Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Game of Cat and Mouse

Started by kleineklementine, December 15, 2013, 01:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kleineklementine

Olive didn't even watch him as Kentamin set about tending to the fire (though she thought it was rather brave, or foolish, of him to do it naked!). In fact, she made quite a point of glaring at the flames and ignoring him. She wished very much that she could just get up and walk away. Walk back out into the cold winter night to clear her head. But as her earlier efforts to stand had made clear, that wasn't an option for her.

So she'd just have to wait him out. Eventually he would have to give up and fall asleep, and then she could at least pretend to be alone.

visualspice

He didn't tend to the fire long in the nude, and eventually dressed himself after feeding the flames with sufficient amount of wood. He was numb to a lot of things in that moment, and while she pretended to be alone, he tried to figure out just what was going on in his life.

He tried to tell himself it was just a moment of weakness, a moment of survival-
but no matter which way he twisted it, something did not sit well-
and he kept thinking about her lips.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

kleineklementine

Olive continued to ignore Kentamin while he paced about the fire and finally dressed himself and retreated into his own thoughts. She stayed under the coat (his coat, as it happened, but she didn't dwell on this) naked and shivering a little, but stubbornly unmoving. When she eventually heard his breathing slow into the recognizable rhythm of sleep, Olive finally followed suit and carefully dressed herself, inspecting once again her damaged leg. It had gotten a bit banged up between her attempts to stand on it and her encounter with the templar and was showing signs of swelling again. Sighing at the great cost she'd already incurred because of the bloody ankle, she carefully and quietly scooted herself to the opening of the cave to collect fresh snow to pack on the injured appendage.

Then, as she was scooping the cold, frozen snow from the banks outside of the cave, she realized she wasn't alone. In the darkness outside, a pair of golden eyes were watching her intently. Olive's stomach leapt into her throat, but she didn't make a sound. The white-furred wolf was not bristling with aggression, but regarded her with curiosity and intention. In that moment, Olive wished desperately that she had the same power to speak with the wild things Silas had. But she did not, so she only returned the wolf's gaze. Though the moment felt frozen in time, the encounter could not have lasted for more than a few moments before, as silently as it had come, the white wolf loped away into the darkness. Olive watched the dark shadows for the forest where it had disappeared for several moments before letting out a long breath and packing the snow around her ankle.

She must have fallen asleep watching for the creature to return, because Olive awoke cold, stiff, and in pain near the entrance of the cave. Though by now it might be well into the morning, this far north the gray light of dawn was only just beginning to cast itself across the sky and it was still dark and lightly snowing outside. Olive blinked, still feeling thick with sleep, and wondered if it was the dim light or the shark crick in her neck that had woke her when she heard something echoing across the mountains. But it was distant and she couldn't quite make it out.

She pulled herself up stiffly into a sitting position, stretching the pain out of her neck when she heard it clearly:

"...Olive!... Olive!..."

Suddenly she was completely awake. It wasn't something it was someone. Someone looking for her! She said a silent blessing for the wolf then, without thinking, she leapt to her feet.

...and just as quickly, her injured ankle giving out from under her, came crashing down in a loud thud-splat on the cave floor.

visualspice

The unceremonious crashing of his partner in crime (well, sort of, at least for hte time being, perhaps more like his partner against her will, but a partner none the less...)-  it forced him awake with a start, his gloved hand grasping his weapon as his heart was suddenly hammering with his chest.

Spotting Olive on the ground, he released a breath and put the weapon away, and groggily climbed over to her side.

"You shouldn't be moving on it. It's still tender," he scolded, and moved to offer her some help so she could sit down again, like she should be doing. It was only then he noticed the fire was getting low and he sighed.
"I'll go feed the fire."
And he moved to leave her side turning towards the entrance of the cave when something caught his ear as he paused in midstride.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

kleineklementine

Olive was already scrambling back up, unfazed by the fall (at least for now), by the time Kentamin woke and came to help her up. But she ignored him, shrugging him off and using a crag in the wall of the cave to pull herself back up, shakily to her feet. Or foot, rather. She hobbled past Kentamin, hopping and holding onto the cave ledge, until she was just outside the cave.

"Here!" she yelled back into the valley. "I'm here!"

Olive took another hop out of the cave, blinking back the dim sun and snow. She fell back against the rim of the cave, but still standing calve deep in snow. Her eyes scanned the valley, but she couldn't see anyone yet. With the steep mountain walls of the valley, the calls could be echoing from who knew how far away. With her heart thumping but her wits a bit more about her now, she let out a long, low three-part whistle that anyone from the Alliance would recognize as a call to say, 'I'm here. I need help.'

For the moment, Kentamin was completely forgotten.

visualspice

"Hey, what are you doing?!" Kentamin growled. "You're injured! You could make it worse!"
But as soon as he realized she was calling for help, he froze beside her, too stunned to move. Was she calling for help to get away from him? Or was there actually another person she had heard or seen in the valley?

kleineklementine

"Shut up," Olive snapped at the growling templar, "can't you hear that?"

Still faint in the distance in the valley, the voices could just be heard echoing off the walls of the steep valley sides. "...Olive?! .... Olive!..."

She responded with another long, low whistle that carried across the silent, snow-filled scenery. With all the echoing, though, Olive knew it would be hard to follow the sound of her voice or of the whistle. She remembered the wolf, wondered if the searcher out there was Silas, and what or who might be guiding him. But she still felt she ought to do something more to draw them here. For the first time, after all, she wasn't so afraid she was going to die here.

"Hey," she said to Kentamin, less snappy now, "can you get something that will smoke, and bring it out here?"

