of the second language rust, she continued quickly.

"You're possessed. Ah! I mean, apologies, you're haunted. Er, that is, you have...an entity attached to you." Solid recovery. "Are you aware of that?"

Because that specter seemed aware of her.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

MorningStar

Spike took a deliberate sip of his tea, his gaze lingering on her. Real hair, eyes that held life, a natural nose, skin untouched by an otherworldly glow. She had the form of a genuine woman, a presence that didn't emanate darkness, and a voice confined to their immediate space.

Ah.

She was a real person.

It had been quite some time since he engaged in conversation with one of those. He wasn't entirely sure how to carry himself in their presence, despite also being a.. real person.

Just to confirm...

"Are you talking to me?" he asked, his voice low and hushed.

Rhindeer

Fang felt her confidence dent. Was she using the correct words after all? Or maybe this was part of some social dance that people from his home did? Or was this a polite way of telling her to sod off? Because she was fairly certain she couldn't be more direct without literally getting in his face. Just to be sure, she gave a quick glance around them to check if there was anyone else nearby that could have caused the confusion.

Nope. Just them. Them and the spirit.

Smiling, trying very hard to hide the pain of embarrassment that was surely showing in her eyes, she tucked some hair behind her ear and nodded. "...Attempting to, yes."

MorningStar

Spike, realizing his potential rudeness, quickly flashed her an apologetic smile. He heard her words, but they didn't quite register. Could this girl actually see Lawrence? How was that possible? To Spike, Lawrence was a haunting manifestation of the lives he had taken, but this seemed like no ordinary ordeal. Was she haunted by her past mistakes too? She certainly didn't look like the type to—

"She's waiting on you to say something, dumbass," Lawrence echoed into his ear, his spectral presence beginning to dwindle.

"I'm sorry," Spike stammered, feeling the need to clear his throat. "You said... I mean, you can see him too?"

Rhindeer

He was looking at her, but it was almost like he wasn't seeing her, or was looking past her. Distracted, maybe? Could the spirit be taking a physical toll on him? It was possible, though she had really only seen that with demonic creatures, but just because she hadn't yet encountered it didn't mean it didn't exist.

The silence stretched. Just when Fang was about to clear her throat and prompt him again, he spoke—and her eyes widened.

"Wait, what? You can see him?" she blurted, then clapped a hand over her mouth. Realizing she had spoken a bit too loudly in her surprise, she ducked her head apologetically and lowered her voice again. "Oof, sorry. Yes! Yes, I can see him. You just surprised me—other people usually can't."

This changed matters a bit. Her heart beat a little faster with a strange surge of excitement. What an unusual case! Usually those who were aware had the means to banish them themselves, but this man...

She slipped into the seat across from him, eyes bright with curiosity, and leaned in to speak in a whisper.

"How long has he been with you? Do you know who he is? Oh! I'm so sorry, I'm getting way ahead of myself! I swear I'm not trying to be creepy! I'm Fang, Fang Ruan," she said with a quick seated bow. "This is sort of what I do. Deal with spirits, that is."

MorningStar

"I swear I'm not trying to be creepy!"

Her words managed to coax a small, genuine smile from Spike—more authentic than the guarded expressions he had grown accustomed to. If she only knew the relentless specters of his past that haunted him daily, she might reconsider deeming herself creepy in comparison.

His gaze lingered on her for a moment, taking in her dark skin, green eyes, and the optimistic smile that exuded an aura of naivety. She seemed like a genuinely good person, someone who would be better off steering clear of individuals like Spike.

Moreover, she spoke of spirits. The ability to see and, it seemed, deal with them caught Spike's attention. It was intriguing enough to maintain his focus.

"I'm Lawrence Theodis," he lied smoothly, extending a hand towards hers.

The real Lawrence rolled his eyes at the audacious deception before fading from view, providing a brief respite from the ever-tightening weight on Spike's chest.

"What do you mean by.. deal with spirits?"

