Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Dreams of Ruins

Started by LostSoul, June 05, 2022, 01:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LostSoul

It was raining over another fae ruin in an old forest, maybe older than man

Godfrey sat in the ruin, writing in his journal. He just cleared yet another, this time, one based off the rumors that something magical was in it...but no, only the dead, some sort of golem which he ran from before collapsing its on grounds on it...not much else he could do to it, he may have an iron sword, but even iron can't hurt stone. And a lot of old pottery and relics, relics being fancy orbs and stuff which would sell well, but nothing that would lead him to having any more power.

He thought only villain's desired power, but here he was, desirous of power, lusting for woman who seem but a myth outside of his village, even having the pride to try and claim a noble title...when he was still so far away from his goal, not to mention being such a renown hero. Though, he felt more relaxed on that, as he was a hero to the people he saved...but that nagging call for glory still beckoned. He slowly closed the book after righting the entry, wiping at his nose, despite not finding anything of complete magical power. He would soon have enough gold to get better gear, heck, he almost had enough gold to start a business as a merchant.  He snorted as he closed the book, looking out, he felt like the weather. Disappointed and sleepy... he wanted to quite today and go home, but people like him didn't quite, how disappointed would he be in himself? His family.

He leaned back, sighing, closing his eyes, he had barely started, in just one year he had seen so much, he's done so much, went on so many wacky adventures...seen so much death, horrors, how terrible people could be...how much more would he be willing to face before he simply...fell apart? That scared him, it scared him so bad.

He wringed his hands  as he thought, simply sitting there in the rain, it was a good time to think.

The ruins were old and mossy, he was under an entrance, where once proud statues stood, now broken mossy remains of stone piles, the ceiling had moss and vines hanging down, like a jungle canopy, it released pleasant smells, a safe kind of moss from his experiences. Outside was practically a jungle, the rain so thick one could barely see through with roaring thunder sometimes, he was stuck here for now until it calmed down anyway. He had a bag near him full of the things he collected, and siting on a stone bench, weathered and old, but somehow unbroken. He stared at the ground and thought, but really, it was more like fought.

He fought himself, his own criticisms, not good desires, his laziness, his want to give up, his pain, his hate, his anger, he fought it all. He slowly put his hands over his eyes, how could he want something so bad that was so far away, and he knew he would be willing to do a lot  to get it...it was hard to tell himself to take it one step at a time. It was all one could do anyway, and dream, until dreams became reality...reminded him he would need to find that naga and kill her some time, he still had a grudge about that.

Hyacinthus

Far enough into the interior of the ruins that Godfrey sat outside, there was simply blackness. The distance was hard to gauge, of course, but at some point the couple of torchlights that illuminated the entrance dimmed to nothing. The rain didn't help much; After a while, even those torchlights grew slick from the the moisture, and were put out accordingly. This left the young man even more alone than ever before; No real warmth or presence of life to speak of. For a time, that was. Eventually, that changed-- as from the depths of the darkened Fae ruins, a figure emerged.

Gentle footsteps; The sort that belonged to a dainty individual, barefoot and careful, could very, very faintly be heard approaching Godfrey from behind. But really, those footsteps couldn't been anything; A passing animal, or a trick of the wind. It wasn't until the figure drew close enough to be visible to the boy (though he'd have to turn around to see it) that it became clear those footsteps belonged to a person-- a person who, after taking a moment's time to examine closely, was taken aback by surprise at the sight of the young man who sat before them. The figure, eyes widened, couldn't help but call out to the young man; A voice that he'd likely be familiar enough with to recognize immediately.

"...Treasure-friend? Is... Is that you?"

Translucent wings fluttered slightly at the possibility; Silvery eyes, already wide with emotion, began to well up ever so slightly with a mist of tears. Her heart raced. She felt as though she couldn't think straight-- as though she were lost in a fog, unsure of where she was going... only to see a waystone appear before her. A light in the darkness. Something... familiar.

"I--" She began, a conflicted look on her face, her hands hesitant to reach out to the figure of the young man sitting ahead of her. She was lost, confused... scared. What if it wasn't him? What if it was someone who would hurt her again? She didn't want to hurt anymore; She never wanted... any of this. Her voice caught in her throat; as if it pained her to even think of speaking. But she... had to. She had to say something... she had to reach him. "...I'm... sorry... f-for everything, I... I made you sad... friends... shouldn't make friends sad." Her voice trembled; Warmth rushed to her face as she struggled to hold tears of her own back.

"...I'm... I'm so sorry... Please... please be my friend... Please..."

LostSoul

He sat still, locked in his thoughts before things got dark, he slowly removed his hands from his eyes, he glanced, torches were out. Either the wind, or some other malady was here with him. He slowly rested his arms on his legs and waited, he glanced as he heard gentle foot steps, he pulled his sword out, resting it in his lap and waited. He turned slowly to face this person, slowly looking up, his face serious, what would he fa-

His eyes went wide, what? The dragon? His face immediately fell, oh no, her ghost. He frowned, but smiled, despite the sadness he felt.

"Aye friend, its me..." he said, sheathing his sword and listening, but also glancing around, he knew that ruins did strange things...he hoped he wasn't under the effects, his focus mostly on the ghost. He grinned.

"Its ok little one, I made a promise, I nay plan to back out on it." he said sadly, his face firming up, did she even know she was dead? How could he tell her that. He made a motion for her to sit, this hurt, a lot for some reason. He glanced around again, not wanting to be a victim of some fiend who casted illusions, he would make that being pay...this pain...no person should feel it.

For now though, he stayed relaxed, calm, smiling contently, he was happy to see her...but she looked hurt. He chuckled,

"And its ok...we all make mistakes, even I."

Hyacinthus

"Friend? Little one?"

Footsteps approached. These were far, far noticeable, though; They weren't hastened in any way, or heavy-set; They were simply close, closer than would've made any realistic sense for Godfrey to have not noticed up until this point. They belonged to a young man; Or at least, the voice that accompanied them implied as much. The figure that the footsteps belonged to was shrouded by a purple longcoat; One of design and quality that didn't quite seem to fit Serendipity or Essryni fashion in any direct way. Blackened shoes tapped with each step, one after another, up a set of stairs leading towards where Godfrey had been speaking; Silver hair could be slightly made out from beneath the hood of the long coat he wore, as well as a strange necklace; One with a purple jewel at it's centerpiece.

