Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Walk of Dreams

Started by visualspice, September 21, 2023, 06:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadEmperor

He knew better than to refuse if he valued his continued freedom. Besides, it wasn't as if he had anything better to do at the moment. So, he would be a royal once more, albeit temporarily.

"It would be my honor, my Shah." His reverence was interrupted by the howl of the dying storm crashing over the dune.

"Further formalities can wait, I trust?" he asked with urgency in his voice.

visualspice

Persea blinked.
Right- the beast and storm.

She nodded then pointed up at the top of the dune.

"My entourage.. they were attacked up there. We should see if they are alright."
Although she knew, regrettably, that some had been slain by the wicked beast-
she just hoped not too many had fallen or had become injured.

She tried to swallow down that fear but.. well...
Who could blame her? She'd never experienced such true threats and fear as this!
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

MadEmperor

"We will investigate, have no doubt. However, we can't help anyone if we find ourselves buried by a sandstorm."

Helping her to her feet, he added, "My tent is not far. It will be safe there."

visualspice

Persea hesitated.  She didn't know this man, despite him having just saved her life. He single handedly slaughtered the beast that could have easily killed them all.

Yet here he was, offering shelter. 

She nodded, peering up into his mask- seeking his eyes.

"Let us hope the storm will not be long."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

MadEmperor

She thought she saw a flash of red as he quickly averted his gaze. "I would not presume to look you in the eyes, my Shah." Something about the statement rang as a deflection from the true problem.

He wasted no further time before climbing onto Luna. He reached down to help her up and, once behind him, said, "You may wish to hold onto me; she is quite swift."

The way he spoke was far too formal for him to be a simple peasant. An exiled noble, perhaps? If so, why?

visualspice

Once on the mount, she heard his command and gripped onto him, best she could.  She wasn't fully used to riding in such conditions, and kept her head buried against his back, both for safety and to protect her eyes from the sands.

She could only hope they'd get to shelter quickly- the sands were rubbing her exposed skins raw.. and she.. well, she didn't even know how to begin. So she simply buried her face into his back and let his scents of musk and leathers drown out the raging storm.

MadEmperor

Luna raced ahead, quickly outpacing the weakening storm. Even then, the pair barely had time to secure the flap of Ghaej's tent before the storm rolled over them. The following moments were a harrowing ordeal of chaotically screaming winds, so loud as to drown out any attempts to speak.

The man himself remained eerily calm throughout, as if this was nothing more than a stiff breeze. In fact, he had remained perfectly composed from the moment she laid eyes on him.

visualspice

Persea stood inside the tent, stunned. The winds were howling and pawing at the flaps like a vicious wild animal and after a few moments, she was able to collect herself and looked towards her rescuer. 

Despite him having saved her life, she couldn't shake the paranoid teachings that those not her own were likely out to get her for their own gain. Could this strange, masked man have been plotting something from the start? And was using the storm to get close to her?

She studied him still before asking.

"You should remove your mask in the presence of your Shah."
What was he hiding? Did he not honestly wish to show his face to her?

If he were a kidnapper, or murderder, it made sense he'd want to hide his face...
But if he were truly as it seemed... how was she to address the man that rescued her?

MadEmperor

Ghaej had known such a demand would be coming but still knew not how to address it. If she saw his face, would she faint? Would she scream? She certainly wouldn't understand.

"I am sorry, my Shah, but this I cannot do. I can only give you my word that I am an ally."

visualspice

Persea started. She had not expected him to refuse. Was she being too generous when she have him an option. She glared at him, and threw her chin up.
"And if I were to command it? Surely you would not address your Shah behind a mask."

MadEmperor

"You--you do not know what you ask," he said with a shake in his voice. It pained him to refuse her, his old vows clawing furrows in his heart. He had thought such devotion had died with his love's summary execution.

"I haven't shown my face to anyone since long before you were born." He hadn't even looked at his own reflection in centuries. He was afraid of what he might see.

visualspice

Persea simply stared at him, anger flashing in her eyes, anger laced with impatience.

"How am I to thank and know the man who had saved my life when he hides behind a mask?" she demanded.

Hadn't shown his face? Was he so grizzly behind the mask he feared the terrorified reactions of others?
Or...
Was he afraid someone might identify him?

Oh.. what if he were some criminal?

MadEmperor

"You would fear me if you saw," he said, pleading despite his pride. "I beg of you. Do not ask this of me."

visualspice

"Fear the man who saved my life?" she pressed, not exactly tactful in respecting other's boundaries. After all, she was the Shah, you were to placate her, not the other way around.
"Shouldn't I be the one to decide that?"

MadEmperor

"It seems that I have no choice if I have any hope that you will trust me." Ghaej sighed heavily, knowing there was a good chance that she would think him a monster. "But I must warn you; do not look directly into my eyes. After expending so much magic, I may not be able to fully control what happens."

Hesitantly, he reached up and removed his mask. Careful to keep his strange, red eyes averted, he turned his face towards her. His skin was a dark green but not like a half-orc, for it was veined like the surface of a leaf. Thorns lined his cheekbones and jawline, which was extended slightly as if stuck in the earliest stages of some beastly transformation. He had no hair on his face, possessing thorns where eyebrows should be. And peeking out from his headscarf were thin vines where his hair would be.

visualspice

"You've already proved your loyalty by saving my life," came her flippant reply. "But I will give you this thing."

But why was he so adamant about not looking into his eyes?

And then her lips fell open as his face was reveeled, and she took a step back in shock.

The skin.. it was so.. so unnatural. She couldn't help but stare, before some semblance of her wits returned and.. inspite of herself- she screamed.

It wasn't even just a little scream- it came clear from her belly and before she knew it- she was dashing outside of the tent.

MadEmperor

With inhuman speed, he raced after her and grabbed her arm. Even then, it was all he could do to pull her inside before the storm tore at her. "Fear me if you wish! But fear the storm more!" he shouted over the howling wind.

visualspice

She hadn't expected his reaction, and felt herself being pulled away from the sting of the winds and into the safety of the tent. She shrunk back reflexively, before her wit began to return.

Slowly, timidly, she turned towards the man- her hair and clothing a tossed mess, as she slowly, cautiously, began to study what she feared.

And before she could think better of it, she asked,"What are you?"

MadEmperor

"Human," Ghaej answered with a sense of melancholy. "At least... I was. But that was long ago, before I lost everything."

"As for who I was? That is a very long story; one I have told no one in a very long time."

visualspice

Persea's nrows furrowed and she took a step back, bewildered. 

"You can not. No human sort looks like.. like .."

She was too surprised to even look at him. Why was his skin green? Surely he was some demon.. was his aim to save her trickery?

She wasn't sure how she felt, and took another step away from him. 

And then he went on about his past.. As if it were so long ago.

"Are.. are you Essryni?" She asked, hating that her words sounded so shakey.