Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Justice Wears a Clever Disguise! (Spice!)

Started by Ivory, September 09, 2013, 06:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivory

"Well, one of us has to have a positive outlook on things!" Audric announced warmly.  He pulled the girl into a warm hug, then.  "And that's nonsense.  This isn't goodbye.  It's only farewell, until we see each other again."

Because goodbye was too sad!

"Now, Arrant and I have come up with a code.  If you ever need me -- or if he needs me, and he's being far too stubborn to admit to it -- write me.  Start the letter off with something about the Church in your first sentence, and I'll know it's in code.  Every third word -- that will be the message.  Alright?"

visualspice

It was at the mention of the church Attie faltered with her smile,but it returned soon enough as she nodded and turned to Leif.
"I'll be sure to take care of him." And she glanced back towards him, studying his face. "And what about you? Will you be alright?"

Leif rolled his eyes at that.
"He's the only one that came out unscathed..."

And even Attie had to smile at that, but she kept her warm gaze upon Audric, looking up at him and imploring him kindly to reply.
"At least let me knwo you won't be too lonely without us. THough I'm sure your wife and child will keep your spirits high." And seh squeezed his hand affectionately.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Audric chuckled.  "Yes, but there will be no adventure with you two.  And I'll miss my oldest child."  He shot Leif a broad grin; well, perhaps second oldest, because Calent was definitely a child too!  "You two will have to find the time to come visit.  Perhaps, Arrant could make an excuse during hunting season for a week or so?"

He glanced questioningly at the other man.

visualspice

"Hunting season?" Leif made a face. "Gods, I've befriended a man who's lost his mind." And as he was shaking his head, Attie only laughed.

"No wonder you two are friends. But perhaps we'll figure out something clever?" she said, giving Audric a playful grin.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

"I've no doubt," Audric answered her with a laugh.  "You seem to be the smart one of the family."

Spinning around to Leif, he pulled the other man into a hug as well, whether he liked it or not!  "Arrant, it's nice to finally meet you."  He grinned and pulled away, sticking out his hand as well for a friendly handshake.  "The real you."

visualspice

"I know," she told him pointedly, playfully raising her chin. "I should have known when I was presumed dead, my brother would find an excuse to get himself into trouble. Though... in all honesty, I owe you both so much. You have... no idea what it means that I was able to escape that horrible place. The things they've done to me.." she grimaced and stared at the floor.

All the while Leif was ruffle from the hug he had barely pried himself loose from. Staring down at Audric's hand, he gave it a shake and grin before turning to Attie and nodding at her heart felt words. He approached her and allowed himself to put a one armed hug around her-
though that hse took as an excuse to sneak a full hug from him- which he shook his head at, but obliged.

"Attie... I just can't believe our parents lied about you. But don't you worry, now that I knwo yo're alive. I'll keep you safe. I promise."

Ivory

"And I'll do anything to keep you safe as well," Audric put in helpfully, watching the pair with a vague smile.  The horses obviously felt left out, because one leaned over and snorted directly in Leif's hair, making Audric laugh out loud.

"Looks like the horses are eager to be off."

visualspice

Leif had to give a shake of his head to knock that peculiar feeling out from his ear.
"Gods.. yes, let's be off then." And then to Audric, he gave a nod befre opening the door to the carriage for his sister and the two siblings piled in. They would be on their way home, but who knew what sort of future was before them or what new dangers may lurk around the corner.
All Leif knew was that a major chapter in his life had just started, and he had to take careful, quiet steps towards the unknown future.

Ivory

Leif's letter had been most unexpected...and that was putting it mildly.  Weren't they supposed to be careful?  Weren't they supposed to keep meetings to a minimum -- especially in public?  What the hell was Leif doing?  He was practically rolling out the banner...

Not that Audric was terribly concerned about their friendship being uncovered...  Who would put it all together?  They hadn't been caught yet -- either of them -- and he doubted their friendship, while unusual, would be reason for anyone to suspect their hidden identities...

No, what worried him was how out of character this was for Leif.  It must be something urgent...

