Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Hanging from an Ice-Cold Chandelier

Started by visualspice, June 03, 2013, 09:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Kathania remained silent at his side, and after a time, she pulled him in close to embrace him.
"Conall.." she spoke, the winds howling around them in the broken, lonely cell. "You're not alone anymore. Let me help you.." she said, lifting her gaze as her eyes were filled with hot tears. "I am aware my cousin is unstable... and that something horrible had happened here... but we have to keep moving on, we have to keep pressing through...." And she moved a hand to push his hair from his face before holding him gently. "Gods.. I wish I could help you.." and then as she wiped her tears away off ont he backs of her hands, she inquired, hoarsely, "Are you ok?"
And as she studied him, her lips trembled from fear and the cold.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

Conall let the sword fall from his grasp and leaned against her for support. He embraced her , but there was little strength in his arms. When she asked him if he was okay, he shook his head. No. In so many ways no. He wasn't. Thinking that only made him hug her a little more tightly. "I was powerless to do anything for them and for you. If only..."He sagged a little in her arms, feeling his body grow heavier, " If only I wasn't so...tired. I could fight harder I...." He shook his head," Wishful thinking. I'm only one person. The results would have been dire either way . Forgive me. I'm just ...you're right, you're right. Move forward. That's all we can do. "

He simply wished that he could have done more than that.

He pulled back to regard her now, "What about you? " He was afraid to touch her the places where she'd been burned. "There must be medical supplies around here somewhere."

visualspice

Kathania lifted her head, tears still forming in her eyes, and some, carried away by the wind. She shook her head.
"I want to be rid of this place.." And down to her wounds,s he frowned, smoothing a hand gently over the raw skin. "I'll be fine." And then lower still, she added, "I'll live. Let's just leave.." and she held him again, " Please.."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

Conall leaned his forehead against hers and closed his eyes. He was exhausted, but he agreed. The sooner they were gone from this place, the better. "Agreed." Though the question lingered in the back of his mind whether or not Blaith was going to just let them go like that. It all seemed a little too easy for his tastes, but they couldn't lose much from trying to run. "As soon as Lana comes back, we'll go."

Lana returned little over ten minutes later with five other people . Three young men , an elder woman and a child. "These are...the only people I could find. " The woman reported quietly. Before either of them could ask , she answered, "Drake is dead. They killed him. The ones who attacked,  " Her voice quaked with profound sorrow.

"Lana..."

Lana shook her head, "Don't be sorry. I don't blame you for this and you shouldn't blame yourself. Those bastards murdered him. Just promise me you'll make them pay one day."

Conall held his tongue for a moment. He couldn't make a promise like that. It wasn't THAT simple, but he simply nodded to please her. Telling her no when she was this emotional would only make things worse.

"Where will we go?" One of the men asked.

"We should grab some supplies." Another man suggested.

"Good idea, "Conall replied tiredly ,"I'll..." he tried to move away from Katahnia , but in doing so he lost his balance and hit the ground, landing hard on his knees. He made a quiet but agonoized gasping sound and gnashed his teeth together.

Look who is being the stubborn fool now. He mentally chastised himself.

"Conall, listen to Katahnia and stay put. " Lana told him with a frown, "Let us handle this. You've done enough for now." She turned to the three young men, "You three come with me. The rest of you wait here with Conall and Katahnia."

"Nana, where's mama?" The child, a girl of no older than perhaps seven or eight asked the elder woman.

The old woman put a comforting hand on the girl's shoulder, "She's with Ansgar, now, my child."

"Does that mean ...I don't get to see her ever ?"

"No, dear. It just means it'll be a while, but don't worry. You will see her again when Ansgar comes for you."

"Why can't he come now?"

"It's just not your time, dear. Hush now. Don't worry about it. Nana is here to look after you." She hugged the girl to her tightly.

visualspice

It was just too much to take in..
Drake,a nd now this..
and her and Conall could have been added to the list, or worse...
She recalled the look her cousin had given her.. and had seen it only once before...
She grit her teeth and held onto Conall, remaining steadfast and at his side as she sat on her knees beside him.

"Just rest... reserve your strength," she told him softly, a hand smoothing against his back. "We're going to need it for the journey ahead."
Or, for what plan awaited them when Blaith might return...
She didn't think he'd let her go so easily.. not after what he had said to her...

