Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Meat and Greet

Started by visualspice, November 03, 2023, 04:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

"You've always had more balls than brains."

The blue-eyed man lowered his cup of alcohol and raised a brow at the night-skinned goblin who sat, hunched over- with legs dangling from the table beside him. The goblin wasn't a fan of chairs. They made him feel shorter than he was, and when he was around Winston McKeane- he'd rather not feel any smaller.

"Because we'll be meeting a woman?"

"Because you'll be meeting a woman," the goblin repeated, slower, and with much emphasis on each word. His beady eyes shined darkly, the dancing flames from the hearth casting deep shadows into the unique recesses and bold shapes of his face.

The human companion of his shook his head and knocked back more of his drink.

"Coin is coin, you know that,...right? Lenny?" the man asked, belching as he went to wipe off the alcohol from his lips onto the back of his leather wrist guard. Then he paused to belch again. "And if the purse happens to belong to a woman...well.." He could only shrug at that.

The goblin sneered, eyes still glittering as he muttered something under his breath.

But the blonde haired man only retorted to the muttered goblin-tongued curse with one of his own. Lenny grimaced. He never did like the fact Winston knew so many tongues- especially not some of his own.

"You make the language sound like rotting fish." Lenny sneered, eyeing the other man as Winston waved down a tavern maid to order another drink.

"Well, I can't make the sound of rotting fish sound like anything but rotting fish, now can I, Lenny?" Winston went on mildly, holding onto his cup as the serving woman poured. He got a nice eyeful down the front of her shirt as she did so. Then he nodded, grinning at her as he slipped her a coin as she blushed, then sauntered off to the next table.

Lenny was grinning now, that smile nearly cutting across the entire wide width of his face, exposing rows of little sharp, jagged teeth. The very sight of that smile made Winston pause with the cup of beer to his lips.

"What?"

The goblin snickered.

"You going to be able to keep it in your pants this time, McKeane?" the goblin looked from his companion to the barmaid.

Winston snorted.

"This is a job, Lenny."

"Exactly.." the goblin continued to eye his companion, before finally turning away as the serving woman disappeared into the back. He shook his head when it was obvious Winston's eyes had been following her. "You.." he went on, placing a curled hand onto his shoulder. "Are too predictable my friend."

"And you.." Winston went on, plucking Lenny's goblin fingers from his shoulder. "Shouldn't be sitting on the table when she brings us our stew."

Lenny sneered then muttered more in his tongue- he always did that when he had something colorful and nasty to say- he also always did it while turning away, so Winston couldn't catch all of it.

But somehow.. Winston always caught all of it.  The man was just looking at him now, and Lenny narrowed his eyes before swearing more in goblin tongue before he hopped down from the table. He didn't take a seat, however, and made his way over to the hearth, where a warm fire crackled and kept this side of the tavern warm- despite the chill of the desert night.

Winston had followed to where Lenny had moved to, his own eyes going to the flame as he stared off in thought.

Lenny grabbed the fire poker and prodded at it. Winston was about to say something, about the fact the goblin shouldn't just touch any old thing in the Smiling Crocus, the owner - after all, was a rather mean looking Rah-Souk, if the scar on his snout could attest to any of that. In fact..
He turned to look for the owner, wondering where the crocodile man had gone off to.

The Smiling Crocus was.. an interesting establishment. It wasn't in the best part of town- but it certainly wasn't the worst. But you wouldn't find rich folk dining here. No.. the merchant princes and their lot tending to remain in the heart of the city- or in their fancy delta establishments.

The city itself was a colorful town, although many were desert dwellers that lived here- the people here were far more diverse than the stiff-molded people of Connlaoth to the far north. He himself was a Connlaothian, although with how deeply tanned and ruddy he's skin had become from just being in the desert.. one might compare him closer to Adelan than Connlaothian- if it weren't for that blonde hair of his-
And his exceptionally blue eyes.

"So why are we here so early, McKeane?"

Lenny's gripe had his attention return to the goblin and he raised a brow at the other.

"I'm always early for my appointments."

"But are we not to meet her for another 3 hours? Curious.. that.." the goblin went on, thumbing his lip in thought. He turned to regard Winston. "It can't just be because she's a woman..."

