Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Strange Happenings [Glob] [M]

Started by DragonSong, February 04, 2016, 08:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaGlobster

She got closer and he easily wrapped her in his arms, looking out around the tower, feeling his own kind of uneasiness.

"We should," he said, and he found her hands to give her a comforting squeeze.

"We're in one of the surrounding planes, no doubt. Maybe one of the transitional ones..." he said, and he led the way as he stepped back out towards the window. It wasn't completely dark, there was some sort of... pale illumination that seemed to come from outside. As he approached the window, the inner feeling of dread in his chest started to build.

The planes, elemental or otherwise, were all connected by the energies of the world. Places like the astral plane connected them, but the astral plane was not the only one...

As he came up to the window and laid a hand on it, the first thing he noticed was how cold it was. The window looked out onto shadowy, blasted terrain. In the distance, warped mockeries of buildings were silhouetted by a permanently eclipsed black sun. The tower itself had come to rest on the edge of a ravine, looking out over bleak, seemingly lifeless terrain permanently cast in shadow.

"Of all the places... it had to be the plane of shadows..."

DragonSong

"Vel, wait--"

She didn't want to leave his arms, but for some reason she didn't want to get any closer to the window either. It was silly, she knew, but there was just...something. A dread deep in the pit of her stomach that made no sense, but refused to relent.

She pressed in close against his side as he crossed to look out the window, her eyes finally beginning to adjust to the faint, pale light. She swallowed nervously and looked up at him. "The...plane of shadows?"

That really did not sound great.

"Can we move again--? No. No, the lights aren't even working, of course the tower can't move immediately," Twilight muttered to herself as she wriggled in to get even closer to his side, instinctively seeking some sort of shelter. Another shiver rippled through her, though this one was equal parts fear and genuine cold; there was a chill from the window that she could feel even a few steps away.

DaGlobster

"The impact might've thrown the arrays off of their alignments. The power channels seem to be disrupted as well..." he said, but his clinical talk cut off when she clung to him a little tighter. He nodded, and extended a hand out and her robe flew into his hand. In order to soothe her shivering he put the robe around her shoulders and he smoothed it out with a quick stroke down her arms.

"We're fine, and it looks like the tower is, too. We just need to activate the wards," he said, and he took his eyes off of the view to look down at his wife.

"We can pick the tower up later."

DragonSong

Twilight looked up at him, eyes still wide, and nodded once, firmly. She tried to shove down that illogical fear in the pit of her belly and glanced around the tower again.

"Okay." She took a breath. "Okay. So what's first to get the wards back up?"

She was being silly. It was just dark, that was all. There was nothing sinister to be worried about.

DaGlobster

"The physical ones are the most important and the simplest. They're down here on the first floor. Along the walls," he said, and as he motioned to the walls the tower responded to his thoughts and the magical enchantments and markings that gave it its power lit up on the walls.

"I think these are the only wards I've taught you to use, too," he admitted with a shy smile.

"But if you get these down here, I can go on up to the observatory level and get the energetic wards going. This is the kind of place where you don't want any magical energies seeping in."

He could see she was still grappling with uneasiness, and he sought to take her attention from it by sliding his hands onto her waist and giving her one long, deep kiss.

"All set?"

DragonSong

Twilight hummed noncommittally in the back of her throat, and though she relaxed into his touch, once he'd broken the kiss the wariness was already beginning to creep back into her expression.

But she just gave him a single, sharp nod and murmured, "Yes, I can do this. Should I head up to you when I'm done down here?"

Already she was turning over the warding spells and activation rituals and words that he'd taught her, eyes scanning the markings on the walls as she allowed her power to rise up in her chest and swirl just beneath her breastbone--the sensation settled somewhere oddly between comforting and wary.

She didn't notice the glimmer of red in the air around her, on the thin, ghostly outline of a shield that began to manifest over her back, then faded when she shook herself and let out a sharp breath.

DaGlobster

"Please do. We need to get everything back on as fast as we can," Vel said, and it was his mechanical nature that let him hide his jitters. This was not a good place to be stuck.

Stupid, stupid! He knew the tower could take a beating, if he hadn't have tried to rush the spell...

Then, Twilight did that unique magic of hers and wonder replaced anxiety. He returned her nod, and he rest his hand on her side.

"Lots of books to re-organize," he added with a tilt of his head, and he leaned in to peck her cheek before stepping onto the elevator and rising up into the tower.

DragonSong

For the briefest moment, Twilight thought maybe there was something wrong. Something more than what he was saying. Her eyes skated over him, sharp and evaluating--but before she could get a proper read on him, he'd pecked her cheek and was already on the elevator, heading up.

