Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Herbs and potions (mad emperor)

Started by Nahashsan, March 07, 2023, 01:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nahashsan

Shimmering Pearl brushed a strand of long white hair out of her face as she hunched over a mortar and pestle. She was working on what she hoped was the last potion of the day.  It was a bitter thing, but good for you rarely tasted good.

Her patient was a elderly man by the name of Kiko. He was the chief of a small village in the draconi forest who had taken ill over a moon ago.  When Pearl had gotten to Kiko he was at deaths door, pale white and in fevered sleep. Now he was stable and growing stronger by the day. The only problem was he still hadn't woken up.

Pearl mixed a little more water into her potion and poured the concoction into a wooden bowl. With a sigh she straightened up and potion in hand made her way to Kiko's pallet in the long house. Parting the old mans lips she spooned a small amount of potion into his mouth. At first nothing happened, then slowly his mouth twitched. He took a deep breath, the first in over a week, then started coughing.

As his eyes opened Kiko looked around the room as if lost. After a long while he focused on pearl as if just then noticing her.  "Who who are you" he croaked.

"I am Shimmering Pearl and I just saved your life" she responded with asoft smile.

MadEmperor

When Pearl eventually left the longhouse, a man was waiting for her. He was younger than her, perhaps in his fifties, and was dressed in the dark suit of a butler. He adjusted his round spectacles and smoothed back his graying black hair, which had been mussed by a gust of wind.

"Shimmering Pearl, I presume?" he asked with professional politeness.

Nahashsan

After negotiating a very fair payment for services rendered, Pearl packed up her herbs and tools and left the long house.  To her surprise, there was an older man waiting for her.

"Shimmering Pearl I presume?" He ask

"I am" she said returning the polite smile. "Judging from your clothes, you're not one of the locals so what brings you all the way out here."

MadEmperor

"I am not," he answered dryly.

"My master, one Anton Volke, wishes a word with a healer of your storied skill. I am to bring you to him. If you are willing, of course."

Nahashsan

Pearl thought for a moment. On one hand, it had been a long week caring for Kiko. On the other hand, she was now finished and had no other work lined up. Curious she a affirming nod. "I can go with you to see this master of yours," she replied. 

MadEmperor

The servant smiled, quite pleased. "Excellent. Please, do follow me."

He led her to a carriage parked just outside of town. It wasn't quite up to the standards of nobility; instead, it was more akin to that of a wealthy merchant, but without gaudy, classless ornamentation. The butler opened the door and gave the passenger a respectful bow before motioning for her to step up. "Introducing one Miss Shimmering Pearl."

Nahashsan

As Pearl followed the servant through the village, she was stopped multiple times to be thanked. Final making to the edge of town she was greeted with a tastefully decorated carriage. Opening the door, the servant introduced shimmering Pearl to who she assumed was the master.

"Anton Volke?" Her voice had a questioning tone as she studied the person before her. "What can I do for you "

MadEmperor

The dark-robed man within nodded and motioned for her to join him inside. "It's more a case of what I can do for you. Please sit and allow me to explain."

"I promise that it's well worth your time."

Nahashsan

Pearl was intrigued by Volke's words. She thought this was going to be another healing job but appeared to not be the case. With the grace of someone years younger Pearl climbed up into the carriage. "I'm listening" she replied with a smile.

MadEmperor

The servant closed the door and stood outside. Volke looked her in the eye with a measuring gaze before speaking. "How would you like the opportunity to learn more about magic than you ever thought possible and, perhaps, extend your life long enough to enjoy that knowledge?"

Nahashsan

As she took a seat across from the man wearing black she mused at how much he contrasted with her white robes.

"I have spent a life time gathering knowledge, it is a pursuit of mine. If you have something new to teach I would welcome it." She said seat more upright. "I do not fear death but I am likewise in no hurry to discover what is beyond the veil"

MadEmperor

"I belong to an organization of mages and scientists that, as part of its creed, strives to uncover both the rare and forbidden knowledge of ages past, and to explore the frontiers of thought that the powers that be would deny you based on fear and superstition," he explained. "As a fellow healer, I know all too well the pain of losing a patient because society sees the treatment as something never to be done."

Nahashsan

Her curiosity was peaked at the mention of forbidden knowledge. She knew caution would be need. Many had been consumed by such pursuits.  "Do go on" was all she said. For now she would just listen to what Volke had to offer.

MadEmperor

Volke produced a rolled-up document from his robe and presented it to her. "A small taste from our hidden library, transcribed from Aldranir's Apothecarium Obscura. Consider it yours with no obligation, but there's more where this came from if you join us. You will, of course, have to undergo a small test to prove yourself. Nothing dangerous, I assure you; we are men of learning, not violence."

Well, some were violent. Every secret society needed enforcers.

Nahashsan

Aldranir now that was a name know to Pearl.  He had been a great potion master but most of his works had been lost to time or so she thought. If this was truly from the Apothecarium Obscura it would be worth a small fortune.

Pearl took the scroll and opened it up gently. She would have to read it over later but skimming over it, it seemed authentic. Rolling it back up she tucked it into her satchel.

"If you have more lost works like this I would gladly join.  So what is this test."

MadEmperor

Volke smiled. "Initiation involves convincing a small selection of more experienced members of the caliber of your intellect. Think of it as an entry exam for a prestigious university. If accepted, you will earn the title of Adeptus. It's really quite straightforward."

Nahashsan

As there was only Volke and servant Pearl guessed they would be going elsewhere for the test. "Lets go meet these colleagues of yours and see what this test is like" she remarked.

MadEmperor

"Ah. Eager, are we?" Volke smirked, pleased. "Very well."

He tapped on the door with a decorative cane and informed his butler, apparently named Bastian, that they would be off. Pearl might note that the topper for the cane was etched with a small relief depicting an ouroboros. Bastian produced a blindfold and handed it to her.

"For the sake of secrecy, should you not be accepted. A formality, I assure you. With my recommendation, your acceptance is all but assured," Volke explained apologetically.

Nahashsan

Pearl hesitated at first, she did not relish the idea of traveling blindfolded especially when she had no idea where they were going. With a sigh she took the blindfold from the servant and secured it over her eyes.

"Now that that's taken care of let be off" she replied. Setting upright with her arms crossed in her lap.

MadEmperor

"It shouldn't be terribly long," Volke assured. Bastian knocked and the driver got the horses moving.

After several hours, the carriage stopped. It sounded like they were outside somewhere with a lot of conversation going on, perhaps a tavern or an inn.

"Just a few more minutes." She was helped from the carriage and led around back. Someone knocked on a door, whispered words were exchanged, and they were let in. They walked a little and descended into a cellar that smelled like wood and ale. After a short while, they stopped before a wall, which slid open to allow them through.

As soon as it slid shut, her blindfold was removed. She was in a small room lit by a lamp held by Bastian. The only thing of note was a statue of an unfamiliar goddess with four arms and dark gems for eyes. She was holding a strange animal in  two of them, its mouth opened just enough to let a flat hand inside.