Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Stairway to Cleven

Started by visualspice, January 25, 2023, 12:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

"So is this town that popular to call elsewhere to find an entertainer?" She asked, winded, though thankful to magic, she could not keep a pace. And lest she admitt it, she did enjoy the company. That too, made the climb less arduous. After all, when she was alone, she had only stairs and stairs to think about.

And it was also nice that the other wasn't common, or just another simple human, giving her looks. Unless one knew her, strangers were always wary about her- unless it was a drunken idiot who was trying to bed a half orc, for fun. 

Those men were the worst. Always seeing new things as a conquest. Atleast those types gave her a reason to use 'self defense'. She should, after all, enjoy the perks through the strength of her father's bloodline.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

MadEmperor

"Apparently the innkeeper has a friend who heard me down south. So when he encountered me on a trip back from Ketra, he asked me to play here for a few nights. I was already in the area, so I thought, 'Why not?'"

It had been a mistake; that much was obvious now. Stuck on a narrow wooden stairway hanging from a mountainside was no place to be with a thunderstorm barreling down upon you.

"I should have said no. That storm is getting way too close. Just because my clan holds them sacred doesn't mean I want to be killed by one."

visualspice

Gemla thought back to the song he had just played. 
"You have skill, " She Admitted.  "Perhaps this mountain top we head to could use you after all. I've been to many a taverns.  Skilled singers are a rarity. It's probably a great kindness you are coming. "

She paused briefly,  staring back at the storm at their backs. Then she looked down to him. 
"Got any songs for speed? Or to thwart a storm?" It was a jest but she wouldn't unwelcome if he had other skills. 

"Otherwise, let's pick up the pace "
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

MadEmperor

Thrax grinned proudly at the compliments. Flattery, it seemed, would get her everywhere.

"I do not. My shamanic training," he answered, hesitating as he picked up the pace, "well, it never got around to those."

He wished again that his Song of Invigoration would work on the one performing it. But, no, that would be too useful.

Stupid arbitrary rules of magic.

visualspice

Although Gemla felt invigorated to press on, she could tell, after sometime, the gnoll appeared much less punctual than she. She couldn't help but be observant, and slowed a little to look from gnoll to storm. 

"Is your song of inspiration fading already?" 

Or she couldn't help but feel something else was out of place  

MadEmperor

"No, it--" Thrax paused to breathe. "--just doesn't work for the caster. Because magic is arbitrary and cruel."

The gnoll reached back and patted his axe like it were a pet. "Not you Stormy. You're great."

visualspice

Gemla slowed down her pace, face twisting in confusion. But as it all sunk in, she sighed. Red eyes then went towards the skies, oncoming storm winds pulling at her dark hair.

"The least I could do is help carry your things. The magic makes these stairs a lot less formidable for me and I can't help but feel sorry for you."

It wasn't fair, and she was incredibly strong, likewise.  And her conscience couldn't just let another suffer. 

MadEmperor

"Oh Gods, you are my hero." He gladly passed her his pack with a relieved groan. "Seriously, I'm dying here."

"I already told you my name, but people call me Thrax." He smiled toothily.

visualspice

She accepted the pack and tossed it over her shoulder to lay with her own. It was strange. She hardly felt the additional weight at all. She frowned at first, but then caught Thrax's smile as the pair continued up and up the stairs.

He called her a 'hero'. Those words were rarely directed at her, and despite the context, made her feel odd. But any further thoughts on the matter were disregarded when suddenly the skies seemed to open up and it rained.

It didn't start lightly but rather the rains came down hard and quick, whipping at the pair as the rowdy winds only continuedto pick up. A flash of lightning caught her off guard, it was so bright and close. Then a loud crack of thunder announced the storm was here.

She had traveled up only a few more steps before tiny pieces of hail began to pelt the pair. This gave her pause as she peered up at the sky uneasily. Hail was never a good sign. 

MadEmperor

"Oh, come on!" he groaned, cursing the sky. The bard regretted, not for the first or last time, that he had learned how to appease the Storm and make it spare the surrounding area its wrath. Such a spell was beyond him and might always be.

"Please tell me we're nearing the top?" he asked in complaint, covering his face with his arms the best he could.

visualspice

Gemla frowned.
They were closer but still a ways away. And as the rain and hail continued to pour down more heavily, it was getting harder to see.

"Come on!" She called back to him. "We need to move faster."

Although the hail wasn't too large, it was beginning to collect on the stairs and proved moving faster was more difficult. She frowned and peered back up.

By the gods.. was there no end to these stairs?

MadEmperor

Thrax climbed faster but, after some time, he was beginning to lag behind. "Is there really nowhere to wait out storms on this damned mountain?" he complained with a huff. "I swear, this place is a deathtrap."

Lightning flashed in the near distance. Thunder boomed almost immediately, rattling the walkway. Was this stairway safe? Safe structures didn't rattle, did they? Suddenly, he was no longer lagging behind.

visualspice

Gemla scowled. Thrax's rantings were not helping, no matter how true. But he wasn't wrong.. continuing on these stairs would prove dangerous.. but what other option did they have?

It wasn't until Gemla had gone a few more steps that bad luck struck and a bolt of lightning smashed into the cliff side nearby, startling her and tripping her on the steps.

And they were too slick to find purchase and she began to fall back....

SHIT.

MadEmperor

"Shit!" Thrax braced himself and quickly moved forward to catch her. But in his exhausted state, it took all of his strength to support the combined weight of her and the two packs.

"I have an idea, but you won't like it. Hells, I don't like it."

visualspice

Gemla swore again, peering over his shoulder at him and thanked him gruffly for the Dave. But at his words, she frowned.

"Can it be any worse than this?"

MadEmperor

"I mean, I've never done it before, sooo..." the bard shrugged. "I'm not sure I'll even work, let alone as I intend."

visualspice

Gemla paused to glare at him.
"What is it already?"
At this rate the storm would claim them for sure., as the stairs began to turn into small waterfalls as the waters pelted the pair from the heavens.

MadEmperor

"Oh! Uh, yeah, I was going to, err..." Thrax grew hesitant. Maybe it was a stupid idea that would, at best, singe his fur. But the bard pressed on. "Use my lightning-enchanted axe to absorb any lightning that gets too close. It can hold a lot of juice."

visualspice

Gemla stopped dead in her tracks.

"You have a what kind of axe that you plan to.."

Was the gnoll mad!?

MadEmperor

"An ancient mystical axe powerful enough to calm the sky. You mean you don't have one?" Thrax explained with a smirk.

"... in properly trained hands," he amended.

"... I am not those hands," he amended a second time. "I'm just the best hands available right now."