Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

She Was Maid For This

Started by visualspice, February 28, 2014, 07:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

Lillian stepped from her little side-room and moved to the door, opening it to peer at the returned maid cautiously before pulling the door open wide and stepping to the side, allowing admittance to the small floor. "Set them anywhere. Lady Harmond may go through them at her leisure."

The door would be immediately closed and locked behind the woman, of course. Everything had to be completely secure up here. Both to keep people out and to keep them in. The three women would only really have each other for company much of the time. Lillian sighed irritably. This was going to be a pretty awful assignment. Not least of all because guilt nagged at her mercilessly. She was imprisoning a perfectly sweet and innocent person because she had been told to. What a joke.

"I would make yourself as comfortable as possible. I'm afraid you've been given a rather boring and restrictive post Miss Barawa."

visualspice

Before Kylo had returned, Kella had curled herself up in the corner, had taken to a moment of prayer before finding herself drifting off to a silent slumber. Even when the door opened and Kylo returned, Lady Harmond had not stirred. She had been exhausted, perhaps too much so, and had no idea how much she needed sleep until it became her, and though she seemed to be sleeping peacefully, internally, she was writhing in her own nightmares of what was to come.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Winters-Feather

Siana nodded cheerfully at Lillian's advice, though inwardly, she groaned. She was going to have to figure out how to do her exercises in secret. To be trapped like a bird was NOT the spider's style.
"Well, we'll make do," Siana said. "Perhaps we three could play cards, though it is only fair to warn you, my lady, that few have bested me."
She couldn't help but to boast.  At the sight of her temporary mistress, fast asleep, Siana silently placed the books by a bedside table before creeping out of the room after Lillian.
"I think Lady Kella has the right idea," Siana mused. "Forgive me, but I was not told where my sleeping quarters would be."
And there better be no fleas.

Zero

Lillian grinned at the idea of playing cards with someone that boasted they tended to win. She wondered what kind of card games the maid would know. Probably some good ones. Cyrus had taught her some of the games they played in low-end taverns. Gabriel and her father had scolded him for teaching her low-born games, but she had always liked learning from her "scoundrel" half-brother.

"Maybe we will test that later." She said idly before waving at the small room to the side. "I'll have a couple cots set up for us. The luxury of a real bed is for the Lady Harmond, for now." After years of sleeping on the bunks in the barracks she really couldn't say it mattered much. Not that she wouldn't love a real bed, but you took what you could get.

Winters-Feather

Siana smile at the prospect of a challenge.
"I think you would be a most interesting match. I look forward to it," she said.
Siana nodded at the prospect of the cot. She would have to find some place to do her make up to hide her face tattoos when Lillian was asleep.  The waterproof paste for her face was strong stuff and could outlast the rain or snow, but needed to be reapplied at least once or twice a day. On her lips, Siana used a subtle lipstick. There was enough for three weeks if she rationed, though Siana planned to be gone long before that. 

In any case, a cot sounded perfect, especially after as harsh a journey as she had made. Beds of any sort were a luxury for her kind, anyway. They were almost too soft for her back.

"Would you require help with getting undressed, Lady  Coleridge?" she asked, the ever dutiful maid.

Zero

"Would I require help? No, I would say not. Perhaps if you had asked me some five years ago I might have needed a maid simply to dress or undress, but they don't exactly coddle us in the barracks, Miss Barawa." Lillian replied with a soft, short laugh. She doubted many people had any clue what they did or didn't do with White Lily Knights.

A soft knock at the door announced the arrival of their cots and her belongings which had been left downstairs in her hurry to see to Kella. Lillian let them in, directing them where to place them in the small room. She ordered tea for three before seeing them out and shutting the door.

Looking around one last time she gave a satisfied nod before working at removing her armor. Somehow she didn't think she'd need it much up here, but for appearances she'd wear the damn suit during the day. For now, though, she would rather just relax, a day in the saddle really sapped the energy right out of a person for some reason. She hoped they were taking good care of her horse. That animal was worth more than a soldier's allowance in a year. "So Miss Barawa, tell me about yourself."

