Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Spider Lily Blooms in Spring (Open)

Started by Hyacinthus, December 23, 2023, 01:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hyacinthus

The morning lark, the evening sparrow. The softest touch of frost before eternal slumber. The blinding brilliance of life's peak, the desolate void that is it's end.

He wandered the world, adjacent to them all. His footsteps bringing decline and decay, beautiful and sorrowful in their own ways. He was the king of the autumn clan, the golden-red throne in the southern reaches of the Unseelie Court. He was the heritor of the final days of life, who ushered in the season of gentle rest before the long night and the end of the cycle. He was the third of the Fairy Kings of Seasons-- The Fairy of Sorrows, known by his subjects as 'Tyrnalhann, the Longing One'.

"A-Aaahhh! Crap, it still hurts a bit..."

"It's not too late for him to just chop the leg right off, y'know-- And we've got the funds from that last quest. You'd look good with a stump!"

"Fuck off, Marlow! Ugh... Thanks again, doc. Dunno what you're doin' all the way out here, but you're one hell of a life saver."

"My pleasure. You two take care on your way back to town, now!"

Granted, Erste (as he much preferred to be called) didn't particularly care for such titles-- or responsibilities, to be honest. The seasons came and went with or without his presence at court-- so he made the most of the time he had and did as he pleased. He wandered the lands of Le'raana, often in search of the adorable little saplings that now littered the land with their intriguing structures and their silly little disputes. Mortals were such amusing creatures-- he couldn't fathom how so many of his kin were opposed to showing themselves before their ilk.

Take for instance, those two. As Erste waved kindly at the departing pair of adventurer-types, the brash, insecure boy... Hector, was it? And his doting partner, too afraid of rejection to share her own feelings, Marlow. They'd crossed paths with him on their way into... oh, what did the mortals call these lands... Featherfall? Yes, that sounded right-- and it was during their chance encounter that the autumn fae noticed the festering wound that Hector had received likely some few days prior. He could barely stand-- supported in body and spirit by Marlow as they prayed that they could make it back to civilization in time enough to save him.

It was always so tragic to see such young saplings wilting away before they had their chance to bear fruit, so Erste couldn't help but interfere-- applying the knowledge he'd accrued from his own time among mortal medicine-makers to draw out some of the poison that coursed through the boy's veins. Enough, at least, that he might survive the rest of the way to his home town. Erste smiled kindly as their silhouettes disappeared into the distance, before he closed his eyes, and took in the afternoon air, and the gentle breeze that seemed to caress and envelop his very being.

Yes, the boy would certainly die soon. He was quite familiar with the poison that he'd pulled from his wound-- It was born of the fangs of a wild fae-- primitive creatures that often dwelled within his domain. There was a cure, but retrieving it meant he'd have to return home-- and that would mean the most horrible of fates for him...

...Getting scolded by his subjects again. Oh, what tragedy... Yet, his endearment with the mortal adventurer-lovers was such that he had long-since made the decision to endure it for their sake.

visualspice

When she had first sensed the peculiar pull, the peculiar smell of decay- she couldn't help but follow it. She made herself grow smaller, only to a cricket in size, keeping a claok over her form- just incase the unusual magic was a threat. 

But it intrigued her, it was like summer and winter combined- of warmth but.. death.  Could this be the powers of autumn the other's tended to talk about? She thought it unfair she'd never seen it- but it was explained it was simply the opposite of she- and that their paths were not fated to cross. 

Tsk. If that were true, then how could she believe the autumn fae were real? But then she sensed something- when she had been scolded it was 'too early for spring ' and soon found herself watching some man use spring magics on a human.

But not enough to fully heal. So the young sprig of spring followed after, giggling beneath her veil as she sprinkled unseen healing upon the man. His leg would come around.  And she felt pride for it. 

And as the pair departed onward their path- she zipped up into the trees and danced lightly among the tree branches..
And where leaves were falling off in the colors of autumn.. bright green buds began to glow.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Hyacinthus

"Naughty, naughty. Even I don't go that far for the little saplings."

Erstwhile had a mind to begin his journey back home, into the faelands proper in pursuit of a medicine for the boy's leg. He was a clever fae-- He, too, could've neutralized the poison proper from the boy's body with a bit of autumn's grace, but despite his otherwise odd appearance among mortals, he never revealed his cards if he didn't need to-- the mortals were still much too young, too naive to truly understand and accept it.

