Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Hanging from an Ice-Cold Chandelier

Started by visualspice, June 03, 2013, 09:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

There was a halo of light ghosting around his body, ribboning through rainbows of colors as Kathania laid there on the floor, staring up at his form. Smoke billowed behind him, his weapons and armor in flames as those blue eyes stared down at her with an unfamiliar ice, but a familiar shape and face set within. Curiously, Katahnia tilted her head as she looked up at her cousin, her lips parting as she spoke his name.

"Blaith?"

The man, who stood like a savage, beastily soldier, kept his head tilted as he looked down at her bleeding form, numbed from all of the wreckage strewn on top of her, but he didn't move to reach her.

"Blaith?" she repeated the words again, her voice soft, and croaky, and the rest of her hearing nearly deafened  from the explosion but a moment before. She tried to move her body, and weakly sat up, and it was only after a moment did a flicker of recognition pass through Blaith's pale eyes.

"Kat?"

Katahhia released a relieved breath, her eyes welling up with tears as she struggled to her feet and threw herself into the man's arm, careful of the smoldering flames of his weapons. For a moment, Blaith didn't hug back, but Katahnia didn't care as she sobbed away into his shoulder and clung to him so very tight.

And she smelled of fresh soap.. with soft blonde hair tickling at his face-
a fragment of memories stolen from another bubbled up to the surface, and before Blaith knew what he was doing, words purred from his lips as he grabbed her by her cheeks and their lips crashed together with need....

And in that moment, not only did surprise take hold of Katahnia, but something else as well; as she felt some force within her being pulled, being sucked out- as if the man was drinking from her body from a kiss; and the sensation left her tingling, tickling and stunned.

And back int he hallway Lana and the others ran fast.
"She'd be down here! In this room.." though as she paused before it to catch her breath, she noticed there was a bolt across the door. Drake didn't hesitate as he moved forward to help her lift it, but the moment the door was opened and the pair rushed in-
"Kat!"
They stopped dead in their tracks, wide eyed as she was being kissed by a man in flaming armor.
And in the moment, something bubbled to the surface as Blaith returned tohimself, tearing his lips away from Katahnia as he held his blazing sword near to her as he glared back at the group who approached.

"Stand down or I'll cut her throat..." he growled, eyes narrowing viciously upon them as he took a single step back upon the crumbles of stony debris, all the while Katahnia felt light headed, the world swimming around her again like a carousel, with music that wasn't there, with a light headed, dizzy sensation, and colors haloing everything. Blood was pouring down quickly from her face, and as she turned to observe the group at the door, they were nothing more than a fuzzy vision of ghosts.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

He couldn't believe his eyes.

Blaith? What is he doing here? And what was he doing to Katahnia?

"Katahnia!" He surged forward , prepared to meet Blaith head on armed with nothing more than an ordinary sword. When Blaith raised his searing blade and threatened the woman's life, that halted Conall dead in his tracks. He stared at Blaith in disbelief. He had never truly known the man, but the man he'd met years ago had seemed like an entirely different person and not the sort to threaten his own kin.

"Please, don't hurt her any further. I yield." He dropped the sword and held up his hands to show that he was unarmed.

"Bastard!" Drake started to move forward but Conall threw out a restraining arm to block his path.

"No! He's dangerous even without the enchantments. Trust me."

Drake looked at Conall and then glared at Blaith. He snarled, but backed off.

"There's also madness in his eyes, " Lana observed quietly. "Be careful."

"Are you with the people attacking this place?" Conall inquired, "Look, we don't want any trouble. If you'd just let us go, we'd be more than happy to stay out of your way."

visualspice

It all happened so fast, and the world around her was swimming- but the smell and burning sensations piercing her flesh came through and broke her from her moment of surprise as she cried out, her clothing suddenly on fire, as was her hair, which, despite being wet, still smoked.

"B-Blaith!" she shouted, even witht he sword at her throat. "Blaith please stop! You're burning me!" she siad, tears in her eyes.

