Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Thanks for the crown. Enjoy your Pig.

Started by visualspice, November 29, 2012, 04:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

It had been sometime since he'd been to the Capital, but as always, Reajh was a beautiful sight, it's tall architecture surpassing most of what he knew from outside Connlaoth, and in fact, reminded him of the architecture from his home.  However, he was not there to sight see, and kept himself well hidden in the crowd. Gherrick was no fool. He knew he was being hunted, even to a place as well guarded as Reajh.

But that's just what he expected as he hunted down his own prize, and when the carriage came in sight, he hung back and inspected the line of guards flanking it.  The banners from the Allarrian duchy waved proudly as they passed, and Gherrick did most of what he could not to sneer.

In the center of the carriage sat the guilty and the story behind him was rather rancid.  Change was in the air for the duchy of Allar, and this branch was no exception as he proclaimed himself ruler of his own section of Allar, that had been passed down with blessings directly from the Allarrick noble family.  No one seemed to notice or question the change, except the people, the commoners, who were suffering beneath the sudden exponential rise in tax.  Since the noble had sealed his brothers 'crown' for himself (a silly artifact that meant the world to this blood line, a blood line of truly vile nobility), the common lands fell into hopeless poverty. The last ruler, Gherrick knew, had been a wretched one, but at least the last brother was smart enough to not bleed his people of all their money, (though he had bled them enough).  His current successor, however, was not so.

The name of this noble was far too tongue twisting and irritable, so this information escaped Gherrick as he fastened his eyes upon his prey and watched the horses and men bob along. Lord
`whoever' he was, was about to have a big surprise and it would happen in the most embarrassing of places- right in front of the castle!

Biding his time, Gherrick waited for just the right moment and tipped his bo staff against a crate containing some rounded fruits, and as he walked away, they spilled across the cobblestone just as the men on horses came to pass.

"Halt the horses!" their commander said, and the caravan was held up as the alley ways nearby were inspected.  It only took a few quick moments, and a lot of nonchalant walking, for Gherrick to carry out his plans (though he was a bit surprised how easy it was when he opened up the carriage door and stepped right inside).  The guilty, who was a squat, round, piggish man, red and beading with sweat, was poised over his velvet cushion, his nose pushing out the window as he yelled commands to his men.

"Do hurry up! I can't be late! The Grand Duke will be most upset with me and it will be your heads who I'd blame! Now hurry up and clean up the mess!" the angry noble bellowed, and with a sigh, he sat back into his chair, just in time to do a double take at the man sitting right across from him with red hair, and blue, elegant silken clothes.  But most shocking of all was that he was wearing his crown! 

Gherrick simply wriggled is fingers in a silent hello.

"You!" the nobleman stammered, then his eyes shot angrily towards the crown. "My crown!"

"Your crown?" Gherrick repeated, tilting his head as a wore a knowing smirk.

And as events came to pass, the nobleman was bound like a pig inside his own carriage while Gherrick secured himself the crown. It would fetch a pretty price, hopefully enough to give back to the villagers who were suffering.

He was already disappearing into the crowd when somebody noticed what had occurred.

"My Lord?" The guard was taken back when he opened the door to the carriage, for inside sat his lordship, bound like an animal ready to roast on the spit, and just as furious. Though his mouth was gagged by one of the fruits Gherrick had used in his distraction, and a piece of paper was glued to his face (stuck to it by the exuberant amounts of sweat from the nobleman)  and had a quick sketch of the infamous "bandit": Gherrick.
He even signed it as such:
Thanks for the crown.  Enjoy your Pig.
Yours Truly,
-The Mage Bandit of Allar

Chaos broke out as the leader of the Guards drew his sword.
"Search for the criminal! The bandit of Allar has pursued us to the capital!" And soon swords were drawn as they fiercely searched the crowds.

Gherrick didn't pay much attention, but was enjoying munching on his apple and wearing the silly, gold crown upon his head.  He was pretty deep into one of the allyways and paused at a rusty old mirror to admire himself.