Winters-Feather

Siana had to smile at that.
"No," she replied. "I suppose not."
Siana nodded politely at the men who carried in Lilllian's gear. They said gentle 'hellos' but virtually ignored the woman. Siana almost pouted. Those damn grays and pinks, hiding her muscles and dulling her complexion.

Siana sat down on the opposite side of a simple wooden table.  She shyly smiled at the question, glad for the attention. She had been rehearsing this.
"There's not much to say," she said. "I grew up in Ketra. My mother couldn't afford to keep me. I was lucky, though. I became a maid in the Lady Algoma's house. She was kind  and loved to ride horses. But, oh... well, it's not very polite to say."
Siana sighed.
"She had the misery sickness and was consumed by it. Dark times, dark times... "

Siana smiled  as if it was her duty to cheer Lillian up.
"But best not to dwell on it," she said. "Especially in such a dark and cold place like this. You know, when I was a child, I wanted to be a solider, too. I wanted to ride dragons."
She laughed as if that thought was preposterous.

Zero

Lillian was methodically stripping plate and padding as she listened intently to the maid's story. It was quite a tale, she thought idly as she threw a last piece of gear on the pile she'd discarded near the wall. The soft wool clothing she remained in were simple, if finely made, and she didn't look as much a lady or a soldier as she turned jade eyes on Siana, studying the woman carefully.

Finally she shrugged and found a stool, settling on it carefully. "I had no intention of dwelling on it. I don't know what ladies you've served in the past, but you needn't concern yourself with upsetting a frail little woman liable to faint as soon as look at you."

Indeed, she didn't seem to much care about this "misery sickness" Siana spoke of, or all that interested in who the maid had served before now, for that mater.

"If you wanted to be a soldier and to ride dragons then why didn't you? I was under the impression that women in countries outside of Connlaoth had more freedom to choose the life they wanted."

Winters-Feather

OOC: my geology is derp. siana is supposed to come from adela, so it's ketra not arca. XD

IC:

"Oh, miss," Siana said, bowing her head in embarrassment.
"In some ways, yes," she said, slowly, "But family is very important. Even though my mother gave me up, it was her wish  I did not."
She sat up straighter in her chair.
"Besides, blood makes me feel faint," she said  sheepishly.  "Still, have you ever been to Adela, miss? The dragons are beautiful."

Zero

Duty to family, seems country hardly mattered on that front. It was a sentiment Lillian could understand, her entire life had been devoted to trying to do well by her family and to make her father proud. Too bad she'd been an adhara, that had disappointed her father beyond words. Truthfully, she didn't like it any better. Instead of serving her father's needs, she was serving Calent's whims, twisted as they were.

"I've never left Connlaoth, and I've no desire to ever do so. I'm sure your dragons are impressive, but they are something I can live without ever seeing." Dragons, the word almost made her shudder. Magic creatures of enormous size and ferocity? No thanks!

Winters-Feather

Sensing Lillian's discomfort, Siana substituted her normal hearty laugh for a brief, sympathetic chuckle.
"Yes, Lady Coleridge," she said, agreeably.
Suddenly, Siana felt a little stuck. It wasn't like she could jump into a story about battles or that time she laid the Serendipty's army general and stole his trousers. For once, she had to think about manners and polite conversation. She had almost forgotten how that went.
"And what about you, miss?" Siana asked. "What's it like where you're from, if you don't mind me asking."

Zero

"Where I'm from? Orchy is the greatest duchy of them all, but my opinion is highly biased, you understand. In all seriousness, Orchy is beautiful, though a lot of the land is orchards. There's a heavy military influence in my duchy, and warfare is a way of life. You can't go a day without seeing men training, running drills, and this is all over the duchy, not one area." Lillian spoke of Orchy with great pride, she had always been very proud of where she came from, as any Coleridge should. As any Orchian should.

"Family. Duty. Honor. There are no more important things in life than those. Ask any Orchian man, woman, or child and they'd tell you the same."

Winters-Feather

Lillian's passion for her duchy did not surprise Siana. Still, it was rather charming to see Lillian speak with such pride about her people- also amusing.
Family. Duty. Honor.
Siana was reminded of a travelling priest she had seen on her travels. He stood in the street, obviously penniless and hungry, but he spoke of his deity with such vigilance. Siana had forgotten which it was- there were so many.