The familiar voice brought him back to the presence, and before he realized what he was doing, he dropped Katahnia, and she fell to her knees, gasping and crying out as she attempted to pat herself down from the flames that were scorching at her flesh.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

He was ignored and Katahnia was set to flames. Something in Conall snapped and he recollected his weapon from the ground and charged at the man. He closed the gap between them with surprising speed considering the injuries that he'd sustained.

"On your guard, coward!" Undaunted, Conall parried the burning blade ,and stepped between Blaith and Katahnia, forming a defensive barrier for the woman. "If you want her, you'll have to get through me!"

"Come on! Let's help Kat while he's distracted!" Lana called to Drake as she ran over to the woman. The pair proceeded to pat the flames out as quickly as possible.

visualspice

Blaith smacked Conall's blade aside and stood at the defensive, peering back at the man as his eyes narrowed and something creeped within the back of his mind. He tilted his head curiously, his eyes, wild, almost deranged as he asked...
"Do I know you?"

And then Katahnia, terrified, knew no better as she blurted out, "It's Shanley! Duke Conall Shanley." And as Lana and Drake were trying to hold her back, the pair of them gasped as Katahnia broke their hold and she rushed to Conall's side. "Our friend..."s he reminded, placing a hand upon Blaith's arm, around where theflames were flickering.

For a moment, Blaith's eyes cut into the pair of them before he lowered his blade and laughed.
"A duke? A duke in this hell hole? No wonder all of Connlaoth is in Hell."
He looked Conall over and gave a sneer. "Drop your blade. I'm not here to fight the prisoners."

Paradox

"I'm no one of consequence," Conall replied flatly , recovering from parry and holding his stolen sword at the ready with a trembling arm. He was sorely outmatched here and he knew it, but he refused to back down. His father had taught him to show no fear, but the fear in Conall showed quite plainly as did the determination.

But then Katahnia had to open her big mouth and reveal his idenity . Again.

Oh shit. Conall thought, concerned what the others would think of him. Concerned that Blaith would remember him and not look upon him very favorably.

When he was told to drop the weapon, he shook his head, "No. I don't trust you. I begged you not to hurt Katahnia and you've done it anyway. Ansgar only knows whether or not you intend to honor your words. This sword stays in my hand and I will remain between you and these innocent people. We have no reason to fight each other , do we? You go your way, and we'll go ours. "

He didn't expect Blaith to agree. Prideful men were always difficult to negotiate with. "I told you before. We don't want any trouble. "

ooc: Feel free to kick his ass if you want. lol

visualspice

Blaith stared at Conall for a good long while, before suddenly knocking him hard across the face. Grabbing onto Kathania's hand, he dragged his cousin along behind him before glaring back at the other two.

"I'm here to take this place and burn it to the ground. I suggest you all run while you can." And before Katahnia had a chance to protest, Blaith dragged her back to his side and disappeared down the smoke filled hall.

Paradox

Normally, he probably would have detected an incoming fist, but as dizzy and weak as he was feeling and with only one eye to see with- Conall didn't identify the impending punch until it was a split second away from his nose. His head jerked back and he stumbled back into Drake, blood streaming from his nostrils.

Drake caught Conall in his strong arms and righted the man on his feet, " You okay?"

Conall wiped the blood from his nose and nodded in spite of the pain and dizziness.  He couldn't focus on himself right now. He was concerned about Blaith. About what the man's purpose was here and what he'd do to Katahnia.

As soon as Blaith left the room, the door shut behind him. Lana ran to the door, but not before the trio heard the telltale click of a lock.  "Damn! He's locked us in!" Lana tried the door knob , but it held fast. And not long after she made that declaration, the doorknob grew incredibly hot and fire licked hungrily at the door. She backed away hastily. "I guess we'll need another way out..."

Drake looked around , "Uh...I hate to say this guys, but I don't think there is one!"

Conall shook his head, "The door is made of wood. We'll break through it. " He handed the sword to Drake. "Hack through."

"Yes, my Lord!" Drake went over to the door and proceeded to hack at it, striking as hard and quickly as he could, coughing as more and more smoke came into the room.

Conall sighed, "Please don't call me that. "

Drake whooped as the final strike at the door broke open a sizable hole that was large enough to squeeze through. He poked his head through and saw Blaith's form retreating down the hall. He backed out and then turned to his companions and gestured to the pair of them, "Hurry up! Coast is clear!" He gave the sword to Conall who seemed to have more experience with war than the cobbler did.

Conall went first followed by Lana . Drake followed at the rear. Conall moved quickly down the hall, jogging because it was the fastest speed his body could handle.

visualspice

The whole place was in a panic. Smoke twisted and writhed just feet above the ground as it rolled around like an untamed serpent while coiling it's way through the narrow halls. The sounds of men shouting  could be heard off near the ends by the southern wall where the attacked was now focused, and a few gun shots could be heard before suddenly- there was a loud BOOM- and the entire south entrance wall fell.

Katahnia had witnessed the entire act and had been subdued by fear as she watched it all as Blaith dragged her along, but when her wits returned about her, she struggled within his grasp and suddenly slapped a hand across his face.

"Blaith Harmond, what is the matter with you!? What is going on here? Tell me.." and her eyes pleaded with him. "Please.."

The pair were positioned just outside the southern gate as it was set ablaze, rubble from the wall littered everywhere. Blaith's eyes traced the outcome as his men were cornering soldier and guard after soldier and guard, and slaughtered each and every one of them.

Then he turned to face Katahnia, who's eyes were large and wavering. His gaze didn't soften as his looks went stern.
"We're here to start a revolution," and he grabbed her gruffly by the wrist again and added smartly, "Just like you."

At his words, Katahnia slapped him again, but this time, Blaith was getting angry as he growled through his nose and pulled her close.

"Blaith, what has become of you!?" she said, her eyes flickering wildly. "You don't look or sound like the same man..."

His blue eyes narrowed icily upon her, ashis grip tightened so much it made her hurt as she dropped to one knee.

"Bl-blaith, you're hurting me!" she protested, peering up at him in fear as his armor's flames reflected within his eyes.

"That's because, my dear cousin, I am not the same man you thought. Not forget what you've seen here today or I'll have you killed."
And Katahnia fell silent as her face went ghostly white.
And a second later, Blaith was dragging her to her feet. "And whether you like it or not, you're coming with me."
And his lips twitched into a cold smile, "Or did you forget we're supposed to get married?"

Paradox

Conall wasn't a stranger to battle. It wasn't difficult for him to shut out the screams , the shots, the clashing of steel , and focus on what was in front of him. Were this Ardal, he would have known precisely what to do. He would have rallied his men and pushed out these invaders. But this was not Ardal , he was no longer a duke, and the only men he had were the two people behind him. Two ordinary people with no formal military training whatsoever.

Our chances of survival seem...slightly above improbable. Conall thought as he hurried down the smoking hall.

There was an explosion then that shook the entire building and nearly caused the running trio to lose their balance.

"What he hell was that!?" Drake gasped.

"It sounded like an explosion, "Conall shouted above the battle's din."It felt like it came from the south."

"Shit! Where do they get that kinda stuff? I thought only the army had that kinda -"

"Stolen, most likely OR it's magic. I hear mages can create something called mana bombs."

"Shit!" Drake snarled as another explosion rocked the building, causing the section of hallway behind them to collapse in on itself. Had the explosion occurred ten seconds earlier, they would have been crushed to death.

"Well, we're not going back the way we came from."

"Why would we want to?" Lana frowned.

"There they are up ahead, "Conall pointed Blaith and Katahnia out. They were standing just outside the doorway that ended the hall and led out of the building. 

"Uh...but who is that other guy? Creeping up behind them?" Drake pointed to an armored man slipping out of one of the rooms that lined the hall and slowly advancing behind the mage with his sword raised for a killing blow.

"An imbecile." Conall sighed, not all that enthusiastic about helping an enemy but Blaith had Katahnia with him and if that bastard were to be cut down, he knew that Kat would likely follow him shortly after.  Conall cried out , "Blaith! Behind you!"

The Mordecai advancing on the man's unprotected back swore and lunged at the man with sword drawn, knowing that either way he was probably going to die. Might as well at least try to take a damned heathen out with him!

visualspice

Blaith heard the voice and looked Conall's way with a steeled glare, before tearing his sword powerfully across the air and ramming it into the man's side. With the mordecai temporarily wounded and tripping over his own two feet, Blaith took the moment to jam the sword clean through the man's torso, and Katahnia's eyes widened as she gasped, backing away a few steps in fear as she listened to the man breath his last breath before Blaith kicked him off the end of his bloodied blade and he fell over, bleeding onto the frozen ground.

Before Anyone had a chance to react, Blaith snatched onto Katahnia's wrist again and began to drag her off.

"Blaith- what are you doing!? Why are you dragging me away like this!? Why are you even here!?"

And then he paused just a moment, at the top of a pile of rubble as he glanced down at Katahnia, his mind whirling, mixing the love inside him for his blonde haired sister with the betrothal to his blonde haired cousin as he growled softly, "To find Kella.." And his eyes only softened hten, before they cut into back towards the others like steel. "And to bring these mage camps down. If I find her here... all of Connlaoth will burn."

And finding herself stunned again, Katahnia was dragged off at his side into a swell of on coming smoke.

Paradox

"I'm going after them," Conall informed Lana and Drake, "thank you for following me this far, my friends. I'm sorry that I wasn't entirely honest about..."

"It's cool." Drake replied with a shrug. "Really not a good time to get mad about that anyway. You need to save your girl. I'd go with you, man ,but I gotta find my mother and help any others that I can. Didn't think shit would get this bad..."

Conall nodded, understanding, "Take care."

"You too, Duke Shanley. Don't die and maybe we'll see each other again some day, eh? Funny, you're one first nobles I haven't wanted to sock in the face."

"...thanks. " That was a compliment , right?

Drake laughed and moved past, making his way towards the holding cells where he'd left his mother in the care of a couple he'd befriended during his time imprisoned there.

To Conall's surprise, Lana lingered behind, looking unsure. "Aren't you going with him?"

"My loved ones are gone and you shouldn't go alone."

Conall shook his head, " I appreciate your concern but the others need you. "

"I'm going with you whether you like it or not. You can't do this alone. Please. I'm not helpless once we're clear of the Mordecai."

Conall nodded slightly , "But you said..."

"I know. And I wasn't lying. Here , we have no magic."

"Very well. I don't have any more time to argue with you and I'm not going to turn down offered help where it's given. Let us make haste then!"

They pressed on, leaving the building and following after Blaith who, in his armor , was not all that difficult to spot. 

All around them fires consumed nearly everything and the heat was so intense that it was melting the snow surrounding the immediate area. Bodies of prisoners, Mordecai and a few of the robed fanatics littered the ground. Conall noted that more than a few children lie among the dead.

Behind him , he heard Lana gasp. Hopefully she could control her emotions and continue on or else he'd have to simply leave her behind with Drake and whatever survivors who managed to walk away from this.

"Keep your eyes peeled for a weapon!" Conall shouted.

Lana nodded. "I really don't know how to use one."

"Well, you're going to have to learn pretty quickly!"

Lana paused to collect a sword from one of the slain Mordecai and gave it a test swing as she moved. It was heavy and awkward in her hand. She could do this, she reassured herself. She had to. "Never thought I'd end up fighting other mages." She mused.

"And I never thought I'd be fighting Mordecai."

"Fair enough!"

visualspice

It was true, Blaith Harmond stuck out like a sore thumb, with his armor roaring in yellow flames against the blackened skies. Katahnia looked skyward, her eyes welling upa nd stinging with tears. It was so difficult to breath here,t hough as she lagged behind, Blaith's strong arm pulled her closer, and she found herself stumbling against his armor, and burning herself as she dropped to her knees.

And just at that moment,t he smoke began to fade, and a man pointed a gun directly at Blaith's head.
"Stay right where you are..."
It was the Captain, or so she thought, but upon further scrutiny, it must've been the man beneath him, or his brother-f or he looked alike but did not wear the appropriate markings. Katahnia bit nervously into her lower lips, her head still swirling, her skin red from burns as the smoke continued to roll past, but it did not deter the man from readying his flint-lock gun.

Paradox

"Reckless fool!" Conall snarled, seeing that yet again Blaith had left his back exposed and one of the Mordecai had a rifle pointed right at Blaith's head. Something in his gut told him that NO magic Blaith possessed was going to stop a bullet. Not at such a close range. But he hardly knew all types of magics and could have been mistaken quite easily. 

"Look who's talking! " Lana smirked.

Conall had no argument for that. He was chasing after mages with no real backup and no real defense against them. Really, Lana made a good point. He was the fool. And what was he doing it for? One person? A friend.

Was that really such a bad reason even if it was a tad bit selfish?

They were closing in when one of the robed fighters stepped out in front of them and held up a staff, pointing it at them. Something told Conall that it'd probably be a very good idea not to be lined up in its sight. "Move aside!" He jumped aside and Lana mimicked him and not a moment too soon as a stream of flames shot out from the enchanted weapon . Conall charged at the mage who cursed and raised the staff in time to deflect the duke's sword. They exchanged a few blows and Conall wasn't looking to be faring well. 

While the two were preoccupied, Lana slipped around behind the mage.

Conall was surprised when a blade plunged through the mage's chest. The mage stared wide-eyed at Conall, "Damned...woman..." he gasped and collapsed face-down and died.

Lana stood over the slain man, appearing visibly shaken.

"Lana, pull yourself together!"

"That's the first time I..."

Conall went over to her and touched her shoulder, "You can't afford to fall apart right now. Be strong, friend."

The woman took a deep breath and nodded. It took a couple strong yanks, but she managed to rip the blade free from the slain man's back. The repulsed look on her face made him feel bad for her. This war made good people do terrible things...

ooc: I will leave the gunman up to you unless you want to prolong that and let Conall kill him. >>

visualspice

A gun man.. how irritable...
Blaith simply sneered at the man, his eyes as cold as ice as he looked down the barrel..
but then something changed, he felt the air become... different.
And that's when he knew..
the last mordecai on guard here had fallen.

His expression quickly became dark, and the arctic air, even more frigid than before. Katahnia felt her own hands ice up from Blaiths' touch as her eyes widened as she looked over at him.
"Blaith- what are you doing- you can't-"

And not a second later, he waved his hand as the gun fired-
and the bullet froze in place- nad a moment later, the icy powers waved from Blaith's hand began to creep upa nd up the gun man's body, his eyes widening as he started to shout- but became frozen in place.... completely incased in ice.

Katahnia felt her legs give way at the sight, but in the same breath, realized.. her own powers were returning... and before she knew what she was doing, her hand lit up in a blaze of fire and she knocked Blaith clean across the skull.

"You idiot! What has gotten into you!? If it's for Kella... then ask yourself, ...Why .. why would Kella be here!? What would dragging me around accomplish!? Have you truly gone mad!? Are the rumors true as to what has become of you!?"

And suddenly Blaith's dark eyes turned towards her, and his hand shot out, grabbing onto her flaming wrist, which began to freeze...t he flames going out, and she let out a sharp cry, realizing...
Blaith was trying to turn her into a frozen statue, too!

Paradox

Conall heard a gunshot ring out and assumed that the man holding Blaith at gunpoint had fired. He expected Blaith to be dead, but instead it seemed magic protected him, freezing the bullet and encasing the gunman in a thick , icy shell.

"Ansgar..."How the hell was he supposed to confront something like that

Lana stood behind him, equally frozen in intimidation and awe.