"Ah... Apologies if I'm interrupting... some sort of rehearsal?" As the figure closed in on Godfrey's location, he looked about; The way the other guy had been speaking just now, he expected to see someone else up here with him; Instead, there was no one but the swordsman and himself. One might expect someone like the hooded figure to be a bit more cautious of walking straight up to a guy talking to himself; Yes, it was very odd indeed, but he didn't seem to think about it-- instead just continuing to interact with this odd fellow. "I heard a voice, and I thought I might come and investigate. They say these Fae ruins can sometimes hold lingering Fae magic, long after they're abandoned; I suppose we humans can only imagine the true extent of what the fairy folk are capable of. Then again... I don't really sense any magic at play here."

True to the hooded man's words, there truly was nothing there; No ghosts, no Fae illusions. Who could truly say what it was that Godfrey saw-- But what was certain was that as soon as the hooded man showed up, it was gone, without a trace. Not typically one to leave undue pauses of silence in a conversation, the man continued, reaching out with a friendly hand for shaking, if the swordsman so chose to do so. "Where are my manners-- I am Kuo, a humble merchant. I normally am not so far away from civilization, but something called me here, and when I arrived, I found you... doing whatever you were doing. Nice to meet you all the same..." He trailed his words off, inviting Godfrey to introduce himself in kind; A kindly glint in his auburn eyes... as well as a hint of something more, deep, deep within.

LostSoul

He glanced as he heard voices, he looked back the figure gone. He stared hard for a moment, suppressing a welling pain deep inside, he swallowed before turning and shaking his head

"Uh nay...seeing things, ruins be like that eh?" he said with a grin, he tried to make it cheery and failed before swallowing and waving as he looked the man up and down, strange figure, merchant maybe? Why stop at ruins though?

He shrugged

"Nice to meet ya ser, and aye, these ruins most certainly do I would assume...aye, the fair folk to have thar tricks." he said nodding, his eye twitching, no magic? Was he starting to go crazy...dang, maybe he needed to stay at home for a bit? Its hard to save people when you're the crazy one...or maybe thats whats needed now days?

He stood up, offering the merchant his leather gloved hand, taking Kou's in a mighty shake with a big grin "Godfrey at yar service ser, adventurer, was explorin these ruins here, just got done, maybe something called ya? Lots of things in me sack that I got, and aye, nice meeting ya, excuse me if I do be tense...can't trust some of these ruins aye?" he said as he plopped down after a good hearty squeeze of the hand, then patted his sack full of baubles he pulled from the place, maybe they were magical.

He raised a brow, maybe this was like a magical merchant of some sort? Perfect, he could sell his baubles here and not have to try and carry them into town, he rested happy with a grin, gotta stay happy some how, at least he got to see her again, maybe helped put her at ease? He went to open his sack to show some baubles, and not like they could leave easily with this rain.

Would he normally be put off, probably, but he was in a strange mood, and seeing things, might as well go for the full ride.

Hyacinthus

"Ah, Godfrey, then. Pleasure to make your acquaintance. Would you mind if I..." He began, before ultimately just following through with his intentions and turning to take a seat next to the adventurer, relaxing his legs a bit. Relatively safe from the rain, Kuo reached up and pulled back the hood of his coat; Fully revealing his darker skin and silver hair, though the angle he sat at next to Godfrey and the lighting of the area in general made it difficult to tell if his eyes were a pleasant shade of amber, or a fiery shade of red.

For some time, he sat quietly; Godfrey displayed some of the odds and ends that he had collected during his foray into the ruins earlier, and Kuo nodded politely with a smile on his face as he took note of each of them. There were moments when it seemed as though Kuo's expression became blank; As if he was mentally preoccupied or distracted by something else entirely. Those moments didn't last unusually long though, and before long he was back to his normal smiling self. "Ah, I see. You gathered quite the unique collection of items; I'm sure you'll be able to sell them for a modest price at the nearest major city. The people of Serendipity do enjoy their baubles and artifacts, after all." He explained, before looking back out into the heavy, jungle-like woodlands ahead of them.

"You mentioned being a bit tense, earlier-- Did you not clear the ruins in their entirety? I can't imagine anything in a place like this gave you much of a challenge, Godfrey." It was an honest question and assumption, at least to Kuo, though he already knew the answer-- After all, most adventuring folk normally wouldn't give up progress into a dungeon or ruin like this one until they'd either scoured it's every hall... or ran into trouble they couldn't handle. He didn't want to imply anything, of course; He just wanted the honest truth out of Godfrey. After all, no good long-term relationship was built on lies.

LostSoul

He would nod, and then began showing the merchant after he had a seat the various things he found.

He nodded as the man began to speak again, a slight frown, shoot, not a taker. He began to tie the bag before lifting a brow and laughing, focusing on his work.

"Aye, as I said, seeing things, and nay, plenty of trouble had a golem in it besides traps and what not, pretty sure I cleaned things up...or made more of a mess, err, I'm hoping I did, have no fear ser, things are cleaned up as far as I'm aware." he said nodding with a grin.

"Now, what was it ya were looking for?" he asked curiously, meaning, why else would this merchant be here? He tilted his head curiously, sometimes glancing about, who knows, he may see other ghosts or something, or whatever it was he saw.

Hyacinthus

Kuo's eyebrows raised; He nodded slowly, listening to Godfrey's tale of spelunking the ruins behind them. "A golem, is it? How interesting. But no match for you, it would seem; 'Nary a wound on you, from what I can tell... Or are you familiar with healing magic? Ah, well-- all is well that ends well, as they say, right?" He chatted, impressed with Godfrey's exploits. In truth, the young man didn't fight the golem-- he knew this too-- but that wasn't the question. "I'm more than happy to take your word for the ruins being safe-- Now that I'm here, I can tell that whatever it is that called to me, it was certainly not in there. That said, I'm certain that there will be others that come behind me at some point to study this place-- with the traps disabled and the golem defeated, it will surely be a great boon to them not to worry."