Yet there were some fae who did-- tricksy ones, and enamored ones who could not resist the allure of the young races and their strange ways. Erstwhile had encountered many a fae of the sort in his cycles-- Blindingly ambitious and arrogant summer fae, and haughty, ruthless winter fae who saw such interactions with mortals as 'inevitable'.

It wasn't often he spied a fairy of the spring clan. Yet he could only think to himself, as he watched life breathe itself unnaturally into not only a tree nearest to the younglings, but also his own birch staff, that it was all the more refreshing to meet another after so long.

Having awaited the two mortals' to leave earshot, Erste's eyes climbed the verdant tree, and an amused smile graced his features. Even if his noble fae eyes couldn't see here, it was more than clear to him what was in those branches-- or rather, who. It was adorable-- perhaps she had not noticed him? Though he, too, wore a veil of fae illusions, it was merely to hide his crown and 'horns', making him appear nearly-human to the mortal eye. To a fae, with a close enough look... It wasn't really fooling anyone. "Well, you did save me a trip back home, so I suppose I can keep a secret... But if you really must play with them, I find it easier to do so when they can see me." He 'lectured', though he knew his words held no sway over a Spring Fae.

visualspice

A few more sparkles and sprigs of fresh growth would curl up from his wooden staff as she unseeingly sprinkled her powers across it.

Then he might feel a little wind zip around him before the figure of a young woman blossomed before him. She was just under 5 feet tall and remained perched along a large blue blossom.  She wore seemingly absolutely nothing, while long rivers of ocean colored hair fell about her body. And the tiniest, snowflake sized butterflies flittered around her as she leaned forward and examined the other fae with a curious tilt of her head.

"You smell funny. Like old sunshine."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Hyacinthus

Erste couldn't help but chuckle at the vibrant life that was his new fairy friend. 'Funny' and 'like old sunshine' were certainly ways to describe him, he couldn't deny that. He took no offense— were he a few cycles younger, perhaps he, too, might've been a little perplexed by how pretty and free the far before him was.

"Quite old, yes." And just as soon as the newly-born leaves flushed across the birch branch did they begin to beam with virility, as if reaching the peak of life itself— before wilting red, and falling from his staff shortly after. He smiled, watching the process. "A spring fairy, in a place like this? Are you lost, little one?"

His curiosity likely paled in comparison to her own— the few Spring fae he had met in the past were absolute bundles of energy in their own ways. Some particularly silly ones even ventured aimlessly into his domain— thankfully without incident. The wild fae in his little corner of the fae lands were not always exactly hospitable... but such was the way of the Unseelie courts.

visualspice

She made a face at his reply. 
"Lost? Why would you think that. "

She studied his form, taking in careful consideration on the details of his clothing before vines and flowers blossomed down her body- and a matching outfit- although more dainty and green- now clothed her body.  She smiled triumphantly at this and spun, little laces of white and tiny, bell like flowers clung and swayed softly in accent on her dress and hair. 

"Are you  lost?" She found herself asking, suddenly wondering if that'd why he said it. She leaned in closer when she asked- and he'd be able to smell the sweet, fresh flowers ornamenting her hair. 

She smelled like a valley after the rain. 

Hyacinthus

Erste smiled at her adaptation of social cues-- as well as how happy with herself she seemed to be in doing so. In his mind, he couldn't help but ponder on the amusing nature of the situation-- Any other autumn fae might've been nearly repulsed by her sprightly, energetic aura, and the refreshing scent of dew and pine the very air around her carried. They wouldn't have been wrong to feel that way, he supposed; Just as the Summer and Winter fae often opposed one another with valiance and ruthlessness, so to did the fairies of renewal often shy away, even if unconsciously, from those of decay, and vice versa.

A shame, really. Spring fae were always so fun to be around.

"Quite lost, yes. But that's alright; You have to be lost in order to found." The southern wind blew gently, a coolness to it's flow that shushed the ebb and flow of the world around-- like a mother's finger pressed to a toddler's lips, as they lay their head upon a cloud-like pillow. "I much prefer to be lost, than found. I imagine I'll be found soon enough, though! I'm never lost for long. Certainly not for long enough..." It almost seemed like there was a complaint somewhere in that silly soliloquy of his.

visualspice

She giggled at his debate of words before clasping her hands behind her and tilting her head and gave him a curious smile.