Rhindeer

Ohhhh good, so he didn't think she was a total loon! The smile was reassuring enough that Fang let out a slow breath, and with it a great deal of tension, and offered up a smile of her own. Inima help her, this was what she got for spending so much time interacting with mostly priestesses and the dead!

"Lawrence Theodis," she repeated slowly, working out the pronunciation. "Lawrence. It's a pleasure!"

His hand was there, hanging in the space between them. Fang stared at it, and it was several long beats before it clicked. Oh! Right, right, of course. The foreigners often greeted each other that way. 

Not wanting to be rude, she took his hand and then just held it, not quite sure how this went (how long was appropriate? Was she supposed to move her hand a certain way?) but certain he would complete the ritual.

"Hmm...perhaps deal is not the correct word. I don't make deals with them. I mean to say I help them—I help them move on so they may be reborn. So many of them are stuck here because of trauma or unfinished works. That's not all of them, of course, but for the most part they're just afraid or hurt. The small minority that don't fall into that category..." She trailed off, frowning. "Well, some of them are more troublesome."

She tilted her head curiously. "Would you have use of my services?"

MorningStar

Fang (was it?), with her innocent grace, met his hand with her own and... just held it. A bit unconventional, but he well understood that he was a stranger in a strange land, and not her. Caught off guard, Spike attempted to guide her through the customary handshake, his fingers fumbling in the process. He couldn't help but find her eccentricity both endearing and perplexing.

And then, her offer.

The air in the room quickly grew heavy and cold after Fang's words. The restless spirits, all shadows of unresolved emotions, surrounded him like a brooding storm. Their spectral forms seemed to pulse with resentment, clinging to Spike as if bound by an unbreakable curse.

"Would you have use of my services?"

As she spoke, the spirits, full of anger and bitterness, materialized in silent protest. Their faces contorted with torment, their ethereal forms dark and foreboding. Their collective presence loomed like a shroud of discontent, a stark opposition to Fang's benevolent offer.

Spike, caught between the girl and the vengeful spirits, hesitated. The room seemed to pulsate with the weight of unresolved grievances as the spirits silently resisted the possibility of release.

He could feel their eyes collectively on him.

"I, uh—" he stammered, retracting his hand from hers and nervously tucking it under his arm. "I mean... what exactly would these services entail?"

Rhindeer

Oh. His spirits did not like that.

They reacted instantly, returning full force not as one man, but as many entities, so dark and plentiful they blotted out Lawrence's form.

Even some of the customers noticed the fresh chill in the air, commenting on a sudden draft.

This was...going to be a complicated case, she could just feel it. She didn't think she'd ever seen so many spirits attached to one person--and this angry, on top of it.

Free of his hand, and blissfully unaware of his own fumbling (for she really didn't know what was normal), Fang folded both of hers on the table and chewed her lip in thought, thinking how best to answer him.

"Hm...different things; each case is unique. Sometimes all I need to do is talk to the spirit a little. Most of them are really just confused and upset and need to be heard. Sometimes I need to perform a full banishment ritual--those can be quite complex and don't happen often, just in extreme cases when someone really, really doesn't want to let go and it's actively causing harm. Sometimes it requires traveling to a place of significance, or finding an item or person of significance, to help sever the roots of their attachment. Sometimes it requires helping them settle matters they feel are unfinished or, if not that, helping them accept that there will always be unfinished business at the end no matter how much extra time we get. It all depends on why your spirits won't let go and what's tethering them here--what's tethering them to you."

She studied the roiling spirits as she spoke, their angry, anguished faces speaking of so much pain, so much suffering and bitterness--but of a human kind, not a demonic sort. Her chest ached for them; what must they have gone through in life to have gotten to this point?

"I don't charge for my services, if that's a concern," she added, fixing her eyes back on his strange crimson ones. Red eyes. He had red eyes. She had never met someone with such eyes and her belly did a strange flip. Red hair was a bad omen, a sign of one destined for pain and misfortune. There was nothing mentioned about red eyes--but she had to imagine it worked the same, and it certainly fit here.

"The first step would be trying to figure out what connections they may have to you, if any--or if you're just sadly prone to picking up strays. That happens, you know. I don't know why, but there are certain people who attract spirits like moths to torchlight."

