Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

An Inn on the Road to Selevea [DragonSong]

Started by MadEmperor, January 14, 2023, 03:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadEmperor

"I do. I mean, back home they got used to me but travelers often gave me the stinkeye." He seemed pretty blase about it, more annoyed by losing his winnings than the prejudice. She could likely figure out by that and his accent that, while not local, he was at least Serenian by upbringing. 

"I don't really look shifty, do I?" He gave her his best innocent face, which wasn't that hard; he was, in fact, pretty honest. Being dishonesty made him uncomfortable. He was even tempted to go back and return the few extra coins he took even though all of it was won fairly. 

DragonSong

"Kitten, everyone looks shifty. And if they don't look shifty, then they definitely are shifty," Kiara replied with a chuckle. "Gods, you really are fresh aren't you? Are you out here in your own?"

He certainly wasn't completely incompetent, at least not that she'd seen, but she couldn't help thinking he'd have an easier time of it if he had someone along with him.

She cast the gaming table a quick glance over her shoulder—habitually—then swore under her breath. "We, uh, may want to make ourselves scarce."

MadEmperor

He winced at her accurate assessment of his level of life experience. He knew he could handle himself but traveling alone had definitely been more difficult than he had expected. Maybe his uncle in Selevea could connect him with someone who needed a swordsman. 

"Oh shit. Good thing the storm seems to be dying down," he responded, hurriedly pushing through the doors out of the inn. Better damp than arrested for a bar fight. 

DragonSong

"Probably a summer squall," Kiara agreed as she followed him out. "Listen, you were a help back there, so thanks, but I've gotta grab some supplies and—"

"Oi!"

She closed her eyes. "Mother. Fuck."

"You! That pot was light—you two got sticky fingers, do ya?" It was the drunkest of the gaming table, staggering out of the inn after them into the rain, with two of his friends on his heels—both of which looked like they were sure whether they were trying to pull him back or back him up.

Kiara scowled and planted herself in front of Grav, arms folded. "He won that money fair and square. You're lucky he didn't take the lot of it."

Behind her back, she flicked her fingers: move, go, now.

MadEmperor

He started to move, but male pride and misplaced chivalry wouldn't let him leave her cleaning up his mess. So he stepped up beside her with one hand on the hilt of sword. He would fight if he had t. 

"I'll tell you what. Tell us where to get some travel supplies and I'll let you keep half of what I bet with no further... unpleasantness," he offered with a friendly but steely tone. He inched his blade out of its sheath just enough to show he was prepared to defend himself. 

He was almost a different person when a fight was possible. It was the one thing he was serious about. He knew that he'd get himself killed if he didn't. 

DragonSong

"You son of a--!"

The drunk took a threatening step forward, scrabbling for a weapon on his belt--probably a knife--and his friends seemed to decide they were there to back him up after all.

"Shit." Kiara ducked and whirled behind Grav; she was considerably slighter than any of the men coming at them, and she didn't have enough misplaced pride to try squaring up to them toe to toe. "Run," she hissed at him as she quickly drew her own dagger from its sheath at her lower back. "They're too pissed to chase us far, just move!"

She could only hope he had the good sense to follow her as she turned on her heel and took off, hearing scuffling and shouting as at least two of the men came stumbling after her.

MadEmperor

He didn't like it, but he could see the sense in avoiding this fight. Besides, heroes didn't cut down drunks anyway. So he shrugged and gave the men a jaunty salute before turning to run. 

He caught up to her quickly, staying between her and the men.  "I really could have taken them, you know," his pride made him say; And he wholeheartedly believed that he could have. So what if there were three of them?  They were drunken idiots! 

DragonSong

"Not the point, kitten," Kiara replied as she took a sharp turn between two buildings and started making for the edge of the tiny village. "More often than not, avoiding the fight is winning the fight."

Despite their inebriated state, it seemed their pursuers were gaining on them. Damn.

Swearing quietly, Kiara suddenly backpedaled, grabbing Grav's arm and dragging him with her behind a wagon that had been either parked on abandoned at the edge of the narrow road leading into town. She crouched low, putting one finger to her lips as she pulled him down with her and listened intently.