"But you are already found," She went on pointedly. "By me!"

She beamed proudly at that.

"So what kind of fae are you?" She looked him up and down. "Summer fae? You don't look gloomy enough for winter."

Hyacinthus

The fairy adorned in red and gold beamed an evening's glow in the form of a gentle smile, quite amused at the Spring fae's antics. Ah, to have that much energy... to be that much energy. The literal beginning of the cycle-- life born anew, flourishing and bursting with innocence and possibility.

Thankfully, she was right-- if any fae were to find him right now, he was glad it was a Spring fae. A blissfully unaware one, it seemed, as she seemed quite unfamiliar with his very presence. It wasn't so unusual; Erstwhile and his clan were often mistaken as mere outcasts of the more prominent seasons. And yet...

"Not quite summer. Not quite winter. When the solstice wanes, and the high noon ends, the evening sparrow begins it's song. Where the brilliance of summer's song ends, and fangs of winter creep to sink their fangs-- atop warm, leafless branches do I rest my laurels." He explained, in his rather sing-song whimsical way. He even nodded to himself-- almost as if giving himself credit for such poetic rhetoric.

"Or, more simply-- Hello, Spring! I am Autumn."

visualspice

Her eyes danced in delight in the way he sing-songed his words. Even as he got to the end, she had such a broad smile that- when he officially said his hello and introduction-

She gasped suddenly and jerked back in sheer surprise. A hand cupped over her gaping mouth and pollen molted out from her hair and clothing in little bursts of golden dust.

"No.. no, you can't be!" She exclaimed, hands perched on her cheeks as her mind rattled over the very idea.

She looked him over, head to toe, scrutinizing all that he was.

"But I thought.." she was still too stunned to say it.

What had she thought?

"Is that why you smell of old trees? And sunsets?"

Hyacinthus

What an adorable response!

Erste raised his birch branch just a few inches from the ground, giving it a slow, gentle whirl in his hand as the autumn wind at his back once more gently kissed the two of them. The dried leaves and dandelion seeds that had settled at his feet were kicked up in the midst of the wind, briefly and slightly obscuring the fae's body here and there, before at last settling-- and in doing so, revealing his 'true' form, the glamor he held to hide his crown of red and gold and noble, birch antlers resting quite prominently atop his head.

"I like to think so-- I do love the smell of sunsets, after all." He explained, stretching just a little bit-- not too much, mind. He was no athlete, no sprightly lad. The Spring and Summer fae had that covered well enough.

"I don't suppose you meet many fae like me? I don't meet many fae like you either-- so I'm happy to meet you, little green one." He kindly noted, though he was careful and patient enough to allow her to get over the initial... well, shock, of meeting her very shadow, in the flesh.

visualspice

Oh wow. Oh wow.  Oh wow.  Oh wow.

"So many cycles have I lived but never saw the beauty of autumn!" Her eyes were like an explosion of stars, wide like saucers and sparkling like butterfliesof all colors..

her body- which had she not already been at her own peak of restraint- glowed as nearly every ounce of the buds curling around and inside her hair and body exploded into a cacophony of flowers, emitting a pulse of fragrant pollen that began to cling and take seed all it could cling to around her.

Her hands remained to her cheeks but almost all of her body was nearly covered in her wild locks of hair, which grew in volume and length as the locks pooled and bedded many flowers around her feet.

And that crown.. those horns..

She gasped.

"Are you an autumn king?"

Hyacinthus

Erstwhile couldn't have expected the sudden and spontaneous explosion of unbridled energy-- figuratively and literally-- from his new fae friend, doused as he was in her boundless energy-- and pollen-- though he merely chuckled in response to her words of awe, supposing that it really wasn't such a surprising reaction to his announcement.

Spring fae and autumn fae rarely interacted. Unlike the summer and winter fae, who's passions and loves burned brighter and grasped harsher than others, they were both a somewhat capricious yet aloof pair of clans in their own way-- often busy readying the world for the great solstices of Summer and Winter. It was only natural that clans so typically involved with their works didn't often interact.

