Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

An Inn on the Road to Selevea [DragonSong]

Started by MadEmperor, January 14, 2023, 03:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadEmperor

"Hm?" He gave turned his head towards her but pretended to be studying the ornate architecture of the wealthy part of Arca so not to meet her eyes. "Yeah, I'm good. Just... gawking at how the other half lives. I can't even imagine how many families the cost of this fence alone could feed."

He really was a terrible liar.

DragonSong

She frowned. "C'mon, puppy. Out with it." She elbowed him lightly, though there was proper concern in her voice. "Are you...feeling worse, today? Is that it?"

She winced, feeling a little guilty that she hadn't asked him before. Her morning had really thrown her for a loop.

MadEmperor

Grav sighed in defeat and let her see his eyes, which had turned nearly entirely red. Only flecks of blue remained to suggest his natural color. He had seen them that morning in a mirror and had been afraid to have it confirmed.

"Not... exactly."

DragonSong

"Oh, Grav."

She paused in the street, tugging him to a standstill with her arm still linked through his, and reached up to cup his cheek in her palm so she could tilt his face toward her for a better look. "Are you--does that hurt?" she asked quietly, brow furrowed as she looked him over.

MadEmperor

"No. Really, I can actually see better. I thought it was just where we were, but now that we're back everything just... pops." There was hesitation in his eyes before he confessed, "But other things hurt and itch and I think all my wounds are gone. I think I'm... changing."

He shuddered. "Not dramatically, thank the gods, but... I'm still terrified."

DragonSong

"Gods." She let her hand drop to curve around the back of his neck and pulled him down to butt her forehead against his gently—it was a gesture oddly reminiscent of a dragon, really.

"Sorry, mate," she mumbled as she pulled back. Aneas had gotten a bit of a lead on them, not seeming to notice their brief aside, and she started walking after him again. "Listen, once we get ourselves explained to Aneas's folks, we can—I'm sure they'll know how to help you, or know someone who can. It'll be alright."

MadEmperor

Grav jogged to catch up. "Yeah," he responded, rubbing the back of his neck, "I'm sure you're right."

They soon reached the decadent manor that the Hallis family called a townhouse. The swordsman couldn't help but marvel at the structure as they approached the wrought-iron gate that led onto the property, with decorative vines woven around every bar.

At that time of day, the gate was open. So Aneas led the way as they continued up the short path to the front door. "If you bear with me, I'm sure we'll get this misunderstanding sorted in no time at all," he assured before knocking.

DragonSong

Kiara snorted. "We don't have much of a choice here, Master Aneas."

The nobleman winced--she had a point--but by that point a steward was opening the door.

"Forgive me, Lord and Lady Hallis are not receiving visitors--" She started. "Master Aneas!"

It was a whirlwind of introductions and confrontations; Aneas's parents had clearly been worrying themselves sick over him, and his mother was so relieved that she collapsed onto her son in dramatic sobs. His father was a little more restrained, and clearly suspicious of the two ragged vagabonds--or well, one ragged vagabond and one slightly-better-dressed-but-still-shoeless vagabond--but at Aneas's hurried reassurances the household gradually calmed.

About twenty minutes later, the lot of them were in a parlor, Aneas trying to explain the situation to his parents as concisely as he could. Kiara and Grav had been offered seats, and Kiara was perched awkwardly on the edge of hers, one leg bouncing with restless energy. She glanced across at Grav and mouthed, How long d'you expect this will take?

MadEmperor

Grav, too, was full of nervous energy. Much like in the Autumn Court, he was constantly fidgeting like a bored child. He shrugged, whispering back, How should I know? It's all up to him.

Lord Hallis glanced over in their direction before asking Aneas yet another question about how sure he was about their intentions. How was the word of two drifters, one a Connloathian for Kia's sake, supposed to stack up against that of a fine, upstanding citizen like Mister Volke?

DragonSong

Kiara made a face even as she nodded in agreement. Finally, after yet another barrage of questions while the household guards simply stared at them, hands on their weapons, she was fed up.

"Alright, look." She stood, folding her arms. "If we really wanted Aneas hurt, why would we bring him back here? And, in case you've forgotten, we did take care of your manticore problem." She gestured between herself and Grav. In her dress, the gesture was turned into something grand and nearly regal, echoed by the movement of green and gold fabric. "So, if you can't help us, thanks very much for your hospitality, but we'll just be on our way. My friend needs help, and I'm not willing to sit here wasting time about it."

Aneas gave his parents a pleading sort of look.

