Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Catch a Falling Star

Started by MadEmperor, March 11, 2023, 05:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadEmperor

The little ones skittered away as Grav looked up, as if they were in trouble for talking to strangers. He gulped. "Thaaat's not good."

"Maybe if we don't make any sudden mo--" He was interrupted by an angry hiss as the mother ran down a column and towards them.

"Yeah, run!" The adventurer scrambled to his feet and supported Kiara as they fled.

DragonSong

Kiara yelped, finding herself spun quickly in place as Grav's reflexes kicked in faster than hers and he wound up hauling her along for two steps before her body caught up with her brain.

"That thing..is huge," she panted as they ran. "There's gotta be a--a crack somewhere...we can hide!" She didn't like their chances of getting to the ruined temple before the mama lizard caught up with them; damn thing was fast.

MadEmperor

Grav didn't like their chances either, but was more worried about there being more than one angry adult lizard around. "I don't see anything!" he shouted as he cut down some large crystals to crash down between them and the creature.

The adult crashed into the barrier with a hiss. But instead of scrambling around, the brilliant red crystals on its body lit up. The barrier started to shine the same color and simply parted for it.

"Aaand they're magical. Wonderfull," he muttered sarcastically.

DragonSong

"Oh of fucking course." Kiara's mind was racing. Underground. Crystals. What would—

Oh.

Oh.

Well. This was either going to go really well, or it was going to be a disaster.

"Keep running!" she shouted at Grav just in case it was the latter, and she spun to face the charging lizard.

She hadn't used her magic in over a month—and even before that, she'd mostly been using Kit's fire as a base for it, which was significantly easier than summoning flames herself.

That wasn't an option just now. She threw her hands out with a muttered prayer in Sylvan, and fire leaped from her palms, striking the ground just in front of the lizard's feet.

It seemed to work; fire wasn't a typically naturally occurring part of this animal's environment, and she screeched and reeled back quickly, scampering to put distance between herself and the bright, hot foreign substance.

MadEmperor

"C'mon, that won't keep her long." Grav grabbed her arm and pulled her along.

He ran through a shallow pool, hoping to disrupt their scent trail a little. As he ran further, he accidentally bumped a big mushroom, which released a cloud of fragrant spores.

"Gah! Gross! Lookout for those!"

DragonSong

"R-right." She staggered after him, a sudden sense of vertigo nearly knocking her feet out from under her before she managed to right herself and worked to keep up with Grav's longer strides.

Though she tried to avoid them, she was panting heavily, and inhaling some of the spores made her cough and sputter. "Fh-fhuck," she choked out.

MadEmperor

Stinky spores? That's perfect!

"Wait!" He stopped to chuck some loose rocks at several mushrooms behind them, releasing a cloud of spores to confuse the reptile. "I'd like to see her follow us now!" he whooped before running onward.

DragonSong

"Are you sure that's a good idea? We don't know what these things are, or what they might do!" Kiara called as she raced after him. Well, she thought she was racing--he was steadily starting to pull ahead of her, no matter how hard she pumped her legs. She couldn't tell if it was magical over-extension, or maybe something to do with those spores, or even both, but she was flagging must faster than she should have been.

MadEmperor

Grav was panting as well, coughing from the direct spray of spores he received. "Well we weren't *cough* exposed to anything more than that first spray, now were we?"

Once he was satisfied they were sufficiently far enough to be out of sight, he stopped. Resting his hands on his knees, he said, "I think we've lost her."

DragonSong

"Y-yeah..." Kiara leaned against the nearest crystal stalagmite, her head spinning. "Shit...that was...whuff."

She slid down to the ground, her legs simply refusing to support her weight anymore. "What...the fuck...was that?"

MadEmperor

Grav was suddenly hit with whatever toxin was in the spores; his resistance was spent. He groaned and slid down next to her. "I think maybe... poison... Shit..."

He gave a rueful, hysterical laugh. "Please... please tell me my butt didn't just get us killed..."

DragonSong

Kiara chuckled faintly where she was leaning against the trunk of crystal l. "Well, all things considered...your butt...could've got us into...worse scrapes..." she muttered, clearly fading fast.

With the exhaustion from using her magic already dragging at the edges of her consciousness, the poison from the spores really had very little work to do.

Her lashes fluttered, then her head lolled back and her shoulder pressed heavily into his as she swiftly lost consciousness.

MadEmperor

Grav shook her with slowly growing weakness. "Kiara?! Kiara?!" he pleased.

"Kiara?" He nudged her. "Kia...ra..."

"Kiiaaraaaa..."

His eyes fluttered shut.

Water splashed her in the face. "Wakey wakey, eggs and bakey! a rude voice said, dripping with mean-spirited humor.

DragonSong

Kiara sputtered as she was jerked abruptly awake, trying to force her vision to stop spinning.

"What the fuck was that?" she gasped. Then, suddenly and fiercely: "Oh gods—Grav? Grav! Where...? What...?"

She blearily reached out to her connection with Kit as she looked around, trying to get her bearings.

MadEmperor

She was now in a stone room, crumbling after perhaps millennia of neglect. Some of the strange glowing crystals lighting the cavern had been brought in as light sources. Water dripping from a crack in the ceiling had formed a tall, sturdy column of limestone. Of more immediate concern, however, was the fact that she was tied to it, and neither Grav nor Kit were there to answer her.

A large Serenian man squatted down before her, green eyes curious and cruel. He was powerfully built, with thick, beefy arms, and with a face that had clearly been punched too many times. "Good. You're awake. Next, I would have had to cause some pain," he said, as if he were disappointed that he didn't get to.

DragonSong

Fuck.

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.

Kiara narrowed her eyes at her captor, trying to subtly twist her wrists back and forth to judge the strength of her bonds.

Pretty strong.

Damnit.

"Where's my friend?" she demanded, not really expecting an answer but needing to ask anyway. Needing to try. "Who the hells are you? How did you get down here?"

MadEmperor

"I'll answer your questions if you answer mine. Okay, love?" He didn't wait for an agreement; he just pressed on. "We were more than a bit surprised to find you two here. You see, we have eyes on the passage in. So, what I'm wondering is, how did you find your way down here?"

DragonSong

Passage in. There was an actual passage in.

She filed that away to fully unpack later, but there was the faintest thrill of hope in her chest--if the passage was big enough, Kit could get to them.

Outwardly, she kept her expression blank, staring the man down. "You first, love," she spat, as though she wasn't the one tied to a limestone spear. She smirked a bit and quirked an eyebrow. "Y'know, typically for the whole interrogation thing to work, you've gotta have leverage. For all I know, you've already killed my friend. Why should I tell you anything?"

Please please please let this guy be stupid enough to let something slip...

MadEmperor

The man laughed. "Oh, I so like 'em with spunk!" He grinned. "For that, I'll give you a crumb."

"Our employer very much needs him alive. You, on the other hand, we don't need. Is your life not enough leverage? I'm sure the boss would love to use you as a test subject if that would make you talk."

DragonSong

Oh thank gods, he was alive. And...Boss. So they were working for someone. Someone who was interested in Grav.

She had a bad feeling she knew who that was.

She repressed a shudder at the words "test subject" and snapped something uncomplimentary in Sylvan, then snarled, "Go ahead, asshole. I'm not telling you shit."

It was a gamble, but if he meant it about the "test subject" thing...she had a better chance talking to the boss directly than to the hired muscle. She hoped. She just had to piss him off enough that he decided she wasn't worth the trouble, but not so much he just killed her to shut her up. Great.