Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Catch a Falling Star

Started by MadEmperor, March 11, 2023, 05:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadEmperor

"Then the decision is made," the mage said with a nod, "I'll be right back." He moved to his laboratory table to retrieve something, giving the two a moment to talk.

Whatever you're going to do, do it!

"Kia, please, don't..." Grav's plea was shaky and desperate. "I can't... I can't live with this... I..." He couldn't bring himself to say the rest. But he had never called her Kia before.

DragonSong

I'm trying, I'm trying! There was the barest tremor through the caverns even as he said it. I can't...get...through!

Kiara wrapped her fingers around the bars of her cell and let her forehead rest against them. She laughed, tired and entirely unamused. "I'm not long for the mortal world anyway, Puppy," she told him quietly. "One way or another. At least this way I can...do something good. Help you."

She squeezed her eyes shut, the way he'd said her name echoing in her ears. "I'm sorry," she managed to force out through gritted teeth as her chest went tight with emotion. "You're the best non-dragon friend I've ever had, and I love you, and I'm sorry."

She didn't mean it romantically; yes, her occasionally embarrassing crush was a large part of how she felt about him, of course it was, but in this moment... She just meant that she loved him as they were now. As the first person who had stuck with her. As the family she had chosen, like the way she loved Kit.

She hoped he understood that. That she wasn't trying to push, it wasn't desperation. She just wanted him to know. In case he didn't already.

MadEmperor

"Ah! There we are." Volke said as he located a syringe. He filled it from a bottle and started walking back toward her.

"I swear you won't get away with this!" Grav shouted, getting angry.

Volke chuckled. "Your threats mean nothing, dear boy. Besides, the lady has made her decision."

He stopped near her cell. "Your arm, if you please."

DragonSong

There were plenty of animals that interpreted eye contact as a threat, a challenge to dominance. Kiara seemed to be channeling all of them as she held Volke's stare and thrust her arm through the bars.

She smiled, but it was more an expression of bared teeth. "My dragon is going to rip you apart," she told him in an almost sing-song voice, desperately shoving her fear down to be dealt with later.

If there was a later.

MadEmperor

"I have methods of dealing with dragons." The mage seemed unconcerned as he plunged the needle into her arm.

Grav had felt nothing at first. She, on the other hand, felt an odd chill run up her arm as Volke backed out of reach.

DragonSong

Kiara shivered as the chill spread from the point of injection along her body, seeming to follow her nervous system incredibly quickly. That was certainly not what had happened to Grav, but then again, she didn't know anything about alchemy. Maybe he'd "improved" the serum.

She didn't think it was likely. "What...did you..."

Her vision started to swim. She slumped to one side.

And of course, that was when Kit broke through the first layer of crystal. His voice rang in her head, clearer than it had been in hours but faint, as she felt her heartbeat starting to slow.

Kiara...coming. Hold on...

"I'm sorry," she whispered, out loud and in her mind. "I'm sorry..."

Her heart beat once, then seemed to struggle to beat again. She couldn't get enough air. It was so cold...

She collapsed to the ground, color quickly draining from her skin. Her chest rose laboriously once, fell...then didn't rise again.

MadEmperor

"No!" Grav shouted with more fury than he thought he could feel. "What did you do?!"

Volke faced him with a smirk, only able to see his subject's eyes in his dark cell. "Think of it this way: She'll never have to see what you're going to become."

Grav felt his heart thump faster as he was overtaken by an animalistic fury that even Kit could feel. He felt his humanity slip away as he rapidly mutated into something else.

Volke smiled triumphantly as his newest creation bashed itself against the bars of its cell with a strange, savage roar.

DragonSong

Kiara? Kiara!

She wasn't answering. It didn't feel like the lich's illusion, as though their connection was blocked. It felt like it was...broken.

Kit's roar echoed Grav's, reverberating off the crystal walls as he finally tore through the weak point in the fissure and crashed fully into the main cavern where the ruins of the temple sat.

"Uh, boss?" One of the mercenaries poked his head into the lab, looking nervous to be entering the space at all. "We...seem to have a problem."

MadEmperor

Volke faced the mercenary, temporarily annoyed. The expression became more neutral as he asked. "I believe that's what I pay you people to take care of."

Outside, men scattered to take cover from the inevitable dragonfire while others opened fire with Connloathian rifles.

DragonSong

"Errr...right. Of course, boss, but ahh..." The mercenary swallowed, eyes flicking briefly toward the current "experiment" flinging himself against cage bars to the deathly still body lying in the other cell.  "See, no one was actually...expecting a dragon. If there's anything--anything you've got that we could use to give us some sorta advantage here..."

The merc had clearly been sent by someone else, and seemed to be uncomfortable with being an errand boy on this particular sort of errand.

MadEmperor

Volke sighed. The wretched beast shouldn't have been able to get in. "Very well, I'll release the dragon beetles. Tell your boss to get her men back; they are highly aggressive. And send her and Rathbourne to me. I could use their assistance."

When the merc left, he walked to a cell with narrow gaps between the bars and pulled a lever. The ceiling of the cell began to slide open, and the restless inhabitants swarmed the opening.

DragonSong

Kit had never heard of "dragon beetles", but it didn't take him long to decide he didn't like them. At. All.

While the Connlaothian rifles were an inconvenience, his scales were resilient enough to deter a majority of the shots, and even the bullets that did hit merely cracked or dented a few scales, they couldn't pierce his natural armor.

