Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Masks

Started by visualspice, December 22, 2012, 07:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Here, Dekka set his jaw at her last comment and slowly lifted an arm, pulling out the hankerchief from behind the high collar that hid it in his dress.  He held it before her and said nothing, dark eyes keeping as silent as his lips.

But of course, it didn't take long for him to speak.

"I already found it."  Stuffing it back inside his costume, he moved away, but paused before the door.
"You know, this really put a damper on my plans." he said, peering over his shoulder after her.  "After all, it would have been fun to propose to you." he spared her a wink, and moved to open the door to leave.

OOC: Feel free to decide if he leaves or not yet <3  he might hang back for more brief 'chit chat'.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

OOC: Nope, he can slip away now!  I'm good!

That brought a smile back to her face, as radiant as a beam of sunlight.  "You're a scoundrel."  There was nothing but humor in the words...and by a strange touch of sadness that she couldn't identify.  "Just...be careful."

Her maid had returned, she saw, and was hovering in the doorway between her bedroom and the outer suite, looking unsure.  Retreating back to her bed, Kathryn made herself comfortable atop the covers.  "Molly, this is what I want you to say when the guards come in..."

And, dear, sweet Molly, whose loyalty was well-paid for by Lady Kathryn, nodded her head in agreement to the plan.

visualspice

OOC: ok! I'll copy/paste and update form me last post X3

IC:
Dekka slipped away, casual, confident steps carrying him back into the ballroom.

"Why, Duke Calent!" the duke began, friendly as ever when Dekka approached, but the thief raised his hand as the Duke's face paused and his lips fell into silence.

"No, you're mistaking me for someone else, I'm afraid," 'Duke Calent' began, standing before him with blood stains on his face and a scraped mask. I twas only then the Duke of HIghheart realized it.

"Landsakes... what happened to your face?" the duke asked.

Dekka slowly raised a hand up and removed the porcelain mask...

"I just murdered two of your guards and that wretched Lord Phillipe. I stole your wife's ring and various other trinkets and jewels throughout the night. I've flirted with your daughter, even charmed you, And while I was about to propose to your daughter, I decided to reveal my true self." He smiled darkly. "The mask has been cast away."

The duke, who was over whelmed by this sudden claim tried to laugh it off, the entire crowd already falling into a hush.

"Duke Calent, I.. I don't think I understand.."

"When presented with an engagement, the request was true, but the face was not. Nor the title," Dekka said simply. "You probably don't even recognize my face."

The duke onyl stared at him questionably, but as he tried to read his face he felt too ashamed to reply as he asked, "What are you getting at?"

"What I meant to tell you is you've all been duped," Dekka informed.

The duke's eyes widened.

"I am not the Duke of Allar,"Dekka  said, using one hand to unbutton the high collar around his neck, his long signature braid spilling over his shoulder.  The duke was a bit surprised, but still did not see the connection...

And it was only then Dekka held out his ring.

"I go by another, more prestigious title," he informed, his eyes locking upon his.  "I'm the King of thieves. You will find my signature burned onto Lord Phillipe's corpse."

Panic soon ensued, the entire room awakening into alarm. Guards were called and chaos swallowing the masses, but Dekka remained cool, standing before the duke wearing nothing but a cool smile upon his lips.

As the swell of guards were about to reach him- the thief simply raised his hand, a shot exploding from his wrist, ripping apart the fragile fabrics of his sleeves and towards the chandelier his hook shot went, and once it found itself secure, away the king of thieves flew-

leaving a mass of confused guards in his wake as they all craned their necks up towards the ceiling, up at the glittering gold chandelier.

"It has been fun, High Heart," he said, saluting the duke, the crowds, then away he went- disappearing into another story of legends.

"Guards, guards! To my daughters room! See that Kathryn is well!" he clamored, and quickly the guards rushed through, pounding the door open to see that the lady was alright...

OOC: Kathryn might need her sister to comfort her after a night like this! <3
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

The evening had passed quickly after that point.  Kathryn had pointedly refused to speak to anyone but her parents about the matter, to whom she revealed, at least, a bit of the truth.  They alone knew Lord Philippe had attacked her with the most base and disgusting of goals -- and they alone knew that Dekka Blade, the King of Thieves, had rescued her.

