Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Macabre Machinations of Moebius [Inv. Anton Volke]

Started by Squeeman, February 08, 2023, 01:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squeeman

Moebius lowered his mask so that his chin and mouth were covered again, then he stabbed a piece of tuber with his fork and held it to the flame of one of the candles. It took a few moments for the fire to spread to the food, as it was not overly dry and the candle was dim and cool as far as flames go. And yet, it lit, and the flame consumed the scrap from Moebius' fork.

He whispered a few words in that old, Adelan tongue again... and all of the candles and the hearth's fire dimmed. The air grew chill, so cold that Anton's breath showed as white mist. Moebius' breath, however, did not show.

"Pardon, a good king makes sure his servants are fed as well. As for other deals, keep to your end of our current bargain first, and I shall remember your kindness, honesty, and competence in the future."

The words upon the page became clearer in his mind's eye. Yes, Zodia had been some minor god of magic and knowledge with conflicting legends and myths that were only dimly remembered when the book he had read had been first penned, about a century ago. Some believed that Zodia was the source of all magic, or a representation of the full power a mortal mage might reach if they became learned enough in mystical lore. Another legend said that Zodia had been the one to teach the first mortal mages how to perform spellcraft without a god's aid. Of course, even in the time when Zodia had been given temples and public rituals, he, she, or they had been relatively minor. A god of upper-class scholars and augurs, not common folk.

Which raised the question as to why Anton Volke had brought the name up. As far as Moebius knew, Zodia was not a member of the Serennian pantheon, and was quite obscure to even the learned. So how did Anton know that name? Why did Anton bring that name up in casual conversation? Was it some sort of test or code? Perhaps, perhaps...

Moebius stared in the direction of Anton as he remembered and pondered, waiting for the other man to speak.

MadEmperor

The display was a mere parlor trick, but Volke could feel the power behind it. It would have to be enough. Angering the necromancer at this point would accomplish nothing. It was better to play along with his delusions of grandeur for now.

"I can accept your terms. Besides, I never knew undead minions could cook such a delightful meal from wild ingredients." He smiled flatly, but politely before taking another bite.

Squeeman

"It is because they remember their deeds and position in life. The skeletons were all servants once, to ancient kings. The man with flesh on himself was a skilled hunter and forester, with much knowledge of how to butcher and clean game and fish."

Moebius lit another piece of his food on the flames of the nearest candle, feeding his still intangible servants in that strange way as it burned.

"Most necromancers merely animate the body, and infuse it with a bit of their own energies. Thus, the corpse only knows what their master knows."

The piece of tuber that he had been burning was consumed rather quickly by the fire. Moebius stabbed another morsel on his plate, this time a piece of wild onion, and held it to the candle.

"They know much of necromancy, but nothing of mundane tasks, unless their master knows, for they are bound to and of him. This is why many necromancers rely on mortal servants for specialized skills, and why their servants fall with their master. Whereas I find the soul, or echoes thereof, of those whose corpses I raise. They no longer dream of death and the afterlife, but walk with us, half-awake, docile, and bound."

MadEmperor

Volke nodded along with the explanation, digesting the information like a delicious side-dish. "Not unlike how my alchemical creations maintain the instincts of the various creatures that compose them. I use my life magic to bind the spirits of my subjects together as one, carefully removing that which doesn't serve my needs."

He gave a genuine smile, though still a wary one. "Our schools of magic need not be at odds. They are but two sides of the same coin."

Squeeman

Moebius calmly burned yet another piece of food as offering for his host of spirits. This little parlay session was going better than he had expected. There had been no need to call down his reinforcements and bleed the bastard magician who sat at his table like a stuck pig. Instead, Moebius would be getting everything he wanted, and Anton Volke would be getting everything he wanted. Volke probably even thought he was getting off easy.

He probably thought he could steal the book out from under Moebius the second the "mad" king turned his back.

But Moebius wasn't going to be unprepared. He wasn't going to let Volke steal his prize. He might, however, give the magician he believed to be his lesser a few scraps as a reward. If he could get more information on that Zodia comment. Not that night, though. Not yet.

"I suppose so. Life begets death, after all. Though... I would argue that not all things live... but all things die..."

The last scraps of Moebius' food had been consumed by the candle flame, and were little more than bits of ash and burned grease on his table. He set his fork upon his plate, and set down his drinking bowl.

"I suppose this has been a productive meeting, yes?"

MadEmperor

All things that live may die, but death in turn nurtures life. Death? Nothing but a stage in process. But, perhaps he wouldn't steal the book for himself. All he needed would be to have the Society scribes loyal to him to transcribe what spells he wanted.

"I agree. Here's to our mutually beneficial arrangement." Volke held his glass in a toast.

Squeeman

Moebius sighed and repressed a grumble at his hint not being heard by Volke. Then, he picked up his own cup and touched the rim of it to the rim of Volke's. The wine in both cups sloshed and slid slightly.

"Yes, to our mutual benefit and a good relationship."

Then, he lifted the cup to his lips and sipped at his wine. Once he had done so, The Magnificent Emperor Moebius turned his eyes to the door.

"I suppose you must be going, yes? Wouldn't want the neighbors to think you've left for the night or wonder where you are..."

MadEmperor

He took on a pragmatic, if slightly haughty, air. "I have enough land to myself that my neighbors know little of my comings and goings. But, yes, I should depart. Even I need sleep."

He finished off his wine and stood. With a small bow of respect, he said, "I must thank you for such an... unexpected evening. I am pleased that violence proved unnecessary."