Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

An Inn on the Road to Selevea [DragonSong]

Started by MadEmperor, January 14, 2023, 03:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadEmperor

Grav was hoping for Eyepatch to put all his strength into an overhead swing. He twisted, angling his sword downward to let the attack slide down the length of the blade. He grabbed one of Eyepatch's forearms with his free hand and tugged in an effort to turn the man's momentum against him.

The two outlaws that went after Kiara fell to the ground, clutching their throats as their lifeblood spilled through their fingers.

The others kept crossbows, swords, and one spear trained on Kit. They were ready to attack as soon as the duel ended.

DragonSong

When the bigger man stumbled, clearly taken off-guard, a low muttering went through the remaining cronies. Eyepatch glared and spat a curse, spinning to swipe low at Grav's legs with his sword--but feinted and made a jab for his ribs instead.

Kit snarled, drawing the attention of four of the remaining six outlaws, one of which shifted his crossbow and called nervously, "Boss?" as the dragons snorted smoke.

They didn't need to know Kit was currently incapable of breathing fire.

I can take the rest, the dragon told his rider, catching a glimpse of her shadow flicking through the trees behind the furthest threat.

Not without your fire, not before they get a good hit in on you. Kiara crept soundlessly up behind the man and swung an arm around his neck, dragging him down into the undergrowth and swiftly cutting his throat. He barely had time to make a noise of surprise--but it was enough.

"What the--" The next closest outlaw turned, saw her, and fired with a shout: "Oi! Over here!"

Too late. Kit sprang forward, teeth and claws glinting as he knocked into three of the men who turned toward where Kiara was still crouched over the body.

"Damnit." She got to her feet, barely darting away from the next bolt. "Grav! Get out of there!"

MadEmperor

Grav parried the blow just in time, but it was awkward, and the outlaw's blade cut shallowly across his side. He pulled away just as one of the men not engaging Kiara and Kit shot a bolt in his direction. It narrowly missed him, embedding itself in a tree. 

"I guess the duel's off then!" He grinned, enjoying himself far too much for someone who was quite possibly losing. 

The other remaining outlaw lunged, but Grav was definitely better than him. The young adventurer parried and countered, getting the man across the belly. He went down with a cry. 

Grav decided to deal with taking a life later and made for Kiara's position. "So... maybe I bit off a liiittle more than I can chew."

DragonSong

"Down!"

Just as he reached her, Kiara grabbed his shoulder and dropped, yanking him down with her as another crossbow bolt sailed over their heads. She popped her head back up, trying to figure out which of the remaining men—Eyepatch of his lackey—was the more immediate threat.

Then Kit's jaws came down on the last man with a crunch, quite succinctly answering that question for her. She scrambled to her feet, dagger in one hand and a throwing knife in the other.

"You don't have to die here," she told Eyepatch, voice steely. "But I doubt anyone would miss you. Don't push me."

MadEmperor

Eyepatch glared at them with murder in his eyes. "I swear you'll pay for this," he spat. 

Grav gave Kiara and Kit a lightly amused, questioning look. "What do you say? Is threatening revenge really the best idea right now?"

DragonSong

Kiara gave him a look, not quite as amused by the situation. She'd killed, or been complicit in the deaths of, more than half a dozen men in the last five minutes—that didn't mean she relished the idea of another death in her conscience.

But it wouldn't stop her, either.

"You came after us," she told Eyepatch, taking a step back. Kit began to pull back with her. "This didn't have to be a fight. Walk away, and you stay alive."

Kit growled, as though he didn't quite agree with the offer of mercy, but he stayed still.

MadEmperor

Grav realized the true gravity of the situation, and his expression grew somber. The thrill of battle had temporarily overridden his more noble attributes. Now that it was fading, he had begun to feel the weight of what they had done. 

Eyepatch gave them one last evil glare before turning tail to escape with his life. There was little doubt that he would spin a very different version of events—likely an ambush by at least a dozen men. 

"We did what we had to... right?" he asked, a tremble in his voice betraying his inner turmoil at taking a life. 

DragonSong

Kiara watched the man go, only allowing the tension to bleed from her body when he was out of sight. She gave Grav a look that was caught somewhere between weary and sympathetic.

"...You're hurt," she said after a long moment, rather than answer his question. "Here, lemme see..."

She gestured to his side, which seemed to still be bleeding from the blow Eyepatch had managed to score on him. Moving to stand in front of him, eyes on the wound rather than his face, she murmured, "It was them or us. We picked us." She gestured for him to lift his shirt so she could get at the wound. "...Was that your first kill?"

Kit rumbled, lowering his head though he did not lay back down as he had before they were attacked. Despite his injuries, the dragon was clearly ready to move.