The man said nothing, tapping the table a few times before he realized he was doing it and stopped.  That's when Lenny's eyes and ears perked up, then a snake like grin split across his face.

"Oh.. she's not just a woman.. is she?" Lenny began, moving to close the distance between them, grabbing the back of a nearby chair. But before he could pull it out to take a seat, Winston's hand snapped out to grab a hold if it, and Lenny started, beady eyes looking over at Winston. But the man didn't look at him. He was staring at his cup- no.. distantly past it.. eyes unfocused, in thought.

"What did you say her name was?" Lenny said, clearing his throat and jerking the chair out, despite Winston's hand still remaining. But the chair didn't fully budge, and Lenny turned to regard Winston again.

"I didn't say her name."

And then, if it was possible, Lenny's grin grew even wider, the teeth nearly cutting his face in half. He knew.. he knew much from nothing. If his companion did not wish to divulge much until they actually met her...
That meant she was someone of some status...

And that meant there would be quite a lot of money.
And Lenny really.. really liked his money.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

MadEmperor

The hulking crocodilian returned from the back room with a fresh keg over his shoulder, which he placed behind the bar. He rose back to full height and gave the bar a wipe with his bar rag as the next set of patrons walked up. With a thundering but friendly voice, he asked, "And what can I get for you folks?"

The gnoll who had taken a seat stared in awe at the crocodilian for a long moment before mouthing 'so awesome' to his lady companion. Thrax had no idea what the barkeep was, but it was awesome.

"Right. How about whatever you just brought out?" the bard answered.

Stygian gave an acknowledging grunt and poured him a mug of Essyrni ale. "And you, miss?"

( @DragonSong )

DragonSong

The lady companion in question rolled her eyes and mouthed back, You're ridiculous, but she was smiling.

"I'll try the pomegranate juice," she replied brightly to the bartender. She'd never had a pomegranate before, and was curious.

She looked around the bar, swiveling in her seat as her ruby eyes cut across the room. "More northerners here than I would have thought." The quiet comment was intended for Thrax, but then again, she didn't know if crocodile-people had particularly sensitive hearing.

MadEmperor

"An excellent choice," Stygian responded, giving no indication he heard her quiet remark. He did faintly hear her, but he wasn't one to butt in on what was meant to be private.

Thrax smirked as he followed her gaze. "Never thought I'd see a Connloathian hanging out with a goblin in an Essyrni tavern, but why are we whispering?"

wandering_giraffe

The happy, whimsical sounds of an old song lilted into the Smiling Crocus, heralded by a short, smiling man—wearing a hat almost as tall as he was—walking in, playing his violin. Once he got inside, he stopped playing, happily skipping up to the bar, and bowing low, sweeping off his hat in a grand fashion.
"Ah, sorry, sorry," he said to the barkeep.
"I don't know what the rules are here about playing instruments in the tavern; but could I perhaps have a shot of your strongest spirits? I am quite parched. Beautiful selection of alcohol you have here, by the way." He grinned and took a seat on a barstool, happily whistling a tune. 

MadEmperor

The big reptile looked down at the short man with an appreciative twinkle in his friendly eyes. "You have a good eye, my friend," Stygian said amicably as he deftly poured him a shot.

"You may play what you wish, provided none of my patrons start leaving."

The gnoll sitting at the bar turned his head to regard the halfling. "So, a fellow bard, eh?" He grinned and extended a big hand. "Thraxion Swordbreaker. Good to meet ya."

wandering_giraffe

Rowan grinned.
"Aye, It's always good to meet a fellow bard. Rowan at your service!"
He shook Thraxion's hand, then downed the shot the barkeeper had poured him.
"Wow that's amazing. Could I mayhaps have another one?" Rowan contemplated something.
"Perhaps five more?"
Rowan played a few experimental notes on his violin.
"Allow me to introduce myself."
His eyes twinkled, and he launched into a song, playing a slow, melodic intro on his violin.
He stopped playing and started singing, his light, crystal clear voice carrying over the room.

"In a small forest, deep and green,
Where secrets and wonders lied unseen.
A humble bard, with heart so pure,
Embarked on a quest (of this I'm sure
"
His eyes twinkled as he sang.
"Thraxion, friend! Jump in if you'd like!"

