Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Game of Cat and Mouse

Started by kleineklementine, December 15, 2013, 01:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kleineklementine

Olive didn't continue goading him. She just watched, trying not to glare, as he built the smoky fire outside of the cave. And she didn't speak with him again while they waited. She didn't even return to the cave, despite the cold biting at her skin. The silence between the two seemed gaping as they waited. The only sound that broke it was the periodic whistle Olive gave to guide their hopefully rescuers.

It took a few hours, but eventually three figures appeared on the edge of the forest. Two horses riders, and a third, riderless horse. Olive's heart leapt. Wait. Olive looked again. It was four figures. The two riders, the horse, and a white wolf. The same one? Silently, she blessed it, either way. The riderless horse, Olive saw as they drew nearer, was Kentamin's and it followed nearby the taller rider without lead or rope.

The riders sighted the cave and, with a nod from the taller one, the wolf loped away, disappearing into the forest. It didn't take long for the riders to reach the cave from the forest's edge. They were both men, by their looks both in the mid- to late thirties. One was tall for a Connlaothian, and somewhat gaunt, with graying blonde hair and bright, blue-gray eyes. The other was of more typical Connlaothian build, with brown hair and eyes, and a more fiery countenance.

Once they were near the first man, Silas Greene, dismounted and in one motion pulled Olive into his arms. "Thank God," he muttered. "We feared the worst."

The second man, Roderick Alder, was off his horse only half a moment after Silas. But his attention wasn't on Olive. The click of him cocking his handcannon, which was already aimed at Kentamin. "Great to see you in one piece, Olive. Who's your friend?"

visualspice

Kentamin remained quiet, as chilly and vacant sounding as the wind. The calls back and forth might as well have been the wolves' howling and when he saw the white wolf, he tensed only slightly. It was only appropriate such an animal was with mages, and he knew the sight of these men were only Angsar's way to punish him. So why delay? He had slept with a mage.. helped her when he should have left her to rot....

But even as he tried to tell himself that, it felt so hollow, and mixed sickeningly with the feeling of fear. So when the men appeared before them, his blue eyes went dull like the icy landscape, and he did not flinch when the gun was pointed at his face.

"Dhelsbar," he told them. "Kentamin Dhelsbar." And he paused before adding, "Templar in Training for the Order of Saint Agratha."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

kleineklementine

The air became electric and both men simultaneously tensed. A templar? Here? Alive and holed up with Olive? A mix of concern and mild confusion passed on Silas's face, silencing his inquiry about Olive's leg, and his blue-gray eyes turned to the young man. Roderick, however, only hardened. The hand cannon did not move.

Olive bit her lip. Conflict bubbling in her. But she turned towards Roderick, her voice low and serious. "He kept me alive," she said.

"Well, I'm very happy about that," Roderic responded, neither his eyes nor his gun wavering from, "but how many has he killed? And how many have died because of him and his 'order?'"

"Roderick, I-" Olive started, but she was cut off. Silas's hand tightened on her shoulder.

"No," Roderick said sharply. "I don't want you to convince me not to kill him, Olive. I want him to convince me." His eyes narrowed and the hatred and anger was clear, barely contained, on his face. "So you, 'Kentamin Dhelsbar, Templar in Training for the Order of Saint Agratha,'" he essentially spit the words, "I'm Roderick Alder, former father of twins who were taken by your Church. So tell me, why do you deserve to live?"

visualspice

Kentamin's face remained placid, despite the emotions brewing within like a storm. But he kept his cool, and simply replied, "I want to survive the elements just as much as you. But I won't deny if you keep me alive, I won't have to hunt you again. But when the situation became dire, your associate and I have made a verbal treaty of sorts, but though you are not her, I would not hold you to her code of honor."

ANd if the man was going to shoot him, he'd better get it over with soon. Because the fear that was gripping him on the inside was intense, and he wasn't sure how long he could keep up this front and look brave.

He was not going to be killed crying or whining like a girl. If this was his end- so be it. He had at least gone out on his terms, and it would not be the storms and ice that took him.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

kleineklementine

"No, no, no," Roderick shook his head. "You haven't answered my question. I'm asking why you, Kentamin Dhelsbar, deserve to live. Any agreement you might have come into with Olive doesn't trump the hundreds or thousands your 'order' have brought misery upon. And I'm not going to wait for your answer forever."

visualspice

Kentamin hardened his gaze, and tried desperately to keep his head level.

"Because I am a man like any other who wishes to prove his worth before his own God. I live to serve him, and only him. And I am merely following my calling, and his will." And here, the templar closed his eyes. "And if I am to die here, then so be it. But my life is not in your hands." ANd here he opened his gaze. "For I am but a servant of Angsar, and if he believes I am worthy to live, then you will not shoot me here."

And he could only hope that he would not, because, despite trying to sound brave and to try to use his God as his sense of justice and his shield, he was beyond scared and feared the pain and agony of death-
and the unlived life.

kleineklementine

Whether or not he realized it, Kentamin was about to get his head blown off.

Olive realized it. And as she watched, a conflicting stew of emotions boiled in her stomach. She didn't, despite herself, want to see Kentamin die. Not here, anyway. Despite... everything. And she knew that neither Roderick nor Silas, both of whom she was sure had a solid moral compass, would spare him now. So it was up to her. What did that say about her?

"Wait!" Olive lurched forward towards Roderick and Kentamin and promptly and obviously fell on her injured ankle. Silas caught her, but it was enough to buy a little time for Kentamin.