"Of course. We can't have disorganized books," she murmured with a small smile at his retreating form.

Reinstating the wards was time consuming, but not necessarily overly difficult. It was really just a recitation of spells she'd learned by rote over the last month or so, really. The only difference was she didn't have Vel over her shoulder checking to make sure things were done correctly, but she was confidant enough in her abilities--old and new--that she stepped onto the elevator to move up to the observatory.

DaGlobster

The sounds of magical sparking and the blue-green flicker of magic greeted Twilight as the elevator took her up into the tower's observatory level. Ironically enough, it wasn't even the top floor. Inside, Vel was wrestling with a sparking chord of magical energy coming from the walls. There was a visible crack in the walls where the giant worm had hit the tower.

The wards flickered and sparked, and ven though Vel managed to get all of the released energy back in, the wards remained dull and barely functional.

"No, no no no no no.... damn it!" Vel said, unaware of his wife's presence in the room. He spread his arms and tried once again, hurling magical energy at the wards in a desperate attempt to get them to re-activate.

"Come on!"

Once more, the lightshow came to an end, and the wards remained dull. Vel slumped onto his knees, all four mechanical arms sizzling and popping with the leftover magic.

DragonSong

"Hey."

Twilight crossed the room quickly and reached out to lay her hand on Vel's shoulder. "It's okay," she murmured. She had no idea if it was, or would be, but she hated to see him like this. She just wanted to help. "It's okay, love."

Her magic swirled beneath her breast, reacting instinctively to her emotional state--and her intent, whether she realized it consciously or not. She just wanted to help, and her magic...tried. It curled up her arm and through her fingers, tingling in violet sparks as it fell from her fingertips and trailed over Vel's shoulder and down his back, sinking into wood and brass in tiny bursts of arcane energy.

She gasped, snatching her hand back, eyes wide. "Oh! I didn't--I'm sorry, I didn't mean to--are you alright?"

DaGlobster

Not so much despondent as he was drained, Twilight's hand on his shoulder brought a sluggish groan out of him. The markings on his arms were letting out hot, bluish vapors as excess mana bled away. The brass in his arms radiated the last few vestiges of crackling energy. Twilight would find him hot to the touch, although not enough to burn.

"The energy wards... they're drained. Fully drained..." he said slowly, and he would've kept on talking if not for the sudden influx of magical power coursing through him. As the violet energies seeped into the texture of his wood and the seams of his brass.

His runic inscriptions flashed, and he straightened up on his knees with a shudder. He was just as confused as she was. Had she just transferred some mana to him?

"Oh it's quite alright," Vel managed, and he found her hand with his own and held on tightly.

"We're in a bit of a situation, Love."

DragonSong

Twilight's eyes widened at the flash of light from the runes etched into her husband's body, but she squeezed his hand back tightly and knelt next to him to wrap her other arm around his shoulders.

"Okay..." She looked around the tower, eyes flickering between worry and determination. "Okay. Okay." She leaned in to kiss his cheek, then cupped his face in her hand so she could tilt his face toward her and meet his eyes. "What do you need me to do, Vel? How do I help?"

She glanced down at their joined hands, at the last remnants of purple sparks that jumped around her fingers. "What if..." She looked up at him again. "What--what I just did. You said the wards are drained. Mana is just energy. What if I...could I charge them?"

DaGlobster

Vel looked up at Twilight, awe and concern blending in his expression as his eyes wandered from her to the weakly pulsing lines that ran all over the tower's bedroom.

"It's... it's dangerous. Reach too far into them and the wards will sap your power away for days. To be honest, it's too much for one mage to bear alone. Didn't stop me from trying, so stupid..."

He straightened up a bit on his knees so he could rest his head against Twilight's arm. Then, he reached down and unclasped an ornate bracer from one of his wrists. It had a pyramid-cut sapphire in the center, surrounded by intricate engravings of blowing wind and flowing water.

He held the bracer up to Twilight.

"Here, this bracer's tuned to the tower's magical conduits. Just focus on the soul ward, that's the most important one on this plane."

DragonSong

“Oh, sweetheart...” She held him a little tighter when he leaned against her. She rarely saw him this tired from magic use, and honestly it scared her a bit. “Just give yourself a minute,” she urged quietly, twisting her head to press a quick kiss to his temple before she took the bracer. She eyed it for a moment before she cautiously slid it on.

Soul ward. Right. Okay. She could do this.