"It could be a good look for you," he told himself, then looked down at the poor, toothless woman at the shop.
"Can I help you, sweetie?" she asked, revealing, in fact, she did have a few teeth left, though they were black and rotting.  Blinking, Gherrick smiled and offered her a fruit.

"I was just admiring the view," he said, taking another bite into his apple as he stared over his shoulder, and nearly choked on it when one of the guards was charging towards him on horse back as he recognized the infamous thief.

"There he is!" the man shouted, pointing his sword. "After him!"

The remaining apples he had tucked into his shirt came tumbling out as the bandit bowed politely to the woman, "It was nice to meet you!" before he turned tail and dashed deeper into the crowded, maze like alleys of the city.

OOC: I wrote this a few times but lost one version- so hopefully this one makes sense~ I wanted to have a rather fun introduction post for Gherrick, so there you have it :)
Tags to Rhiannon with Beatrid~
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

A Mordecai never had time off, not really. Even when they were on leave, the job never ended.

At this point, after over ten years of service, Beatrid didn't know how to turn off her sense of duty even when she tried, and so it came that she had been minding her business, purchasing new bolts for her crossbow, when a cry rang out. It grabbed her attention and she perked up, body tense. The shopkeeper helping her froze and shifted uneasily. Right. Not her business at the moment. She wasn't supposed to be working.

You're on leave, Beatrid, she told herself as she tried and failed to shut out the commotion, thrumming with curiosity. She pulled some coins from her coin purse and smiled at the shopkeeper as though to say everything was fine, but the expression was strained. Leeeave. Which means, leave it to the soldiers!

But you're a soldier, she answered herself, and that smile turned into a grimace.

It was one of her many bad habits: believing that no one else was competent and that she needed to take matters into her own hands to ensure it got done right. She knew it was wrong, but knowing didn't make it go away. Besides, it had only been a week and already she was going out of her mind with boredom, praying everyday that her stupid scratch would heal so she could get back to work!

Alright, so it was more than just a scratch. It was, or had been, a deep gash earned on a recent hunt. It was healing cleanly and was no longer an open wound but rather a lot of tender new skin, but same difference; a good blow would reopen it.

More shouts sounded, closer by then, and Beatrid let out a huff. Oh, fuck it. A little romp couldn't hurt!

She pushed the bolts back into the woman's hands. "I'll be back for these," she said, and headed off down the street and into an alley, following the sounds, ignoring the small twinge in her side, and loosening her sword in its sheath.

She ran into a pack of flustered guards, some of whom she recognized from her time working the city. They stood at attention as she approached.

"What's going on?"

"Sir! The damned Mage Bandit's at it again! Stole the lord's crown, he did!" one guard spat, and Beatrid thought for a second before a face formed in her mind's eye. There had been a couple sketches done of the man, going off the victims' memories, though the renditions were different depending on the artist. Nevertheless, she had an idea of what she was looking for; the man was notorious. Tall, red-haired, rather wild-looking with beads in his hair and strange clothing. Some people had noticed a dragon theme. Beatrid's first thought was, "Adelan". Adelans loved their damned dragons.

"Where'd he go?"

With some vague direction being her only lead, Beatrid dove into the maze of alleyways while the others split up to conduct their own search. She'd spent a lot of time in Reajh, practically grew up there, so she knew the place like the back of her hand. A few poor peasants sleeping in the alleys were able to give her more conclusive leads and, encouraged, she picked up her pace.

She rounded a corner and came face to face with a tall red-head.

Wearing a crown.

Not hesitating, she drew her sword with a metallic hiss. "Nice crown you got there," she said. "Where'd you get it, eh?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

Gherrick halted in his tracks the moment a strong woman approached, pointing a sword right at him.  Ah, a sword at an un-armed man (though currently his only weapon in tow was his bostaff that was strapped across his back)

He raised his brows at her question and gave a shrug.
"I stole it from the man back there in the carriage," he replied, honestly as he jerked a thumb to point in their opposing direction.  "You can even ask him. I left him there in the carriage. Tied up like a pig. Though, you might want to take the apple out of his mouth before you question him," Gherrick suggested. "I mean, it is rather rude to talk with food in your mouth, but I don't recall seeing that man ever use manners."  He gave a quirky grin and bowed before her, adjusting his crown when it almost fell off his head in the process.