"Wait," she repeated, breath heavy from the fall, her eyes first pleadingly on Roderick, before they turned to Kentamin. Surprising at least the two new arrivals, and a little bit herself, she told Kentamin, "Come with us. I don't think you know what you're fighting for. Come with us and hear our stories. See our scars." And with those words, Olive remembered with a leaden feeling what happened the last time she'd tried to protect a templar. How she'd gotten those scars Kentamin had asked about. "Come with us. And see if you really think the battle you've fought so far is in service of Angsar."

visualspice

Kentamin was stunned, and it shown on his face. He stared at Olive for a time, then back at the gun.
"Go with you?" It was almost spoken with disgust, but the fear was evident in his tone, and his ability not to piss himself was waning. He knew she was going out on a limb here to save him, but he also knew choosing the path she offered him would eat him alive, from the inside out. And not to mention...
He still had a very, very grave fear of mages.

kleineklementine

"Olive..."

A thick silence fell between the rebels, tense in the air, with Olive's offer to Kentamin. It was Silas whose grave voice finally broke it, his bluegray eyes firmly on the broken girl he'd caught in his arms. Even Roderick had glanced over at Olive in surprise, but only for half a second, before returning steelily to Kentamin.

"He can't come with us, Olive," Silas said, his voice sympathetic but firm. He had the calm, unassuming, and level-headed air of a natural leader about him. The sort that would never put himself in a position of power, but who people naturally listened to. Trusted.

No one responded. Both Olive and Roderick had their eyes fixed on Kentamin.

"But we won't kill him here, either," Silas continued, his voice more firm than sympathetic now. Though he sounded decided, he didn't sound very happy about it. "We won't kill him alone and unarmed, when Olive owes him her life, as she says."

Olive stared at Kentamin as if trying to communicate something. An apology? A plea for him to volunteer himself to their side? To protest that he would come with them? Or a realization of what he was: a threat and an enemy. Most likely, it was a combination of them all. Olive wasn't sure herself. But she wanted him to understand... something. Something to explain why she didn't argue with Silas now.

"Come on. Let's go. Olive, if you can't ride alone," he nodded to the riderless horse, Kentamin's, "you can ride with me. The other horse will follow us."

visualspice

Kentamin shifted uneasily, peering at the group and still hesitant over his fate. Now that the topic moved to Olive and getting her a horse, he peered over at the remaining, empty horse- whihc he noticed was his horse by the army and church's emblems. And not sure what they aimed to do with him, he figure don approaching his own property, not thinking they'd leave him behind or-
leave him to walk in their caravan- even though his fate had not been outwardly discussed.

kleineklementine

Perhaps to Kentamin's surprise, his horse whinnied, stamping its feet and backing away from Kentamin as he tried to approach. Silas was already helping a shaken, pained-looking Olive onto his horse, but Roderick's eyes hadn't left the Templar for a moment. Neither had his handcannon's sights.

"Oh no you don't," he warned, "just because Olive can't ride him doesn't mean he isn't coming with us. We need horses and you have two working legs."

The horse stamped its feet again, whinnied and shook its mane. Olive was on the other horse now, wincing and pulling at her injured leg. For the moment distracted by the pain shooting through it. But Silas looked at the horse, his blue gray eyes giving it the sort of attention one only gives to a conversation partner. When the horse was done, Silas gave a small, humored, 'hm.'

"Phileaus says he never really liked you, anyway," Silas told Kentamin, a hint of amusement in his voice. "You should be gentler with your next horse and he may serve you better."

visualspice

Kentamin's face contorted at such words. Did they aim for him to follow and walk? And who was Phileaus? He had no idea his horse even had a name...

"So am I simply walk then?" he nearly spat, but his anger was still trumped by fear, and the fact the hand cannon was still pointed at his face. "Or are you just going to shoot me as you all ride away?"
Because that's sort of what it was looking like....
Shit.

He knew he shouldn't have helped her-
Angsar was really punishing him now. And to think- he had made love to that girl.
Wretched, indecent, tramp!

kleineklementine

Olive stared at Kentamin. She was wondering if she was taking the easy way out. Letting Silas and Roderick dictate the Templar's fate. Or, at least his temporary fate. Uncertainty turned over in her stomach. Should she be arguing more for him? To let him take the horse? (Against the horse's will, apparently). They could at least take him out of the valley and leave him there. He had aided her, whatever his reasons were - Olive still wasn't sure she knew - and she had spoken as though they would get out of this together.

But then his spitting retort, laden heavy with his bratty whining, lashed out at them. Olive looked at him again, and whoever the actual, human being she had seen in him the previous night had been, that person was gone now. Replaced by the same pathetic, entitled Templar she had been chasing this whole time. For half a second, she considered taking Roderick's gun herself and ending this all right here. But that's what he would expect. And, almost above all else, Olive wanted to be better than him. Better than the whole lot of them. The betrayal of Mercuxio turned acid in her stomach again. No. She wouldn't defend the Templar. Let him freeze here if he was too proud to walk.

"Don't tempt me, Templar," Roderick told Kentamin as he mounted his horse in response to the younger man's whining. Roderick snorted, then turned his horse and began to trot away.

Silas was mounted behind Olive and he gave her shoulder one squeeze before following Roderick. Phileaus, formerly Kentamin's horse, also followed without being led by the mages. He had, apparently, defected from the Templar's side in this war.

Olive turned her head to look back at Kentamin as they rode away, her green eyes searching for his. Thinking what? She didn't know. She wanted to say something more to Kentamin, even as he disappeared in the distance. But no words came to her and then Kentamin was gone. And the temporary, fragile, peaceful agreement they'd forged dissipated with the snow on the wind.