Twilight closed her eyes and tried to repeat what she had just done on accident: no spell, no incantation, no runes or signals, just magic. Raw energy that she tried to picture as a conduit, flowing from her into the tower’s ward. Come on, please...

And it seemed to work. The purple sparks that had been dancing around her fingertips started up again, then suddenly her whole body was alight with them as they skittered down her arms, into her hands, and then outward or into the bracer. She kept her eyes tight shut, willing the magic to go where she wanted with no other purpose than to fuel a spell that was not her own.

But she’d never done something like this before, and Vel was right: it was too much for a single mage. Twilight began to slip from fierce concentration into a sort of daze, but the magic just kept coming, using her more as a channel than as an anchoring spell caster. But just a little more, if she could just do a little more. She had to do this, to protect them, to protect him....

With a quiet sigh, the last of her magic swirled out in violet spirals and she slumped against Vel’s shoulder, barely conscious. If she’d had the presence of mind to examine herself, she’d have realized that she’d be drained for days from that, just like he’d said.

Except...

Except it didn’t stop.

Power continued to flow from her, violet fading to pure white light. No longer sparks but a constant shine, a halo around her body that seemed to be drawing in from the air around her, from some invisible source not quite connected to the tower itself, and then using the channel she’d already opened to flow into the wards. It started to come faster and her breaths grew shallow. She collapsed entirely, unconscious.

And the magic didn’t stop.

DaGlobster

The Whirls.

That was the term that Vel's old master had used to describe the act of losing yourself in the act of manipulating large amounts of magic. Vel had always thought of it as a crude, spiteful way of referring to one of the most dangerous things a mage could do.

"Mages spend their lives training to rule the streams of power around us. But when you lose yourself to the current, when you let your mind float along the stream instead of gripping and controlling it, that's The Whirls."

He couldn't help but hear his master's old voice chiding, cackling in that hoarse, smug tone of his. By the time the focus in her eyes gave way to a dazed look, the horror had dawned on him. Her motions became less precise, more reactionary. Arms whirling with less and less precision with each pulse of magic. The worst part was that by the time she'd set into it, it was already too late.

She slumped against him and Vel stammered wordlessly before he was able to get her name out.

"Twilight? Twilight! That's enough, please!"

She couldn't hear him. He tried to rouse her, to put her hands down and hold her by the wrist to just make her stop, anything to make the flow of magic stop. He saw the last of her violet light go whirling out of her, and he saw her eyes hover between open and closed, and he made a small choked sound. A hand against her wrist, and much of the tension left him.

Okay, she was still alive. This was still a nightmare, but at least--

And then Twilight nearly heaved out of his arms as piercing bolts of renewed power started slamming into the wards. Out of instinct, Vel shielded his crystal against the magical whiplash. He was torn between letting her go and holding onto her even tighter. The terror didn't really set in until she went fully limp but was still shooting veritable torrents of magic into the tower's magical systems.

He stood, made some signs to try and dampen her own magic, but he himself was still drained and all he got for his efforts was sharp backlash and singed forearms. By the time he'd gotten back to his feet, the tower's lights were glowing brightly. Too brightly! The foundations shuddered as dormant systems all came back online at the same time, but that shudder was quickly followed by a sharp jolt as magic bolts started to arc off the runes in the ceiling, jumping around and leaving scorch marks wherever they landed.

This was too much, for both Twilight and the tower itself!

Thinking quick, Vel put himself in the way of the beam, using all four arms to try and capture as much of it as he could into himself. His arm runes sizzled and he could feel that his mana reserves would blow at any moment, but he needed just a couple of seconds to mentally direct one of the tower's windows to open. Using the tips of his fingers to guide the energy, Vel straightened his limbs into a resistance-free path. One pair of hands received all the energy, which flowed through him and out through the tips of his other pair of hands, aimed directly out the window like some kind of exhaust. Immediately, the connection slammed through him and he became a conduit. The damage across his body increased, his chest started to glow orange with all the heat and power flowing through him.

He could only hope that she petered out before he got melted.

DragonSong

Whatever was happening to Twilight, it was clear she had no conscious control over it—but she could control it.

That instinct didn’t kick in until the power hit Vel the first time. Her body jerked slightly, spine arching and fingers twitching, then she went limp again. Then Vel began to use himself as a conduit, raw magic arcing through him like a lightning rod, and she jerked upright.

She still didn’t seem to be conscious. Her eyes were closed, body far too rigid compared to how she usually held herself; her arms raised, left foot sliding back into her guard stance as the magic around her suddenly shivered and shifted, then broke into pieces. In a blink, she was holding her sword and shield again. With a short, sharp movement, she slashed the blade through the beam of white light, severing it entirely, then threw her shield up and braced herself as the remaining excess magic seemed to be sucked into it.

