Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

'Dekka'-dence and Excess (M)

Started by visualspice, February 01, 2014, 10:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

The Grand Ball had gone off without a hitch. It was absolutely perfect and all of the dukes, lords and ladies were talking about it from the capital all the way to the sea. Though there were a select few who had come out of the ball with more frowns than anything, and Valia Coleridge, sister to the Grand Duchess, was just one such victim.

She and her husband had been on less than good terms as of lately- or rather, ever since she had had her baby- and she could feel it herself that their marriage was on it's last legs. And she was genuinely afraid of it. They had tried to talk at the ball, but nothing seemed to work and Valia had since refused to go home.

So she had been living at her sister's palace for a few months, remaining quiet and keeping to herself, but growing depressed and not eating. But she wanted to talk- she just had no idea what to say. And when her nad her sister tried to get close, it seemed something would come up and Valia was left waiting.

Well, she had waited long enough, and the moment she heard the news the Grand Duke had to attend something in the North, she practically was throwing herself at her sister the moment Grand Duke Allarrick's carriage was out of sight. She was holding Kathryn's dress sleeves now and peering up ito her eyes, when suddenly her pink eyes filled with tears as she choked on her own breath.

"Oh, Kathryn! How we need to talk! We need to talk and about much!"

And little did she know another such person was approaching the palace as they spoke-f or his ears were sharp and his intentions focused on but one thing-
Dekka Blade was going to get a private meeting with the Grand Duchess- and for all he knew, this meeting could be their last.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Kathryn had made a few half-hearted attempts to talk to her sister -- but, for the most part, she had simply tried to be a gracious host.  She didn't know what the trouble was between her sister and Gabriel Coleridge, but the very least she could do is try to be supportive.

Of her sister, that is.

But after her sister saying so little for so long, she felt almost ambushed -- but, after a moment of surprise, her expression melted into a sympathetic look as she sank down onto the bed and patted the mattress beside her.  "Of course we do, Valia..."

visualspice

"Everything in my life that can go wrong, has! My husband is upset with me, I have a child I do not know if I love, and I'm afraid to bed my husband in fear of a second one. Kathryn I.. I just don't know what to do! Once there had been passion, maybe love, now has died away and I have no idea what to make of it. How can I explain to my husband, the poor, beautiful man, that his wife is afraid of him? I just... Iknow my job is to give him children and I... I had adored all the sex we had once shared but now? Now we only fight and I haven't the gall to tell him why I am so upset. I just.. I can't take this any more! I wish I could love him, but is it selfish of me to be so afraid? I miss his touhc, Kathryn. To be close, but I'm afraid of the consequence. I.. I had almost died giving birth to that child and everytime I look at it all I see is some monster that could have killed me!"
And Valia's face was a mess, red and upset as tears streamed down her face.
"Oh.. Kathryn, is it so wrong of me to be afraid? And how... how can I even confront my husband on this? I... I don't know hat to do but I fear our marriage is ending and i.." she hesitated. "I do not know if I could live with myself if it were to end."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Kathryn looked slightly taken aback by the sudden confession -- or, perhaps, her reaction was only because of her own personal experiences as a wife and a mother embittered her to Valia's plight...  Whatever the case, her expression soon became sympathetic, and she pulled her younger sister into a hug.

"Valia, there's nothing to be ashamed of.  But Gabriel loves you, I think.  The way he looks at you..."  There had been a time when she had tortured herself, agonizingly memorizing every stolen glance, smile and touch...and wondering why her own husband was so very different.  What followed was every emotion from self-pity to blaming her own shortcomings to loathing her husband...and, finally, a cool, protective level of disdainful self-involvement that had made her utterly ignorant to the problems the Coleridges were experiencing...  She felt guilty for that.  Even if she and Valia had not been close for many years, she still felt as though she should have known.  "He's a good man.  I think, if you told him..."

Well, he would surely understand...

Pulling back from her sister, she reached for a handkerchief and dab gently at the younger woman's cheeks.  "And, anyway, there are...things...you could try.  At least, that's what I've heard."

visualspice

Valia looked up into her sister's gaze and sniffled.
"Things?" She sat up more so and peered at her questionably. "What do you mean?" And then she furrowed her brow, pouting as her lips trembled. "And how do I explain this to my husband? It's miserable and embarrassing... After all, how do you tell a man you do not want to bear his children?"

Ivory

Kathryn nodded, a light flushing touching her cheeks.  Yes, she had heard of such things...  But she was a duchess, not a whore, and so she could not give very many details...

"Well, I would start by not phrasing it that way," she said carefully.  "Tell him what you told me.  That you're afraid.  Tell him what you told me."

Surely, no one who loved a woman as much as Gabriel Coleridge loved his wife could hold that against her...

visualspice

"What?" At the very idea Valia looked HORRIFIED. "But I .. I can't.. you don't understand, he.. he'd think less of me!" she said, taking her sister's hand and gripping it. "I... we... the things we've done! And to tell him I'm afraid of it now? Surely who could believe me?"

But if anyone.. she began to realize, as she said it.. surely it was her husband. So unconditionally he stayed at her side, but she- she just couldn't comprehend it in all of her selfishness why anyone would be that way.

"Oh, Kathryn!" she said with a sob and threw her arms around her. "I Just don't understand how tod! What if my marriage ends? I'll be a mockery! I'd have to leave this country! No one could live with such disgrace!"

Ivory

Kathryn looked a bit dubious at her sister's dramatics.  "Your marriage is only going to end, if you let it end, Valia.  God knows why you're hiding here when you should be talking to your husband about all this..."

Rather than Kathryn...

"You've already given him a healthy son.  An heir.  You've done your duty, and he'll see that."