Godfrey eventually asked about Kuo, and the young man stretched his legs a bit, enjoying the feeling of being able to rest them for a little while. "'What' indeed." He then crossed his legs, finding it to be a rather comfy position to rest them in before he continued. "I mentioned before that something called me here-- Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure what it was. I never am, in truth; Not until I answer. This time, whatever it was called me here... and the only thing I find is you, Godfrey." There was a strange sentiment to his words, as if he were implying that, somehow, it really WAS Godfrey that somehow brought him out here. He didn't elaborate any further, though; Not on what he normally 'finds', nor on what this 'calling' entailed; Instead, he changed the subject... somewhat.

"Well. In either case, I would be remiss to not offer my wares to you, seeing as fate seems to have brought us together. Tell me, Godfrey, as I am a humble merchant-- What is it you desire? Perhaps I can provide it." He asked, a serene smile on his face as he turned to look at the young man in earnest now.

LostSoul

He glanced over, laughing some more "I wish I had some magic, nay, the skeletons nay so bad, I just ran from the golem, collapsed the room on it, even a hunk of stone is going to have a hard time if even bigger stones are on it, the weight of Yalthnea is immense ya know." he said nodding, he nodded again.

"Aye, will be a good spot for those researcher types, nay my expertise, but I'm planning to head over to give them the info me thinks, they always have more info on ruins in return." he said nodding, how many more ruins connected to his goddess would he have to go through to find something of magic use? Or even connected to his people? He shook his head, as many as it takes probably.

He looked over again as the merchant spoke once more, he raised another brow as he looked about "I certainly hope ya nay looking for me, I'm just a farm boy ser." he said with a laugh, normally he would be thrilled, someone knew him, on the other hand, he recently just heisted a false death ruse, so he was slightly less thrilled, maybe someone figured out? Naaaa, Missendria wouldn't go reveal herself like that...he hoped.

He grinned, there's the merchant offering wares "Alright, lets see what ya have, bet ya won't leave me alone otherwise unless I take a peak any how." he said chuckling before tilting his head "Desire? Lots of things, depends on more what ya selling thar." he said  looking about, did he bring a cart or something? OH! A magical merchant? Now he was curious, it glimmered with green specks in his eyes.

Hyacinthus

Kuo nodded, smiling all the way as Godfrey explained his plans. Not a bad idea, really; Surely the historians would either pay for the location of the ruins or, at the very least, report it to the guild and share a modest reward with the young man. Perhaps there wasn't much of particularly obvious value in Godfrey's sack, but surely someone would find something of worth among the items he collected. He even maintained a smile through the young man's mention of Yalthnea; Something of a god-vessel himself, there was always something so unsettling to the idea of people worshipping such exalted beings. Perhaps Kuo simply didn't have the upbringing to understand it-- or perhaps being so close to the God-King Escher as he was, it made him uncomfortable to think people could be so blind as to pray to an idea, rather than meet the one behind the curtain.

"Hahaha-- I fear my comprehension of what dictates someone as being 'just a farm boy' might not match yours... At the very least, most farmers I've met are not so capable as to clear a ruin and defeat a golem. You really mustn't sell yourself short, friend." He explained, nodding with his words of encouragement-- It was always good to know one's worth, after all, lest you be taken or used for less. In Kuo's line of work, that could be... problematic. "But alas, it does not seem it was you. Perhaps some lingering Fae magic-- Who can say. But enough about that-- you asked about my wares?"

Not too far off from behind them, however, there truly was a figure there. Behind one of so many columns nearby that led further into the ruins, tears dropped from the face of a young dragonette; The tiny splashes against the old stone floor were drowned out by the downpour just outside. She'd sunk to the floor some time ago; Her arms wrapped around her knees, pulling them close to her chest, her translucent tail coiled loosely around her body. She shivered; her body cold, no warmth nearby to bring her comfort, her face buried into her chest, as if she were trying to hide from the world. "...Please... please don't... leave me..." She whispered, terror in her voice, though it too was drowned out by the rain.

"'Desires' is indeed the best way to describe it. I'm a merchant of miscellany, you see. I specialize in... Hm...?" Kuo began, before being seemingly distracted by something or someone. Slowly, he turned his head further into the cave; Scanning the surroundings, walls, cracks in the floor and pillars nearby, but finding nothing. Indeed, the ruin entrance was empty in it's entirety; Not a soul other than himself and Godfrey. "...Ah, I see now. Interesting." He off-handedly noted to himself, before turning his attention back to Godfrey. "As I was saying-- I specialize in selling exactly what my customers desire-- Be it the material or immaterial. I work with them to understand exactly what they want, and provide it-- from weapons and armor of the greatest quality, to spells and incantations capable of slaying dragons with ease. You could say I limit my sales to exactly what any one person wants most-- I find that folks who mindlessly buy things in the pursuit of fulfillment never actually end up fulfilled. It's only when one's heart's truest desire is obtained that they can find fulfillment-- and true fulfilment tends to be worth any price." He explained, trying to make sense of his own arrangements. Perhaps he could've simply said 'I am a god-like being that grants wishes', but in his experience, humans didn't respond very well to that. Granted, humans were often quite suspicious individuals as a whole, so even longer explanations weren't always enough-- and there were of course always though who simply didn't believe in anything that came to them in any way other than through their own physical labors... respectable folk, but ultimately useless to someone like him.

LostSoul

Godfrey glanced up, he felt off today, with merchants and ghosts popping up it felt...empty? He chuckled

"Haven't met many farmers have ya ser? Got strong wills...got many things to accomplish and many willing to drag thar plows to the ends of the earth to do it when they set thar minds to task." he said nodding before grinning

"Nay nay, I didn't defeat it, trapped it me thinks, defeated would me non functioning stone that isn't trying to squish ya." he said still grinning, he did tilt his head and glance at the ruins, so there was magic...huh, He glanced back to listen to his sales pitch. His head slowly tilted the other way, a merchant that sells true hearts desires? Pffft, always catches this those...though he won-

He turned his head towards where he heard the voice. That was a cry for help, he didn't care if he was going crazy, he was going to help, he made a promise. He got up mid conversation and started walking over to the spot, not even talking to the man, just walking over to the spot to make sure there was a figure, eyes going wide that there was. There was Lusca, ghost, spirit, or something else. Maybe his own imagination? It didn't matter, he was going to do what was right in his gut, he was going to do something, he wasn't going to watch again, he wasn't going to fail again.