Unlike the massive insects' stingers, which must have been either specially evolved or created to cut through a dragon's defenses. After the second one to make it through his fire managed to slice a gash across his shoulder, logic finally broke through the haze of rage to force him to fight rationally. He was still breaking through Volke's defenses, but more slowly, methodically.

The mercenary had muttered a quick, "Yes, boss, of course, boss," before fleeing the lab. It didn't take long for Rathbourne and the red-haired woman to take his place in the doorway.

"You asked for us?"

MadEmperor

The three insects came at the dragon from different angles, attempting to slash his wings in an effort to bring him down. Fire didn't seem to deter them; they were built to hunt dragons after all. Or, at least, the common dracarys pyro.

Volke looked to the mercs. "I'm going to need help keeping the subject on task. Your abilities will be a good deterrent."

DragonSong

Fire was Kit's main weapon, but it wasn't his only one; when he realized the beetles didn't seem much deterred, he started slashing with long, curved talons. The insects' shells were too hard to pierce easily--but their armor overlapped the way a more regular beetle's would.

It took a few tries, but Kit managed to get his claws hooked under the seam of one of the bug's thorax and ripped into it with sickening crack that echoed strangely off the crystal.

The few mercenaries who had been taking pot shots at the dragon while the beetles kept him distracted started to fall back. Quickly.

"And...how exactly do we do that?" the lead mercenary asked a little warily, shooting his "subject" a calculating look.

MadEmperor

The beetle let out a final shriek before Kit ripped it in half. The other two became even more aggressive, trying to land on him. Stinger already poised, one came at his belly while the other came at his back.

"You'll see. For now, follow me." He led them down a flight of stairs to a chamber open to a lower region of the cavern accessible by no other path, save flight. Ancient columns lined a path leading to a passage deeper underground.

"Just get the subject to flee that way," he said. "I don't care how many men it takes."

"But don't go in yourselves. The poison gas inside will kill you."

DragonSong

Kit was wide to the beetles' tactics now, and he reared up to feint a slash at the one coming for his underbelly, making himself an even better target for the one coming at his back.

It was a risk, but one that paid off; the beetle at his back landed, slashing across the membrane of his left wing, just as the other darted under his forelegs, going for the most vulnerable patch of scales.

And he dropped like a stone, almost instantly crushing the beetle underneath him, then rolled quickly onto his back. Rolling was not typically a move dragons employed, save in the air--but Kit had grown up wrestling with a very human playmate. The beetles had not been prepared for the move, and though the one on his back survived--barely--it was dazed enough that he made quick work of it, flipping it onto it's back and cracking it open as he had the first.

The one beneath him was still twitching feebly. He growled and bit down on its stinger, ripping it free viciously before slamming both front paws down on it to thoroughly crush it.

The jet dragon swung his head toward the temple and snarled; the sound thrummed through the entirety of the cavern, echoing along corridors and bouncing off crystal until all the air was thick with it.

"Poison? But--our men--"

"Understood, sir," the mercenary leader said, cutting Rathbourne off. "We'll get it done."

MadEmperor

When the roar echoed down into the lower cavern, Volke looked at the opening above. "Something tells me you don't have much time." He started back up the stairs. "Pull that lever to release the subject when you're in position. I'll keep the dragon occupied."

Rathbourne frowned after Volke left. "Are you sure about this, boss? Poison or not, I don't like it. We're just chess pieces to this guy."

DragonSong

The dragon in question wasn't too concerned with finding a proper way into the temple ruins; he just started smashing stone apart. With the link to Kiara gone--gone, gone, gone, no, not now, can't think about it now-- he had to rely on the tenuous connection with Grav. Though no more words were coming through the link, it was still there, and he could still use it to track him down.

"For what he's paying, I'll be a damn playing card," Rahtbourne's companion retorted. "Round up some men and get to your post."

It didn't take long for the mercenaries to file themselves into position, their leader taking her place at the lever. She held up a hand, three fingers extended, and put them down one at a time.

Three.

Two.

One.

MadEmperor

A platform was lowered, and the cage atop it opened. The large creature that emerged didn't resemble Grav in the slightest. It was barely humanoid, with limbs designed as much for upright movement as they were for quadrupedal. It crawled out on splayed hands and feet, toes tipped with crystalline claws of some golden-yellow mineral.

It growled at the mercenaries through a muzzle that seemed part lion and part lizard, its mouth lined with sharp teeth. A mane of crystal spines clinked against each other as it turned to stare at the lead mercenary, singling out the dominant person. Its tufted reptilian tail lashed angrily behind it as the monstrous predator charged with a snarl.

DragonSong

The mercenaries closed ranks, using crossbows and a handful of purchased spells to try to drive the creature in the direction Volke wanted.

Grav! There was just enough space in the main cavern for Kit to take flight; he circled the temple, calling out in his mind with words, and trumpeting a dragon's battlecry aloud. Grav, can you hear me?!

The thread of connection was going down. Deeper into the ruins, into the mountain. He couldn't get into the temple itself, he couldn't--

Wait.

The floor of the cavern was thick clusters of crystal. All but one section, which he could see from above was smoother, flatter. Thinner. Like the panes he'd broken through to make his way into the cavern from aboveground.

Fuck, this is going to hurt.

Beating his wings sharply, he rose nearly to the cavern's ceiling, feeling the edges of his wing membrane brush stone; then he folded his wings in tight, tucked his head up under his chest, and went streaking toward the thinner pane of crystal like a comet.