"But I don't believe we've been properly introduced," he stared at her sword, then up at her. "It comes off as bad manners that I met your sword first, rather than your name.  But you can call me Gherrick if you liked. And," he added, showing his hands that were currently empty. "I'm unarmed, so it looks like you got me."  Though his smile never left his face, or eyes as he looked at her, hardly looking like a condemned man or a mouse caught inside a trap. Infact, he looked rather pleased with himself.
"Oh, and by the way, I have to ask your opinion," he started, then gave a point to the crown. "Does this crown make me look fat? I mean, gold kind of matches the embroidery, don't you think? So at least I know I've got the same color scheme."

His long-winded, 'small-talk' afforded him to conduct a few manuevers of slight of hand, and before she would know it, an apple was tossed into the air, spinning between them for a brief moment as Gherrick exclaimed, "Oh my god, LOOK, it's an apple!"
Before tipping his crown towards her and bowing away, using the approach of a nearby group of children who came runnign downt he street to play (despite the warning pleas of the lady who was apparently their care taker (and not doing too good a job of it)).

Gherrick laughed as he wove his way through the children, pausing when he nearly tripped over one as he slowed and held onto the boy so he wouldn't fall.

"Sorry about that!" he said, and noticed the boy was about to cry as a pout trembled across his lips. "Hey, cheer up.  The other kids haven't gotten too far." and with another quick motion, he produced another apple and handed it to him. "Here you go," he polished it on the blue silk of his sleeve. "Nice and shiny. ready to eat!" the child was elated as he beamed at the man, but just as quickly, Gherrick waved him off and went to run, the man only found himself plowing right into the fate lady who was caretaking the kids.

"I say!" the woman shouted, as she nearly fell over from the collision. That's when the woman spotted Beatrid and waved her over. "He's over here! He's over here!" Cringing, Gherrick tried to slip away, but the fat woman kept blocking his path.

"Look, if you'll just let me through..." Gherrick began, bouncing back and forth, but the fat woman was quite agile, and kept cutting him off every time he moved.

"OVer here! Over here!" the woman shouted again, while Gherrick turned to glance over his shoulder, knowing his pursuer couldn't be far off.

"You'll not be going anywhere! IT's the jail house for you, criminal!" the fat mistress stated proudly.  "We've got you surrounded."

Gherrick couldn't help but smile but realize, he was, infact surrounded, and slipped his bostaff off his back.
"Yeah, I guess there's no way to go but up," he admitted, sheepishly scratching the tip of his nose.

"Up?" the woman questioned the preposterous idea, and found herself gaping in wide mouthed aw as Gherrick charged right towards Beatrid, still wearing a playful smile and the crown as he neared her, but a moment later, thrust his staff into the ground and catapulted himself into the air, where he sailed way over Beatrid's head and landed with a noise upon a nearby roof top.

Landing with a crouch, Gherrick adjusted the crown and gave a smirk as he still wore it. It was a silly thing to run with the crown, especially since it was too big for his head, but he figured it would make for an interesting story.
Turning around, he grinned down at the street to where he left Beatrid, the old, fat lady and the kids, who were all shouting excitedly as they pointed up to where Gherrick stood upon the roof top.

"Looky! Up there!"

"A man up on the roof!"

Gherrick grinned at Beatrid, even waved at her, but the commotion he caused (not to mention the length of time he wasted producing such a lavish scene) had already caught the attention of some nearby guards who also pointed up at him.

"There he is!" one shouted angrily. "Ready your arrows men and take aim!"

It was only then Gherrick's face fell at the realization they were going to use arrows.

"Ok, now I'm in trouble," Gherrick said as he held fast onto the crown and his bow staff and dashed across the roof top, arrows sailing through the air and tinkering behind him as they hit off the shingles.  "Good Gods, I need to run faster," he said, panting and nearly tripping over a loose shingle as he dashed to the end of the roof top and jumped, arms flailing as he landed heavily onto a more angular rooftop nearby. He nearly slipped and lost his footing, but quickly regained his balance as he ran across the shingles, his boots making them clatter as he ran.

