Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

War

Started by Anonymous, October 11, 2005, 10:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

I, and the collected members, want Vharzyym to go to war. Preferably with a major kingdom, such as adela, connlaoth, or serendipity. Just wanna discuss with people and see what can be done, cause nothing interesting is happening and conflict brings out the biggest and most intricate plots. One big battle, if you want, but i was thinking more of an actual *war*. skirmishes, raids, ongoing battles and conflicts over a period of time.

Anonymous

I don't really want to rain on your parade, but I don't think that's going to happen... SotE is having a slug moment because for most places school is in and people are getting piled with homework.... And, as Rhi keeps pointing out... SotE is more about the little individual plots... And, For Adela, Talya isn't here right now and Serendipity has no known ruler at the moment, which leaves Connlaoth and I think Nightcandle is away right now... soo...

I think war is a no-go, as usual...

And besides the activity thing you talked about... Why do you want to RP out war? Do you have -any- idea how boring posting gets after the fifth post of your character dodgeing NPC's and shoting arrows/casting magic/throwing stuff?

>_> And.. why can't the.. Vazzieherum just... fight NPCs from a little unknown clan of... somethings? (because I think that's the closest they'll get to an all out war)

Rhindeer

I think Vharzyym needs to find a rival of some sort, because for now...yeah...war is a no-go. At least where it comes to a kingdom, since all the leaders are away and activity is slow due to school stuffs (but hey, if you wanna boost the activity...help advertise. That would be useful! XD). This activity slump isn't just here, either...on my own advertising sprees, I've looked at the activity levels of other big sites, and it was down all over. Ebil school.

So, it's not just SotE! It's universal! *screams*

I can't wait 'til Winter break. O.O

Anyway! Yeah, the main point of SotE is indeed individual plots and character development. Most people (from my own observations) find fighting interesting in moderation, but just tend to be more interested in their own plots. A BIG plot has to be able to appeal to everyone (or, everyone that would be involved) in some way, and just a war...in my own opinion, it doesn't sound that exciting (at least not exciting enough for me to put my own plots on hold), but that's just because certain people (XP) have been going on about war for a really long time on and on...maybe if there was more to it, more development put into it, then it might sound interesting.

For instance...Vharzyym and any of the other kingdoms and areas have like no relations right now. No one, outside the DMV, even knows Vharzyym exists. A random war would seem pretty...random. I think Vharzyym should actually start out small and actually make a name for itself before it tries something bigger, and it should also attempt to recruit people (as in, actual characters), because a gazillion NPCs and only a few actual player characters is just kind of...unfair. And I don't think it's something other players are going to go along with.

So, yeah, in a nutshell...I think you guys need to recruit and actually make a name for your organization. Having a rival would help that, and to get a rival...again, you'd probably need to start making a name for yourself. Because right now, no characters know about Vharzyym, save those in the DMV.

Some of the most intricate plots also come not from war or battle, but from simply the interactions and relations between individual characters. ^_~ For instance...the group dynamics of Vharzyym. Or questing around for recruits. Simple plot twists and the like.

But, these are only suggestions...I think it would really help if you just started out small and built everything up gradually. People would certainly take the organization, and the characters involved, more seriously then, because right now it isn't much of a threat...because it isn't known and stuff.

After all, it takes work to make plots, ESPECIALLY ones that involve a great deal of people. ^^;; I mean, you can plan out the war and have lotsa complicated plans that involve the war, and put in a LOT of work where it involves all that stuff, but unless the attacking party has been built up, gets a name for itself, and people actually view the faction as a threat, then the whole plot just...isn't going to work. Does that make sense?

Again, just suggestions. These are just my opinions, from what I've observed from my eight years of role-playing here and on different sites. I'm not trying to be insulting; just helpful! I do think Vharzyym has potential! Ya just gotta work with it, and then people might become more interested in it! ^_~ But, of course, these are just my opinions, to help ya. You don't have to listen to them--Vharzyym is yours, after all, so what you do with it is all up to you. Just trying to give some advice.

And I'm willing to help build up a rivalry of sorts, by the way. Or help build one. ^__^ I think it could be fun, because a lot of interesting things could spawn as a result.

<3

EDIT: Wow, that post was very repetitive. *stabs tiredness*
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

QuoteWhy do you want to RP out war? Do you have -any- idea how boring posting gets after the fifth post of your character dodgeing NPC's and shoting arrows/casting magic/throwing stuff?