About marriage, and then the kiss...
Blinking back a few tears, her mind went to Kella...
If Blaith hadn't killed her...
that meant she might still be alive. But did he honestly believe she might end up here?

Glancing around, Katahnia said a silent prayer, wishing for her cousin's safety.. and for Blaith to come to his senses. It wasn't completely uncommon for those who had loved ones pass to lose their mental stability... but this?
It made a cold feeling inside her belly, and she shivered as she leaned in closely to Conall.

"I'm so glad you're here..."
She knew it might not sound like something he'd want ot hear, but Conall's presence gave her strength whent he world was other wise going crazy around her, but no sooner had the words been uttered did she hear the young child gasp as she lifted her head and saw Blaith and his men looking down at them.

Paradox

It did seem somewhat of a terrible thing to say, but Conall understood what she meant by that. He simply moved his scarred hand, the one he'd burnt grabbing Blaith with and rested it over hers. "Katahnia ...I..." He wanted to say more than what came out, "I feel the same way." There. That wasn't too bold, right?  He squeezed her hand lightly and the action wasn't without some pain.
Hearing the child gasp, he looked up but knew it was bad news before his green eyes settled on Blaith.

Damn it! He should have just spit it out . He imagined he was going to be dead in a moment.

"Well, " Conall glared up defiantly at the man, "you didn't find Kella, did you? Killing those women and children didn't help your search?" He spat.
"Insolent fool!" One of the mages made a gesture with his hands but then looked suddenly confused , "What the hell!? I thought we thought we killed them all!"

"Weird. Some more must be on the way cause my magic was working earlier. "Another mage replied.

"So , what are you going to do with us?" Conall spoke directly to Blaith. Looking the mad man in the eyes directly unnerved him. Only one other person had THAT sort of effect on him.

visualspice

Blaith shuffled uneasily as he looked around at the remaining prisoners. Then, his lips twitched, half growing into a sneer,t hen raising into a smile.

"Get yourselves some horses. We're going back to the heart of Connlaoth."
And Katahnia's eyes went wide as she peered over at Conall with uncertainty, all the while Blaith laughed and looked towards his men.

"We'll need to resupply and replan.." then he looked over at the pair of them again, his eyes falling hungrily upon his cousin. "If more mordecai are coming... we need to prepare."
And without so much as another word, Blaith walked away.

He was no fool, this was the artic...
They would be lucky if they'd survive the journey back...
and as Katahnia peered at the skies, she noted dark storm clouds rolling in as she crept closer to Conall's side, tears frozen at the corners of her eyes.

Paradox

Conall wasn't as concerned for himself as he was for Katahnia. He did not miss the lewd manner that Blaith's eyes practically undressed the woman or the fearful and uncomfortable reaction from Katahnia. In spite of his unease, he forced himself to retain a calm, somewhat icy facade that many nobles wore. Conall liked to call it "the Calent face" . He said nothing while Blaith babbled on about his 'plans'.

Well, he certainly hasn't planned very well if he came all the way out here only to have to return to Connlaoth to re-stock. You'd think he'd take supplies from these camps. The soldiers don't survive out here without support. He hasn't brought many people with him either unless there are more standing by elsewhere.

Seeing the tears in Katahnia's eyes nearly broke his heart. He squeezed her hand weakly, "It'll be alright," He assured her quietly despite being uncertain of the outcome of this situation himself, "we'll survive this." 

"I respect you a great deal in spite of our obvious differences in political and religious creed and I consider you a dear friend.  I - that is not a title that I grant superfluously." He went quiet for a moment, and by his expression it was clear that he was thinking of something more to say, "I think you've opened my eyes a bit to a couple things. Thank you for that; I mean it." Another pause, this time longer. "There's ...something I've wanted to tell you since around the time we met Joshua." He leaned in close and whispered something in her ear.

Three simple words.

~

Lana and the three men she'd taken with her had salvaged about as much from the ruins as they could when one of them spotted Blaith and his men approaching. Despite Lana's warning, two of the men decided foolishly to try and take Blaith on , confident that with the element of surprise and their magics that they would be victorious; Blaith's men made killing them look easier than breathing.