Godfrey was not in a good mental state, he was not taking breaks to care for himself, just work, every day, no play. No one to explain his troubles, not even returning home as of recently, then this happened? He went to pick up what ever was there, he was needed and he would answer.

"I-I got something to do, no time for merchants." he mumbled, going to walk back to get the pack, eyes glazed, almost zealously focused on task, much like a someone set on a task, but not just a person, a hell met automaton that wouldn't stop until he fell apart level of determination beneath that semi crazy glazed look, what ever he was going to do, he was going to do it.

Hyacinthus

Light sniffling echoed out from behind the pillar, though the hidden figure tried to suppress it. She couldn't help it. The cold... it felt as though it were growing worse. It felt as though frost was sinking into her-- deep into her translucent skin, freezing her blood, piercing her bones. It hurt... So much that she wanted to scream. She wanted to scream, and thrash about, and fight against it... but she couldn't. She simply... couldn't. Was this... punishment? This pain that she felt, this overbearing loneliness... Did she deserve this?

"Certainly true, on both parts. But very few drag their plows as far as you have. Strong dreams-- strong desires-- have that effect. They change a person... cause them to reach beyond their station. Before you know it, you're someone entirely different from the person you..." He began to explain, before Godfrey, mid-sentence, stood up and walked further into the ruins. Kuo blinked, a bit confused. Was it something he said? His eyes watched the adventurer as he walked-- not wandered-- straight over to a particular pillar, a fervent look in his eyes. He watched for a moment, a bit intrigued at his actions, before suddenly, in his mind, the last piece of the puzzle clicked. "...Ah... I see. Curiouser and curiouser..." He mumbled to himself, a gentle, knowing smile on his lips as he, too began to stand.

Godfrey truly did not waste any time making his way over to the figure of the dragonette, who's shivering had just barely become visible to the normal eye. Yet as he reached down to grab her, to take her into his arms, he was met with... nothing. His hands, oddly enough, passed right through her; And as they did so, she flinched-- not in pain, but perhaps in fear. "He'll... he'll hate me..." She managed through breathless sobs, squeezing her knees to her chest even tighter, yet not looking up. "I just... I just wanted... I'm sorry... please don't... hate me... forgive me... It's... so... so cold..." And as she spoke, her voice, with every word, seemed to grow more and more distant. To Godfrey's eyes, the translucent figure would begin to vanish, slowly yet surely, until all that remained was a voice-- a pained, tearful whisper on the wind.

"...Don't... leave... me..." And then, silence once more.

Kuo hadn't so much as made it halfway to where Godfrey had bolted over towards before he was already rushing past him again, an unnatural haste in his steps, like a man possessed. He watched for a moment as the boy gathered his things, before eventually nodding to himself. This was truly quite the unique situation... even to him.

"...What was her name, if you wouldn't mind my asking?" He eventually spoke, leaning against the pillar that Godfrey had been fiddling about moments earlier. "She must've thought quite highly of you. Up until the very end, I imagine. Although... I can't help but wonder if those feelings were unrequited." He pondered aloud, looking down at the base of the pillar, where the figure once sat. It may have been questionable before, given the angle and the lighting on his face, but there was no mistake now; Kuo's eyes glowed a fierce shade of red, swirling with a magic unknown to man. "At the very least... she seems to think so. Quite an unfortunate way to go; Abandoned, in your mind, by the person you held closest."

LostSoul

He ignored everything else, just rushing over, going to bring her back, maybe if he could bring it to a-

he looked down, she was gone, he held his breath looking about, no, no no no no no no no no.

He took a couple steps back as he looked about, searching franticly, his breathing picking up to hyper ventilation, she was gone again, he had failed the same person twice? No no no no.

Tears were streaming down his face, once again back in the cave, watching his greatest failure, no longer in the rain, but the cave, blood splattering his face, the naga telling him how foolish and weak he was. His hand went to his sword, blinking as he was back. He needed to calm down he-he wasn't right. Someone was still here, he shook his head, trying to listen, it sounded so distant.

His face was pale, eyes disoriented and dancing about, standing like a warrior ready for combat.

"Lusca...nay remember the entirety of it...what?" he said looking over, his eyes shooting up as he saw the fiery red, the ghost, the fire eyed one, it all made sense, a torturer of some kind. He snarled silently at the man, face turning paler

"Torturer, why do you bring a manner of ghosts on me? I nay abandoned her, I died trying to save her from her and my own ignorance, why are you here?"

he asked calmly, but madness in toned, probably of one about to tempt a violence, extreme violence, or at least thinking about or rationalizing what may be happening, hysterics or not, like attempts and finding a solution to this madness.

Despite this happening, the outside was still raining, the forest still quite, his bag of baubles was spilled from his attempts to pick at it before realizing he is missing something, he was also still hyperventilating, how fragile the mind can be, and how easy it was, even for those of strong will to break.

Hyacinthus

Quietly, innocuously, Kuo watched as Godfrey went through the motions of sudden grief; The confusion, the disbelief, even double and triple-checking himself as he ran back to his bag, looking as distraught as Kuo had thus far seen him. Quite the interesting reaction, he had to admit; He wasn't entirely sure what to expect of the boy's reaction to being able to see her, much less her own reaction to him. "I thought it was strange... but I suppose these things are to be expected." The silver-haired man muttered to himself, nodding and getting a little lost in his own thoughts for a moment's time, before Godfrey ultimately turned his blade on him. It could've been viewed as an act of hostility... but Kuo merely returned his full attention to the 'farmer' and smiled knowingly.

"Torturer? Surely not. I am just a humble merchant... just as you are just a farm boy. It's certainly beyond my ken to do something like torture another... I merely sell that which people desire." With a nod, the man crossed his arms, and looked down at the base of the pillar; As if he were seeing something that wasn't... couldn't, be there. "I certainly don't sell ghosts, for example. Typically, those who desire to see someone enough would prefer to see them alive." He noted, before looking back at Godfrey.