She let them believe the thief had done so for his own selfish reasons, but, after three encounters with the man, Kathryn thought he might have a soft spot for young girls -- very noble of him, considering his otherwise alarming lack of moral fiber.  Regardless, such a story could hardly be passed along to the guests, who were already quite upset.  Most left the party knowing only that Lord Philippe and two guards had been attacked and killed; they were free to invent their own stories as to the circumstances.

But it had happened in Lady Kathryn's room.  And the rumors, regardless, flew.

Kathryn's bedroom had been locked until the servants could tend to the bodies and bloodstains properly.  As a proper lady, of course, Kathryn was expected to be mortified -- and she played the part well.  Rather than go into hysterics, she remained quiet and, seemingly, unresponsive to the queries of her parents, the guards, or anyone else...and so, at last, she had been allowed to escape the questions to the privacy of her sister's room.  They would have to share for at least tonight -- the rest of the castle was in turmoil, and her parents wanted their daughters as best protected as possible.

Lady Kathryn sank into the hot bath with a sigh of relief, letting the warm water wash away her anger, her fear, and that strange sense of disappointment that had haunted her all night.  Really, it was silly for her to be so worked up about it; after all, if he had been the real Duke Calent, he wouldn't have been in her room to rescue her, would he?  No, certainly not...

But, for just a moment, it was nice to think that it was possible...for such a man to wish to marry her...

visualspice

Any sense of peace might have been lost as Valia stormed into the bathing chambers.
"Kathryn, really!" her younger sister scolded, hands to her hips as she bent over the bath and scrutinized her. "How long does it take you to bathe?  My maids had drawn the bath hours ago and-" here she paused, noticing the steam as seh wrinkled her nose and gave a narrowing look at her sister. "Did you order more hot water?" Valia asked, offendedly.  Her nose wrinkled even more as she threw her arms up and collapsed into exhaustion in a pillow of her skirted pants (though, truth be told, she hated pants and tended to wear dresses, despite the trend as she loved the graceful, fluttering feel it gave her- and loved the scandelous idea of how it exposed her legs,) but there were few times, this being one, where she did dawn a pair of baggy stockings beneath.

"Honestly, Kathryn, where are your manners, you are staying in my room." she said with a huff.

Ivory

Kathryn smiled in spite of herself, swirling the copious bubbles about her person with an idle arm.  "I haven't even been in here that long," she told her younger sister, lifting up bubbles in her palm to blow them at the other girl.  They wobbled in the air before dropping down on Valia's head, making Kathryn laugh lightly.

"I didn't realize you wanted to bathe, Valia.  I thought you might just go right to sleep, actually..."  She sort of hoped Valia might; the girl was bound to have some headstrong opinions on what happened, and Kathryn would have to take the time to set her straight...

And then her headstrong opinions would be even worse to deal with!

Kathryn sank lower in the bathwater with a soft sigh.  Well, if there was one person she could tell anything -- almost -- it was Valia...

visualspice

Valia waved the bubbles away.
"Kathryn! My hair!" She gave a hmph, then at the other statement and kept her pointy nose towards the sky.
"Well, if you insist, we could share a bath," and she snapped her fingers to her maids. "Help me undress!" Smiling wickedly at her sister, she knew she couldn't escape her if both the girls were bathing.

"Now, you know how I feel about sharing my things, so you have to realize the sacrifces I make here, dear sister," she said, only half jokign as her clothing was unbound and carried off and away. Brushign her long hair aside, she put a toe into the bath and gave a delighted sight at the temperature before slipping inside and snuggling across from her sister.

She then gestured to her maids. "The other side of the screen please,"s he told them and they mechanically obeyed.  Valia continued to make herself comfortable as she eyed her sister.
"So, you have to give me all of the juicy details about today. I hate to hear gossip last, and it's fluttering around here like a million moths. Ugh!" She splashed irritably into the water. "What happened between you and Calent? And with Phillipe and well.. oh, I suppose I should re-ask the question, considering he wasn't even the Duke of Allar, but a fake!"

