Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Underbelly of the World [MadEmperor]

Started by DragonSong, March 11, 2023, 07:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Hana and River exchanged a look. "No-good brother, you think?" the kitsune asked, and River nodded in agreement.

"We found an odd source of information ourselves," she explained to the other two, describing their encounter with Fuzbit--and his direction to visit a half-burned temple.

"That sounds way too coincidental to be a coincidence," Hana declared when she'd finished.

MadEmperor

"Sounds like someone heard us talking before we split up," Kah observed.

Thrax nodded. "Yeah... there's no way this isn't a trap."

Take the treasure and run. Why risk it?

He scratched his ear nervously. "Maybe we should just keep them? We could fly away and never come back."

DragonSong

River sighed. "I've actually been thinking about that," she said slowly. "With the sword, at least--do we really trust selling it to someone? I mean...it doesn't seem safe."

Hana pursed her lips, considering. "I could see that," she said slowly. Then she shook her head. "But with the music box...I dunno. Validor's gang seemed pretty worried someone was gonna come after them for it--do we really think they wouldn't come after us for the same thing?"

MadEmperor

"We should just give them the box. It doesn't really matter if they are the right owner. We don't want that heat," Kahroan suggested.

"As for the sword... I don't know." He was pained to disagree with his mate so totally. "I definitely don't want something that dangerous near our unborn child."

Thrax frowned. "So, what, you think we should destroy it? Think of the good a powerful weapon can do, the justice it could bring."

DragonSong

Hana gave the bard a briefly startled look, but River seemed too focused on her mate to catch anything that might seem...off about that.

"I don't think we should keep it," she agreed with him, reaching over the table to take his hand. "And...I don't know about destroying it. I'm not sure we could. But there might be someone...more qualified to handle it."

Hana nodded slowly. "A temple in Serendipity, maybe? The Moonspear priestesses deal with demon crap, don't they?"

MadEmperor

Kahroan nodded. "They do. If anyone can destroy it or seal it away, they can."

Thrax glared a little before catching himself. "... Fine. Don't listen to me. I see how it is."

DragonSong

Hana frowned. "We're not ignoring you," she told Thrax, starting to reach out to touch his shoulder. "It's just...it's not just a powerful weapon, Thrax. It's a demon weapon."

River nodded. "I think we just have to admit we're not prepared to properly handle the thing," she said with a sigh.

MadEmperor

"Maybe you aren't..." the gnoll grumbled quietly to himself, sulking. 

Kahroan gave River a look that said "I don't know what to do about that."

DragonSong

River returned the look with a shrug, equally clueless.

Hanna drummed her fingers on the table, then stood abruptly. "C'mon, music man. Let's get a round for the table," she offered, nodding toward the bar.

River opened her mouth to question whether that was such a good idea, but she shut it again at the kitsune's sharp look.

MadEmperor

"Y-yeah, let's... do that." The bard got back up, rage and sorrow at war in his heart as he went with Hana to the bar.

When they were out of earshot, Kah gave his mate a worried look. "I've never seen him like that, have you?"

DragonSong

River shook her head, befuddled. "No, I haven't." She pursed her lips and propped her chin on her hand. "Though I guess...I mean, we've really only known them a couple weeks. There's probably a lot we don't know. About either of them."

Once they were out of earshot, and closer to the bar, Hana leaned in and cocked her head at the bard.

"Okay. What's up?" she demanded point-blank, clearly not one to tiptoe around a subject.

MadEmperor

Thrax didn't meet the kitsune's eyes. "Nothing's up. I just think you're all being way too cautious."

"You're right, we don't." Kah watched the two at the bar with interest. "I forget sometimes that he isn't a big kid."

DragonSong

"Oh, bullshit," Hana laughed, though she didn't sound all that amused. "Look, fine, you don't have to tell me what's actually wrong; but at least don't insult my intelligence by pretending you're fine."

River nodded. "Both of them, really," she murmured. "Honestly, neither of them every wants to take anything seriously--it's easy to forget he's the only gnoll I've ever actually met. That can't be a happy story. And Hana..." She shook her head. "Hanako was ready to die for us back with Validor, remember? And she'd only known us a few days then..."

MadEmperor

"They do both have big hearts, don't they?" Kah smiled softly. "I hope our kid has one even half as vibrant."

Thrax sighed, his anger deflating. "I shouldn't even have this axe, you know. I wasn't ready yet."

DragonSong

"I'm sure they will." River smiled and took his hand, squeezing lightly. With a small laugh, she added, "Though I'm sort of hoping they'll be just a little less prone to danger."

Hanako leaned against the bar, lifting four fingers to the bartender before looking back to Thrax. "What do you mean?" she asked softly, kindly.

MadEmperor

"I was just an apprentice to the Stormsinger; that's what my clan calls our shaman. At least..." Thrax gave a trembling sigh. "At least, I was."

It took him a moment to build up the courage for what came next. "I was until three years ago. The clans had been at peace with each other for the very first time. So, we eventually let our guard down."

"They came in the night. They set fire to our homes, slaughtered our warriors--" He let out a small sob. "Storm, Hana, they killed everyone. But not before my master gave me the axe and told me to run."

"Storm forgive me, I did. I ran while everyone I ever knew was butchered." In that moment, he looked broken and lost.

Kah smirked. "I mean... this is our kid we're talking about. We aren't exactly risk averse ourselves."

DragonSong

"Oh, Thrax..."

Hana reached over to wrap her arm around his shoulders--which was a little difficult, considering their difference in height, but she persevered--and squeezed tight.

"It wasn't you're fault," she told him quietly. "You were a kid. There was nothing you could have done."

River chuckled a bit, but then her expression sobered slightly. "Oh gods," she muttered. "We...are we really ready for this?"

MadEmperor

Kah squeezed River's hand and smiled gently. "Look at it this way: We're going to do anything to protect them, with no hesitation, the same way we protect each other."

"A kid? Most gnolls my age were already full-fledged warriors. But not me, I was too busy studying magic to learn to fight properly. I was useless when they needed me, all because I happened to have some talent with magic." Thrax sighed heavily.

DragonSong

"Right." River squeezed his hand back with an only slightly shaky smile. "You're right. This...it'll be fine."

"You were not useless," Hanako told Thrax, her voice quiet but fierce. "You did everything you could--and if you had fought, then your whole clan would be gone now. You're what's left, and that sucks, but it also means that your people aren't completely gone. Not really."

She spoke as though she maybe understood something of what that was like.

MadEmperor

The bard finally looked her in the eye, smiling sadly. "But I haven't done everything I can. I'd give anything to have the power to get justice for them. That's why it's so tempting to pick up that sword, consequences be damned. The Poisonclaw clan wouldn't stand a chance."

Kill them all. You know you want to.