"Don't let him get away!" the men hollered, and were quick to pursue.

"No, I think you should let him get away," Gherrick commented to himself, before leaping to another roof top, then another, before pausing as he caught his breath and wiped his sweaty, mop-like hair out of his face as he peered over his shoulder, listening to the sounds of the men who were now two streets over.
Grinning, he continued to roof jump until he landed upon a thatch roof, which thankfully made no noise as he stealthy moved across it, only to swiftly find himself becoming swallowed within it as he fell through a lose hole that had been forming in the middle since the winter- and came crashing into the stable below.

Gherrick lay upon his back, winded, as he stared up at the hole he had made as straw rained down upon him.  Thankfully he had landed upon a pile of hay inside the stable as he looked over towards a nearby horse who grew restless and began making a commotion when Gherrick had made his theatrical entrance through the ceiling.

"Hey, hey, calm down girl," Gherrick said, trying to calm the horse down in hopes to keep the pursuers off his trail. Hopefully, no body saw him fall, but when he heard commotion out of the street, he muttered something under his breath and dove into the  hay stack.  At least the horse was calmer.

Getting himself situated, he peeked outside, then noticed the crown.  Reaching a hand out, he snatched it and returned to nestling himself, deeper and deeper inside the tall stack of hay and bided his time, holding his breath-

and just waited.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

At first, it was nothing personal. Just her job. Just catching a criminal. Nothing special, nothing fancy.

Now, as she pursued the man from the street, Beatrid decided that she hated him, for he embodied every annoying trait from every annoying man and woman she had ever known, and she decided in that moment that when she caught him, she was going to break his nose. Then she would arrest him.

Fortunately, he was easy enough to pursue. For one, he was making enough clatter, sending tiles crashing to the street below, and the other soldiers pursuing him were making noise of their own. For two, it was difficult to race across the rooftops without drawing other types of attention, for that was simply not something that happened everyday. Peasants pointed and stared at the crazy man running amok with a crown on his head and his wild clothes, and people who were indoors when something went galloping across their roof rushed outdoors to see what all the ruckus was about. Some yelled at him to get down before he broke his neck--or someone's roof!

The man left an easy enough trail to follow and she didn't even have to see him to know where he was; she just had to follow the sounds of soldiers and gasping townsfolk, who pointed the direction he'd gone whenever she passed.

That man was not earning himself many fans.

Eventually, the trail went cold. But a young boy told her he had last seen him near a stables--well, on top of one. And then he had just sort of vanished.

Beatrid snorted. No one simply vanished. Thanking the boy for his help, she stalked off toward the stables, panting but having no time to stop and catch her breath. Chances were, he had moved on already and taken his chase to the streets, or was laying low. But it was as good a starting point as any.

That was when she heard a horse's frantic neighing.

Dammit! If he was stealing a horse on top of everything, he was well on his way to swinging.

Picking up her pace, she slipped into the stable, and her eyes fell on the one lone horse in the place. It was calmer, though its eyes were large and it was pawing the ground, agitated. Light was streaming down into the building, casting a spotlight onto a mess of debris and thatch, and Beatrid raised her eyes to the hole in the roof, and smirked. Well. She doubted that was supposed to be there.

Once again, she drew her sword and checked that the door was locked before proceeding.

"You're not a very smart bastard, are ya?" she said as she paced around the stable, nudging the empty stall doors open with her sword and peeking inside to make sure he wasn't hiding in one. "Stealing from a lord, evading arrest, insulting me..."

She started for the haystack. "If you're in there, I suggest comin' out before I start poking around just to be sure."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

"You might want to do that. This hay stack is allergic to swords," the haystack replied.  Gherrick knew he was caught, but decided to bide his time as he thought of a plan, which came to him quickly when he remembered the horse.

