Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Stairway to Cleven

Started by visualspice, January 25, 2023, 12:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Gemla was too mesmerized to move. The creature of torn winds winding down like a thin serpent of twisting clouds captivated her. It wasn't until it touched down, force drilling into the earth with a growling, growing fury that she registered Thrax's shouting and swore.

With renewed vigor, Gemla began to charge up the staircase. Her focus was at the top , but the very real dangers behind them made the hairs on the back of her neck stand on end.

The may have been in sight, but it might as well been an ocean away, and soon the hail was returning, the winds growing with aggression to match. 
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

MadEmperor

Thrax ran, grateful that his paws were well-suited for maintaining footing on the hail-strewn steps. He was worried that Gemla might slip again, so he stayed at her back even though his instincts were screaming at him to worry about himself. He knew they could both make it.

A section of the stairway collapsed somewhere behind them, and he shouted, "Don't look back! Just keep going! We're almost there!" And they were; they only had a few steps left before solid ground. Unfortunately, those steps were beginning to tilt as their supports cracked.

visualspice

And just like that.. the next foot or so of stairs were ripped clean of the cliff wall. Gemla barely managed to stop herself from toppling forward and hugged desperately to the railing.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

MadEmperor

Thrax's animal reflexes helped him maintain balance just enough to get Stormsong into position. His best chance was to pump as much magic as he could into his thunder spell and hope his aim was true. "Let go in three! Also, this will hurt!"

"3...2...1!" He played a thrumming riff that sent out a wave of force to propel him forward. He grabbed her as he passed, and the two landed in a tumble on the edge of solid ground.

visualspice

Over the roar of the storm, she couldn't even question what mad plan he had, and before she realized it (expecting him to count up rather than down...) and suddenly the pair were air born.

For a moment, she wondered if the tornado had gotten them, both of them bound and free from the shackles of the long staircase that seemed never ending. But even as the whole of winds tore at them, she noted how the powerful stroke from his instrument propelled them forward, and soon the pair were tumbling onto the ground.

For a moment, Gemla couldn't believe it, hunched over in shock. But then she remembered the tornado and peered over her shoulder, grimacing. She grabbed onto Thrax's arm and yanked him along.

"We need to find shelter!" And just as she suspected, it looked as if the damn mass of wind was charging their way, towards the town of Cleven. Why couldn't anything on this journey be easy!?

MadEmperor

"I see the inn!" Thrax shouted over the howling winds, pointing at the sturdily built structure huddled against the mountainside to their right.

The gnoll yanked her in that direction. Fighting the increasing winds, he slowly closed the gap. Eventually, he shoved his way through the doors and all but collapsed against the wall by the door.

"Never, ever, take the stairs," he huffed.

visualspice

Gemla lay in a near heap, trying to catch her breath, relief washing over her, even as the howling winds outside still kept her hackles raised- or at least if she had hackles, they would be raised. She groaned and peered over at her companion.

"Let's just hope that twister doesn't aim for this place and tear it apart."

Of course, as she closed her eyes, she wondered if that wouldn't be a mercy- for her lungs burned as if all the air had been compressed and she had been breathing in sand paper. Her legs felt like rubber, and over all....

It had just been a long day.

MadEmperor

The innkeeper laughed dismissively. "We'll be fine. The Eagle's Nest has weathered worse and only lost the sign over the door. But I'd recommend getting away from the windows, just in case."

He looked at Thrax for a moment, disbelieving. "You'll have to forgive me; when my brother wrote that the bard he arranged was a gnoll... I didn't imagine he was being serious."

Thrax chuckled tiredly, groaning. "Hey, I get it; it's unusual. And as far as welcomes go, I've received far worse."

"I had planned to play tonight, but right now I'm sopping wet and I can't move another inch," he said apologetically.

visualspice

Gemla looked at the innkeep. She was glad, for the moment, he was a bit more concerned over their safety, and Thrax's 'gnollness' than he did about her blantant green skin and orcish features. She was always so used to being on her guard, so when no one was making a fuss, she just let herself lay there on the floor, closing her eyes as they insisted they would be safe...
and she wanted nothing else but to simply fall asleep.

The walls and windows rattled beneath the storms fury, but as she lay there, catching her breath- she found herself asking..
"You got anything here to drink?"

MadEmperor

"I've got just the pick-me-up you two need," the innkeeper responded, fishing out a bottle of something bright red. The liquid almost glowed as he poured a couple of shots. He bade one of his two serving girls to take the drinks to them, along with two large mugs of water. 

Thrax sniffed at his shot, his nose wrinkling, but didn't hesitate for one more second before knocking it back. His eyes shot open. "Holy shit!" he coughed before chugging the water. "What the hells did I just drink?! Gods, it's like liquid fire!"

The innkeeper laughed, smirking, "Woke you up, didn't it?"

visualspice

If the drink seemed to bother Gemla as she knocked it back, she didn't show it. Rather, she belched lightly and gave a thankful nod to the keep.

"Don't worry about the Gnoll. But if you got a few more free shots, I won't be opposed to a couple more."

MadEmperor

Thrax gaped at her, impressed but incredulous. "How did you drink that like it was nothing? My tongue is still in pain."

"I'm wondering that myself," the innkeeper chuckled. "That was fermented dragon pepper sauce."

visualspice

Gemla was, admittedly, feeling the effects of the second much more than the first but still she shrugged and grabbed for the mug of water.
"We'll call it a trade secret." But really she meant 'I'm half orc, but we're not going to discuss that now'.

She peered over at the door, it was still rattling from the winds.
"The weather often this bad here?" she asked, surprised, but also thankful it seemed the tornado didn't hit here and tear the place apart... at least not yet.

MadEmperor

"Oh, this is bad, even for Cleven," the innkeeper answered. "But something about this plateau keeps the tornadoes from wrecking everything. We just have to build sturdily enough to withstand the winds surrounding them."

Thrax finally found the energy to get up and walk over to a safer spot further inside... at the bar. Slapping a few coins onto the table, he said, "Ale me. I need a real drink after all that."

visualspice

Gemla joined him.
"Just bring me a whole pitcher." she said, sighing as she settled into her seat.

MadEmperor

"I'd take that as a challenge, but I know better than to try and out-drink a half-orc." Thrax grinned. "I'm too tired to be proud, anyway."

He raised his tankard with a tired smile. "Instead, a toast to being alive."

visualspice

Gemla raised the pitcher she has been served and nodded.
"To making it up the damn stairs," She said, giving thr gnoll a wide grin then knocked back the drink in great, thirsty gulps.

MadEmperor

"Don't get too drunk," Thrax advised after chugging his ale. "You still have an important package to deliver."

visualspice

She nearly finished her drink before she paused, sobering momentarily as she nodded.
"Thanks for the reminder. Once these winds calm, I'll make my delivery." She then looked down at her nearly empty pitcher. "Or maybe after this next drink." She then waved the keep over, ordering another.
 She then turned to regard her companion, he looked like a soggy log.
"When did you say you perform?"

MadEmperor

"Soon as I dry off and take a quick nap, I guess," he answered with a shrug. "I'm supposed to start tonight."

"And be the house performer for a week, so you'll get a chance to hear my awesome skills if you stick around at all." He smirked.