With a sly wink, and a single finger to his lips, Erste gave the flourishing fairy a knowing look. "Did my crown give me away, per chance?" He asked, before raising his birch staff a slight bit and giving a proper bow, displaying his antlers quite proudly. "Erstwhile of Autumn, the Fairy of Sorrows, and king of the Autumn clan... Though, let's keep that a secret between you and I, okay?"

visualspice

Her thoughts were as colorful as her eyes, and she gaped and gaped at him in awe.

Then he winked and she swooned, heart fluttering with buds of attraction. But even as her mind was going over fun and mischievous things- it all came to a compete halt as she digested his full title. 

And it almost appeared as if she were about to  cry.

"Of.. of.. sorrows?"

Hyacinthus

Erste's smile never faded, in spite of the clear sadness that the adorable sapling displayed on his behalf. Yes, to Spring fae, such a title as the 'fairy of sorrows' was bound to bring about quite the reaction-- after all, it was part and parcel of what made their kin so very different.

There was happiness, joy, and elation in beginnings and meetings; Yet even in nature, partings were often such sweet sorrows.  Beyond his role as the autumn king, his destined fate was tied to such sorrows-- and toward helping the sorrowful reach their peaceful slumber. He nodded as such, affirming the verdant one's query. "Yes, very much so, dearest little green one. Spring and autumn. Joy and sorrow. Dawn embraces, and dusk departs. Both are but seasons of the one true hearth-- love."

Yes, he'd have to write that one down for his next cycle, for certain. "Mortals are such sorrowful creatures; They love, and they hurt, and the love, and they rest. I keep their sorrows... and lay them to rest, so that they can sprout as new loves in the next cycle."

visualspice

His flowery talk did nothing to disctract her, as genuine concern filled her large eyes.

"But.. are you not sad to be the ruler of such sad things?"

Hyacinthus

Erstwhile beamed brightly, though even his brightest smile could never hope to compete with the shining sun that was his new Spring fae friend.

"Quite happy, indeed, dear sapling. I would gladly collect one thousand, thousands sorrows, to rest o'er winter's night, and sprout anew as beautiful smiles, like your own." He left out the detail about how, exactly, that process worked— no need to harm her adorably-innocent mind with such thoughts.

visualspice

She stared at him, eyes still wide before she nodded.

"The cycle of the seasons..." curiosity getting the best of her, as it always did,  she couldn't help but ask, "In the seasons.. what are your tasks?" Her tone like that of a commanding child anxious to learn.

"Regrowth and life are my domain, summer is maturity and longevity.. winter is cold," She wrinkled her nose.  "They handle the death and hibernation cycles  " She cocked her head as she observed him. "But what of you? What does autumn do?"

She had to know and anxiously leaned in closer.

Hyacinthus

Erstwhile closed his eyes and mused on the curiosity of his sapling friend for a time, taking in the wondrous sounds of the land around them. The whistling wind through unkempt grass, the gentle hum of insects seeking succor from fallen fruits. "As the sun does rise and fall anew day after day, so too does the land come to rise and rest-- the song of our cycle never ending. Through spring she rises into summer's glory, to descend gracefully through autumn into winter's embrace."

Hey, that one wasn't bad! He'd have to remember to write that one down. Mortals love that sort of thing-- recording one's words and deeds.

"We ready the land for the highest of highs and the lowest of lows in the cycle, you and I-- Where spring brings life anew from the long rest of winter, autumn brings calmness-- gentle stillness that cools the summer's blazing passion, and prepares the land for the rest it needs... to breathe life anew in the next cycle."

In a sense, that made them partners, he figured. Well-- partners, if he actually did his job. Then again, if he took his crown as seriously as he was often made out to, he wouldn't be here, chatting with her.

visualspice

He sure said a lot of words. She decided they sounded nice, like the array of colors ar sunset. 

"Calmness?" Veride made a face. "Sounds boring if you ask me. Don't get me wrong, being calm is umm..nice.. but...I'd much rather dance in a thunderstorm. Although summer takes most of that. We spring fae are stuck with regular, old and boring rain."

She cocked her head as she realized something. 

"Oh! Maybe that's our calmness in Spring!"
She seemed so fascinated by this idea as she glanced up towards the sky.

"Do you like rain? I really like it myself. It's nice to dance in!" She did a twirl and looked over at him. Oh.. but wouldn't it be sad if Autumn got no rain?