Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Stairway to Cleven

Started by visualspice, January 25, 2023, 12:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Now Gemla was thoroughly confused. It seemed the townsfolk and gnoll knew who the dragon was. Gemla just eyed her, determined and much less afraid. 

"She was once one of us. A villager from Cleven.. we.. used to play when we were little I.." the mother wavered, then dropped to her knees.
"Oh, Yzriel! Please.. please find salvation for my son! Spare him the corruption!"

The dragon looked.. almost hurt by the remarks. She turned her large face to regard the area then looked over at the mountains.

"My.. charge had escaped.. the only way to fix all this is to imprison him once again. "
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

MadEmperor

"Nobody said anything about a Stormcurse," the gnoll said, superstition coloring his words. "That changes everything. We have to contain this, lest the Storm itself be tainted by this corrupted mage."

He'd be furious with Yzriel for being so tight-lipped about something so dire, but now he knew her to be a sacred being. Who was he to demand anything from her?

visualspice

Gemla sighed.

"Well, it looks like we have ourselves another adventure. " she looked towards Thrax. "But this.. charge you speak of.." she looked at the dragon again. "How will we know how to track them down? And if we find them.. then what are we to do with them?"

The dragon let out a soft growl.

"Leave the being to me. We have to find him first and his powers are so sporadic and corrupt I can not easily gadge where he's been or where he's going. I know he was here.. that much was obvious.. but he could have easily moved on by now.." she growled again at that. 
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

MadEmperor

The situation made a lot more sense now that the dragon had revealed her connection to the mysterious mage, or whatever he was. And quite possibly why she needed him.

"And you believe a certain bard and storm mage with a magic axe can help you find him? I believe I can, now that I know how his magic feels."

visualspice

The dragon growled. 

"Do not think I sought you out. You were in my way. I thought one of you might have been.. him," the dragon went on with a sniff.

"But time is of the essence, and to ignore help would be foolish. "

Gemla looked at Thrax .
"So you were accidentally a choice "

MadEmperor

"Good enough for me!" The gnoll grinned.

"But..." he asked, smelling the air for traces of corrupted storm magic as they walked onward, his expression quizzical, "How could you mistake one of us for him? Is he a shapechanger?"

visualspice

Yzriel growled and swished her tail.
"Those blessed by dragons inherit the ability to use glamor," She stated. 

Gemla nodded, thoughtful. 

"So not only is his powers corrupt.. he is dragon blessed." She frowned.  She wasn't drunk enough for this.

MadEmperor

"Sounds like he'll be fun to take down." The gnoll grinned eagerly, his warrior blood heating up. "Of course, if it were easy, then you'd have ended him already."

He perked up as he caught the trail again. Magic didn't have an odor exactly, but smell was his strongest sense, so it was the surest way to feel what he was looking for. "This way," he urged, moving further into town with total disregard for the fact that they were almost certainly terrifying the townsfolk. But this enemy was even more dangerous and was apparently capable of hiding among the innocent villagers. They had no idea of the true threat.

visualspice

Gemla frowned. 
"You would get turned on by a cursed villian." She sighed and looked at the dragon, pointing her blade at it. "I blame you for this. " And sheathed her blade then dashed after the gnoll. He was moving fast. Did he have to move so quickly? It seemed the dragon had no issues keeping up. She sighed, keeping her eyes open and apologizing to the townsfolk as they went.

MadEmperor

"You can't tell me your orc blood isn't reveling in the idea of an epic battle." Thrax grinned back at her just before turning down an alley between buildings. He was beginning to get the same feeling he always got before a thunderstorm, like his fur wanted to frizz out.

"We're close... I can feel it."

visualspice

Well, he wasn't wrong. But unfortunately for Gemla, she had been raised by mostly humans. So human logic kept it dampened, for the moment anyhow.

"Epic battle or not... I was hoping for a different kind of evening," she grumbled, but hefted up her sword and continued to follow the gnoll. "Relaxing and drinking are also some good ways to past the time."

But.. well... She was never a person to turn down someone in need. But ugh, she knew she wasn't going to get paid for this. And some 'heroes' had to make coin to eat. But if what Yzriel said were true....

She eyed the dragon, who bristled around the same time the gnoll did.

"So are you really just going to sniff this guy out?"
Then again, maybe they would be so lucky.

MadEmperor

"He's close," he said without his usual frivolity, almost growling. The gnoll took up his axe and rested his head against the flat of the blade, as if listening to something within. In a way, he was; he was getting a sense for the way it resonated with the storm magic in the air.

Lowering it, he said, "I won't be able to identify him, but Stormsong can." He looked up at the building his nose had led them to. It looked big and important—a temple, maybe? He wasn't sure.

visualspice

Gemla blinked. That made sense. Atleast it wouldn't be like they were going in completely blind.

"So your.. weapon can.. sniff him out instead?" The idea was amusing. She then stopped before the temple, frowning.

"He's.. in there?" She hoped not. Going in with blades raised inside a place of worship... wasn't exactly the wisest of ideas. 

MadEmperor

"Where better for evil to hide than among the faithful?" the bard mused.

"We have three options: be boring and wait until he decides to exit; be nice and go in peacefully and hope nobody decides we're there to do harm anyway; or be reckless, and our dragon friend here makes a scene to flush everyone out." His expression for the final option revealed that he very much preferred that one.

visualspice

Gemla grimaced. That was a wicked thing to consider. But... it made the most sense and well, all signs pointed that this thing they were dealing with? That it was out of control and irrattic.

Yzriel growled and swished her tail, agitatedly.

"I am not above smashing down buildings, but not all of my humanity has passed," she hissed at the gnoll. But.. well... if things had to get done...

Gemla simply strolled on up to the door, sword over her shoulder.

"You coming gnoll, or what?" because she wasn't about to start more chaos without fluffy. She gave the dragon a look.
"Stay out here. We'll flush him out."

MadEmperor

"Right. That would be the better plan," Thrax admitted with a nervous chuckle. His chaotic nature had overlooked the less destructive option. He'd need to work on that if he was going to continue living around humans.

Axe over his own shoulder, he stepped up beside her and nodded. "Ladies first."

visualspice

"Oh, you're too kind. What a gentelman," she muttered, giving a flirtatious roll of her eyes before stepping inside and stopping almost immediately because...

Was there a service going on? She flushed a bit as the priest who was talking to haulted only briefly to gesture for her to sit before continuing to talk to his crowd. 

MadEmperor

Thrax shrugged and obeyed the gesture as if hulking hyena-men were a perfectly normal sight in a temple to a civilized deity. Weapon stowed, obviously, though he didn't much like not being ready to fight. He didn't really fit in the seats either, looking like an adult sitting in a child's chair.

"Are all human rituals this dull? We might actually be doing them a favor by making a scene," he whispered, waiting for the best chance to act without unduly angering a god.

visualspice

Gemla elbowed him- hard. Her elbows were evidently effective weapons. She shot him a look.

"Just keep your mouth shut and your sniffer open, Thrax," she hissed under her breath. She tried to appear and remain reverent, but she too stuck out like a sore thumb- but she supposed not as much as he. She was at least.. more humanish. Thrax?
He was just an oversized standing dog!

MadEmperor

Thrax knew better than to argue with the dreaded elbow. Covertly sniffing the air, he quietly began ruling out the nearby worshippers. Eventually, he almost imperceptibly perked up.

"Well, hello..." he whispered. "Not sure exactly where, but he's very close."