All he needed was a distraction!
That's when he recalled he still had an apple or two left up his sleeve and let one drop into his hand.  He'd have to take quick aim, because Beatrid's sword was sharp and he doubted she'd relinquish it (unless he actually believed his joke, which he doubted, she seemed rather quick and diligent. )

It was then Gherrick gave a whistle, the horse turned around, then Gherrick's arm shot out of the bed of hay and tossed an apple in the horses direction, however, he miscalculated and the apple hit against the horses butt.

"Uh, oh,"said the hay stack, the arm disappearing back within. It was clearly a miss, and before Gherrick knew it- the horse let out a whinny, bucking up and kicking back it's legs, breaking the stall right open and nailing Beatrid with it's hooves.

Gherrick only watched in horror as the woman was rag-dolled to the floor.  Leaping out of the hay, he immediately moved to her side, dropping to his knee.
"Hey, lady knight, are you alright?" he asked, not fearing her too much since her sword had been kicked out of her hand, laying in the corner. He gritted his teeth,t hat had to hurt.  Being kicked by a horse was never fun! His blue eyes roamed over her, red hair hanging over his eyes just as the cursed apple rolled to a settle beside her head. "Miss?" He held his breath, blinking as he looked down at her face.

Rhindeer

Beatrid's eyes rolled skyward. This was just too predictable. They always went for the haystack. "Uh huh. Right."

She started for him, and that was when he threw the apple. At first, she thought it was meant for her, snorted when it missed (really?), and gave him--or the haystack, rather--a wry smile. This was just pathetic. "Really? Ya really think that's gonna--"

THWACK.

Beatrid went down like a sack of bricks, the wind knocked out of her and every obscenity she knew (and even some new ones she made up right then) screaming through her head. She curled in on herself, clutching at her side, and when she could breathe again her breath came out hard and ragged. "Fuuuuck!"

The pain was unbelievable, but familiar, for it wouldn't be the first time she had sustained an injury to the ribs. However, though she'd been wounded by a lot of different things in a lot of creative ways, she had to give the guy credit--getting kicked by a horse was new. Sharp pain radiated out from her side whenever she drew air and she knew then that at least one rib was broken, maybe more. Probably more. Gritting her teeth and slowing her breathing, she focused on pulling herself together when he came over to her.

And then he knelt beside her. Leaned over her.

She turned her head, looked him in the eye, and for a moment just stared at him. Stared because that was such a stupid question, and he was making a seriously stupid move. Eyes narrowed, she growled through clenched teeth, "What the fuck do ya think?"

Before he could answer, she grabbed him by the front of the shirt with one hand and punched him in the nose with the other, and the pain that shot through her when she twisted her body to do it was so worth it. It wasn't as hard of a punch as she would have liked to deliver; the agony stole her strength and the angle was awkward. But it was satisfying nonetheless.

"You deserved that."

visualspice

For a moment, Gherrick was seeing stars, then he heard her clever words as he blinked his eyes blue eyes back into reality as blood dribbled from his nose.

"Ouch," he wriggled it and cupped a hand over it, then touched it very delicately with a wince before turning to her.

"I suppose you'd think that I was clever enough to use the horse, and I was planning on using him as a diversion.... though apparently I have terribly aim with apples so..." Gherrick shook his head at his ramblings. "I'm sorry I made the horse hit you." he told her simply, his blue eyes wide, almost with a child like innocence to them before he moved a hand forward. "Here- let me try to help you. That kick looked awfully painful."

And before he said anything else, he pressed a hand against her side, his hand emanating a golden glow of warm light that hummed over her skin, aiming to heal all that was broken within.

He didn't know she was mordecai, nor did he care, as he whispered a prayer to his ancestral Gods and summoned a spell of healing as symbols began to glow across his body, starting from the small, almost invisible pearl like jewel beneath his flesh.  All she would be able to see was the glowing, perhaps the shapes bleeding out in beautiful and intricate lighted glyphs across his arms, even a few of these shapes moved across his face as the swollen-ness of his once punched nose seemed to vanish, though the trickle of blood remained.