Stumbling footsteps, muttered oaths, then... There. Sounded like they were giving up the chase.

MadEmperor

Grav's hearing wasn't as keen as hers, so he waited a few moments before daring to speak. Not talking was hard! 

"So, uh, that was a thing." As he spoke, he counted his recovered coin. "Two moons and six pennies? Nicely done, me."

He flipped one silver her way as compensation. "Here. So we both break even." 

DragonSong

Kiara caught the coin and gave him a quick grin. "Thanks, mate." She tucked the silver into the small coin purse on her belt and then cautiously got back to her feet, peering around the edge of the wagon to make sure the coast was clear. With a sigh, she rocked back on one heel and ran a hand through her hair, mussing the already mussed curls.

"Well. Shit. Guess I'll be hunting for supper the next few days." She gave her head a quick shake. Things could be worse.

But it wasn't really food that she'd been so concerned about--she needed medical supplies. She could always forage for those, but she'd been hoping to get a little magical help--Serendipity was near famous for that sort of thing, and her own abilities were sadly lacking in that department.

She forced herself back to the present and gave him another quick grin. "Well. This was lovely and all, but seems like I've got a bit of a trek ahead of me. You mind yourself, kitten--you've got heart. That can be a rare thing on the road."

MadEmperor

He, too, returned to his feet, giving her comment a lopsided smile. He was a little embarrassed by it but not enough to say anything about it. "I haven't gotten jaded just yet. Hoping I never do."

Brushing himself off, he added, "It was nice to meet you, Kiara. May fate let us meet again."

He didn't particularly believe in fate being a thing, at least not something anyone could know in advance. Or was that destiny? He could never keep those straight. Not that it mattered because, again, not a thing. People made their own. The Gods don't make people's decisions for them. 

DragonSong

"Don't go putting too much stock in fate," Kiara chuckled as she started walking away. "She'll rob you blind."

And that was that.

It didn't take long for the rumors to reach the small town and inn. A dragon had been sighted in the wilds, not far from the nearest farm. A smallish creature, as such things went, and wounded. Far too close for comfort for any of the locals--surely someone should take care of the beast. There was even talk of a collection going up, a reward for anyone who claimed the dragon's head; after all, what were a few coins compared to the damage such a creature could wreak on their land and livestock.

"Out past Meerin's farm, I'm tellin' ya." Coincidentally, it was one of the local gamblers who was regaling the inn's common room with the story the next day--though only a handful seemed to believe him. "Not even a full day's walk! That's too godsdamned close."

MadEmperor

Grav's ears perked up upon overhearing the rumor. It was worth looking into, at least. Approaching the inkeeper, he asked, " Any truth to that collection?"

The innkeeper looked him over and nodded. "Whether there is a dragon is a different story, but if you're willing to risk your skin then don't let me stop you from trying."

The young adventurer thanked the man with a small tip and headed out. He had always wanted to see a dragon, and to fight one if necessary. Killing it didn't seem right unless it was truly an imminent threat; if it wasn't, then resolving the issue peacefully would be his first heroic deed all the same. Even if the locals might not see it that way.

Continuing down the road, he eventually found his way to the wilds near Meerin's farm.

DragonSong

The dragon in question was napping quite peacefully under the lip of a low, rolling hill just far enough away from the edge of cultivated land that he should have been quite unobtrusive--and likely would have been, if the small copse of trees around the semi-hiding spot hadn't been so obviously broken by what must have been one hell of a landing.

Kit was lucky he was sleeping at all; the myriad of lacerations that decorated his hide had hardly let him lay comfortably for more than a moment or two in the last three days, and the wide, ragged slash through the membrane of his left wing had only just begun to stop aching. That, or he was just getting used to the sensation.

Still. Most dragons couldn't say they'd gotten off so lightly after a run-in with proper dragonhunters.

Which was why he'd told Kiara that he'd be quite fine on his own while she foraged for some medicinal plants in the nearby fields--"It's not stealing, Kit, it's not like farmers are overly fussed about their burdock when there's proper crops to harvest," she'd said--but as a new scent crested the hill something in his subconscious stirred, wondering if that was entirely true.