MorningStar

He hoped the shame and regret he had felt in that moment weren't visible on his face for her to see. Just talk to the spirits? Sure, that would work great if she wanted to run as far away from him as possible—not that it wouldn't be the right move on her part.

He was afraid. He didn't know this girl, but there was a flicker of hope that she could help him. Yet, he was too scared to reveal the truth about these men and women that haunted him, both for her sake and his own regret.

Well, I killed them. I took everything away from their families for a few bucks. Anyway, want to help a guy out?

Like that would work.

A full banishment ritual? That sounded more appealing, but what did it involve?

He took a few moments after she finished explaining everything to him, sipping his tea before speaking again.

"I must just be lucky," he said in a hushed tone, as if the entire cafe was eavesdropping. "I don't know who or what these things are."

Taking another sip almost immediately after, his last words sparked a sensation as if he were physically being choked by the spirits.

Once it subsided, he spoke again. "I'd like to learn more about the banishment ritual," he said, his fingers on his mug trembling slightly. "But first... why? Why do you want to help me?"

Rhindeer

Why help him? Fang smiled at that, a sad, sympathetic one.

"Because I know what it's like to be haunted," she said. "When I was little, before I understood my gift or how to use it, I...had spirits attached to me, too. It was scary to say the least. Looking back, I think they truly were harmless, that they just knew I could see them so they latched into me for attention, but it was still disturbing. Someone like me helped take care of them, and taught me how to use my gift. It never stops, either. I'm rarely ever alone and—ah, I digress!"

Fang waved her hand as though to wave away the thought, trying to get back on track. "Anyway, it's just what I was born to do, I think. Use this gift for the greater good. Help people, living and dead. You all deserve peace."

She reached out to touch his arm in what she hoped was a comforting gesture. "It's not easy asking for help. I understand that. But living like this is even harder, no?"

MorningStar

Her unexpected touch on his arm took him by surprise, but it wasn't entirely unwelcome. She exuded kindness with a unique presence, a stark contrast to the individuals he typically associated with. Despite his instincts urging him to pull away, he resisted, allowing the offered comfort to blend seamlessly with the cafe's cheerful ambiance.

"Thanks," he managed to utter, his gaze momentarily fixed on the remnants of tea in his mug. When he looked up again, his face appeared visibly pale. The spirits still encircled him like a swarm, and Lawrence, the real Lawrence, had returned. However, something had changed. The friend he once knew wasn't hovering nearby as usual but sitting casually at a table on the other end of the cafe. His face, tainted by the poison that had claimed him, wore a wicked grin.

Blinking to dispel the haunting image, he refocused on the girl before him. "So, the ritual," he said softly, his eyes scanning the patrons. "Here? Or...?"

Rhindeer

"Here? Oh, goodness no!" Fang said, pressing a hand to her mouth to hide her surprised laugh. It wasn't a laugh at his expense—he wouldn't know these things; how could he?—but more a laugh at the idea of it, the visual image that painted. Performing a banishment ritual right here at the table in front of all these patrons...?

Her eyes widened, suddenly realizing how rude she might look, and her face flushed as waved a hand quickly in apology. "I'm sorry, I don't mean to laugh, it's just...no. That won't be necessary unless this place holds some sort of significance to them. For example, if they died here. But they're swarming you, not this building, so I'd imagine that's not the case, is it?"

Her eyes flicked toward the spirit she'd seen before, who was now sitting alone and watching them with an expression that made the hairs prickle along her arms and neck.

That was one was going to be difficult, she could just feel it.

"They've attached themselves to you perhaps because, like me, you can see them. They do that sometimes, they want to be seen. The key now is to find out what they want. If we want to send them off for good, we'll have to break their tether to this world." She cocked her head curiously. "I imagine you've spent some time around them. Do you have any idea when or where you picked them up? Have they given you any clues about themselves?"

MorningStar

He offered a quiet smile in response to her apology, finding it unnecessary yet endearing. His attention then honed in on her words.

The place where they died... ?