He truly hadn't meant to hurt her.  Although for Gherrick, it was all fun and games until someone accidently got hurt..
and  it was only gentlemanly of him to heal her of the wounds he had inflicted...

Rhindeer

Beatrid was only half-listening to his rambling apologies. She didn't give a shit about that. What she did give a shit about was that she was wounded (though thankfully it didn't feel like anything had been punctured) and that, to add insult to injury, she hadn't even been wounded doing anything impressive. A fucking horse? Not even a very powerful, beautiful one, but some nag that was probably used to pull a plow. Who got downed by a fucking horse they weren't even riding while pursuing some simple, cowardly bandit? Ansgar's tits, she would not be able to show her face around the men for some time...

Hissing through clenched teeth, Beatrid began to pull herself upright, face pale as she pushed through the knives stabbing her in the side, and that was when the mage came over to her and laid a hand on her side. She jolted, raised her hand, and was about to belt him again when she saw that he was glowing.

Magic.

One of the few mages she had encountered that wasn't affected by her ability.

Her heart clenched and her eyes widened, less in fear of him and more in fear of her own ability's ineffectualness, and she reacted out of pure instinct and impulse.

"Get the fuck off!" She swung her fist to knock him away from her and then lunged for her sword, only half-aware that her side no longer ached.

visualspice

Gherrick had seen the fist coming and jerked his face away just in time to miss his nose being plowed into again.  Attempting to catch her fist, he commented, "Easy there!" only to find his hair nearly standing on end as she went to reach for her sword.
"Woah," scrambling to get to his feet, the crown slipped off his head and went rolling to the ground, where it settled in a corner that rested between them.

It was hard to tell what sort of word he breathed through his teeth as he slung off his bo staff and lunged for the crown, hooking it onto the staff and then raising it up into the air as it slid down along it  and fell to where his hand now grasped the staff.

"Look, it's been lovely chatting with you and all, but I've got a crown to deliver," he said, bowing once before racing towards the door, only to find it was locked. 

Rhindeer

Beatrid snagged the sword as the mage bolted, ignoring the crown for the moment. It was important, but it could wait, for far more important was apprehending the criminal attached to it--not only a thief, but a magic-user.

Her track record for capturing mages was a good one, and she wasn't about to let some fool tarnish that. And not only that, but things had become uncomfortably personal after whatever he'd done to her--and she didn't want to think about it. Didn't want to think about being touched by...by...

Her hand closed around the handle and she rolled to her feet and lunged for him as he bolted for the door. He was quick, but the locked door cost him valuable time. Enough time for her to come up behind him and press the sword's tip to the middle of his back, just hard enough to let him know it was there, to feel the sharp tip through his clothes.

"Don't move," she growled, "or I will skewer you."

visualspice

Gherrick stared at the door for a good long time as he contemplated the sword pressed threateningly at his back.  Oh, wasn't this a predicament!  Gherrick made a face and slowly raised his arms, indicating surrender.
"That does sound awfully painful," he replied, in earnest because well... surely it would be painful. His innards hardly belonged at the end of a sword!

Rhindeer

"I assure you, it is," Beatrid cheerfully replied, holding her sword steady. "It's a slow, painful death. Stab wounds take some time to kill, and a thrust to the middle? It could be hours. Days. So you better not even fucking breathe wrong, mage. Now, turn around. Slowly."

She had nothing  with which to bind his his hands, but this was a barn. With horses. Surely there would be rope. She eyed her surroundings out of the corner of one eye and spotted a coil of it beneath a stool just outside the horse's stall.

"I'm gonna have you walk over to that stool. No sudden movements, no funny business. Got it?"

visualspice

"Yes, and just think of how much effort it will take to clean off all of that blood from my clothes if it were to happen," Gherrick said wistfully.  But he wasn't a man to make a lady wait, so slowly, ever s slowly, he turned around, keeping his hands where she could see them and gave her a sort of an anxious smile and shrug.  "See? No funny business. Just a harmless old mage!" Well, he was hardly old- maybe he should have used the word charming instead? Charming he could be!