He hovered on the steps of his home, finally falling into a parade rest stance as the carriage pulled up.  His scouts had reported Leif's arrival in Allar the previous day, giving Audric a rather good idea of when to expect him.

And here he was, right on time...

visualspice

OOC: Sorry this took so long to reply to D: I'm gonna try to posty something now :T
-----

The letters had been such a nuisance to write, and while by now, Leif Arrant was fully recovered (or mostly so) from their last nightly rendez-vous, he was more haughty and impatient than usual. Things had been much different than before, though Duke Audric would have known- as it was public knowledge that both he and his wife had 'made up' at the Grand Duke's masked ball. And that was precisely part of the reason he was out here for a visit. Or rather, mostly so.

It was true that now, due to Leif conceiving a love life, he had more things to worry about, and in fat, his mind was racing faster than a horse, so as his carriage rolled up onto the property, he felt himself sweating as he wiped his hands off upon his pants before resigning himself to re-wearing his gloves. Though he'd prefer to go without them, he'd rather not have Audric suspect more than he ought to- for this was a matter of delicacy, and he had no idea where to turn, so when the front door opened for him long before he had made it down the path, he cast a scowl Audric's way before bowing before him when he finally reached the front door.

"I know it seems I've come at a most inconvenient hour, but believe me when I say I've got a lot to discuss with you."

Ivory

"There's no such thing between friends," Audric answered warmly, extending his hand out to the other man in welcome.  "Are you in a great hurry to talk, or can I offer you something to eat and drink after your journey?"

He glanced back towards the carriage, but there was no movement there.  It seemed Leif had left his sister at home...  That was a shame, really...

visualspice

Leif, glaring at the word-choice of 'friend' and Audric's cheery personality, he gave a scowl and shake of his head, pushing past his friend nad entering his house as he worked at removing the mud from his boots.

"I can't stay long, so let me be frank. You'll only have to deal with my company for the day. I leave in the morning. I have... left too much I have to attend to back at home."

Ivory

It was Leif's words more than his tone and glare that made Audric frown slightly.  Rather than pursue the line of questioning, he said only, "I see."

To his butler, who was, immediately, on hand to take Leif's cloak and luggage, Audric said, "Show Lord Arrant to my study."  He took a few steps down the hall, then turned to add cheerfully, still in motion, "I'll meet you upstairs!  Try not to get into any trouble between here and there!"

Leif would hardly be alone in the comfortable study more than five minutes.  Calent had taken most of his possessions (the study, of course, being his favorite room), leaving Audric to decorate it as his wife saw fit...and Nera, apparently, had only interjected enough to add a few womanly touches.  The study itself was comfortable, although the paperwork on the desk seemed a touch disorganized, perhaps.  A fire burned merrily in the fireplace, throwing heat into the room, although the room was lit brightly enough that the additional light seemed unnecessary.

Audric joined Leif a few moments later, trailed by one of the kitchen staff.  A pair of sandwiches was set down upon the table on a single plate, while the servant set the tea nearby.

"Will there be anything else, Duke Molneux?"

Audric gave his head a slight shake.  "Nope!  Thanks for the help!"  Once the servant left, he closed the door softly in the man's wake and gestured for Leif to take a seat.  "I had them nearly convinced to let me take the sandwiches and the tea, until the housekeeper started in about the mess I'd make if I dropped it..."  He gave his eyes a roll and his head a slight shake as he sank into his chair.  "If it were left up to them, you'd be waiting eight hours for them to make you something for dinner."

He leaned back in his chair, obviously leaving the food and drink to Leif.

visualspice

OOC: whoops, don't ask how I misread the last post XD this is why you don't multi-task and post (if you're me) it r be fail *goes to rewrite post*

----

Leif didn't bother to sit. This was a most serious moment with a lot of serious things to discuss. Yet here his masked companion was, smiling and offering him sandwiches. Never mind he preferred sandwiches over most roasts any day, that did not stop him from refraining to touch one, as his eyes went from the food and drink, to this 'friend'.

"I trust you've been well?" And Leif paused to glare over towards the door, hoping the staff wasn't lurking nearby as he bent over paranoidly to peer out through the keyhole.