:shock: have you ever rp'd war?  how can you even say that?  

and about building up vharzyym and getting relationships with other kingdoms first:  me and josh are currently putting plans in place to do just that.  we don't mean we want to fight a war now, this very instant, that would be stupid.  we're just tyring to talk about it now because i really don't feel like doing months to years of prepatory rp just to get shot down by you pre-plotters.  (and yes, that is my new name for you guys).  we're just trying to play by your rules.  if it was up to me, i would discreetly build up vharzyym's strength and then go on a conquering spree with or without permission, starting an awsome large scale war or get banned trying.  but, luckily for everyone else, josh is a little more caring and sensitive towards all the other plots, and has talked me out of it several times.

we're willing to work with you guys here, this isn't gonna be some stupid, sudden fluke.  i know it could take over a year, but i wouldn't have it any other way.

oh,, and about the whole "noone's posting because school just started.  itll pick up at winter break" thing.  when winter break comes, that will be the new excuse, and then itll be school, then spring break, then school, then summer.  hasn't anyone else realized that there is always an excuse as to why people don't post?  it's not true.  i have AP classes, water polo practices every day, water polo games two to three times a week, band practice once a week, field tournaments every weekend, fund raisers, eagle scout work, chores, and a social life and i still find time to come on sote at least four times a week.  I haven't done IC posts in a while because i just haven't felt like it, and i admit it, i dont tyr to blame it on school.  If any of you can show a more crowded schedule than mine, then you can complain about not being able to post, but until then, just take responsibility for your own laziness.

Anonymous

and also, war isnt just fighting.  80% of it is strategy and whatnot.

Rhindeer

Quote from: "D-vad The Conqueror"
QuoteWhy do you want to RP out war? Do you have -any- idea how boring posting gets after the fifth post of your character dodgeing NPC's and shoting arrows/casting magic/throwing stuff?

:shock: have you ever rp'd war?  how can you even say that?
It can definitely be fun if handled the right way! ^^ For instance, if there's more to it than just fighting and strategy. Fighting alone can get boring really fast...I've been in some really fun battles (there were lots of twists, suspense, and character intrigue...it wasn't all straight fighting), and in some horribly boring ones (nothin' but straight fighting). So, it all depends on how it's built up and how it's handled. I think the more people involved to contribute ideas, the better.[/quote]

we're just tyring to talk about it now because i really don't feel like doing months to years of prepatory rp just to get shot down by you pre-plotters.  (and yes, that is my new name for you guys).

QuoteOnly pre-plotters when it comes to huge large-scale plots that would disrupt stuff...like a big war. XP In the case of a big war that a TON of people will be involved with...well, let's just say everyone only planned out the last war because the one prior to that was a disaster, what with the OOC fights that broke out and whatnot. I don't think pre-plotting a war is necessary, per se...if everyone can agree on some rules of engagement ahead of time, because OOC fights are just...not fun. >.<

And it's good it's something you guys planned on taking time to plan out and build up. I gotta admit I did have an image of a random war... XD That's what had worried me.

we're just trying to play by your rules.  if it was up to me, i would discreetly build up vharzyym's strength and then go on a conquering spree with or without permission, starting an awsome large scale war or get banned trying.  but, luckily for everyone else, josh is a little more caring and sensitive towards all the other plots, and has talked me out of it several times.

QuoteNow, now, that rule is there to protect your plot as much as anyone else's plot. You may not see it, but it's true. For one, not only does it ensure no one gets their plot interrupted, but it also makes sure no one ignores your plot by getting it all hashed out ahead of time. It also HELPS your plot by getting more people involved.

I'm more than willing to work with your plot now that I know it's no spur of the moment thing. ^_~

we're willing to work with you guys here, this isn't gonna be some stupid, sudden fluke.  i know it could take over a year, but i wouldn't have it any other way.
[/quote]
Well, in that case...I'm willin' to work, as well. ^^[/quote]

Quoteoh,, and about the whole "noone's posting because school just started.  itll pick up at winter break" thing.  when winter break comes, that will be the new excuse, and then itll be school, then spring break, then school, then summer.  hasn't anyone else realized that there is always an excuse as to why people don't post?  it's not true.  i have AP classes, water polo practices every day, water polo games two to three times a week, band practice once a week, field tournaments every weekend, fund raisers, eagle scout work, chores, and a social life and i still find time to come on sote at least four times a week.  I haven't done IC posts in a while because i just haven't felt like it, and i admit it, i dont tyr to blame it on school.  If any of you can show a more crowded schedule than mine, then you can complain about not being able to post, but until then, just take responsibility for your own laziness.
Nah. After almost five years running this place, activity tends to pick up over the breaks and decline during school days, ESPECIALLY during finals/midterm season. I've picked up on the patterns, so I don't panic when it happens...nor does anyone who's been here a full season. XD People vanish for a while, and then they come back.