As her eyes searched around, his blue eyes followed her gaze, then went to hers, his nose wrinkling slightly as he pointed with a single finger, arms still raised. "Are you aiming to tie me up?" he asked, giving a blink, then looked over at the stool and back to her again as he hesitated. "Cause I don't think I'd do very well all tied up. It seems rather uncomfortable."

The horse, who had been watching, gave a snort through it's nose, swishing it's tail anxiously as it watched them, appearing wary of the pair at it's rear. "And I don't think that horse is very happy with me right now." The horse, if it could, seemed to glare.  Maybe the woman would see it and have a heart?

Rhindeer

"A mage is never harmless," Beatrid answered, face impassive and unamused, eyebrows draw together and mouth a firm line. He was not taking this half as seriously as he should be! And she was nearing the end of her threadbare patience. She'd been made a fool of and kicked by a horse one too many times today!

At least he listened well enough to turn around. Grabbing him by the arm, Beatrid tugged him forward and away from the door and placed her hand on his shoulder to guide him, and keep him in arm's reach.

"And yeah, I'm not just aiming to tie you up, buddy. I am going to tie you up. Ya think this is a fuckin' joke or something? You're in deep horse shit, so I'd start worrying more about yourself and less about the damned horse."

She stepped behind him then and gave him another push toward the stool. Her foot hit an apple along the way--probably the one he'd tossed at the horse, she realized bitterly--and she snorted and nudged it out of the way. "I'll give it an apple for its trouble once you're all trussed up. Now, hands behind your back."

visualspice

"You know, horses have feelings, too," Gherrick pointed out, seeming most serious as he wore a bit of a frown and peered over towards the horse, shrugging towards the creature as it gave another swish of it's tail and an anxious step on it's hooves as it shifted it's weight about unsteadily from within it's stall.

For the most part, Gherrick was obliging. She was a lady after all, if even a little rough around the edges, so he wasn't about to treat her with any less authority than a man, or the respect a lady deserved, however, he was still not quite so keen on being tied up. He'd have to think on something-
and not remind her that he was partially immune to mordecaism, so, in a sense, the ropes could simply be burned. But that's only if he needed to.

His real concern was when she'd call for more guards, or.. more importantly, more moredcai.
He never had a good run in with them for long when the illness would settle in, and felt himself sweat a little at the prospect. He didn't want to pass out if he was around one for too long and well... if he passed out, he had a feeling he'd either not wake up, or wake up at the most inopportune time-
In other words, he'd find himself with a noose around his neck, just in time to feel himself being choked of his life-
or you know, the chopping block.
He inwardly winced at that.

So, with some reluctance, but still being as courteous as ever, he obliged the woman, hands now behind his back as he sighed.

--------------------

(Just a heads up, I updated Gherrick's profile~ I wanted to change a few things so he was more similar to how I rped him in my last rp, so some of his powers/weaknesses are more defined and his history and stuff have been updated and it's um, more readable than his old profile was)

Rhindeer

Beatrid rolled her eyes at the horse comment. God above, she was going to be so happy when this idiot was out of her hair, though thankfully he was cooperating now. Actually, she wasn't yet sure if she should be grateful for his cooperation; after all that fuss and bluster, this made her a little suspicious.

And yet, after she reached with her foot and dragged the rope out from under the stool, she managed to get the rope around his hands and tightly tied.

Maybe he really was whipped.

She didn't dare bend down for the apple (she was not about to let her face get anywhere near foot level with this guy), but she did kick it into the horse's stall so it could eat it, as promised. Promise fulfilled, she took Gherrick by the shoulders and bodily turned him back around so he was facing the door.

"Alright. Time to go," she said, then paused. Right. The crown. The thing that hard started this whole mess.

She pushed Gherrick out of the way and reached down to collect the crown, where it was still looped around his discarded bo staff. "I sure hope this was worth it to you."

[No worries! 8D Thanks for letting me know!]

visualspice

Gherrick rose from the chair, then peered over his shoulder at the bow staff, then to the crown, then back to her. He shrugged.
"It certainly seemed a good idea at the time," he admitted. "You should have seen that man's face. He was as mad as a hornet."