While asking for the boy's help, Olive had yet to think about what would happen when her compatriots arrived and found the templar.

visualspice

At the sound of someone's voice, Kentamin froze. There was definitely someone out there- and while Constance didn't seem to think about the future of her companion, he certainly was. The fact this stranger who was calling to them knew this mage didn't bode well for who's side of hte war they were on. So when Constance ordered him to get something to create a signal fire from, the templar didn't dare move.

ANd instead he asked, "Who's out there, Constance?" And he set a stern gaze upon her. There was no way he was about to set himself up for certain death.

kleineklementine

At first Constance's attention didn't waver from searching the distance for approaching figures. For help. Then, several seconds after he'd spoken, she seemed to hear Kentamin's words. Her head and attention snapped over to him and at first her expression was impatient and annoyed. "Help, that's who! What, you don't want it?" she bit, and nearly laid into him for hesitating on setting up a smoke signal, but she stopped.

Her eyes searched his expression, reading his unmasked concern there, and her countenance softened. Somehow, his sudden potential vulnerability made her feel a new wave of... well, not affection, but... What was it? Her posture relaxed, and she reached out to hold his face. Unconcerned, it seemed, that he had rejected her intimacy the night before. And, to her surprise and with no idea why, she kissed him. It wasn't tender, nor was it as rough and hot as how he had kissed her the previous night. It was, if anything, sudden.

"Come on," she said when she pulled away, her face still close to his, the hostility gone from her voice, "this is our chance to get out of here."

visualspice

Despite the kiss, despite the chance at freedom from this, Kentamin turned his face away from hers, averting her gaze.
"Those men are part of the mage resistance, aren't they?" he asked, not even daring to look at her until his words were through. "You'd kiss me now while hoping to lead me to my death."
ANd with a bitter look, he pushed away from her and moved back into the cave, using his boots and the snow to snuff their current fire out- or what little flames were left.

kleineklementine

If Olive could have followed him, she would have punched Kentamin in the face. That option being closed to her, she grabbed a handful of snow and threw it hard at the templar.

"That's not fair!" she bit at him, surprised at her own anger. She shouldn't care what the priest thought, one way or the other. "I'm part of the mage resistance. You've kept me alive, and I know that. I've kept you alive. What do you think I am? What, now you think I'm just some opportunistic murderer, without any honor at all?"

Olive glared balefully at him. Then, in what she knew was a low shot, asked, "Or are you only willing to play nice as long as you have a chance to fuck me?"

visualspice

The snow ball hit him hard on the back of the head, and made him freeze. Then her words came, but they reached his ears slowly as his rage began to simmer beneath his skin. Turning towards her, his blue eyes cut through her like an icy rage.

"It was a mistake," he hissed. "A moment of weakness and I shall not die here." And he went back to stomping out the simpering flames and smoke.

kleineklementine

Olive's anger flared up and she wished bitterly that he were close enough to hit. Instead, she threw another snowball, hard not playful at him, glaring daggers.

"What, you'd rather die tomorrow? In a week? You're only going to delay them finding us, you know, not stop them. Then what are you going to do? Hold me hostage? Bury your axe in my skull if they look at you the wrong way, then fight your way out into the blizzard? If you can. Is that your idea of honor?"

visualspice

The snowball hit him square in the face, and it hit him as if it were a rock. As the pieces crumpled away, he stood there, glaring at her as the rest of the snowball's residue fell away. And he bared his teeth, much like a angered dog.

"I had no plans of that," he hissed. "Both options you give me are suicide, and if I were to take my chances on the snow or your friends, I'd choose the snow."
He'd have better luck with it! Snow can't stab you in the back... or so he thought. And he was no fool. He knew this relationship was only temporary.

But now that they had a possible way out...
How could he refuse?

But it was the route of more mages..
TRUSTING more mages, ad he felt himself inwardly panic at the idea.

kleineklementine

"Fine."

Olive leaned against the rock of the cave, arms crossed, eyes glaring daggers.

"Leave then."

visualspice

For the longest time, Kentamin simply glared at her before finally asking her, with some snappy, hesitation.
"What? You expect me to leave?"

kleineklementine

"You said you'd rather face the snow and the wilderness than come face to face with any more mages," she said simply, though there was still an angry grit in her voice. "Then go. Face the snow. I'm obviously not going anywhere," she said with a gesture down to her broken, blue, splinted ankle. This whole thing was rankling her more than it ought to. Maybe that she had, for a small window of time, let herself think of this whiny priest as human at all. That she'd actually opened up to him. And for what? "If you don't want to be here when they find this place, you better go."

visualspice

Kentamin grit his teeth. He was inwardly seething at her and wanted nothing more to do than charge out of there. But even he wasn't a fool. Prideful, but not a complete fool.
"You want me to just leave you here? As much as I hate it, I still owe you something."
Something.. but what?
"And if those men do not come..."
If he left, he'd be sealing her fate to die here- alone. And the idea of dying alone suddenly terrified him beyond all else.

That is not how he envisioned his life. He had much grander dreams than this.

kleineklementine

"If they don't come and you leave, then what?" Olive asked, her gaze. Still hard but her tone just a little softer. A little. "You don't owe me anything. If they don't come, I can face whatever lies ahead for me. And what do you care what end a mage comes to? It's just one less of us."

visualspice

Kentamin bit his lip. She was right. What did he care about one mage? Especially when more might replace her... More he'd have to fight when he got home. If they got home. His mind raced and whirled and twisted and gnarled into itself, until it was too painful and too confusing. And...
against his better judgement, he knew she was right. Right about seeking the help. And right about him not needing (or rather, shouldn't) care. But instead of answering her, he growled and moved to work at hefting up some of the charred wood, then began to take it outside, building a pit in a place he kicked open of snow.

Damn this. Damn this all!