Ivory

Audric stared at him a minute, then folded his arms and leaned back in his chair.  All he could see of Leif right now was his posterior.  What the hell was the man doing?

"You look ridiculous," he decided at last with a smirk as he helped himself to the tea.  "Most people sit down and eat what their host prepares, rather than...whatever it is you're doing.  It's little wonder people don't invite you out to visit."

It was a bit odd, even for Leif!

"And I've been well enough.  Tired, though.  My son has an ear infection, and he's been keeping us up at night."  He shot a grin in the other man's direction.  "You would have met him otherwise, but we're keeping him warm and away from drafts until the infection passes."

visualspice

At the mention of a child, Leif shot the man a glare, but it was a different sort of glare than Audric might be familiar. Though perhaps it was only in response to the other man's ignorance. Could he not see he was double checking the door!?

"I was making sure your servants were gone," he quipped, fluffing his coat, then smoothing it down. He kept his fixed gaze on his friend, and remained standing rigidly before him, not trusting standing by the door- just in case.

"I have news I'm not even sure how to explain, but I can't be here long and I might need your help." At such an idea, he shifted his weight uneasily before he sighed. "The church knows Attie's alive."

OOC: If you don't like the idea where this is going lemme know XD I was originally thinking someone might be onto them, but then last night I thought Attie being in trouble might make more sense since someone is investigating the scene. Even if they knew it might be the masked mordecai's doing, his sister is more important to him and they never left a trail or clue as to it being the nobles doing it but yeah XD
For now, I'm thinking Attie's safety and new baby are why he's upset so lemme know if that's not ok XD
Seriously changed my mind last night :T (when I should have been sleeping)

Ivory

Audric looked unimpressed at the explanation.  Really, to think of his servants would be so bold to listen at the door!  ...Or spies, for that matter!

His expression quickly shifted to something more serious, however.  He even sat up straight and turned slightly to give Leif his full attention.

"How?" he wondered, then gave his head a small shake.  "It doesn't matter.  What can I do to help?"

visualspice

"I've got my speculations, but some templars showed up at my parents house the other day. News trickled down to me, and a few days later, they show up at me door."

Setting his jaw, he lowered his gaze to the floor. "You can see my urgency.. I... didn't want to leave Attie alone for long, but I also didn't want to alert her. She... the less people know about her, the better. But I'm just afraid if these templars keep sniffing around, they'll come to find her sooner or later. I.. wasn't exactly the nicest of hosts when they were in my home."
Not that he would have been nice to them if Attie were actually dead; but that was of little consequence to him now.

"But I need your help. I have to find a place that's safe for her, but I'm not entirely sure what to do. I might be over reacting, she might be totally ok, but the only thing I can think of is to possibly find a place for her to stay up here in the North until the war blows over. So I came here to ask you, seeking a way for me to protect my sister. Do you... are there... any places you know of I can send her?" He knew he was asking a lot but... he didn't want to ask this in letters. No, no. This needed to he handled in person and he had to see this place for himself before shipping Attie off to some location where he'd have less access to her than he did now. But he knew the church was now watching his family, and it was only a matter of time before she might be found lwhile left in his care. And if Audric was friends witht he Grand Duke- there was no doubt no church going pansies would be sniffing his ass.

But it also brought out other notions.. like the church sniffing out his night time alter ego...
but for now, that was the least of his worries. Though perhaps that is something he and Audric ought to discuss while he was there.

Ivory

Audric did indeed understand, now, why Leif was acting so out of character.  He nodded slightly and leaned back in his chair to think.

There were any number of secluded places to send the girl -- but, of course, that would hardly do.  She was a sweet thing, and vibrant -- sending her away would destroy that.

"Does your sister like children?" he ventured after some thought.  "My sister is in need of a nanny.  I would offer her a place here, but if the wrong person were to visit and happened to recognize her..."  No, his home was much too public...and he could scarcely change his policies now without stirring up suspicions...

visualspice

"Children?!" Leif had just paused a moment to pick up.his drink in the middle of his pacing when the glass slipped fromhis fingers and smashed into the ground. His face filled with color. "What does children have to do with Attie?!"