Rhindeer

"If you survive this, I'd suggest a different hobby," Beatrid said, cutting a small length of rope so she could tie the crown to her belt. She sheathed her sword. "Now move," she added, shoving him forward.

Once outside, she had to take a moment to look around to get her bearings. This wasn't a part of town she came to often; it wasn't even a very good part of the city. Much to her own chagrin, she realized that, honestly, she hadn't been paying much attention to where she was going so much as to where he was going.

Dammit.

Well, she'd figure it out soon enough. Just pick a direction and get going and hopefully things would start looking more familiar.

She turned them both to the right.

"What possessed you to do such a stupid thing, anyway? You mages, I swear. Ya don't fucking think."

visualspice

As he was prodded forward, Gherrick listened in silence. His hands itched a little at the rope, and was rubbing his skin a bit raw already, but he didn't complain, merely moved forward and shrugged his shoulders at her words.

"Oh, but I did think. The plot was pretty well calculated if I do say so myself. None of my heists are done on a whim. I do careful study. It isn't so easy performing my job, much less the final delivery on my end. And as far as I'm concerned, the man had it coming." Gherrick smiled back at her, then looked forward and continued speaking.

"He had broken many of the laws himself, bending them to suit his fancy. Yes, I've been watching Count Dakum for sometime before attempting to cash in on his fool hearty cash, and the icing on the cake is he wanted a crown. A crown of all things. A count, wishing for a crown in a land that doesn't even have kings." He shook his head, even laughed.

"Though he thought himself a king in his own right. You should see all the illegal activity I see him conducting at the docks! Should I even begin? I've sunk one of his ships that was daring to make off with some of the tax money, thankfully, salvaging most of it that I could return to the people he had initially stolen it from. You see, he proposed taxes that were not enacted, so when they were collected, he did not turn them into the broader government, but lined his own pockets with the gold. A brilliant plan for a man of power. It's very easy to over look the nobles and their transgressions. After all, are they not the ones who make the laws. So I suppose it's no sin they break them, even when they go against their own kind, their own government, their own country."

The sarcasm was there, but his tone never changed, speaking over all of these things matter of factly. He didn't think the woman would care to hear the real truth, but he was never a man to lie. So when she asked, he simply told her. Plus he did like a to brag. His feats, his research, his heists were quite impressive. He was sure she would have heard about them all by now.
He was a pirate, a bandit, a thief, afte rall, and a mage. A mage! How scandalous!
He was, Seven of the Sea! The Mage Bandit of Allar, and many other famous things.

Rhindeer

His words brought Beatrid to a sudden halt, a mixture of shock and anger broiling within her--though it had no real target yet. If he was to be believed, then the very count who this man had attacked was corrupt--and yet, at the same time, two wrongs did not make a right. A man who robbed a thief was still a thief himself, and this man was a mage and a known repeat criminal. Not only that, but he had managed to use his magic on her, something that filled her with dread and grossness, like she had been submerged in taint.

She shuddered at the memory.

"Him being a lawbreaker doesn't make you not a criminal, mage," she said. "If what you say is true, you'll have to tell it at your hearing." And really, it wasn't her place to persecute lords. Her place was here, dealing with mages and other threats to the people. A lord was out of her league; Beatrid wasn't a political mind at all and to be honest, much of that was beyond here. But mages? Petty criminals? Beasts? Those were things she did know how to handle. Those were problems that could be fixed with fists and sword and mordecaism.

She didn't understand politics at all, and had not the patience for it.

Shaking her head, she got them walking again.

"If it's true, you might be granted a little leniency," she added, and then snorted. "But maybe it's not. It's a blood good story, I'll give ya that. Shit, it brought a tear to my eye and everything. I've heard some about ya, though, the trouble you've made. And I hear liars make great storytellers."

She turned a corner and then let out a low curse. No, this was definitely not where they wanted to be; they had officially entered the slums, and straight ahead of them were a group of rough-looking men whose eyes lit up at the sight of a fancy-looking man and a lone soldier with a golden crown on her belt.

Tags: