Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Justice Wears a Clever Disguise! (Spice!)

Started by Ivory, September 09, 2013, 06:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivory

"...See?"  Audric asked, even though, clearly, they did see.  His exasperation changed to delight, however, as he once again held his sword in his hand.  He had missed its weight on his belt, even in the short time he had gone without.  It just hadn't felt right!

And now here he was again armed and, momentarily, out of the clutches of the guards.  He grinned broadly and mock-saluted the masked man...and then, subtly, he took a step back as the guards shouted after the Mordecai.

Then another.

And another.

And then he broke into a run.

"Hey!  The other guy's gone now too!" one of the guards exclaimed.

"There he is!  Go after him!  You two, go after that one!  There must be two Masked Mordecai!"

...Yeah, these guys really were stupid, weren't they?  Audric turned into an alley, then barged in through the backdoor of a restaurant.  He wasn't going to kill anybody, but, somehow, he didn't think these men felt the same way about him!

visualspice

"What?" Leif was just as confused by the guards 'dumb-assery' as Audric was. Growling, he was vaulting himself from roof top to rooftop until he lost the guards trail that were after him and had them going in circles. He doubled back, curiously checking in to see what 'the other' masked mordecai was up to as he slipped into an upper window of the restaurant, knowing full well the man was still inside as there were shrieks and screams down below.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Audric excused himself and apologized profusely to the kitchen staff as he ducked through the kitchen and out into the main dining hall.  A glance around gave him a good idea to buy himself some time, and he wedged a dessert cart up against the kitchen door.  No sooner had he finished than he heard a bang as a guard attempted to throw open the door in his wake, only to be rebuffed, unexpectedly, by the table.

Even though Audric had always been on the side of the law, it made him laugh out loud -- but he wasn't stupid enough to stay.  He hurried out the front door and did, precisely, what the guards would least expect; he rounded the corner, scurried up the fire escape, and very soon, stepped into the upper room of the restaurant.

And it was already occupied...

His hand fell to his sword a moment -- but, then, realizing who it was, he released it with a grin.  "Masked Mordecai.  I owe you a thanks for returning my sword."

visualspice

Leif had a blade ready, but then lowered it upon hearing Audric's voice.
"Consider it a welcome so long as you don't aim to point it at me."
Then with a nod, he looked down at the floor boards, the beating of the kitchen door evident.
"So they think you're still in the kitchen?" he said, raising his green eyes up to his. Then after a moment he considered... "How are you at jumping on roof tops?"
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Audric grinned cheekily.  "I generally don't threaten my friends."  Audric made friends easily!  Especially if it was someone so clearly on his side and willing to risk the wrath of the guards...even if it was something he did on a fairly regular basis.

He glanced down at the floorboards as well, considering a moment before looking back up to the Masked Mordecai.  "Actually, I locked them in the kitchen.  By the time they--"  There was a crash from downstairs, and then some swearing as the dessert cart finally gave!  "Ah, that is, they'll notice I"m not in the restaurant.  I assume they'll be directed to the front door, where the guards will find an empty street.  It seems doubtful they're going to look for us up here, don't you think?"

They were idiots, after all!

His eyebrows rose slightly, then, and he added, in response to the query, "I can't say I've much practice."

visualspice

Leif hesitated as he stared over at Audric. Friends? Hardly, and he snorted at the word. But at his mention of the guards not finding them here...
The foot steps confirmed that as, a moment later, they were racing down teh street. Peering out from the window, Leif smirked.

"The guards here are quite charming."

Ivory

"I was going to use a more unkind phrase than that," Audric answered cheerfully.  He settled back against the wall to watch the masked man with his arms crossed and an expression of amusement.

"I can't say I've ever had to run from the guards before."  No, he was usually the one doing the chasing!  "And even if you may have been a bit right, I'm not going to admit it, so you may as well save your 'I told you so' speech."

He thought it over a moment, then he straightened slightly with a curious expression.  "Do you actually enjoy running from the guards like this?"

visualspice

Leif looked Audric over in  silence. Though Audric's identity was still unknown, he supposed it was for the best. He doubted he knew this man anyways. Though his mannerisms..
They were a lot more.. refined than most he ran into. Though not entirely so. Perhaps he was looking into it too much?

Glancing away, he peered down at the now empty streets.

"It would be easier if we were all on the same page, but it seems the laws write themselves now. Guilty is up to the interpretation of the men carrying blades; and those who employ them are doing a shitty job. Too many innocents are being lumped in with the guilty, and we have the new Grand Dule and his chaotic new laws to thank for that."

Really, the way he wrote them.. it was as if he intended for loop holes that directly affected the welfare of mages, and any of those associated. Not to mention the increase in taxes and the half-assed training for these so called 'guards'.

Ivory

Audric's temper momentarily flared, but he regained control of his tongue before he could give himself away.  More mildly than he felt like speaking, he answered, "The Grand Duke cannot be held accountable for every man in Connlaoth.  He is trying to protect the people."

Curiously, he asked, "What would you have him do, if you could advise him?  You are clearly closer to the people than he is, or his Court."

visualspice

Leif shot Audric a sharp stare.
"Stop suffocating the people." And he moved to open the window before slipping out.

Ivory

Audric frowned thoughtfully at that, stepping over to the window and leaning out as the Masked Mordecai left.

"That's hardly constructive criticism..."

They weren't suffocating anybody!  Well, except, maybe, the mages, a little bit, but...

"What is it, exactly, you think you're going to accomplish by wearing a mask and rescuing the odd maiden, anyway?"  It hardly seemed like a reliable platform for change...

visualspice

"I doubt I'll accomplish anything," he told the man cynically from where he was now perched upon the roof. "But it's better than doing nothing. Though I suppose I could try to put my thumb up the Grand Duke's ass like all of the other nobleman. Though I'm not fond of the smell of shit."

Ivory

"Nor am I," Audric agreed wryly.  He knew exactly what the Masked Mordecai meant...  He had never cared much for many of the nobles that now preened over Calent, hoping for a bit of recognition.

He paused then, a look of curious triumph crossing his face.  "...Did you just say other noblemen?"

visualspice

The air was quiet for a while, before the sounds of boots marked the disappearance of the man in the mask- and now the only sounds that came were the crickets chirping inthenight, and the rowdy crowds eventually heard in haunting echoes from the whore houses or taverns on the seedier side of town. Though the guards were still prowling, for that moment, it seemed as if Reajh lay in peace.

Ivory

(OOC: A bit mature!)

It was some months later on the eve of the Grand Duke's wedding.

The night air was surprisingly cool and welcoming after the heat of the banquet hall.  Audric breathed in deeply, relishing the way it made his head spin a bit after the wine he had imbibed.  It wasn't enough to make him dizzy or unsteady -- but it was enough to make him a little more independent than a man in his position should otherwise be.

"We'll have your carriage here shortly, my Lord," a servant said with a bow, then scurried away.

Audric looked after him a moment, then around himself.  There were servants and nobles milling everywhere, preparing to depart for their night lodgings...  A smart man would have waited for his servant to return; Audric had had just enough wine to make him the opposite.

Pulling a random cloak from the arms of a servant, who assumed it must belong to him (because, really, why else would Audric have taken it?), he walked towards the gates himself...and stepped out into the city.

His path was, at first, fairly aimless.  He was unfamiliar with this city and had only wanted to go for a walk by himself...until, that is, he overheard something rather alarming.

A voice, gruff and hard, was speaking, and it was answered by a quieter, more timid voice of a woman.  Peering into the open archway that led into a private garden, he frowned at the trio gathered there...and the body at their feet.

"I didn't know you were such the accomplished assassin," the man was saying to the woman.  He said something more, but the words were lost as he pressed his lips against the woman's throat.

The woman laughed quietly, as though she enjoyed his attentions.  "I thought we knew each other better than that."  From his position, Audric could clearly see her hand go between the man's legs.  He released a low, eager moan that changed pitch, suddenly, sounding more strangled.  "Now, back off, or I'll make sure you join them."

The man raised both hands and took a step back, making her grin look more catlike.  She nudged the body with her toe.  "Put on his uniform.  You'll look like any other guard in the Grand Duke's service."

"What about you?"

"I'll be stealing her clothes."  She gestured to the woman sitting on the other side of the couple, away from the body.  Looking more closely, Audric could see the woman was hog-tied.  "I'll be in the kitchens.  With this."  She produced a vial from her sleeve.  "If the poison fails, we'll kill the Grand Duke and that pretty little wife of his with our bare hands."