"Alas. As I mentioned before, I was called here. For a time, I wasn't quite sure why, but as I arrived, the only person I found here was you." He'd given the same cryptic spiel earlier; Now, however, as he stepped away from the pillar, he had a bit more to say. "It's not often that I'm drawn to such places.. any place, truly. Typically, if someone... or something desires something enough, I arrive to fulfil that commission. As you were the only one here... It only seemed right that I offer my wares and services to you." He calmly reached into his coat pocket, and from it he pulled a single gold coin. He used it as a distraction, flipping and spinning it in his hand as the red glow in his eyes flickered brighter-- if only for an instant.

"I wonder... is that how you saw events? Trying to save her from her own mistakes... Or simply feeling guilt from someone else's suffering, and wanting to do something in order to clear your conscience? Or perhaps you wanted to play the role of the hero, for the sake of your own ego... None of those is wrong, of course... everything is a matter of perspective. For example," He said, turning his eyes back to the pillar that sat empty, and smiling again.

"Did she invite her own death upon her hands? Or...did she die trying to make you happy, perhaps-- and take it to mean that wanting your friendship, doing everything she could to hold tightly to it-- was the reason she died? Perhaps, her loneliness drove you to feel such spiteful emotions towards her-- feelings that she couldn't comprehend until now. Feelings that destroyed her comprehension of your... 'friendship', and caused her to realize that she is little more than a monster that hurts others. How could such a creature ever make a true friend of... 'just a farm boy', was it?" He hypothesized, flipping the coin in his hands. "All a matter of perspective, Godfrey. Yours... and someone else's."

LostSoul

He watched, he was going to pull the blade at any moment, he just needed to wait until he was distracted...he was the one causing this right?

He listened, standing stock still, waiting, waiting for a chance. He went to draw the blade when the coin was flipped. But stopped as the vents of the dragon cave played out, time slowing as he watched in each rotation what happened, all in time with the words, like he was forcing himself to listen before madness took hold.

He took a step back, shaking his head

"N-no I ha-have a clear conscien-." he stopped his shaking speech, his look pained, he was guilty, he was guilty he couldn't save her, he was guilty he couldn't be the hero...not because of his ego...was it? Why did he originally set off? What made his drop the plow and choose the sword? To change his fortune, to be the one in the castle, to have a beautiful fat wife. Selfish reasons, not a pure one, just glory seeking...no, no, he did want to help, he wanted to make a difference, he wanted to leave a mark.

His breaths shaky as he took another step back, eyes dancing madly, head downward as he thought. He did try to save her from hi-no, it was originally hers, but he had a hand, how differently it may have ended if he said something different? If only he did something else...but that also wasn't right, he would of did the same thing again, she couldn't even stop the naga, and she was a dragon.

He was spiteful, he thought the dragon sought to manipulate what he perceived as friendship, not thinking of what she thought as a friend, he should of corrected it, defined it, she was alone? Did he not understand that feeling now? Going for place to place, saving people, yet having no friend, no companion, and yet so far away from home?

Why did he seek to be guilty? Why did he seek to carry the burden...was it because she died? That if he did something differently, everything would be fine? Did he seek guilt cause he didn't kill the naga. That he thought he had the power and failed? That he thought himself too high, only for the naga to be right, that he was just a boy? Was she just a monster? He saw her as one...but he failed to see her side.

The man was right, it was a bruise to his ego, he wanted to play the hero and was shown that he couldn't be in that moment, his dream ripped before him and the ugly, miserable truth shoved to touch his eyes, showing the delusion had ended, that the show turned off its lights. Then he made a promise so that cover would never be ripped off, that he would be the star he so desperately wanted...did he even get closer? After all this time.

He was almost catatonic in thought, the thoughts looping as he asked himself questions until he blinked, refocusing on what was, and what wasn't, his hand moving away from his sword. Perspective? If its perspective could he not choose what is and what isn't? Only someone with power could do that...did he have that power? His eyes glazing over once again with thought, once again fighting himself, like a mind cracked, almost shattered, but not yet broken.

Hyacinthus

"Guilt, I've found, comes in many forms, Godfrey. There are some who feel guilt over taking from others, even if it means that they may live for a day longer. There are also those who feel guilt over their lack of action— the difference they feel they could've made in another's life. Guilt, after all, is most commonly a response to the desire for a better reality... The result of a dreamer who faces reality, unable to change it. Guilt, then, is a response to the inability to make one's dreams a reality."

Kuo approached the lost Godfrey with a welcoming, knowing smile; his eyes glowing ever fiercer, as if soon to threaten to swallow the poor boy whole. "The power to make one's dreams a reality... to change perception itself. Such power... is very much attainable, you know." He came to stand next to Godfrey; his right arm draped around the young man's neck as he reached to his chin and lifted his gaze a bit. He wanted him to see... to understand what he could do. What should do. For to bring one's desires to life, one must be capable. Of truly visualizing them.

As Godfrey's eyes raised from the floor beneath his feet, he was met with an impossible sight— He was, once more, in the cave. The downpour of the rain throughout the forest died down to the occasional dripping of water droplets from the high cave ceiling; the glimmer of golden treasures reflecting from the ghostly, magical candles on the walls. A gust of wind would push past his head—a flap of translucent dragon wings mid-battle, which chased down a very familiar Naga. This scene... all too familiar to the young man.

And so on it played; the piercing jets of water, the blow-for-blow battle. A thrown spear, a fallen dragon. A pointed blade, ready to bifurcate a weakened, defenseless foe... interrupted. By what, though? After all, that never happened... Godfrey knew what happened. Yet as he would see, the five that stopped the Naga from piercing down... was Godfrey himself. Indeed, Godfrey— who, in a dire moment of seeing a chance to prove himself as the great hero he knew he could be, pulled himself from the ground, his body screaming at him— yet he ignored the pain and pressed on, the way only a true hero could. And with all of his might, he broke the limits of his own perceived strength, and leapt forth, blade in hand, with a might battle cry— One which shook the Naga's resolve to its core.

She could not turn in time enough to stop him; He was too close, his blade too fast. With all of his being he swung that sword— and one swing was enough, it seemed, to fell the Naga huntress once and for all. Yes, as Kuo made him watch, Godfrey would see it all... The gratitude and apologies of his draconian friend, who's admiration for his bravery grew to practical worship. Her acknowledgment of her foolishness, and vow before Godfrey to never harm, by accident or purpose, another human again. His return to Serendipity, great treasures and a mighty new spear in tow, as his legend grew...