MadEmperor

Lady Hallis spoke up first. "She has a point, dear. They could have easily held onto him and tried for a ransom," she urged, "And they did get him here faster than they possibly could have by normal means."

Lord Hallis looked them over again and sighed. "Fine, fine, we believe you, my son. I'll... properly reward them, send for a mage to assist the young man, and have our people look into Volke. If there is anything suspect, I'll take it to The Eleven."

DragonSong

"Thank you." Kiara sat back down with a huff, blowing an errant curl out of her face.

"You may wait here, if you like," Lord Hallis told them, before ushering his family from the room, the household guards following.

Kiara released a held breath and flopped onto her back, digging the heels of her palms into her eyes and groaning.

"Fuck a reward, I need sleep," she muttered balefully.

MadEmperor

Grav gave a rueful chuckle. "You and me both. And I need food. This whole mess--" He motioned to his eyes. "--is taking a lot of energy."

"Also, sitting still is not my thing. At all." He was fidgeting less without his "betters" watching, but he was still a bundle of anxious energy.

DragonSong

"Well, it's just us now. Go pace the room to your heart's content." She waved a hand at him airily, sprawled out over the chaise now.

"Here, help me up, would ya?" She reached out blindly in his direction. "I swear, this damn thing is held on by spiderwebs and wishing. I'm half afraid if I sit up too quick it's just gonna fall off."

Turning her outstretched hand to a finger of accusation, she added, "I still owe you one for the dress crack, you know."

MadEmperor

He chuckled a little as he got to his feet. "And I earned it."

Grasping her arm, the swordsman pulled her to her feet with surprising ease. With a lightly teasing smirk, he said, "But, I mean--you do look good in it."

DragonSong

"Oh—shut up." She shoved at his shoulder, blushing up to the tips of her ears. "I look like a rescue mutt in a diamond collar."

She looked down at herself, mouth twisted to one side. "Uhg. Gods, I hope Aneas's folks have something else I can wear; I just remembered I left my spare things in my pack with Kit."

She paused a moment, simply staring down at herself. Then all the breath whooshed out of her and she suddenly tipped forward until her brow thumped lightly against the center of Grav's chest.

"...I feel like the last few days have been a month," she mumbled, the normally steel-enforced set to her shoulders and spine positively melting into sloped exhaustion.

MadEmperor

"Whoah!" Grav's arms moved like lightning, supporting her before her head even met his chest. "I think you need to lie down more than I do."

He helped her over to a large sofa so she could relax. "Here. I'll ask about getting you something practical to wear while you recover a bit. Hells, I should get a change of clothes too. These need a bath as much as I do."

DragonSong

"No, I'm fine, I just--" she started to protest automatically, then sighed and allowed him to guide her to the larger sofa. "Okay," she mumbled, letting her head tip back as she all but collapsed onto it. "Just--don't strain yourself, alright? You've gotta be worse off than I am."

She realized how that sounded and winced. "Er, not that--I mean, just...be careful?"

MadEmperor

"I will. I promise." He gave her an assuring smile, smirking as he moved for the door. "I'll watch out for the maid though; she looks sneaky."

He peeked out into the hall and waved someone down as he stepped out. The door closed behind him and she was alone.

DragonSong

The moment she was left alone, Kiara crumpled. She curled in on herself on the sofa and squeezed her eyes shut against a sudden tide of tears that seemed to stem from a sense of helplessness and just pure exhaustion.

She managed to pull herself back together by the time Grav returned with a change of clothes, which she donned gratefully; she was so eager to be out of the dress that she didn't even bother to find a proper room to change in, just ducking behind the chaise and trusting that Grav would keep his back turned when she told him firmly, "Don't look."

While to be in breeches again was a welcome relief, that still left them waiting on the Hallises to return and tell them...well. What exactly was happening. It had to have been over an hour by the time one of the maids ducked back into the parlor where they were waiting and laid out a tray with tea and sandwiches.

"Courtesies of Master Aneas," she told them with a small smile. "He mentioned the two of you must be hungry."

"Bless the man," Kiara sighed, snatching up a sandwich and all but cramming it into her mouth as the maid retreated. "Here, eat something." She pushed the tray toward Grav.

It didn't take long to down her first sandwich, and with the rumbling in her stomach somewhat quieted, she was finally able to focus passed some of her anxieties and impatience.

"...I've been a right tit, haven't I?" she realized with a sigh, settling onto a chaise and looking at Grav guiltily. "I'm sorry. I just--I got so caught up in everything that's happening, I just... How are you? Really?"