Spirits of the Earth is a relaxed, inclusive community with a focus on interesting characters, engaging plots, respect for all players, and fun without micromanagement. In order to make sure everyone is on the same page, please be sure to read the following rules. If you have any questions that you can't find the answer to, feel free to ask or consult our FAQ.
SotE's staff reserves the right to address any issues that aren't expressly mentioned in the rules, but prove to be problematic, on a case by case basis. Failure to adhere to the rules may result in a temporary, or even permanent, ban.
- Respect each other. While characters may be bigoted, we do not tolerate racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, ageism, ableism, slurs (including the word "gypsy"), or other such "-isms" from our members. SotE is a safe space with a diverse group of writers and their comfort comes first. If another member ever makes you feel uncomfortable for any reason or if anything ever affects your enjoyment of the game, please tell a staff member. We are always available to help and we work hard to maintain a friendly, safe, and fair community.
- Please use trigger warnings when discussing common triggery topics.
- Please refrain from graphic discussions of violence, drugs, sex, and any illegal activities in the OOC areas of the site. This should be a comfortable space for everyone.
- Feel free to join our Discord Chat server! Please keep in mind that the rules function the same way there as they do here.
- We're a one account per player game.
- You may play as many original characters as you like. Fandom characters and races will not be accepted.
- All characters must be from SotE's world and fit within its medieval fantasy setting. They may not come from different worlds or timelines.
- Powerful characters, even god-like entities, are welcome! But we must ask for no omnipotent, all-powerful, capital-G Gods who are responsible for the creation and upkeep of time and space and life itself. Give your powerful characters an upper limit!
- Feel free to create your own species and cultures within the world. Entire nations, however, need to be approved first.
- Don't break the world. Characters should not reference events, people, religions, and cultures from our world. They don't exist in SotE! Likewise, any setting-altering plots (such as blowing up a city) should be approved in advance.
- Technology levels cannot exceed that of the canon locations.
- This is a consent-based game. Players have the option of setting their own limits regarding their character and what can happen to it. No one can kill, control, or alter another player’s character without that player’s permission.
- We run on liquid time. Your characters can be in as many threads as you wish. Be sure to keep track of your own timelines!
- There are no posting orders in group threads. If players would like a posting order, they are welcome to establish that with their group.
- We welcome instant messenger RP! Just remember to post the log to the forum.
On SotE, we use a system of thread tags to keep things organized. Tags must be placed either in the subject line of a thread or in the first post of a thread. Here are our common tags:
- Mature themes involving graphic violence, drug use, sex, sexual abuse, and other such "mature" topics can and do appear in some threads and plots. You must make sure that any other players involved in the thread are comfortable with these subjects prior to writing them. Please be mature, tasteful, and responsible when dealing with these subjects.
- By participating in threads containing mature content, you are agreeing that you and your partner are 18 years of age or older.
- Open threads must be tagged [open]. These are threads that anyone can hop into at any time, regardless of how long the thread has gotten.
- Open by request threads must be marked [open by request] or [PM/DM to join]. These are closed threads that you may be able to join after PMing/DMing the thread starter.
- Private threads must be marked [private], [closed], or [player name(s)]. These are threads that are usually made for specific players and cannot be joined unless you're invited.
- Mature threads must be tagged [mature] or [M].
- Please use trigger warnings for common triggery subjects. This can be done by placing a [TW] tag in the subject line of the thread, along with a note at the beginning of the thread or post that specifies what kind of triggery content lies within. For example, TW: rape/abuse/self-harm/suicide/graphic violence/etc.
Thread tags are flexible in that tags can be combined, and they can be changed. For example, you might originally tag a player in a thread, but the two of you might decide to keep the thread open so other people can join you. Or you might tag a thread as open, but get 50 posts in and decide to make it a private thread between just you and whoever joined. Just be sure to edit your tags to reflect that change!
- Please do not change the font colors or sizes for in character posts.
- Read our art usage policy! It's quite important!
- Avatars can be no larger than 150 x 200 pixels. Signature graphics can be no larger than 600 x 200 pixels. It's recommended that you keep a list of all the characters you play in your signature.
- User-submitted lore becomes site-canon upon approval. Once that content is site-canon, it is part of the game and thus belongs to all present and future players for the purpose of RPing. Bear that in mind when/if you decide to submit your ideas.