——

Spike's memory unfolded like a dark tapestry, revealing the chilling details of a cold night on the outskirts of Kunata. The half-full moon cast an ominous glow, accentuating the shadows that concealed his intentions. The man, unknowingly the catalyst for a shattered marriage, had a name: Oliver Tatum.

In the dimly lit corners of his mind, Spike recalled the specifics—the desolate stretch of land where Oliver met his untimely fate. The bitter wind whispered secrets as Spike, cloaked in the shadows, executed the grim task that had earned Oliver a hit on his head.

As Spike retraced the haunting steps of that night, a relentless sense of his employer's justice for a betrayed union fueled his actions, while his actions were fueled solely on a pay day. The moon bore witness to the darkness, and Oliver Tatum's name echoed in Spike's consciousness.

——

In the midst of his swirling thoughts, he recognized he hadn't responded to the peculiar girl who offered her assistance. Blushing, a sensation he hadn't felt in a while, tinged his cheeks with embarrassment.

Clearing his throat, he finally spoke, "Oliver," he began, pondering how to convey the details without revealing too much. "One of the incidents involves a man named Oliver. He died not far from here, in the woods on the outskirts of the city. I'm certain of it."

Rhindeer

Oh...oh dear. Fang shifted awkwardly in her seat as the silence stretched between them and she couldn't help but feel a small spike of anxiety that she had somehow offended him. She wasn't sure how, but anything was possible when cultural differences existed! Or maybe she had actually upset him when she'd laughed—it was rather rude, even if she hadn't meant it!

She was just about to apologize again when, finally, he spoke, his face curiously flushed. Fang perked up with interest at his words, eyes lighting up at that name.

"Then we must go there!" she said, then paused, wincing at her own enthusiasm, and quickly corrected herself. "That is, if you'd like my help, I mean. But this just confirms my suspicions, Lawrence—these spirits chose you for a reason. That you can understand them so clearly..." 

She smiled up at him. "I don't believe our meeting here was random chance."

MorningStar

Regardless of any cultural differences that might have existed, Spike was not adept at social interactions. Anyone acquainted with him could affirm that fact. In his mind, his existence was tailored for combat, set loose for the sole purpose of eliminating adversaries. That was his entire life. That was all he had ever known. Consequently, his commitment to this solitary path left little room for the development of interpersonal skills beyond what his profession demanded.

Given this background, it wouldn't have surprised those who knew him how clumsily he handled the situation.

Upon accepting her offer, he abruptly rose from the table, seizing her hand and nearly yanking her out of her chair as he guided them towards the exit. "Let's go," he urged, the sensation of a thousand shadows closing in hastening his steps.

Rhindeer

"Whoa!"

Hauled from her seat, Fang nearly lost a sandal as she scrambled to keep her feet--and keep up with his much longer strides. Goddess! It seemed once he got past his hesitation, he was go, go, go! Which, she could hardly blame him when a cure for his ailments was just within reach.

"Oh, goodness, you're tall!" she remarked as she almost had to half-jog to keep steady with him. Of course she could tell he was when he was seated, but standing was a different experience. "Where do you hail from again?"

They passed the table she had sat at originally, and she stretched and snatched up her belongings as they walked by, throwing her satchel over her shoulder and grabbing her sword in its scabbard. She carried it awkwardly, politely waiting for her hand to be freed so she could reattach it to her belt.

MorningStar

Stepping out of the bustling cafe, Spike suddenly sensed an awkward tension in the air. Glancing down, he noticed the woman beside him struggling with an armful of supplies – something he'd missed her grabbing on their way out. The realization hit him that he was still holding onto her hand, an unintentional gesture that made him feel oddly invasive of her space.

In a moment of self-awareness, Spike slowly and awkwardly released her hand, allowing the connection to fade like a phantom touch. His lips curved into an apologetic smile as he said, "Sorry about that. Seems like I got a bit carried away there."

Surveying the lively streets, he pinpointed the direction they should take. Turning back to her, he met her gaze with his head tilting down. "Serendipity," he said simply. "You're short."