MadEmperor

"Yeah," Grav sighed as he lifted his shirt, "I've only ever dueled before. I... didn't think it would be so... easy."

He was troubled by how effortless the kill was—almost an afterthought. He hadn't even hesitated one bit, which surprised him. The fact that it kept him alive was a cold comfort.

The wound along his ribs was a shallow cut about two inches long. Thankfully, it was clean, with no ragged edges to be seen. He had been lucky.

No wonder he was cocky if he had never had a real fight before—one to the death. People held back when life wasn't at stake.

DragonSong

"Mm." Kiara eyed the cut, then started fishing through her pouch for what was left of the healing salve that she'd used on Kit. "It isn't always."

She dabbed a bit of the salve over the wound, then scrounged up the last of the clean linens she typically used for wrapping. Tying the bandaging off quickly, she added, "If it wasn't you, it would've been someone else. Men who decide picking a fight with a dragon is a good path to coin tend not to live long anyway."

MadEmperor

"Then I'm glad I didn't end up fighting Kit." He gave her a weak, lopsided smile. "You must think me a proper fool, strutting about like I can't possibly lose."

Reality was hitting him hard. She could see him replaying his past victories in his head, seeing them in a new light. It was very different when your opponent wanted you dead.

DragonSong

She snorted, nodding. "On your own? You'd have been a nice snack, even with the state he's in," she joked lightly.

Then she looked up, saw his expression, and her own clouded. "Hey."

She gripped his arm firmly, trying to draw his attention back to her. "Remember what I said before? About heart?" She gave his arm a little shake. "I meant that. It's too easy to lose out here--yeah, a real fight it probably different from what you're used to. But don't let that change who you are, okay?"

MadEmperor

"What good is heart if other people have to kill for me? If I had been better, more resolute to kill, then you two wouldn't have had to take the rest on your own."

He was overlooking the fact that if he hadn't been here, they would have had to face all nine alone and without a distraction. It could have been much worse.

DragonSong

"Well, aren't we confident." Kiara smirked at him. "Who's to say we wouldn't let you even have that one, if we didn't need the distraction."

She was joking, but she hoped it helped. She'd never been good with this sort of thing—sincerity, emotion. Ick. Eyeing him carefully, she added a little more soberly, "Listen, if you need to back out...no hard feelings." She glanced at Kit, then exhaled sharply. "We...tend to get into our share of scrapes."

MadEmperor

Grav straightened his posture and visibly shook off his vulnerable moment. He wasn't good with serious emotional moments himself. He usually made jokes and silly banter to break the tension.

"No. I don't back down on my word. Besides," he said, smirking, "Someone has to keep you two out of trouble. Just think of me as a good luck charm."

He wasn't sure he was good luck to have around anymore, but he wouldn't be himself if dwelled on it.

DragonSong

"There ya go, puppy." Kiara thumped the back of her hand against his chest with a quick smirk. "Well, you're as patched up as I can manage. We should probably get on the road sooner rather than later."

She glanced in the direction Eyepatch had gone and worried her lower lip for a moment. "No telling if there're more where that lot came from." She glanced back at Kit. "Think you're up for a bit of a trek."

The dragon snorted, nodding firmly. "I'm fine."

"Bullshit, but I s'pose we don't have a lot of options." She sighed, ran a hand back through her hair, then shook herself. "Right. Onward, then?"

MadEmperor

"Onward! To adventure!" He gestured ahead theatrically. "And lots of walking! Really, adventure is mostly walking!"

The goofy adventurer let her lead the way. This wasn't his "quest" after all. His story might not be beginning how he had always imagined, but he was happy to have made some friends. One was even a dragon!

DragonSong

Both Kit and Kiara groaned dramatically and said in twin tones of disgust, "Walking."

Kiara shot their new traveling companion a quick grin as the little group set out from their sheltered hillock. "Once Kit's feeling better, you should see how we really go adventuring."

MadEmperor

Grav beamed like a child receiving a much-wished-for toy as a gift. "I want nothing more at this moment."

He didn't know if Kit could carry two or if she was even offering that, but seeing a dragon fly would be amazing enough. Well, a dragon not trying to roast him.

DragonSong

Kit huffed at them both and Kiara laughed, then picked up her pace a bit--not enough to strain Kit's wounds, but certainly quicker than a "wander". They had places to be, after all.

Leaving the small village and it's potential dangers behind seemed to lighten her step. She was amiable enough to conversation as they walked, but she didn't offer many details about herself or Kit--mostly she joked, or told wildly embellished tales of jobs she and the dragon had completed in the past, all with a lopsided grin that made it clear she wasn't being entirely serious.