Lana and the remaining man, a teenager really, back away slowly.

visualspice

OOC: Three simple words: Pine cone beard

-------------------

A lightning mage- and one who focused on stunting magic, had come after Blaith in a fury. Unfortunately for them both, they were no match for Blaith. Had he been successfully stunned, it might have been the end of Blaith Harmond and his obsessive raids; ones that were only beginning to rise, and Duke Shanley had every right to question how well thought out Blaith's methods were. But one thing was clear, and it had brought him this far-
He wanted revenge. He wanted his sister back; and he would stop at nothing to gain the upper hand.

Internally, his mental stability was writhing, strangled behind layers collected swiftly over the past several years, and the new magics absorbed within him. Now, Blaith Harmond stood, hand placed tightly to the arm of the attacker, and the stunting mage went down, gurgling as his life was sucked from his body, in twelve terrifying moments of death. Then, as his eyes rolled back, the other mage's lightning cracked and whipped Blaith form-
For he would have finished the job in mere moments had there just been one. Now, recoiling from the burn of lightning and from the absorption of life and magic, Blaith steadied himself uneasily, wobbling over his boots as he shook his head, then turned just in time to grabt he other mages arm-
and that was the end. As lightning tore over him, it began to become swallowed deep inside him, and as his grip intensified,t he other mage cried out in pain as his life force slipped away, and he turned into a lifeless heap at his touch.

Dropping the grip, Blaith stared down at the charred body as fragments of the lightning hissed across his skin. A light dribble of blood ran down his nose, and everyone simply stared back at him in horror.

Paradox

Ooc:
No.It's much more sexier than that.

Beard in pinecone.

Ic:
A long silence followed, then , one of Blaith's men spoke, " What should we do about those two, boss?"

Lana stood stock-still, staring at the bodies of her companions in disbelief. They had been so young. It seemed perverted that anyone could kill them in such a ruthless manner. This man in the blazing armor was almost as bad as the Mordecai were, she thought. Almost, but she really had no idea. "You monster!" She spat venomously.

"Shut it, bitch!" Another one of the mages stepped forward and punched her across the jaw ; the blow was heavy and it sent Lana sprawling in the snow.

"I say we tie them up and leave them here to rot. Let the wolves have them. "

"Kill them. We shouldn't leave survivors."

"If she is a mage, we ought to show her some mercy." One of the few women among them reasoned. "What is the point of attacking these camps in the name of arcane liberation if we murder our own kind?"

"Why do we let women join us? "

"Fuck off, Derik. I could turn into a pile of ash before you had time to piss your pants. "

"Bitch, I'd like to see you try!"

"Shut up, the both of you!" 

One of the mages, a man named Gavin, approached Blaith nervously, "Sir? Are you alright?"  Gavin was one of the new recruits and wholly devoted to the cause...fanatical even, but he wasn't quite familiar with Blaith's unusual moods and perhaps more foolishly bold than the other mages. He did not cower or shrink back like a frightened dog for he believed that he had nothing to fear in being a believer. The others cowered simply because they doubted the cause. But not Gavin. Mages were superior and they would triumph under Blaith's leadership.

"And what about this Duke ? " Derik was saying.

"If he really is a Duke then he'll probably be trouble.  " The female mage replied with a scowl.

visualspice

It was their questioning of Duke Shanley that brought Blaith back to the present, and for a moment, the milky-white layer that had momentarily covered his eyes had faded. He paused a moment, his face unreadable as he took in Shanley and his cousin who cowered at his side. For a moment, he had a softness held in his eyes as he drew in a long breath through his nose.

"Unfortunately, they both know my identity...." He set his jaw, eyes never flinching, even as a sense of sadness could be seen. "We'll have to kill them both."

Paradox

"Is that really necessary?" The female mage inquired. She was no stranger to murder, but the more innocents she had been ordered to kill, the more hesitant and vocal she had become. She was beginning to believe that Blaith was the worst thing that happened to the cause, but she was just smart enough to have held her tongue on those thoughts for this long. She wasn't sure how much longer her sanity could take it. And , she thought, being female made her extremely cautious. Fortunately, she wasn't pretty. Half her body had been burned away , leaving nothing but ugly, twisted flesh. She was fully covered so no one could see much save for the charred flesh near her eye, "My Lord, I don't object to killing the men, but the women pose no threat surely. Especially not the elder woman and the child. Are we not fighting against this for sake of our people? What is the point if we kill everyone?"