The pair chuckled, and then he gestured to the girl.  "And why has she lived long enough to hear our plan?"

"I thought we'd have a little fun with her.  Wouldn't want blood on her clothes, would we?  Just be sure to be careful removing them."

The man's grin widened to match the woman's, and the pair advanced on the woman as one.

Well, Audric thought, there were so many reasons to get involved here...if only he had a weapon.  The best he could do was a fallen branch...

The woman was ungagged and unbound, but she had little chance to fight the pair.  To her credit, however, she was struggling and screaming loud enough to wake the dead...and that gave Audric the chance to get close enough to swing the stick down over the man's back.

The stick snapped in half...and the man turned with a blink, as though Audric had flung a flower at him instead.  "Now, what's this?  A hero?"

"Oh," the woman purred as she straightened.  She made a gesture with her hand, and suddenly Audric found himself flung backwards and pinned against a wall by an invisible force!  The next thing he felt was a blade pressed to his family jewels in a light caress that was terrifying.  "It looks like I'll have a little fun too..."

The girl screamed even louder, now, while the man began to slide the dress from her shoulders.  "I'll give you a better use for that mouth in a minute, girl..."

visualspice

The Grand Duke's Wedding, an overly posh occasion that only fueled Leif's distaste for his own kind. And as usual, he made himself sparse at night, so when the party was well over, he slipped away and dawned on his more shadowed persona.

Now fitted in his tight fitting, leather armor and mask, he was slicking back his hair in oils when something caught his ear. He hadn't thought many would stick around this location for long much after the events, but keeping to the shadows; Leif Arrant had heard enough to know he ought to intervene; though the first thing the 'mage' might notice is his powers suddenly... ceasing; and in the shadows, Leif's dark green eyes pierced out like a wild animals as the man was cursing upa storm.

"Is there a mordecai nearby?"

"Shit, the guards- do you think they-"
That's when a fist met to the woman's face. Propriety or not, Leif could not classify that whore as a woman, so when his fist met to her face, it felt pretty satisfying. Then his gaze met to the man who had tried to use his magic to 'deter' the other hero- a man who Leif paid no mind to, as his green eyes remained locked upon the villians as he reached for his blade at his side.

"Shit, it's the Masked Mordecai!" And he turned tail to run.

Ivory

Propriety or not, it was damned satisfying to see the Masked Mordecai punch the woman.  For a moment, Audric weighed whether he should be ashamed of himself or not...but his thoughts were interrupted by the fleet-footed masked man finishing off the mage.

It was no less a disappointing performance than Audric had witnessed before.

When he was quite through with the man, and only then, did Audric step away from the wall.

"It seems my debt to you is mounting.  Pretty soon, I'll owe you the whole of Connlaoth, my friend."  Audric was joking...mostly.  "For my sake, we have to stop meeting like this.  I'm afraid you'll find me with a knife in my back next time."

visualspice

At the familiarity of the voice, Lief's head jerked up; and to see a man in another cloak (albeit,a  lot fancier); his eyes widened a moment in obvious recollection before his gaze narrowed as he snorted and smirked.

"Perhaps." Though he righted his shoulders and squared off his jaw, looking the man over. "I don't suppose you know if these two were conspiring with others?"

Ivory

"I thought that may have been the reason you kept the girl alive," Audric mentioned, reaching up to rub his chin beneath the shadow provided by the cloak.  He had mixed feelings about interrogating a woman, even one such as this...

Realizing, then, that the other girl had stopped screaming, Audric turned with his mouth already half-open -- only to find himself face-to-face with another corpse with an arrow in its neck.

"I'm thinking probably."

Another arrow landed less than two feet away, this time landing in the assassin's chest.

"Definitely."

Audric lifted his eyes to meet those of the masked man.  In spite of the obvious danger, he seemed almost...relaxed.  "We should go."

visualspice

The girl, Leif punched hard enough to render her unconscious, but before he could reply- both the girl and well, the other one, were most assuredly dead. His eyes then went to Audric who only casually suggested they leave and couldn't help but smirk.

"And here I thought you enjoyed these types of scenarios," he said, wrinkling his nos as his eyes flickered around. Where had the arrows come from? He wasn't about to go home until he sniffed out the hidden dog.
"Perhaps you ought to make that get away now. My night has only just begun.."