Or so Kathryn imagined...

visualspice

"Yes but I don't even know if I love my child! He's so weird and oddly shaped and he cries and won't stop bothering me and he makes me cry and it's awful, Kathryn! Simply awful! Oh, but there I said it! ANd that must make me horrible! Surely Gabriel won't love me after that. Ansgar's name..  I just am so afraid of so many things and I've never been this afraid of.. well, anything Kathryn!"

Ivory

"That's what children do, Valia.  It's just a stage.  It will pass."  Kathryn squeezed her sister's hand, intending for it to be a gentle, comforting squeeze, but squeezing just a little too hard as her thoughts went to her own baby...

Rather than share her grief, however, she rose and turned away from her sister.  She was making a show of pouring out a glass of water for her sister, but, really, she just needed to step away from the topic a moment...  It was a subject she had never been able to talk about with anyone...not even when she wanted to.  And, now that so much time had passed, the topic still brought so much pain, like a wound that had never healed properly...

"Valia, I know you're upset, but you need to talk to your husband about this.  I'm just...not the one to be giving out advice about..."  She frowned down into the clear water inside the pitcher.  "...Anything domestic, really."

visualspice

"Oh, but you don't understand, Kathryn. You don't have any kids of your own!" Valia went on, completely and utterly ignorant to her own sister's woes. Those things had gone int he years they were apart, and she had missed so much about her sister's life and yet, remained ignorant because of her own jealousy and her own life woes.

Kathryn was the Grand Duchess!
Kathryn had an exciting love life!
Kathryn was perfect.

Though as Valia went on lamenting, another figure loomed in the shadows just outside the window, hanging out there like a spider and the moment he caught her location he grinned, but said nothing, and simply watched.

Ivory

Valia would not see the way Kathryn's expression hardened with her statement -- the icy glint in her eyes or the thin line of her lips as she glared at the water pitcher.  Valia also probably would not notice the way her body tensed and began to coil slightly, like a snake about to strike its prey.  If it had been anyone but Valia, Angsar alone knew how unfriendly or violent her reaction might have been...

But, it was Valia...and Kathryn was just as guilty as everyone else in spoiling the girl...

It felt like a long battle, a struggle against the anger that threatened to overcome her, but, really, only a moment had passed.  And, still, Valia was prattling away behind her...  She didn't even see the shadow upon the wall; instead, without a word, she let her sister carry on, and she bowed her head with her eyes closed as she tried to rebottle all of that pain her sister had, unintentionally, let loose...

After several moments, she said, sounding tired, "Maybe you should be talking to Mother about this..."

visualspice

"Mother? But haven't you heard? She's taken ill. Besides, she's never been that close to us. Not how we are Kathryn." And she frowned and hesitated before adding. "How we were... You know, we haven't been able to see much of one another since your... your wedding. Though I suppose that's not all your fault."

Ivory

"That's very kind of you," Kathryn murmured, although in a way that seemed to suggest just the opposite as she finally turned back towards her younger sister.  "But I don't know what else I can tell you.  If you won't take any suggestions from me, you obviously need to talk to...somebody else who can help you."

Anybody else.  Please, God, somebody take her sister away before she killed her...

"That person just...obviously isn't me."

visualspice

"Well maybe she just needs a man she can talk to?" Dekka said as he slunk in through the window, causing Valia's breath to hitch inside her throat. He took a few steps, then paused and peered down. "Hello, Kathryn." And not to ignore her, his green eyes went to her sister. "And Lady Valia." And he gave a partial bow to her.
"And I make my suggestion not in too bad of taste, but I'm sure your husband would only agree with your sister..."

Valia's lips went tight as she looked at him, but then she turned to her sister, saying not a word.

"Maybe it's time you talked to him? And what better time than now?"

Ivory

Kathryn's initial reaction was not very dissimilar from her sister's...and, although she should have been furious her former lover was barging into her room -- especially after their little argument at the ball -- she felt a sweeping sense of relief, more than anything else...

And Valia didn't need to know the details of Kathryn's relationship with Dekka...  That was a whole different bottle of pain and frustration...

And, so, she only nodded ever-so-slightly.  "Talk to him," she advised again, as though Dekka breaking into her room to add his two cents was entirely normal...

visualspice

Valia gaped, uncertain what to say as she stared at the pair. When thoughts did return to her lips she stuttered.
"But I'm here." she pressed firmly, like when she was a child. "Visiting with my sister."

Dekka only casually responded.
"Aren't we all?"

Valia grew pink faced and turned to her sister.
"I.. I couldn't possibly leave now to see him. E.. e.. especially since, well.. well..." and she realized, she had no good reason about it, but her eyes burned with tears none the less!

Ivory

It was, in fact, quite amazing how quickly she was warming up to him again...

That was dangerous territory.

"Write him a letter.  Ask him to come see you here.  But, I promise you, Valia, he loves you.  And he'll understand why you're so afraid."  Putting on a smile, she used a fingertip to brush away a tear.  "You're going to be fine, Valia.  And you and Gabriel will go back to being as happy as you ever were."

visualspice

Valia, not certain she believed her sister, or even what this thief said, choked on a sob and shook her head before turning tail and rushing out of the room. Dekka only smirked at Valia's fleeting form.

"So glad you and your sister are nothing alike," he commented, well after she left.

Ivory

Kathryn frowned after her sister.  Part of her was relieved for a moment's respite, and she immediately felt guilty for the thought.  Instead of rushing after her, however, there was a different problem she now needed to deal with...

She closed the door behind Valia, then turned to face Dekka with a frown made even deeper by his observation.  "We're more alike than you'd think."

Still leaning against the door, she looked over the man before her, grateful for the help in dealing with her distraught sister but wary, nonetheless.

"I didn't think I'd ever see you again."  Again.