Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Message in a Fireball

Started by MadEmperor, March 16, 2023, 05:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadEmperor

"Not here," he answered quietly.

Seated in a tavern, he told them what exactly happened when he got himself cursed, about the mysterious trader, and about getting carried away defending himself from muggers. "I ended up hiding in a mill house, terrified and confused with what was happening to me. That was when River found me."

DragonSong

"Awww." Hana smirked, giving the wolf shifter a knowing look. "Just a magnet for trouble you two, huh?"

River rolled her eyes. "Look, there was a blood trail out of town. You're telling me you wouldn't want to find out what was going on?"

"I mean, sure." Hana shrugged. "But I probably wouldn't end up mated to whatever I found."

River huffed. "Well. That part wasn't exactly planned."

MadEmperor

"I mean... it was my blood." Kah reached over to touch River's hand. "And I'm thankful every day that she went looking."

Thrax smirked at Hana's comment. "You did chase a possessed gnoll across lower Adela for as many weeks as you knew him. For friendship."

DragonSong

"Hey, no one said I was above chasing tail," Hana joked, but there was just the barest flicker of something like uncertainty behind the playful light in her eyes. He was right—she had done that.

"Well!" Shaking her head quickly, she gave River and Kahroan a quick smile across the table. "Where are you two off to then? Mountains again?"

MadEmperor

"That's where we were going before we got your message. So, I assume we still are." Kahroan gave River a questioning, sidelong look. "Unless that's changed."

DragonSong

River sighed with a small, slightly wistful smile. "A part of me thinks one more job wouldn't hurt," she said with a little laugh. "But the sensible side of me thinks...yeah. It's probably time to head back to pack. Get at least somewhat settled before these little ones make an appearance." Her hand fluttered down to rest on her lower belly. Even in the last few weeks, she had started to fill out a little; not much, just enough that it showed occasionally.

Hana matched her smile. "Guess we should send you lot on your way then, huh?"

MadEmperor

"Oh! How about a song, for old time's sake?" Thrax grinned eagerly. "Anything you'd like."

Kahroan smiled and looked at his mate. "Well? What do you think?"

DragonSong

River laughed and nodded. "Alright, Thrax. A song sounds nice." She linked her fingers through Kahroan's and smiled up at him. "You have a preference?"

"Know any sappy love songs?" Hana laughed, leaning over to nudge Thrax's shoulder with hers.

MadEmperor

Thrax smirked. "I think I know just the one."

"Go for it." Kah nodded, leaning against River.

Thrax scooted his chair back and took up Stormsong. "Bear with me; I haven't gotten around to writing any lyrics yet." With that said, he began to play. It was beautifully romantic for such a rowdy musician.

DragonSong

River leaned into Kahroan as Thrax began to play. Then she got abruptly to her feet and reached out one hand to her mate. "Dance with me," she urged quietly, smiling gently.

Hana curled one tail around into her lap, drawing her opposite leg up onto her chair and letting her head fall back as she closed her eyes and just listened to the music with a small smile on her face.

MadEmperor

Kahroan stood up and took her hand in his draconic one. "Are you sure? I've never danced on these feet, and a prayer dance doesn't count," he asked nervously.

DragonSong

"Of course I'm sure." River smiled and pulled him close, swaying gently from side to side to the rhythm of Thrax's music.

Hana found herself watching them with a small, sort of wistful smile. "It's kind of crazy that they found each other, isn't it?" she murmured softly to Thrax.

MadEmperor

"It's a remarkable thing when two wandering stars are aligned forever by fate's fickle hand," Thrax answered poetically.

"Ooh, I need to write that down."

Kahroan followed his mate's lead, awkwardly shuffling along with her movements. He narrowly avoided stepping on her foot, and he gave her an embarrassed look. "Sorry I'm not better at this."

DragonSong

River laughed and settled her hands on his waist, spinning them around carelessly. "You're perfect," she told him, beaming, and reached up to draw his face down to hers, nuzzling her nose against his briefly.

"Oooh, aren't you fancy," Hana teased with a little chuckle, leaning over to flick the bard's ear gently.

MadEmperor

Kahroan rumbled happily at the tender contact. "This really is a beautiful song. Thrax is more sensitive than he lets on."

Thrax smirked. "I have my moments. Besides, can't be a very good bard without being able to spout poetic nonsense."

DragonSong

"Always the way with his type, isn't it?" River chuckled quietly, glancing to where the other two were sitting and talking quietly, Hana having scooched her chair a little closer to the bard's while he played. Smirking, River looked back to her mate and added meaningfully, "Their type, I suppose."

Hana smiled gently, looking away from Thrax and murmuring, "I wouldn't necessarily call that nonsense..."

MadEmperor

"That does seem to be the way." Kah smiled, surreptitiously watching the kitsune most definitely not having any romantic thoughts.

Thrax sighed. "Okay, fine, I'm as romantic at heart as any bard. You happy?" he grudgingly admitted.

DragonSong

"Very," Hana teased, sticking her tongue out at him briefly. "That's what I'm here for: to force you to confront your gooey, squishy center."

As the song started to come to a close, River slowed her swaying and slid her arms up around Kahroan's neck, letting her brow come to rest against his and closing her eyes with a very small sigh.

MadEmperor

"Ixnay on the uishqay entercay." Thrax frowned playfully. "Someone might hear you."

Kahroan sighed contentedly, wearing a loving expression. "I love you no less today than the day I fell for you. Perhaps even more."

DragonSong

"Awww, don't worry." Hana grinned and leaned in toward him slightly. "Your secret is safe with me."

River's cheeks colored gently and she tipped her head up to kiss his cheek. "And I you," she answered quietly.

Parting reluctantly, she laced her fingers through his and let her head cock slightly to one side. "C'mon, it's getting late. We should probably see if this place has any rooms available."