Ivory

Kathryn didn't mind sharing; the bathtub was large enough to fit four comfortably.  She waited until her sister was quite settled before replying, carefully, to her questions.

"I'm not sure I'm comfortable discussing it...  Mother and Father asked me to be discreet."  It wasn't exactly untrue...  They really had told her not to tell anyone what had really happened!

And, of course, there were parts her parents didn't know about and never would!

"Perhaps, if your maids went out and closed the door behind them..."  Kathryn would have simply ordered them herself -- but she and Valia had a sort of standing pact about that sort of thing, and for very good reasons!

visualspice

Valia stared at her sister before sighing and turning her head.
"Servants?" she said, arrogantly as they turned their heads. "My sister and I need privacy. Please leave the room and wait for my further instructions in the hall."
The woman only hesitated briefly before bowing and making their way to the hall.
Once the last woman was out and the door clicked shut from her room across the way, she slowly turned her pink eyes onto her sister, a finger twirling a bubble between them.
"So, you were saying?"

Ivory

"Thank you," she murmured, truly grateful.  Of course, she wouldn't have said any of this if she thought it was going to be overheard in the first place...but Valia could be stubborn!

Closing her eyes again, she leaned her head back against the tub with a soft sigh, as if she didn't intend to answer at all.  The seconds ticked by slowly, and, still, Kathryn uttered not a word.

When she did speak, she spoke with a steady, controlled voice and slow, deliberate rhythm.  It meant that she was choosing her words carefully...and attempting to control her emotions.

"Lord Philippe...tried to rape me."  It felt disgusting just to say that name...and the accompanying deed made her stomach clench all over again!

visualspice

As time ticked away, like the ticking of a clock, it grated quite FURIOUSLY at Valia's nerves. However, she steeled her tongue, held her temper, and just let her eyes bore into Kathryn- hoping the glare would prod her to speak.

Though, when she finally did speak, in her slow and methodical tongue, she felt herself growing all the more irritated, until....

"What?" Valia couldn't believe what she had heard, blanched- appearing to vomit. She turned away, holding a hand over her mouth before turning back to her, a soured expression wrinkling her face.
"What in God's name happened? So Phillipe was there, but then I heard about Calent, or the fake Calent, or whatever he was... did he try something to?" A fire burned int her eyes. Those men were so wretched and awful, and in the same time, she wished she could claw off their faces with her pretty little pink finger nails, but she held back and waited, eagerly for her sister to explain.

"Father would have him in the noose were he not already dead." She shifted uncomfortably, thinking about how awkward it would be between their duhy.. and his.

Ivory

Kathryn nodded slightly, swallowing down the knot of emotions that threatened to escape.  Maybe she really had been in shock when she spoke to her parents -- of course, it didn't help that her mother had started in with the I-Told-You-So lectures and wanting to know what, exactly, Kathryn had done to provoke it...

God, she loathed her Mother!

"I think he knew I wouldn't be able to wed Duke Calent -- or anyone else...after."  She shuddered visibly, as if she could feel him on top of her again...  She flushed furiously.  "It was terrible, Valia.  I couldn't get him off me...and he started ripping off my costume..."

Was that a little hiccup that escaped?

She sniffled loudly, alarmed a bit at the sudden wetness of her eyes and nose.  "...And then Dekka was there.  And he saved me before...you know."

visualspice

Valia felt guilt weigh upon her like lead in the water as she listened to her sister. She knew her sister to be so strong, yet here she was, evidently fighting the sobs inside her. Valia felt numb for it, for it was normally Kathryn who consoled her, over a knight who kissed her terribly, or a prince who gave her the cold shoulder at a ball.  No, no.. nothing in their lives had ever been this serious.

Valia set her jaw, and could only rudely ask, ignoring her own bleary eyes, "Dekka? Who's Dekka? The false duke?"

Ivory

Valia's abrupt question brought Kathryn back to the bath -- for the moment, anyway -- and she laughed quietly.  "Dekka is..."

She used her hands -- wet with soapy water -- to ineffectively wipe away her tears before answering.  It gave her a moment to collect herself, and, when she managed to answer, she did so with a genuine smile.

