Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Battle of Draconi Forest

Started by MadEmperor, March 03, 2023, 05:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadEmperor

Thrax cursed himself for not thinking of that and, though he could barely hear her over the ringing in his ears, joined in the singing.

Kahroan put himself between River and this new arrival as the group pulled back. Was this Validor? If so, he was big for a half-elf. Kah blew a warning gout of frost and shouted to retreat.

DragonSong

As the group began falling back, River noticed that their opponents didn't seem to be as disoriented from the music. She still wasn't fully lucid enough to process that, but a part of her brain filed it away for later.

Wait.

"Where's the archer?" Hanako called, risking a break in her song now that Thrax had joined in.

MadEmperor

I don't see him either, but we're of no help to him if we die here. Kahroan's beastspeech cut through the noise. The mind of a dragon could be a powerful thing, with his own recovering quickly from the spell's effects. He just had to hope Zeldrinn got away.

Thrax's earlier energizing spell probably slowed the effect. But not for him; he had taken it in full until he temporarily deafened himself. He would have to kick himself later for not just singing, though he suspected he wasn't thinking straight.

DragonSong

"C'mon, party boy," Hana said, grabbing Thrax's shoulder and hauling him back out of the way of a throwing dagger. She was certainly stronger than she looked. "Snap to—you're too useful to get offed here."

They're on our tail, River snapped to those who could hear her, risking a glance back as she dashed through the undergrowth of the Draconi. With every step away from the music she grew more clear-headed, but at least six of the bandits were pursuing them through the trees.

MadEmperor

As he ran, Thrax nodded in gratitude and gulped. "Th-thanks. I owe you one."

They raced into the clearing and Kah turned to face the enemy. "Get behind me!" he shouted. He shifted into a dragon faster than he ever had, roaring as his shell of ice crumbled. "Turn back or die!"

DragonSong

River shifted behind her mate, having snatched up her bow as they ran, and without thinking she swung herself up onto his back and drew, eyeing the bandit in the lead down the length of her arrow.

"Oh, damn. That was hot," Hanako muttered, seemingly to herself.

The pursuing bandits had the sense not to face a full-grown dragon. They fell back, raining half-aimed arrows and chucking fire and lightning from their mage as they retreated to their fortified camp.

MadEmperor

Thrax nodded slowly, grinning. "I know, right?"

Kah barely flinched as the arrows bounced harmlessly off his scales. Only the lightning bolt that struck his breastplate produced a reaction. He winced, making a lightly pained grunt. "That was too close. Is everyone alright?"

DragonSong

River grunted an affirmative and Hanako sounded off, "Pissed, but fine."

The kitsune looked around, her expression sobering. "...We left Zeldrinn."

The archer didn't seem to be catching up with them. River felt her chest tighten and her shoulders slump.

MadEmperor

Kahroan made a sad, guilty sound. "Damnit. I was hoping he was ahead of us."

"I'm sure he'll be fine... right?" Thrax tried to sound nonchalant, like he was too tough to worry about someone he barely knew, but he failed spectacularly. He felt like he should want to save his own skin, and yet, he knew he wouldn't do that.

Stupid humans are rubbing off on me.

DragonSong

Hanako made a small noise in agreement with Thrax, but her expression said that she didn't believe it.

River closed her eyes, breathed, then shook her head. She slid down from Kahroan's back, laying one hand against his scaled shoulder for a moment before she started walking.

"Come on, we should get some distance. They may decide we're too dangerous to let go once they regroup."

MadEmperor

Kahroan followed after them as a dragon, not willing to stop shielding the others with his large body until they reached the far tree line.

Thrax looked sidelong at Hanako as they walked. "Don't worry. We'll... go back for him. We just need a plan."

DragonSong

"Mmm." The kitsune walked with both tails and ears drooping, her arms wrapped loosely around her middle. "M'sorry," she mumbled eventually to the others. "That--that music. Whatever it is, it...I couldn't think straight. They kept me back too long, I wasn't quick enough to warn you..."

River glanced back at her. "That wasn't your fault. None of us knew they had magic like that on them."

MadEmperor

"Seriously. What are we supposed to do to fight that? Stuff acorns in our ears?" Thrax frowned. Thinking, his face suddenly lit up. "What if I just play louder?"

Kah gave a deep chuckle. "No Thrax, that..." He groaned. "I can't believe I'm considering this."

DragonSong

"I guess now we know why none of the other groups came back," River sighed. "But the gang--they must have some way of tuning out that magic--no pun intended. They were still fighting."

Hana gave another little "hmmm". "I wouldn't say they were entirely unaffected," she murmured, "but you're right--they were way more lucid than we were."

MadEmperor

Kah paused to retake his hybrid form as they entered the forest on the opposite side of the clearing. "It could be resistance from repeated exposure, or some magical trinket they carry"

Thrax scratched behind his ear. "That one survivor from the first wave was pretty well effected, so my money's on a ward or counterspell that was cast before the others used that bardic spell. Or maybe some artifact they acquired. At least, that's what my shamanic training is telling me."

DragonSong

Both River and Hana cast the bard mildly impressed glances. The kitsune smirked. "Not just a pretty face, are ya?"

River gave her a sharp look, which didn't seem to have much of an effect. "All I know is we need something similar if we even want to try taking them on again." She sighed and rubbed at the back of her neck. "I dunno. Maybe we should cut our losses."

MadEmperor

Thrax had just given Hana a look that said, "So much more, if you know what I mean," when River brought up quitting. He grew serious. "I can't believe I'm saying this, but that doesn't sit right. Zeldrinn deserves better. He was going to retire after this job. And, hells, he probably had kids."

Kahroan didn't expect magical knowledge, let alone noble sentiments, from the gnoll. Those weren't things they were known for. He was suddenly struck by the irony of the thought, since he was hardly the typical example of his kind either. That was something to work on. He sighed. "Of course it doesn't, but unless you can pull a counter off the top of your head, what choice do we have?"

DragonSong

Hana winced, though she nodded along with Thrax's assessment.

River glanced up, then sighed and noted, "Whatever we decide, it'll have to wait until morning. We all need to recover, and I don't know about the rest of you, but I think we need some wards. Anyone know how to guard a camp."

Hana shrugged. "Not my specialty. You got anything?" she asked Thrax.

MadEmperor

Thrax chuckled awkwardly. "I'm, ah, not so good at wards, but I can try. They should hold out long enough that they won't catch us unaware."

"It'll have to do," Kahroan sighed. "And I can sleep in dragon form. That ought to give them second thoughts about attacking."

DragonSong

Without thinking, River crossed the small space between herself and her mate and reached up to touch his cheek lightly. "You sure?" she asked quietly. His shifts seemed to come easier each time, but she worried he may not be entirely comfortable with them yet.

Hana cast a glance in Thrax's direction with a small smirk. "Painfully adorable," she said softly with a dramatic eye roll.