Besides, everybody handles their workload differently. You may be able to juggle a lot of different tasks, but not everyone can do that. Everyone has different demands, and meets those demands differently. ^^

But, anyway, I was just reporting on the fact that EVERY SINGLE RPG I have visited to advertise on has been lagging. Visit some of our affiliates and you'll see. It isn't unique here. It's just a fact of the RPG world, unfortunately. XD
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

i think if people don't reply their characters become part of the wave of rp. If a leader is not posting, then that leader, in rp, is "not able to be found" or such, not stopping the whole rp, but yeah, NOTHING else is happening. its people goin "hey look at the birds". Interrupting plots is what its all about. Deal with it, cause none of our plots have EVER been played through, because people complain. When we complain, we get banned, downgraded, ect. But yes, we will be doing skirmishes very soon, no negotiation (sorry noobs), but the war will be the kingdom's decision. If they don't wanna go to war, they can just sit back and watch us conquer stuff while they watch the birds, develpong their oh-so-intense plots of character interaction (though nothins more interacting than a foot of steel in your torso, Venorik's hand on the other end hehe). I was just discussing it, like i've been told to several times, and once again the biased try to shoot it down wothout thinking twice.

Anonymous

Darlig wouldn't be able to participate. He's getting laid at the moment! XD (YAY for character development and BDSM XDDD)

And war, I don't care either way.

If you wanna do it Josh, go for it. Same with D-vad.

I wouldn't be able to help you guys out though....moving, stress from this moving, and alot of other shit associated with my move have my muse running in fear from time to time.

Although I must say, after a while I would like to pull a raid on one of the Temples with my vikings. Maybe have a "Battle of the Gods" so to say. Wouldn't be in a god-modding way, just a small bit of assistance fromt he deities. Simply because that is the viking way. Would be very interesting to see, especially if a good portion of the village got into it.

Rhindeer

One thing has to be said:

If you plan on having your war/skirmish/battle/whatever--no NPCs. Use actual player characters, because it just gets excessive and unfair. And, as said before, I don't think a war on a kingdom is plausable at this point, due to the absense of the leader players right now. Smaller scale battles, certainly. I'm with you guys on this in the sense that you're willing to work on this plot, and that it's something you're willing to put months + of work into. If it were an overnight thing...that'd be a different story, and I'm sorry that I interpreted in the way off the start. ^_~ Like I said, this could be a fun plot if handled correctly. Starting small and building up is the way to go. Hell, I'm even trying to think up characters for a sort of rivalry, just to see how that would go.

I do suggest not being so aggressive/pushy OOC, though. Be a bit more respectful and tactful, and stop spamming peoples' threads with Vharzyym stuff. The attitude, really, is what people have a problem with, and attitude is everything. You need other peoples' assistence and cooperation if you want to carry out a large-scale plot, and people are NOT going to be interested in YOUR plot if you cannot be respectful of THEM. Plotting is about colaboration, not bullying, and a truly good plot is one that people actually want to be a part of. Remember that. ^_~

Just words of advice.

Anonymous

on another note....

DOWN WITH THE SUN WORSHIPPERS!!!

:twisted:

Wotan will reign supreme!

Anonymous

and a wotan is....  

(And the Luminari are out too... >_> Everyone is missing...)

Rhindeer

I knowww... *cry* Where's Tal?

Anonymous

M-kay, a couple of suggestions. Sorry if they suck...
How about trying to take over some places like in the untamed or at least setting up bases there. Ya know, start small and then work your way up.
As for recruiting people, approach characters that have evil tendencies/alignments in the RP. Then roleplay the thing out. Actually, seeing them working out some type of deal could be interesting to read.

Just my two cents.

Anonymous

Wotan is another name for odin.
(a good pic of him would be my avitar ^_^)
Odin, Wotan, Wõden, Ã"ðinn, Wuodan, Wothan, Godan

and last time i talked to tal on msn she was working 12 hour shifts for some factory/textile mill. 3 days on, 4 off, vice versa (did that type of work before, it fucking sucks so much ass >.<) and still living at her parents house but, she did say she was attempting to save up to get her own place, or atleast a cell phone.

Anonymous

we're gonna move troops into La'marri soon, just to let y'all know lol.

Anonymous

This i gotta see lol