"You need only change your perspective, friend." And in an instant, it was gone— like a dream, or powerful illusion. Once again, he and Kuo stood alone... in the cold of the ruins. In the reality that Godfrey so desperately struggled with. "And I can help you do that... for a modest price. Come... Let us change the narrative. Save her, Godfrey. Find the strength within yourself, if only for a moment, to prevent this tragedy from ever happening. You'll be a savior... her savior. A hero. Take back the dream that was stolen away from you by that woman. You need only take my hand... and let go of those painful memories, deep within your heart."

And so, Kuo moved to stand in front of the "farm boy" who WOULD be a hero... and extended his hand. The glow of his eyes pierced straight into the young man's soul— as if he were looking not at the flesh and blood that made Godfrey who he was, but something deeper... something 'truer'. "Well, my friend... what do you say? He who has not, shall gain... and he who has, shall not take. Suffering cedes success... Won't you make a deal with me?"

LostSoul

Eyes go up as Kou approaches, taking another step back, the glowing eyes coming closer

"S-stay ba-"

His chin lifted, gasping as he was sucked into what could be. That he did save the day, smote the naga, saved the dragon, and walked back a hero. What a life, what he wanted and so desired at that very moment. To come back, a dragon as a friend, a powerful spear in hand, a start to his legend! A HERO MADE!

A smile coming too his face, hand reaching out to take the hand, to settle the deal, what did it matter, he would have his goal, he would be the hero, everything he ever wanted, the pride of his parents in knowing he was a hero, the success, the glory. He would be legend he wou-

His hand stopped, almost touching Kou's finger tips he was so close, his smile fading. What would happen to all the success he worked for up to this moment? All the people he saved, the monsters he's slain? Everything he worked on up till this moment...gone.

His meeting with Missendria, the lesson he learnt by not saving the dragon...would he even still have that? Would he still have that promise? He would fulfill part of it, but would he still remember? Could he turn his back on all he worked on? That he may not save those children, that he may not learn the his lesson, that he would learn it even harder down the line? That he may not get a chance to see Missendria again? That he wouldn't have his chain, that he made a mistake that many made before him, making a wish that had its catch? Would it be worth it to this extent, when he already was in the eyes he saved a hero? In the eyes of his family he visited recently? That comforted him for his losses and hardness, that by over coming this pain, his failures, that he would be stronger, better, so that next time, he wouldn't fail, he would succeed.

If Kou was indeed looking deep into Godfrey, this was something he wanted so desperately. However, despite all of his good intentions, Godfrey was ambitious, desirous, he wanted what he wanted, and was hell bent to get it his way. Greedy in that he wouldn't give up what he held precious, and in gaining, he would loss, and he did not want to yield a single inch in his selfishness.

His eye twitched "Wish dealer, if we are making a deal, its that ya will be my friend, that ya will be by me side to watch me grow, grow, and grow until I'm legend, my people grown, my children many, my wives fattened, my family safe, my enemies dead at my feet. Until I'm history and all will remember my name. In return, I give my loyalty and sharing in my success, that I will be your friend until the end of my days. To show that I will make my dreams come through my own power, that I am a hero, not a wish given in selfish need, that is the deal I will make wish giver, and fair it is."

He said, eyes hardening with a fire. Deep within, there was an ambition of wanting more, of endless desire to see his goals through his own hand, even if the world would have to kneel, burn to ash or be destroyed, he would succeed to have it ALL. That was the evil of Godfrey, greed for success, lust for power, all for his happiness and his families. It didn't matter if the world ended, if all he loved was content, then it was all that mattered in the end.

Hyacinthus

Silence.

Kuo, somewhat surprised, stared blankly at the young man before him, who defiantly did what he hadn't expected; Not only did he reject his offer... he countered it. Certainly, this was a first— A deviation in the normal flow of Kuo's business. He's had people refuse his offers before— even been held at blade point just for offering. But this? Never before had someone... done this. For a moment, he closed his eyes; the glow of red vanishing behind his eyelids as he lowered his hand. And then... he smiled. Widely.

"..Ha," He began, before breaking out into a great and boastful laugh; One equal parts arrogant and terrifying, given the fact that the world around the two of them began to grow more and more silent— more and more distant. "Hahahahahahahahahaha! Ahahahahahahahahaha!!" As his laughter continued, the sounds of chains could be heard in the distance; from where, and in response to what, wasn't comprehend-able in the slightest. The world continued to grow fainter, more distant— before, after a few moments longer of his laughter, the cave Godfrey had been standing in was gone. The sounds of the rain, once more completely dissipating; all that was left was the sound of chains, which now rang louder and louder with every moment. So loud, in fact, that they practically seemed to be surrounding them; Indeed, if Godfrey were to look anywhere other than directly at Kuo, he would see them. Chains... chains everywhere. Chains covered the ground, ran from the ceilings— even the ground they stood upon was naught but chains. It was overwhelming and oppressing— but more horrifically, it was growing even louder.

"Ahaha... hah... Sorry. I didn't think you would make such an amusing claim. I'll have to record this for future dealings; It will say, 'He was offered redemption, and he offered in turn..." Kuo paused, attempting to put into words how he'd write this one out... After a few moments, however, he nodded and smiled... a very unsettling smile. "...His soul."

The chains suddenly shifted; the clattering and dragging growing louder still as one moment, they were on the ground— and the next, they were wrapping themselves around Godfrey and Kuo alike. It was an ensnarement; Illusion, dream or otherwise, both Godfrey and Kuo could very much feel the weight of the chains, and their constructing grasp as they snaked their way around the two of them. "'Loyalty'... 'sharing in success'. I suppose I should've prefaced my deal with a bit of warning, Godfrey— What I offer, what you pay... Are very literal concepts. You see, as a humble merchant, I can only take what is offered... and pay in equal value. Freeing you of your torments, in exchange for the memories that created them... A modest deal, of equal value. Giving you my undying patronage... My friend, you shall have what you ask for. But know that it is only proper that my patronage is worth far more than any mortal could dare hope to attain. And so, our deal must be somewhat amended; The only reasonable price you can pay... is your soul."

Suddenly, the chains pulled on Godfrey; specifically his right hand, wrenching it forward towards Kuo, who's right hand was also outstretched. They were to meet... with a handshake. Kuo's eyes flared red with anticipation; His grin widening as the gap closed between them... Their hands touching once more.