"He wandered through the mossy glades,
Melodies ran through the dappled shades.
A quest for music, a treasure untold,
In this enchanted forest, there's a story to be told.
"

Rowan picked up his violin and picked up the tempo, merging the slow style into a fiddling one.

"Deeper into the woods, he strode,
With each step, the enchantment flowed,
There, beneath an ancient, twisted oak,
Lay the violin that the forest spoke.
He picked up the violin, touched by time,
Its strings alive with a magic chime,
The bard's heart soared as he began to play,
And the forest itself danced on that day.
"

Rowan was practically dancing now.
"He wandered through the mossy glades,
With melodies in the dappled shades,
A quest for music, a treasure untold,
In this enchanted forest, a story to be told!"

He stopped playing and swept down into a massive bow, the hat somehow staying on his head.
"And that, friends, is a shortened introduction of me."
Rowan smiled.

visualspice

Winston found himself studying the bar keep, and owner of the place, with a critical eye. It was strange to see Rah-souk in anything but armor. But here was one, with strange, black as night scales, and running his own rather successful business. And it seemed this night he was to get many patrons.

At least they weren't the usual types that stumbled in here. He was still curious about it. Normally the more rowdy adventurer types came in, those with a little.. darker dealings that wanted a nice place to sit but not be too close to law-keepers. For that, The Smiling Crocus was perfect.

This actually made Winston frown.

And then a bard began to sing- and that made the goblin grimace, plugging up his ears. He hunched over, as if that might help shield him from the terrible song. Winston only watched Lenny, an eye brow raised.

When the song ended, Lenny grumbled to himself and slowly removed his fingers from his ears.

"Ugh, non-goblings sing terribly."

Now both of Winston's brows raised. The man couldn't help but smile and this made him relax back into his chair as he looked over at the group beside the bar.

"Lenny.. Lenny... you have to remember you're not with your kin..."

Lenny cursed in his tongue, not bothering to hide the words, but no one else could really hear them- least of all understand him. His kind weren't exactly plentiful in the world. It was a shame what his people had become...
Then again, it wasn't like the goblins ruled over large plots of lands like the humans did. Humans.. always wanting to own something. He raised a clawed finger, and idly scratched at his lip.

"Think anyone would mind if I sunk a knife into the halfings head?" Lenny grumbled, more to make himself feel better than something he'd actually act upon. Lenny was always more fluff than stuff. Then again, he wouldn't put it past the goblin to be plotting to stab the man in the back.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

Hana listened to the bard's music with a smile, bobbing her head.

She reached over and placed a hand on Thrax's arm to lean in and murmur, "I am begging you—don't ever introduce yourself in verse."

MadEmperor

The other bard's style wasn't exactly Thrax's cup of tea, but he listened companionably. Though, when given the offer of joining in, he had to bite his tongue not to say something rude like 'I'd rather drink acid'.

Afterwards, when Hana murmured to him, he whispered back with a smirking, "Yeah, no. I'm not nearly that full of myself."

Louder, he said to Rowan with a gently teasing smirk, "So, I take it you found a magic violin in the woods."

He turned in his seat and unslung Stormsong. "My magic lute is also an axe." He grinned. Of course he was going to compare cool, magic instruments.

Because his was obviously bigger.

visualspice

Winston pressed his lips together as he studied the room. Odd.. was he the only human here? The black scaled crocodile owner was there.. and a gnoll and.. was that a kitsune or the likes beside him? Then of course Lenny... one could never count Lenny anywhere close to a human. And the hafling? He was.. he guessed.. half human.  It took more muttering and their stew being served to tear Winston's eyes away. But he was thankful for the food. He was hungry, and he'd rather be at his A game when this woman arrived.

She was offering to pay handsomely for his services. And who was he to deny the whims of a woman?

wandering_giraffe

Rowan grinned.
"Yours is quite impressive! My violin can heal injuries if I play certain songs. I'm less on the offensive side of things and more on the "keep people alive" side."
Rowan sat back on the barstool and looked closer at Thraxion's instrument.
"That is most definitely bigger than mine. Wow, the craftsmanship on this lute is breathtaking!"

DragonSong

Hana, sipping at her juice, choked quietly when the halfling declared Thrax's instrument was "most definitely" bigger. She shot the gnoll a look that screamed, Don't you dare.