"They should all die equally, Beryl." Derik sneered. "Or do you not believe in gender equality?"

"That is not why. One man is a Duke, the other is a mage whose friends tried to kill us and he would have tried the same,  but the women have done no wrong and neither has the child. What does it say about us if we just kill them for no reason at all?"

"Only because you killed our friends and loved ones, murderers!" The young man remaining with Lana spat.

Beryl looked as though she'd been slapped and lowered her gaze in shame because she knew this to be true. But there was little she could do about it. She wanted out. Had wanted out of this mess years ago, but she couldn't leave. Once you were in, you were in for life. The only way out was death.

"I'll finish them." Gavin volunteered with an enthusiasm that was unnerving.

Knowing that the situation was desperate and that his life as well as Katahnia's was dangling by a rather thin thread , Conall spoke up, " If you kill me, you're an even bigger fool than Allarick. Use your head, Blaith. Even if I wanted to expose you, who would listen? I'm dead, remember? Why would I betray someone who just saved my life and might be persuaded to verify who I am? "

He shrugged, "I don't know, that seems a rather...foolish choice of action for me. But not just for me, but for you as well. You evidently oppose Calent and your list of allies, I imagine, is rather slight. You know that I am one of Allarick's most ardent of adversaries. 'Tis no secret to anyone , really.  Individually, neither of us can take him down ,but perhaps together...we stand a better chance." He held out his hand which was bloodied and scarred from the torture, "I want to stop this war and I want to see Allarick and his sycophants pay for the transgressions they've committed against our people. I want to help you find your sister. What say you?"   

ooc: Post fixed. Let me know if this doesn't work for you.

visualspice

A series of emotions wrung through Blaith, easily transcribed within his eyes. The wildness, though, at the end, seemed to fade away, and something more recognizable came out as he pressed his lips together and stared directly into Conall's gaze, rather than through him. Too many points struck home, and he looked from Conall to Katahnia, then eventually back to Conall again.

"He's right." His voice came out gruff as he righted his shoulders. "He is one of the few against... Allarrick." He turned away, staring down at his arm for a moment and held it, as if it were tender, or in pain, before lifting his blue eyes back to him... then to his cousin.

"No one knows what has become of Kella, I'm sure you've heard.." he began. "And if she's not in these camps, I fear what might have happened to her. The stink of the government is as pungent as a skunk, and holds no bonds as it leaks into the bowels of the church. I've heard... quite a number of horror stories; and if she is not here...." he said, beginning to crack his shoulder with a slow roll. "I'd hate to think that'd we'd have to take on Angsar... next."

He looked Conall over again before slowly nodding his head.
"I do not know how well we can trust you, but, from what you say, even I'm no fool to see that it is clear; that few are true friends against this country in hopes to right it's own mistakes in the ideals of a new reconstruction." Blaith smiled subtly, though it was hollowed and forced. "Too bad they're all idiots and too afraid to listen. Too bad they're all idiots and do not understand the need for change."

"But we understand," came her voice, softly, from the darkness. Blaith's eyes registered the familiarity as he turned to take in his cousin. She dared to take a step nearer to him, until she was not but a few inches away as she looked up into his gaze. "Do not think of us as your enemy Blaith. We are relations, cousins, and we are bound by blood. Was it not your father who brought me back into society, after knowing full well what I was and what it could mean? I am indebted to your blood line forever, Gods rest your father's soul."

Blaith's eyes fell at her last comment, and slowly he nodded and moved to reglove his arms before stepping forward and pulling Katahnia into an awkward embrace. Tears clung to the corners of his eyes as he held her, but his expression remained hollowed as he stared through the ground as he held onto her tight.

"We will find Kella," Katahnia whispered. "She is not lost. She is a smart girl. Perhaps she had fled south? But only time will tell." And then she put her arms around him, wrapping him up int a more proper hug as she cried into his shoulder, Blaith's gloved hands slowly brushing through her blonde locks. "Oh, Blaith, what madness this world has become. If only the dukes could understand what their fear has initiated... if only they realized their mistakes."

Paradox

She's probably hiding from the monster that you have become. I can only pray that's the case and that she is well, but it is unlikely that we will ever know the truth.