"Dekka is the King of Thieves.  He was the man impersonating Duke Calent."  And although she was still upset at what had happened -- and at him for doing that to her! -- her smile only widened.  "You can't tell our parents I know him, but...  I've run into him before."

visualspice

Valia's eyes widened, and she was quick to draw in a sharp gasp.
"The king of thieves!?" she exclaimed, breathlessly.  "You can't mean.." but then she went on, and Valie just gaped at her sister in disbelief. A hand went over her lips.

"Wait, what are you telling me!?" she moved forward int he bath, taking her sister's hands into her own, trying to read her eyes. "That you've actually met with that rapscallion before!? ANd if so, has he hurt you or something? ANd why did he come here to make fools of our duchy today!? Did you employ this? He's not your secret lover is he!?"

Valia's imagination ran wild.

Ivory

"Valia!"  Kathryn exclaimed, shocked by her sister's final assumption.  "Really!"  Who did she think she was, anyway?

"It isn't anything like that.  I met him -- twice -- while I was...out."  Valia -- and Valia alone -- knew Kathryn's attendance at Mass was rather short of spectacular...  And the way she said the word left little doubt as to what she meant by it...

"He thought I was a servant the Chandos Family had let go...named Amy."  Too easy, really!  "Him being here tonight was purely a coincidence!  I think he just likes stealing things!"

...Like young girls' hearts...

visualspice

Valia's face kept twisting over her sister's story, but finally she spoke.
"So you actually met the King of thieves?" she blinked, thinking it over, once again as her pink eyes went dizzy. "And are you claiming he was the man that saved you from Phillipe?" her voice went lower, almost as if speaking such a thing were scandalous.

"Kathryn... how exactly did you just... meet a man like that?"  Her sister was curious and couldn't help but continue to gape.

Ivory

Well, it was rather scandalous...but as long as no one knew about it, it couldn't be turned into a scandal, right?

Kathryn pinkened prettily and turned her attention to the tiny bubble sculpture she was building in the bathwater.  "It was out in the woods," she began.  "I think I must have accidentally stumbled on his secret hiding place..."

She laughed a little at that.  He certainly hadn't been happy to see her!

"Father's guards turned up all of a sudden.  I don't know how they knew I was there -- and no one has said anything to me since, so I kind of wonder if they just happened to see me leaving town and decided to follow...  Anyway, he..."  Why was she all of a sudden picturing that cozy ride up to his look-out in the trees?  "...Helped me escape.  And that was the first time."

visualspice

Valia held her breath as she listened to her sister, but couldn't help it that the moment it was given, she burst out into a rude laugh. And then she couldn't stop laughing until her face was pink. Leaning forward, she inadvertently ruined her sister's bubble sculpture.

"You must be joking! You? You found the secret hide out of the King of thieves?" Valia was laughing again, and she couldn't help it, it was too much! She covered her mouth and shook her head. "My, how I almost envy you. But not quite." she wrinkled her nose and relaxed more in the bath, her long, blonde hair nearly pillowign and consuming the remaining bits of bathwater as they splayed across the surface of the water.

"So... " she wrinkled her nose excitedly, pink eyes sparkling. "Is he more handsome behind that mask?" She leered her sister. "Clearly he has to have some charm to have the entire place enchanted with his wit. To think how much we were fools!" Valia couldn't help but beam over it, even though a moment ago sh ewas chastising the whole scenario.  But now, well, now her mind was more focused on the handsome man behind the mask, rather than what the masked man had did.

Ivory

"Well," Kathryn said, her blush only deepening.  "He did used to have a beard."  Which she had rather preferred to the clean-shaven face he wore now.  "And he's very..."  She stared at her sister helplessly, then said, testingly, "...Fit, I guess?"

Her attention once again went to the bubbles!

"The second time I saw him, he took off all of his clothes -- except his undergarments."  She glanced up sharply.  "I was a proper lady!" she added hastily, attempting to head off Valia's boy-crazy personality.  "But...well, there were things I noticed."  Because the man had undressed in front of her!

"I do think the real Duke Calent would be hard-pressed to compete with him."