"Well, I promise you, my lady, that I shall if I meet any," Siana said in a faux solemn voice. "Though I doubt that'll be any time soon. Perhaps one of the soldiers, though they don't seem very conversational."

visualspice

It was about this time Lady Harmond had begun to awaken, making a soft noise as she stretched upon her bed. At first, she was in a foggy haze, uncertain what to make of her surroundings, but then seeing the two women outside of the bars she was stuck within reminded her of her plight as she silently peered over at the two from over her shoulder.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Zero

"I doubt you'll find a soldier from Orchy outside of Orchy. Father doesn't send many that far away from home." Lillian said with a shrug. Her father had a strong military and he wasn't handing it over to Calent, no matter what political affiliation he might claim.

A soft sound came from the cell, causing Lillian to look up and notice the woman she was there to keep an eye on. Not that she thought it was necessary. Kella Harmond may have been a mage, but she seemed resigned to her captivity and showed no indication that she was going to cause problems. "Lady Harmond, there are books for you now."

visualspice

Kella delicately tucked back her hair and lightly brushed the sleep from her eyes. She regarded Lily, then Kylo.
"Thank you, Lady Coleridge." And she nodded to Siana, "And Miss Kylo." And quietly she observed the books, browsing through their titles to see what sorts of things she could bury herself away in. It seemed this Kylo had some interesting choices, and some very good ones as well. And after inspecting them all, she gave another nod to the pair of women before drawing her finger nails to her lips. She felt exhausted, but also anxious, and longingly, her eyes drifted over towards the barred window- which seemed all but a world away.

Winters-Feather

Siana stood up in Kella's presence and curtsied at her gratitude. She watched as the young lady quietly flipped through the books. Whatever that librarian had given her was a good selection- Siana could see the curiosity in Kella's eyes. Siana felt a warm, fuzzy feeling inside, pleased at her accomplishment. True, she was a sellsword... but if she was going to do a job, it was gonna be well done. Always.

That was it. The lady inspected the books, and left, just like that. Siana lowered herself back into the chair, careful not to plop down, as she normally would.
"Not much to talk, poor child," Siana observed, turning back to the lady knight.
"Probably still exhausted. Forgive me for saying so, miss," she told Lillian. "But you look like you need some rest, yourself. We should rest tonight and be prepared for the new day to come."

Zero

Lillian watched Kella flip through the selection brought for her, curious herself at what the maid had brought, but curbing the desire to inspect the books, she merely bowed her head slightly in acknowledgement of the expressed gratitude. "We are here to serve you, Lady Kella. Do not forget that."

Those jade eyes turned to Siana as she spoke, a frown crossing her lips. "Given her position I understand her lack of interest in chatting with her jailers. Still, rest is something we could all do with. It has been a...trying day."

She still couldn't quite believe that she was guarding Blaith Harmond's twin sister. Standing with a sigh, Lillian went to the spare room to set up the cots properly for herself and the maid.

visualspice

At Lily's words, Kella gave a simple nod and kept it lowered towards the pair of them. Nervously, she squeezed her hands over the blanket on her cell bed, but then returned to staring over at the window, becoming once again, lost in thought. Day dreams were at least a place she could escape, because even her sleeping dreams could produce nightmares. At least if she were awake... she had some semblance of hope. But when her eyes closed shut at night...
So many fears stirred awake-
and the one primary being that her twin brother would come to rescue her, and carry her off to a fate worse than this.

Winters-Feather

OOC: I thought they were in the side room speaking...
IC:

"Oh, you don't have to," Siana told Lillian, rushing in to help the knight fix the cots.
"Thank you. You ought to get some sleep and stay warm in the blankets." 
Siana went to the fireplace, and fixed the flames low so that they wouldn't escape the hearth.
That should do it for the night, she thought. Next job I take is in Essyrn.

With a sigh, she got back to her feet, and undid her bodice, embracing the air rushing into her lungs.
That's better.
Within moments, she was in her woolen under-dress with a shawl over her shoulders.
"Good night, Lady Coleridge," Siana said as she slipped into her cot and squirmed until she could find a proper position. She fell asleep the moment her eyes shut.