His sharp green gaze flickered sideways briefly to Katahnia before returning to look fully upon Blaith as he listened to the man speak. Conall could only thank Ansgar that the man seemed , for the moment, a bit less crazed and a little more human. The man was still very much a vessel for insanity. Conall could still see the madness in Lord Harmond's eyes and hear it echo in his words.

When Katahnia left his side, he started to open his mouth to protest but hastily shut his mouth and simply watched, his stomach twisting in worried knots over her. He wanted to grab her by the arm and pull her away, but he remained where he was and quietly watched the exchange between cousins and every second Conall felt on edge because he was expecting the unstable bastard to suffer a psychotic episode and burn what was left of her face.

Blaith still hadn't apologized to her for that and that made Conall's blood boil.

"Perhaps there is a way to sway a few of them. You just have to think of the right thing to say." Conall stroked his beard with a hand, "It's true that many don't care about mage issues because they're ignorant to them. Now, as you know , appealing to zealots is futile but not every follower of Ansgarism is a zealot. Those whom are not blinded by their passion can be reasoned with though. If you appeal to other interests and offer them protection and better incentives for turning against Allarick, then you can manipulate them in a manner that plays better to your favor. You break up the alliance and it robs Allarick of power, making him an easier target. If you cannot sway any of the great houses, then there are always many more ambitious lesser houses to turn to." 

As an afterthought, he added in a tone that was just barely neutral, "Katahnia requires medical attention. You did burn her, remember? "

ooc: Great last post, btw!

visualspice

It took Blaith some time to digest fully this situation, especially since he was.returning more to himself. The look in his eyes continued to.soften as his face twisted in thought over the exiled duke's suggestion.
"Yes, there is much to consider in the way of politics, but were you not there on that day to see.how easily the other duke's were swayed by Allarrick's vehement thoughts? Like moths to his flames he'd draw them to his side, and a duke like me.could scarcely cut a.word in."

He have Conall a once over before turning regretfully to his cousin.
"I am.sorry, Kat. These... Have been most trying times. We can see to her wounds, but quickly." And his eyes went towards the sky as he observed, "There is only so much day light. We must move fast."

Once  Katahnia was seen to, supplies were scavenged, and the survivors accessed. It seems a truce had been won, and as her wounds were bound up.tight, Katahnia stole a warm glance and smile towards Conall, her eyes.speaking volumes were her lips could not.

Ooc: hope this post is ok! Doing it.on my phone with my dog sleeping across my chest, lol.

Paradox

"A pity that I wasn't , but the timing was rather questionable wasn't it? I wonder how many put two and two together. That it was quite convenient that a mage would murder me of all people on a day that I likely would have spoken out against our precious Grand Duke quite loudly.  No , I'm afraid that I was a tad bit preoccupied with being betrayed and sent to a living hell ."

Conall shook his head and shrugged slightly, "No. I was not present for when the war 'officially' started. However, I was around for all the propaganda and the building paranoia within the country. I cannot say that I knew precisely what would pass , but  Allarick did not garner near unanimous support from the great houses in a single speech. He's been working on this for years . Unfortunately, I placed a little too much faith in people and 'common sense'. " He shook his head, feeling a lot more guilty than he sounded. "But regrets and acceptance do little to serve us now or the good people. You may not be able to reach anyone the first time you speak, but like I said, " He spat out some blood in the snow, "Alignments are shifting all the time and the friends Calent once thought he had, might not be so favorable towards him anymore because it's impossible for him to please everyone. I think finding out who those disgruntled parties are is worth pursuing more so than a more violent course of action. Bloodshed will come in the future, most likely, and it has already been so more than I care for but that doesn't mean it is the only way to get things done.  Of course, I cannot tell you how to run your campaign. If you wish for violence, I cannot and will not stand in your way so long as you leave Ardal and her allies alone."

He sat by quietly while Blaith and his men scrounged for supplies and attended to Katahnia. Though they failed to treat him, he dared not to complain about it. He knew he'd already tested enough waters today and was simply fortunate enough to be spared. As they were departing from the camp that lay in smoldering ruins, he exchanged a brief glance with Katahnia. He nodded very slightly to acknowledge that look she gave him, but could not wear a smile on his busted, bloodied lips. His one good eye held a soft, green gaze that reflected his concern.

Lana and the three other survivors followed behind them. Lana's expression was cold and somewhat bitter every time it focused on Conall, but she was silent the entire time.