The young dragon lifted his head groggily, jaws cracking open in a massive yawn that showed rows of dagger-sharp, silver-bright teeth and a long, forked tongue that tasted the air curiously as he blinked and swam back toward proper wakefulness.

MadEmperor

Grav sneaked through the trees to get a better look at the creature that had caused the damage. He had heard so many conflicting stories that he didn't know exactly what kind of threat they were unprovoked or even how intelligent they actually were. Of course, both were true about humans and other races too. 

Noticing the dragon waking, he instinctively hid behind a tree and slowed his breathing. The advantage was still his but going in without more of a plan could be suicide even if it was small and hurt. He was a fool but not that much of a fool. 

He quickly weighed his options: he could charge in anyway, circle around behind, or approach openly in an attempt to gauge if it meant any harm to begin with. The last thing seemed like the hero's option, so he exhaled and stepped out with a friendly smile. 

"I mean no harm if you don't." At least, that's what he would say if it didn't attack him on sight. 

DragonSong

Kit snorted in surprise--he'd smelled a human approaching, but he was hardly at the top of his game. He hadn't realized how close said human was.

Rearing his head back, the dragon bared his teeth in an instinctive snarl, lumbering from his curled repose to a hunter's crouch. Even so, he visibly winced as the movement stretched his battered body, and the tear in his wing became even more obvious as he fanned them wide in what in an uninjured dragon would have been a rather impressive threat display.

Kit didn't typically speak to humans, but without Kiara to act as interpreter, he didn't have much choice. "Leave in peace or in pieces," he snarled, puffing his chest out as he tried--and failed--to stoke his inner fire. "Your choice."

MadEmperor

Grav hadn't drawn his sword yet precisely for the possibility that presented itself. It had been a gamble, but he had made the right call. So far, anyway. 

He held his bare hands out at his sides to show he was unarmed and not reaching for the weapon on his back. "I'd be happy to leave you in peace. But the locals are worried you may attack them. If I can't allay their fears the peaceful way, someone else will likely come along to collect your head. But be warned, I will defend myself if you decide to make this a fight."

DragonSong

Kit growled again, but his stance shifted subtly, moving from outright threatening to simply wary. Golden eyes flicked over the human before him, sizing him up. "And what is your definition of the peaceful way?" he snarled, lip curled back in a deliberate effort to keep his sharp teeth in view.

"That's an excellent question." Kiara seemed to simply detach herself from the trees just behind and a little to the left of where Grav had been hiding. She had one dagger drawn, her whole body taut in preparation for a fight. "I'd be on my way, if I was you--"

Then she saw his face, and she drew up short, eyes going wide. "Oh holy shit."

MadEmperor

Grav instinctively went for his sword as he turned, keeping the dragon in his sights. When he saw the face of dragon's defender, he dropped his half-drawn blade back into his scabbard and put his arms up. 

"Whoah! Hey! Kiara!" he said awkwardly, regretting the lack of anything to casually lean on, "It's not what you think! I wasn't here to hurt him! At least, not if I didn't have to."

He certainly had a haplessy honest uncomfortable smile going in his favor. The man was either genuine or a really good actor. 

DragonSong

Kiara couldn't keep the corner of her mouth from twitching in the threat of a smiled as recognized her, though she managed to wrangle the expression back under control quickly.

Flipping her dagger casually to catch it by the hilt, she slid it back into the sheath on her hip--still easy to draw, but for now matching his unarmed state--and leaned back into one hip as she folded her arms over her chest. Her expression went flat, steely.

"Whaddya think, Kit?" She didn't look at the dragon, but tipped her head fractionally in his direction. "Worth the indigestion?"

Picking up on her game, the dragon settled back on his haunches and yawned dramatically. "The shiny ones never go down easy," he grumbled, snorting smoke.

"Mmm." Kiara looked Grav up and down again, as though considering. Then she smiled, letting her stance relax and her arms drop to her sides. "Breathe, kitten. Long as you keep that blade sheathed, we don't have a problem."

Kit chuckled quietly, the sound like crackling embers, and settled back down into his little hollow, carefully folding his injured wing back into his side. "This is the guy, then?"

"Yup." Kiara cocked her head the other way, half a smirk twitching at her lips. "So. You came alone? To potentially fight a dragon?"