"Godfrey... The deal, is sea—"

"STOP!!!"

Suddenly, the chains stopped. The constricting force behind them remained, but Kuo couldn't quite close his hand around Godfrey's own. The somewhat crazed smile on his face died down, as his eyes turned away from the farm boy and towards the young, tearful voice that called out to them. Indeed, they were not alone; As Kuo had already surmised, they never were. This was a realm of dreams, after all; Such anomalies could definitely occur, under the right circumstances. Slowly, from the shadowy depths of the realm of binding chains, a figure approached... The figure of a young woman of translucent skin, bioluminescent glows surfacing and fading from her body. Tears spilled endlessly from her silvery eyes, fear and despair in equal parts clouding her vision. She managed only a few more slow, staggered steps, before stumbling to the ground, unable to summon the courage to move any closer. No, she was far too afraid... of both of them. But she had to do something... anything... before her friend was taken away.

Kuo's eyes gleamed with joy, finally able to see. "Ah... at last, you show yourself to me. I must say, I'm not used to people cowering in fear from me... after all, it was YOU who called me here, wasn't it... Luscatella?" His words, while kind and seemingly warm, we're laced with such a piercing, disarming tone that Lusca couldn't help but shiver in fear before them. She wanted to run. She wanted to escape as quickly as she could— to be as far away from this situation as possible... but she couldn't. She... wouldn't.

"...Don't... d-don't do th-this... to my... my..." The tears flowed faster; Her heart pounding. She couldn't say it. Not after all she had done. Not after all the pain she'd caused him... not after the pain she felt from understanding it. Kuo lowered his hand and sighed, shaking his head as he turned to face the dragonet. "To your 'friend'? The one that was just offered to save your life in exchange for little more than the pain and suffering you caused him? The one who denied it, for his own selfish greed?" Lusca covered her ears and sobbed. She... she knew. Of course she knew. She was there the entire time... she saw it all. She wanted to scream, back then; to beg, plead for her life... but she couldn't. She was too afraid. How could she beg for her life, after causing him so much suffering? She deserved her fate... deserved the death she'd been trying to deny for so long. But this... She didn't want this. She didn't want him to suffer anymore... She didn't want Godfrey... her friend, to suffer. Even if it meant she had to disappear for that to be made possible.

"Don't hurt... my... friend. Please..." She begged, on her hands and knees; a slovenly sight for a dragon, to be sure; but whether it was to hide her teary eyes, or to show her sincerest pleas and submission, she didn't dare to raise her head. Kuo watched, quietly; Never before had he seen such deference of one's own desires for the sake of another. He couldn't comprehend it... and then suddenly, it clicked. Of course... this WAS her desire. Her dream. She wanted, more than anything, for Godfrey to be free... to be happy. It almost brought a tear to his eye— such a pure, genuine wish... wasted on a human. "I see... alas, Luscatella... It was not I who made this offer, but Godfrey. My role role in this is to collect the payment he has offered; My friendship, for—"

"Take mine."

Kuo's eyes widened; The smile leaving his face. Godfrey had caught him by surprise with his earlier antics, yes... but what Lusca was saying... a bead of sweat dropped down the side of his face in a rather uncharacteristic show of unsettled shock. "...Luscatella," He began, somewhat unsure of how to even respond to what he was sure he'd just heard, "You... Do understand what it means, don't you? That which was offered was—"

"His soul. His loyalty. Everything that he is and will be. I... I beg you; Take mine instead... and let him go."

LostSoul

Godfrey was confident that the wish dealer wouldn't accept his deal. Meaning, if he did, the first thing he was going to do was drag him to the cave Lusca was at and bring her back. He, however, was not ready, and ignorant to the fact that the wish maker was MUCH more then he thought. His face going pale as his soul was too be traded! He didn't want that! Nor the deal! He thought it fair! He went to jerk his hand back, but it was stuck in chains, he started to try harder. This was not what he wanted. He tried harder as the hand came closer

"Wait wait wai-" he desperately began to say, all he wanted was a friend! Sure, he wanted things, but most people did, but not sell his soul!? THAT WAS MADNESS!

He almost screamed before he heard a voice, he turned slowly

Lusca! His face fell as he began to shout

"No Lusca! Don't do it! It's a trick! Don't give yar soul do-" he stopped speaking as Kou began to speak, SELFISH GREED?! Sure, he was greedy, for a peasant, he wanted a lot, but he would NEVER, EVER not share, meaning, he had memories he would keep violently, and his own accomplishments, but to sacrifice her! AGAIN?!

He drew his sword with his spare hand  to strike at Kou, the devil! Chains wrapped around before he could strike him as he just started screaming too angry to even make words. He never wanted this! Nor this to happen, he just wanted a friend to get Lusca back.

He started to cry, this was like a nightmare that the harder he tried to get out, the bigger the hole became and it wouldn't end, no matter how hard he wanted it too. He shook his head at Lusca like don't do this "I don't want to loss you again! NO!" he tried to shout before being wrapped around his head in chains. How much more would he loss on his journey, He didn't want to loss anymore, he didn't want to be evil, he didn't want this, why, why why why why why why why why, all he had were good intentions, to make his dreams come through, to support is family, why was he the bad guy? Why him? Why, all he wanted is what was right for his family, for him, and all those he loved, not this, not to watch someone he failed to save sacrifice herself before his very eyes

Hyacinthus

"I... I won't..."

It was hard, but Lusca steeled herself; Even in the face of what felt like despair, she searched as far within her soul as she could for her courage, and held tight to it. "I won't... let you take him. Because... he... even if it was a lie... even if I deluded myself into thinking it... He was my friend!" She proclaimed, her fists clinched and shaking, but her stance firm. It seemed she wasn't going to run away after all.

The clatter of chains shifting and constricting rang out louder as Godfrey, in a righteous rage, attempted to lash out at Kuo-- only to be stopped by the entwining coils. Kuo, meanwhile, was still very much taken aback; His eyes fixed on the dragon before him, as though she were some sort of unfathomable concept. Counter-offers and equivalencies... This was truly turning out to be one of the more complicated contracts he'd ever written. As Godfrey began to sob in despair and Lusca's unwavering resolve made itself manifest, the Keeper of Temperance closed his eyes for a moment, and thought long and hard about the circumstances at hand... before reaching a relatively satisfying conclusion in his mind.