As the day wore on, Conall collapsed face first in the snow an hour before the party reached their selected camping site.

"What a pain in the ass. We should just leave him here to die, " Gavin volunteered.

However, the female mage, Beryl was already trying to lift the unconscious duke out of the snow. "Someone help me here, please."

visualspice

Ooc: time shift!! You can assume they've traveled some, then made camp.

It was only natural Katahnia helped, and soon Conall was resting in a make shift bed.near the fire.side. For hours she looked after him in silence as the orange flames from the fire danced off his form. It was here her cousin approached her and voiced his concern.

"You know, you really ought to be sleeping. Tomorrow will be a long day. These lands are not easily traveled."

Kathania smiled at her cousin tiredly.
"I am aware. I just wish to.stay up just a bit longer."

Blaith went quiet as he studied her before nodding.

"Seems you've taken a fancy to the Duke of Ardal..." And as Katahnia turned and gaped at her cousin, he smirked and added, "Not.that I didn't already know that. Both you and Kella had.become quite smitten with him." Katahnia continued to stare.

"Blaith I..."

"Don't worry about it." And he chuckled softly. "I was.jealous at.first but that was before I realized something..."

"You? Jealous?" Katahnia inquired with a short chuckle. "What ever for?" But.the serious look on Blaith's face had her.smile fading.

"Because I realized I loved Kella, and that her heart would belong to.someone else." The two went quiet for a time before Blaith turned to her with a short smile. "I know its not.right, since she is my sister, so at first I was confused. But she and I are cut.from.the same mold... And who better to protect her than the brother who loves her?" Again, there was more silence as Katahnia pressed her lips together in thought.

"Kella does love you-"

Blaith cut her off with a laugh.

"Then why does she run from me?" Katahnia closed her lips and looked questionably.at her cousin. "Does she not realize how I care for her? That I strive for a nee direction so.that.mages like us will not have to hide away from the world and there can be peace?"

"So Kella has run from you?" Katahnia questioned. Blaith turned towards her, a frantic look in his eyes before he turned away and shook his head. "Then what is it? Blaith say something..." And it looked as if her blue eyed cousin were about to.cry. "Blaith.." but just like that, he was gone.

Ooc:  phew! All this was typed on.my phone @_@

Paradox

The sound of Blaith's voice, or rather, the strain in it when he spoke of his sister had woken the light-sleeping duke of Ardal. However , wisely, Conall chose to feign sleeping until the man had departed. Now his good eye fluttered open and he stared up at Katahnia. Still groggy, he wasn't aware of how much time had passed or even what time of day it was.

"Apologies.I held up as long as I could." He told her quietly.  He couldn't move much. His body was tired, heavy. "How long have I been...out?"

And then he panicked ,"What happened to Lana and the other survivors!?" He shot up halfway in bed and then gasped out painfully and collapsed back down and cursed through his teeth. "Brilliant, Shanley, brilliant. By all means, injure yourself to further uselessness. "

((such a long post , I have made! ))

visualspice

Katahnia turned to Conall when he awoke, but at his sudden reactions, she gasped and moved in closer to his side.
"Do not strain yourself. You've been out for half a day," she pressed, her eyes meeting his as she rested a hand upon his shoulder. "You need your rest, Conall. Please.. remain still. Let me get you something to drink." And once a water skin was produced, she handed it over to him once she opened it. "Here, drink as much as you'd like." Then after a moment, she brushed some loose strands of hair from her face and went quiet.

"The others are alright. They're asleep," and she gestured towards a small, make shift tent to their left. "I let them have the tent for the night. There is only one for us and the others to share. We have to travel light if we are to travel fast..." A repeated phrase from Blaith himself, and as she said it, her eyes went soft and distant, and sad, as she looked down at the blue, nighttime snow.

Paradox

He accepted the water skin and brought it shakily to his lips. He drank deep, but slow and was careful not to spill a drop in haste. When he'd had his fill he handed it back to her and offered her a weak smile, "Thank you."

At the mention of the others being alright, Conall's shoulders lowered, the tenseness in his body visibly relaxing a bit as if a great weight had been lifted from his shoulders. He nodded, looking and sounding relieved, "Thank Ansgar. I was so sure..." He stopped himself and noted the look on her face. "What's wrong?"