Surely, not all of the Mordecai were dead.

When Blaith began freezing Katahnia, however, Conall broke out into a run. He grabbed the man's arm and forced it away from Katahnia , ignoring the searing pain that burned his head. A wave of illness washed through him and with it a surge of magical negating energy that made his stomach lurch and give him such a powerful urge to vomit. His touch, however halted the ice. Blocked the magic and he wasn't aware of that. He could only think of stopping this man from doing something unthinkable,  "How could you do this? She's your cousin!" Conall growled and shoved Blaith a step back.

visualspice

At Conall's irrational action,t he only thing Blaith could do to retaliate was to sock the man back int he face, leaving Katahnia gasping as she caught Conall in her arms.

"I came here on a mission," he growled at the pair of them. "I'm looking for Kella, and I'll blow up every mage camp from here to the ocean if I have to." And before either of them could stop him, he gave a whistle for his horse and shouted out to his men. "Keep looking for her! And if she's not int he lower holding cells, blow them up!" his voice bellowed.

Katahnia watched in horror, shivering beside Conall as the winds carried in fluffy, cold flakes of snow.
"Gods.." she whimpered. "What's wrong with him?"

Paradox

"Insanity, " Conall replied , pressing a hand to his the multiple injuries he'd sustained to the face.He felt around his face to ascertain that nothing was broken and turned around to face Katahnia. "In all honesty I was certain that he was going to kill me." He studied the burns on her skin, "We should probably do something about your injuries but first..."

He looked back towards the holding cell and hoped that Drake and the rest of the prisoners had done the smart thing and got the hell out of there.

"I wonder if the others made it out ..."

"Many didn't." Lana reminded him flatly.

Conall looked remorseful, but said nothing and simply shook his head.

"I saw burn marks on some of the children. Why?"

Conall shook his head. He had no answers for that, "We should try to find Drake and see if we can help him. He felt the strength leave him and he collapsed back into Katahnia's arms.

"Are you alright?" Lana asked, alarmed.

"I just feel a little dizzy from that blow to my head, " he lied smoothly. "I'll be fine."

"We should probably avoid this Blaith, "Lana suggested, "He might not be so generous as to let us walk away alive next time."

Conall nodded, "You two...go ahead. There are others that need help. I...need a moment to rest here."

"Are you sur-"

"Go!" Conall snapped at her irritably.

Lana exchanged glances with Katahnia and then reluctantly started to move away.

visualspice

Worry over came her like a fever, and she supported him with all of her strength, but when he tried to get her to leave, her face scrunched up in anger as she shook her head.
"What are you,a fool? I will absolutely NOT leave you here, Conall!" she spat. "We're in this together,"she said, her eyes flaming as they looked into his. "And we're going to see this through." And hse took his hand, squeezing it lightly. "There's no way you can walk in this condition." And she called over to Lana. "I'll help him out of here!"

Conall be damned! She wasn't about to listen to him and leave his sorry ass behind!

Paradox

Lana nodded, "Alright. I'll be back as soon as I can!" She took off running.

"Leave me behind? Why are women so dramatic about everything? " Conall winced and shook his head with a sigh, "I meant to say you should leave me here for the moment. I don't think I'll be bothered further so long as I stay out of the way." Then again, one could never trust the actions or words of an unstable man. Who was to say that Blaith wouldn't get a wild hair up his ass, return and fry his sorry ass?

"Your concern for me is touching, but if Blaith's men are headed towards the holding cells and there are people still there...do you really think they'll be spared? They don't seem past killing innocent children who get in the way. "

Was there really anything they could do if something went wrong?  He wasn't even sure what kind of mage Lana was or if her ability would be enough to protect herself. "You wouldn't let Lana go alone , would you? " 

He looked her in the eyes briefly and sighed then lowered his gaze, knowing what the answer to the question was going to be. "Ansgar, woman! You're so....damn stubborn!" He growled, frustrated with her. "I told you both. I'm fi-" A fit of violent coughing exposed that lie rather quickly.