And then it was over. The power in the room vanished, back to wherever it had come from. Twilight turned her head toward Vel and opened her eyes. The violet was almost entirely eaten away by white sparks.

Slowly, as though she wasn’t quite sure of the language she spoke, she said, “You’re…hurt.” She took a step toward him, reaching out with the hand that still gripped her sword to press the tip of her finger against the center of his chest. A brief, bright pulse of white light—remnants of that raw magic—sparked from the contact, racing over his form and cooling the heated metal and wood, seeking out the buffs and scratches from where he’d slid across the floor earlier.

Twilight sucked in a sharp breath as her hand dropped, and blinked rapidly. Her eyes flickered, the white light fading to reveal a purple that for just a heartbeat seemed bluer than usual.

She stared up at him. “…Vel?”

She swayed on her feet, then collapsed to one knee, using her sword as a crutch and bringing her shield up automatically before both weapons flickered out of existence. She slumped, panting, both hands braced on the floor in front of her as she looked up to him again shakily, tears in her eyes.

“I…don’t… I’m sorry…I—“

Her eyes rolled back and she collapsed again—though thankfully this time it seemed to only be an exhausted swoon.

DaGlobster

It was over in a moment, although to Vel it had been a near eternity. Wood boiled and metal glowed, and he thought for a moment that this might actually kill him, but before he could even register much else, she was suddenly back in action. She severed the stream somehow, and even managed to dispel the excess. Not scatter or dilute it, but it was just... gone!

He could barely keep his balance. Magic permeated every inch of him, so to be so drastically over-charged played hell on his sight and senses. But he could see her eyes. She looked to him and the sparks gave her an otherworldly, almost ethereal look. She advanced on him then, and while his first instinct was to recoil and keep her from touching his burning-hot frame, he found that he couldn't quite resist her or the look in her eyes.

Like she was sleepwalking, she touched him with a single finger. Vel felt the magic, and hesitation turned to bliss as his metal unwarped and his wooden parts mended. He closed his eyes, only opening them when he heard the clatter of a sword.

"Twilight!"

He knelt down before she could swoon all the way to the grown and supported her.

"My love, that... I think you should rest. I've never seen magical feedback like that in my life."

DragonSong

Breath coming in stuttered, shaky pants, Twilight managed to nod weakly against his shoulder as he knelt and held her against him. "I'm sorry," she repeated faintly, lashes fluttering against her cheeks. "I'm sorry, love, I didn't...mean to..."

An involuntary sigh of exhaustion escaped her and she let her head fall to his shoulder, too rattled and weak to continue holding it up herself. She could still feel...something. The barest flicker of power in her core. But her usual awareness of her magic seemed to have almost disappeared entirely--she had no idea what had just happened, but she knew whatever it was had drained her almost completely.

She did manage to muster enough strength to ask quietly, "Are we...safe?" She had a vague sense of the tower's wards having come back on, as it were, and she thought most of the lights were working again, but it was all still very fuzzy.

DaGlobster

"We're safe, love. Don't worry," he said, closing the window he'd opened with a thought. Gently, he supported her weight and then tucked his arms under her legs so he could carry her. He stepped over to their bed and let her down on top of the covers. He put a hand on her forehead, and then caressed her cheek.

"We're safe now because of you," he repeated, ignoring the large shadow that slowly passed over the tower, temporarily darkening it as if a cloud had passed over.

and not a moment too soon, he thought. Before she or him could give it much thought, he willed all the curtains closed and the tower's lights dimmed. All around him, he could feel the tower alive once again.

He took her hands in his bottom pair of hands while the top stroked her cheek and adjusted her pillow.

"Rest."

DragonSong

"That's...that's good," Twilight murmured as he lifted her up, unable to keep her eyes open. She sighed quietly when Vel put her in the bed, and her lips twitched in the barest flicker of a smile when she felt his hand on her cheek. She tried to squeeze his hands in hers, but only managed a slight twitch of her fingers.

"M'not...don't think I can...do much magic...for a while," she mumbled. Her words slurred as though she was drunk, the drain of all that magic passing through her body leaving her in an exhausted state almost near delirium. "We should...make sure we move...soon..."

Her head lulled on the pillow and her breathing deepened as her body finally dragged her into unconsciousness. Despite the sheer volume of power she had just wielded, aside from the deep weariness, there didn't seem to be any ill effects--but she slept deeply, unlikely to wake any time soon.