Her eyes flicked around the room before landing on Rowan again with a small smile. "It's certainly something," she chuckled quietly. "You should hear him actually play."

MadEmperor

It took every bit of the gnoll's willpower not to laugh like a crazy person or continue the game. After giving Hana a quick look of "buzzkill," he cleared his throat.

"Is that a request? I'm going to assume that was a request."

With a grin, he started playing. The electric sounds of his instrument filled the tavern with a lively tune that was as catchy as it was noisy. Then, to poor Lenny's horror, he started to sing. His rough but smooth voice delivered a familiar, somewhat raunchy tavern standard in a way all his own. And his energy was infectious.

visualspice

And then the man-sized wolf sang. At first, even Winston wanted to plug his ears- this music strange in its intensity. But then something tickled his veins- a thrill- a sensation of the storm he could not deny feeling rise within his veins.

He stared over at the gnoll, transfixed- and not realizing his blue eyes glowed subtly at the very vibrations of the monster's instrument.

And then Lenny was groaning.

"First the half pint human gargling, now this?"
He began to mutter again in goblin, smashing both hands over his large ears to shield himself depending the offending sounds.

But Winston... he felt something alive in each strum, and couldn't help but continue to stare.

wandering_giraffe

Rowan couldn't help but tap his foot along to the infectious melody. Not quite his style, but he could appreciate a talented musician. He grinned, turning his violin over and using it as a drum of sorts, silently playing along.
When Thraxion finished, Rowan clapped.
"Well played, my friend!"

MadEmperor

This humble narrator feels obliged to refute the scurrilous accusation that Thrax is a mere man-sized wolf. He is, in fact, larger than a man, and a hyena. Thank you. That is all.

Thrax half-bowed, careful with the edged weapon in his lap. "Thank you, thank you."

Straightening up, he grinned. "You're not too shabby yourself."

For a violinist.

"A far cry from most of the talentless hacks I cross paths with."

visualspice

Ooc: I love the narrator commentary. I apologize for my character's short sightedness . Hes not as worldly as he thinks! He probably thinks he's a werewolf and will look at you funny when you'd explain the difference. Although I think Lenny knows what Thrax is :D

-‐------------

Lenny muttered, thankful it was over, muttering about which gods he ought to praise for the sounds to stop. 

"Careful, Lenny! The werewolf over there might turn its eyes on you and rip you to pieces. Then what other gremling would I turn to to mock?"

Lenny made a face.

"You think you're so smart yet not you prattle on about superstitiouns. " Lenny sneered. "I'm not a gremling."

Winston grinned.

"I know."

And then the goblin pointed at Thrax.
"And that ain't no wolf, my pale skinned northern friend."

Winston raised a brow at the rebuttal. 

"That, my friend.." Lenny went on, gesturing in Thrax's direction. "Is a gnoll- more common here than you'd think. And.. apparently are very bad at singing."

Winston snorted and picked up his drink that a barmaid was kind enough to refill, nodding to her in thanks.

"A gnoll, huh?"

"Yeah.." Lenny scratched idly at an ear. "More closely related to the hyena than anything else."

Hyena? Winston rubbed his chin thoughtfully.  He'd atleast heard of them. He eyed Thrax. He supposed he had some difference from a wolf.  Of course, that's why he assumed the hulking thing was a werewolf. Not that he'd ever seen one before. There were stories- none that showed them off in a light as polite as this one seemed to be.

Hrmm.. so a gnoll musician....
He observed the others, wondering if the female was about to break out in song next. He wouldn't be surprised.

MadEmperor

Thrax twitched when he overheard the goblin criticizing his singing. Normally, he would let things like that slide, but something about this particular goblin was extra... gobliny. He didn't judge people by their happenstance of birth as a rule, but he'd never met a goblin that wasn't tone-deaf. 

"Y'know, if a goblin thinks I suck, then I must be doing something right!" he called to Lenny.

DragonSong

"Thrax," Hana protested quietly, shooting a quick look in the goblin and his companion's direction. "Let's try not to make a tradition out of the barfight thing, shall we?"

She shot a smile at Rowan, murmuring her own praise of his performance, before raising both voice and hand to the other two across the taproom. "No offense meant, friend!"