Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

On Stranger Tides

Started by MadEmperor, December 09, 2023, 09:10:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadEmperor

Thrax turned his head to look down at her. There was regret in his eyes. "I wonder what they'd think of me. I don't think I've dishonored our ways but I haven't exactly adhered to them either. Would they think I've become too much like a human? Would they understand that I had to adapt to survive, or would they think that's just an excuse?"

"I don't even know what they'd think of you. There was no taboo against relationships with non-gnolls—it just never really came up."

DragonSong

Hana was quiet for several long breaths. Then, slowly and quietly, she murmured, "How...important is that to you?"

She frowned a bit, unhappy with how that sounded. "I mean--even if you are a bit more human than most gnolls, is that...a bad thing? To you?" She tugged awkwardly at one ear, lips pursed. "I think it's...really up to you. I know the situations are so, so different, but I can't help thinking about, y'know...my people. And how they reacted to humans--to one of their own choosing a human."

She shrugged. "If they were still here, if we'd met some other way, with you a fully trained gnollish mage...I dunno. What would you even think of me?"

MadEmperor

Thrax took a slow breath as he contemplated the question. "I don't really think that's a question that has an answer. I just..." He turned to face her, putting a hand on her shoulder.

Continuing, his voice tender, he said, "I'd like to say my soul would always know yours, that we're two halves of a whole... But I only know for sure that this me wouldn't trade being with you for all the gold in the world. So, no, it isn't all that important to me whether I'm 'too human'. I am who I am and I like who I am."

DragonSong

"I like who you are too," Hana told him with a small smile, reaching up to place her hand on his where it rested on her shoulder and squeeze gently. "And for what it's worth...look, it's not like I enjoy the tragedy of my early years. But...who I am now led me to you. And I'm grateful for that."

She looked up at him for a moment--then away again quickly, clearing her throat to cover the warmth in her cheeks. "So. Y'know. Relish the present and all that, blah blah blah."

MadEmperor

"I'll drink to that," he chuckled, smirking, "I mean... I'll drink to a lot of things, but especially that."

He put an arm around her and held her close, content to spend the rest of the moment in companionable silence with the woman he loved. Eventually, someone behind them cleared their throat.

"Alright lovebirds, you need to be getting ready to depart for your ill-advised trek across the desert," Percy said.

DragonSong

Hana was well content herself to enjoy the moment, though of course it couldn't last.

Sighing, she pushed away from the rail and turned to face Percy. "Alright, alright," she huffed. "We'll get moving. Cap'n need anything from us before we dock?"

MadEmperor

Percy shook his head briskly. "She merely wants one last moment with the two of you before you leave. For old times' sake, I assume."

Thrax nodded to the first mate. "I think we can manage that. We don't have much to take that we don't carry with us, other than the extra supplies we'll need."

Percy nodded. "Then I'll tell her to expect you. She'll be in the captain's quarters until we get close to shore, so go sooner rather than later."

DragonSong

"Thanks, Perce." Hana gave him a quick smile and waved him off.

The smile dropped a bit as she leaned against Thrax a little more heavily. "Well...seems like a fifty-fifty chance this is a fond farewell or a chewing out. What are you putting coin on?"

MadEmperor

"Knowing her, a bit of both." Thrax smirked. "But if I had to place a bet, I guess I'd have to say fond farewell."

He put on his best innocent expression. "But only because I can't think of anything for her to actually chew us out over." Dramatically, he put a hand on his chest. "I, at least, am the very model of innocence."

DragonSong

"Suuuuuure you are." Hana rolled her eyes fondly, then reached over to loop her arm through his. "C'mon, let's go find out."

Her expression softened a bit and she added, "I do sorta feel like we owe her one. Not many captains would have taken us on just on the promise of work."

MadEmperor

"Oh, definitely," Thrax chuckled as they started walking. "We don't exactly have the appearance of reliable people."

"And it's not even because most humans don't trust gnolls or kitsunes. It's because fun people aren't typically reliable people. But we can totally be reliable... if we like someone enough. Yeah?"

DragonSong

"Hey, River kept trying to pawn those twins off on me, so either parenting makes you so exhausted you lose any sense of judgement, or someone trusts us," she laughed as they headed below decks to meet the captain.

MadEmperor

Thrax was still laughing from her comment as they approached the door to Gracia's quarters. He reigned in his amusement and prepared to knock, but the door opened.

"Do you really think I didn't hear you coming? You aren't quiet," Gracia teased with a smirk.

The gnoll put his hand on his heart. "Who? Me? Well, I never."

DragonSong

"Silent as the grave, us two," Hana agreed, still laughing a bit herself. She tried to sober herself and straightened up a bit. Snapping into a quick, only slightly sarcastic salute, she said, "Percy told us you needed us—reporting for final duties, captain!"

MadEmperor

Gracia shook her head like a teacher weary of corralling excitable children.  "I swear, neither of you ever took anything seriously."

She chuckled to herself. "But this is just a social call—mostly—so come on in.

"Yes, mom," Thrax sighed theatrically, stepping inside. For that, he received a playful swat on the head, even though she had to stand on her tiptoes to do it. He barked a laugh in return.

DragonSong

Hana arched an eyebrow. "What does a mostly social call entail?" she asked warily, easily ducking under Gracia's swat to Thrax's head so she could pop up on the captain's other side.

MadEmperor

"Part friends saying farewell, part a friend making sure you know what you're getting yourselves into," Gracia answered. "I'd never forgive myself if you died out there doing something stupid." She seemed to direct that concern more towards the gnoll.

"... fair," Thrax admitted. "That is the odds-on favorite in my death pool."

Gracia frowned. "Not the time gallows humor, Thrax."

DragonSong

"Oi, a little credit here," Hana protested mildly, looking between them both. "C'mon, Gracie, you really think I'd let him get himself killed?"

Granted, there was a non-zero chance they would both do something stupid, but she thought the odds shifted in their favor if they remembered to check each other.

MadEmperor

"Oh, if you didn't have each other's backs, I'd never let either of you do this." Gracia smirked, trying to lighten the moment a little. "Well, to the extent that either of you waits for anyone to let you do anything."

Thrax rolled his eyes. "I think we're both a little more responsible than we were. We've been through a lot since then."

The captain sighed, deflating. "Right. I suppose you have, fuzzy. You certainly don't have that pesky deathwish gnawing at you."

DragonSong

Hana shot a quick glance toward the gnoll, a flash of memory from their brief but intense sojourn to the plains playing behind her eyes. She shook her head slightly and looked back to the captain with a customary half-smirk half-smile in place.

"We'll be fine, promise."