Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Battling Demons [M]

Started by DragonSong, March 16, 2023, 04:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

[continued from here]

(M for probable gore/body horror)

@MadEmperor

It had taken her the better part of three weeks to track down rumors of a gnoll clan who bellowed "Poisonclaw" as their battle cry, and all the while she had been lapping up any scraps of information about a particular gnoll in specific: one seen with a strange ax strapped across his back, though most who had glimpsed him claimed that he had been more concerned with using a wickedly curved sword that he carried.

But one gnoll was harder to find than a handful dozen; she'd gotten vague directions from a merchant caravan at the edge of the plains two days ago and been following the lead ever since.

Squatting in front of the small fire she'd made, Hanako sighed and let her head roll from side to side. "Where are you, party boy?" she muttered, as though the flames might actually answer. She knew a fire was a bit of a risk out in open grasslands, but she had it well contained--and she'd douse the thing before she slept.

For now, she sat in front of the flickering warmth and folded her tails into her lap, tipping her head back to look up at the open sky. She didn't know where Thrax was, how far gone he might be if--when--she found.

But she was determined to find him all the same.

MadEmperor

The next day, she came across a battlefield littered with dead gnolls and orcs. The position of the bodies indicated that they had killed each other. The emblem on the armor of one gnoll matched the Poisonclaw symbol that the caravan guard had described to her.

DragonSong

Poisonclaw.

She was close.

Hana shifted into what most would call her "true" form, a silvery fox the size of a large pony. She felt like all of her forms were true, were her. She was no more or less comfortable in any one than the other--well. She wouldn't say it was more comfortable, but she'd admit she enjoyed the visible display of her dual nature that her "halfway" form provided.

The massive fox sniffed the air, taking in the scent of blood, orcish and gnoll alike. She closed her eyes and concentrated, sniffing again, singling out the gnolls' scent, and then started to follow the faint trail of it back to its point of origin.

Maybe she would be lucky. Maybe she would find them before Thrax did. Maybe she would find him before he found them.

MadEmperor

After some time, Hana would spot a dark cloud on the horizon. It wouldn't have been odd if not for the fact that there were no other clouds in the sky. It didn't appear to be over any structures, so if it was Thrax, he hadn't gotten his revenge just yet.

As she neared the spot, she would notice that the cloud was steadily dissipating. She would also notice the smell of death and burnt grass.

DragonSong

That didn't bode well.

Though, it at least boded better than a massacre of the Poisonclaw clan. Picking up her pace, the huge fox corrected her direction slightly to run straight for the heart of the ever-dissipating storm.

Her nose may not have been as good as Thrax's, but she was almost sure she could pick up his scent, mixed with blood and ozone.

She risked calling out: "Thrax? Thraxion! Can you hear me?"

MadEmperor

What she found was a small group of dead Poisonclaw, clearly killed by Thrax's demonically enhanced lightning magic. Judging by the bandaging on several of the bodies, they must have been survivors of the battle, limping home to recover. The mercilessness that it took to slaughter the wounded like that meant that Thrax was deep under the blade's influence.

The attack had been recent enough that the bard's scent was still easily picked up. The bodies hadn't even begun to rot. Between that and the rate at which the cloud was vanishing, Thrax had been there sometime between when she found the battlefield and when she saw the cloud. She was close.

DragonSong

Hana only paused a moment to sniff at the bodies, picking up the fresh thread of Thrax's scent. Then she was off again, occasionally blue sparks leaping from where her paws touched the ground.

Please be alright, she found herself praying, though to who or what she couldn't say. Please don't be too far gone...

MadEmperor

It was dark before she saw the campfire in the near distance. She couldn't be sure it was him, but the bard's scent trail was leading her in that direction. There also seemed to be only one figure by the fire.

DragonSong

As she caught sight of the fire, Hanako increased her pace, until she was all but sprinting by the time she entered the circle of light and skidded to a slightly ungainly stop.

"Thrax?" she panted--gods, if somehow it wasn't him, she was sure she'd just given whoever it was a heart attack.

MadEmperor

Thrax looked up from staring at the fire, nearly unrecognizable as the fun-loving, sensitive guy she knew. His eyes weren't black anymore, but they were hard and pitiless. His clothing was bloodied and torn from fighting.

"You shouldn't be here." His voice was dark and angry.

DragonSong

Hanako let her shape melt back into that halfway form, crouching across the fire from him.

"Neither should you," she said softly.

MadEmperor

He shook his head. "No. I'm exactly where I need to be. They've made that perfectly clear."

Without waiting for a response, he said, "My first trip back into the Serha and do you know what I found? The charred remains of a human settlement, marked with their symbol." He growled furiously. "As if bringing war back between the clans wasn't enough for their bloodlust, that they have to declare war against the humans too!"

"They won't be satisfied until all of us are dead!"

DragonSong

"Thrax."

Hana shifted a little closer, hesitantly reaching out to him. "I'm not saying you shouldn't be angry. But listen to yourself—this isn't you."

She determinedly kept her eyes away from the sword, like he was territorial animal she was worried she might set off.

MadEmperor

"How would you know?" he snapped as he slapped her hand away. "You only knew me for less than a month. Maybe that wasn't me. Did that even occur to you?"

DragonSong

The kitsune quirked an eyebrow. "Listen, I know I'm down for a good time, but I like to think I at least need to know someone a bit before I hop in bed with them." She tried for a smile, but it fell quickly.

"Right. Bad time for jokes. But, Thrax...do you remember what we talked about that night? About how you don't need to seek blood to bring your people justice? Not like this, anyway."

She reached again, slowly, like she was trying to tame a skittish horse. "Is this really what you want?"

MadEmperor

The gnoll cocked his head as if listening to something. He then looked at her with suspicion. "If you were just 'down for a good time,' then why follow me? Why are you really here?"

He looked ready for a fight if he didn't like the answer.

DragonSong

Ouch. Fair, but ouch.

Hana sat back on her heels with a small sigh. "Because you're my friend," she answered honestly. "Because you're a kinder soul than you want people to think, and because frankly there isn't enough kindness in the world."

She tried for another tiny smile. "I'm not ready to lose yours yet."

MadEmperor

"You're wrong about me. Everything you think you know is just a mask. I had even fooled myself." He laughed ruefully, with a darker edge than usual. "All to hide that vengeance is the only thing that keeps me going."

"And anyone that gets in the way of that is not only not my friend, but my enemy." As he spoke, he slowly reached for the sword.

DragonSong

"I'm not saying you don't deserve vengeance, that your people don't deserve it," Hana said, hands raised and her ears pressing back flat to her skull. "But just think about how. You say you fooled yourself—how do you know? Did that tell you?"

She pointed at the demon blade, eyes narrowed.

MadEmperor

"What of it?" he spat. "It hasn't lied to me once."

His hand wrapped around the grip, electricity crackling where his hand made contact. "It knows me better than anyone." He stood, his eyes hardening.