"...It's odd. I must admit that I though I understood the extent of your minds... of your dreams." Kuo spoke aloud, before opening his crimson eyes once more and staring upward, into the void of chains which surrounded the three of them. "There are certainly many lessons to be had here... Even I have learned something. Godfrey," He began, looking back to the boy with a changed expression-- not one of amusement or vindication, but a warm, yet admonishing gaze. "It's normally not my place to speak in defense of my clients. As I mentioned before, I am but a humble merchant-- My place is merely to give, and take, as my clients desire. However... The heart, the human heart, is a fickle thing. It wants what it wants, and will burn away the world-- and so many beautiful things within it-- to have it. Unmastered, it will rule you... and it's distorted desires will bring you nothing but hardship. Learn to master your heart, Godfrey. You need not temper your desires... but you must learn to discern the truth behind what it is you really, truly want. Perhaps, when that day comes... you might find the words to save her, as a proper hero should." He lectured, his words firm, yet with a layer of compassion behind them that they'd lacked before; And as he finished, he gave a smile. It was an oddly serene, soothing look for Kuo... one that told Godfrey, without so much as a word, not to worry-- that somehow, everything would work out fine.

That said, he turned to Lusca and approached her; The chains surrounding him allowing him freedom enough to walk for a time. He reached her after a few moments, and lowered himself to a knee-- just enough so that his slender, deft hand could take her by the chin and raise her crying eyes to meet his own. "Luscatella... Never have I seen a more beautiful, vivid dream. To some degree, I suppose I knew, all along. The dream that lured me here wasn't Godfrey's... it was yours. Even as your body lay desecrated and defiled beneath the depths of the ocean, you never truly died, did you? You chose to dream, instead... to hold on to some glimmer of life, an impossibility. And what a dream it was... a dream of happiness. A dream to live once more; To fly through the skies, and swim through the oceans. A dream to taste so many delicacies... A dream to find someone that would cherish you. A dream to cherish someone, with all of your being. Such a pure, dazzling dream... like a blinding light in the depths of darkness. And you would throw it away for someone else. You see such value in the world-- it's people, it's cuisine, it's wonders... but so little in yourself. I would ask that you value yourself a little more... A soul as bright as yours is invaluable."

He let her go, before standing once more, pondering to himself. "And I... have learned much. About the darkness within men's hearts, which resides alongside light... as well as more about the nature of dreams, and how the boundary between them can be used to change one's fate. You have both taught me quite a bit... It only makes sense that I would favor the two of you, if only a little." And so, the self-same chains that held Godfrey in place lashed out once more; This time, taking hold of the semi-translucent Luscatella, and surprising her as they forced her to her feet-- coiling around her in the same manner that they now coiled around Godfrey. Among those chains, both Kuo's right arm and Lusca's were connected by one-- In a similar manner to minutes prior, that chain pulled them together, resulting in Kuo's hand and Lusca's meeting; A strange, 'forced' handshake, that neither seemed to be resisting. "The deal... is sealed. Alas, Luscatella... your body fell in combat, deep beneath the depth of the Tuor ocean. Yet yours is quite the invaluable soul; That of a dragon. I can't offer you so little as my friendship... So I'll throw in this, as well."

And suddenly, a great flash of blinding purple exploded forth from Lusca's body, enveloping her in an instant-- Kuo would be next, then Godfrey, and before long the entirety of the world of chains was consumed by the bright, purple light. It lingered for a while-- longer than it was welcomed-- before dying down slowly, and revealing that, after everything that had happened, they were 'back' in the ruins... and the rains had died down. The chains were gone-- even the ones that wrapped around Godfrey had disappeared in the light. It was just he and Kuo now... and Lusca, who, to her own surprise, could feel the damp air of the ruins on her skin, and smell the humidity of the after-rain in the air. She looked down at her hands, at her feet, shifting her tail-- she could feel it. All of it. The cold... it was gone. "I... I'm... I'm alive...?" She could barely find the words-- her mind struggling to comprehend what was happening to her-- what had happened to her. Indeed, she was no longer translucent... though her body had changed, in many ways. The bioluminescence that brightened her more draconic features showed off a new gold-and-purple glow, as opposed to the blues and greens it did before. Even her physical form had, somehow, aged quite a bit; She no longer looked so young, her body filling out here and there as if she'd taken to adolescence in an instant. If nothing else, she looked somewhere around the same age as the two men who stood before her... Though she couldn't understand why.

"Close to it, at least." Kuo finally spoke up, after having taken a moment to examine the changes in her as well. "You did die, after all. That is a reality that cannot be denied so long as there are those who acknowledge it. The naga, for example... and Godfrey." He thought for a moment about what he'd say next; He could see Lusca's face visibly darken with despair at the very mention of that day, likely reliving the trauma of her own demise in her mind. "And yet you still dream. You still exist, if only in that dream. And so, I made a very minor impossibility happen in order honor our deal... and brought your dream into reality." At the mention of this, Lusca's eyes snapped back to Kuo in shock. Her dream... into reality? Was such a thing even truly possible? What was he saying?

"Th-then, I really am--"

"Alive, in a sense, yes. But you did trade your undying loyalty until the end of days for it. In a sense, you work for me now. Forever." The young man explained, as Lusca struggled to take in his words. "I believe this arrangement meets all of our requirements. The price of your soul is far greater than that of a human's, after all. I shall be by your side-- an advisor, or an overseer... or a friend, if you need one. I share with you my gift... that you may visit and leave the world of dreams as you will... and interact with the boundary between the two." He paused, gesturing to Lusca's new form-- as she was to understand it, a clear side-effect of Kuo sharing his powers with her. "I am, however, a merchant by nature... and I must continue to ply my trade. I should like your help with that-- collecting what needs to be collected, and providing what is agreed upon-- for the rest of time." He spoke in clear, certain terms; His voice never wavering, his gaze on her never faltering. Lusca began to react-- She started to refuse, to say something, anything-- before catching herself and pausing, taking a moment to truly consider her circumstances... and quietly nodding. "...I understand." She replied, her gaze cast away from both Kuo and Godfrey.