Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Walk of Dreams

Started by visualspice, September 21, 2023, 06:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadEmperor

"Take care to bury them deep, lest you only feed the scavengers," Ghaej advised. They deserved not to be eaten by beasts, although there was no stopping insects.

"I will keep watch for further danger, should the Shah not object."

visualspice

She turned to him, curiously. 
"Further danger? Are you implying there might be more of those creatures?"

Some of her attendants startled at that. 
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

MadEmperor

Ghaej shook his head and held up a placating hand. "Simply a precaution, I assure you. The beasts of the desert are restless and unpredictable of late. I would be remiss not to remain vigilant."

Such things bore ill tidings, for wild creatures were far better at sensing danger before it presented itself than people were.

visualspice

She frowned at this.

"So you are familiar with these areas. And you are saying the beasts are unsettled?"
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

MadEmperor

Ghaej nodded, his mask glinting in the sun. "It is as if they perceive some fearful shadow that we mortal kin cannot. It is best we heed their warning and seek shelter from whatever unknown peril draws near."

visualspice

Persea frowned.

"We are here on a very specific journey. We must get to O'dhavbarr."

Surely he was not implying she abandon her quest.

MadEmperor

Under his mask, Ghaej raised a brow. Was it possible that his observations were connected to whatever sent her to O'dhavbarr?

"You seek the sacred spring, then? The reason must be dire to stray so far from the city yourself, my Shah. Far be it from me to deter such a pilgrimage."

visualspice

That.. was the correct response, and she released a held breath. She.. why had she expected him to fight her on this? Perhaps she was still haunted after the incident...
She nodded then peered over at the masked man.

Although the mask made him less unsettling, it was still strange to have a masked stranger in her caravan. Even if he had saved her life. She wasn't sure what to make of this. But if the man had wanted her dead- surely he wouldn't have saved her.

"So you are familiar with the area? With this terrain?" she found herself asking.

MadEmperor

"Indeed, I am," the masked man responded with a nod. "I can guide you as well as any... formerly in your retinue could have. Better, if I may boast."

Centuries spent wandering the desert made him an invaluable resource, and he could tell she was realizing it. Despite her reservations, she had no better option than to trust him.

visualspice

"So you've been to O'dhavbarr?" She asked curiously. "I have only been there but once. And I was so young, barely a few years old."

MadEmperor

"In the early days of my... condition, I had hoped the sacred waters might heal my affliction. I never tried, though, for fear I would only anger Hakeshna by trying," he answered as honestly as possible.

"It is a beautiful place deserving of its name. I would not risk defiling it."

visualspice

Persea found herself clenching her jaw, but it almost felt as if she ought to speak- unspoken words just hanging between them.

But the Shah said nothing.

She wanted to ask and pry so much but...
For some reason, she could not form the words. So she simply nodded rigidly and turned to regard the others.

"We can speak more of this once we handle the dead." And she gestured towards her priests, whom nodded and moved forward to handle the bodies.

She observed them moving about. Should she offer to let them burn? But no... the dead ought to bury and return to the earth when allowed. However...

She chewed on her lip and then paused, realizing what she was doing.
No...
Best to let the priests handle this. She did all she could- and she was thankful things did not get worse-
For had they lost any more in her caravan...
She wasn't sure it would have been wise to proceed.

MadEmperor

Ghaej was content to silently keep watch as the priests went about burying the dead. He was motionless enough that anyone who hadn't seen him move earlier might have mistaken him for a statue.

It was dusk by the time the grim business was done, and he sought fit to join everyone by the fire that he deigned to show signs of life.

visualspice

By the time Ghaej had joined those at the fire, it was being discussed that the Shah was preparing for bed- and that after today's events- her priests were commanded to set up another series of Telling Ropes.

The Shah was anxious. She needed to know exactly what Hakeshna wanted and more confirmation- too many died today. Was she truly on the right path?

Her servants worked to undress her, slipping her into a thin, sheer sheet of white cloth that they tied loose against her body. She was so distracted, thinking over the beast and the storm and the deaths that she almost didn't notice the scorpion approach in the dimlight of her tent.

Her servants turned, gasping as they moved to grab at the long poled royal fans nearby, and began to use them to shoo the scorpion away. But as they did so- the Shah did not see the other scorpion until it was too late- and it struck her ankle three times as she had been backing away.

The Shah screamed.

MadEmperor

Hearing the scream, Ghaej shot to his feet and ran for the Shah's tent. He exploded through the tent flap and surveyed the scene in an instant. Rushing to her side like the wind, he stabbed the scorpion with a blade nobody even saw him draw.

"Hurry! Suck out the poison!" he commanded the priests.

visualspice

There was chaos, absolute chaos- and the women who crowded around stared over at Ghaej's command, confused.

They would dare not touch the Shah! 
They bowed their heads reverently and apologetically while Persea remained doubled over, stunned by what just occured.

MadEmperor

"Better your reverent lips than mine! But, unless you want her to die, I will if I have to! Even if she would have my head for it." Ghaej couldn't believe that the priests were so subservient that they would rather let the object of their reverence die than touch her.

"May devils take you!" he snapped as he hurried to Persea's side.

Kneeling, he said, "I apologize, my Shah, but I have no choice but to touch your leg with my unworthy lips. Please forgive me; there is no more time to waste."

He raised his mask and began to suck out the poison. It took no time at all. He then replaced his mask. "It is done. You may feel ill, but you will not die.

visualspice

The priestesses shied away, gasping as the man threw himself at the Shah. And when he drew his mask back.. one of the priestesses fainted- the others just weren't sure what they had seen. Was.. did this man... was he.. green?

Persea was still stunned, until she felt something touch her leg and she let out a start, drawing back instinctively but his hands held firm.

And then lips were upon her legs, sucking at rhe wound and... Persea flushed in the after math, remembering how close Ghaej had gotten and had placed his lips upon her leg.

Then she blinked, realizing she was lying down. Someone had guided her there or.. no.. had she fallen? She looked up at those gathered around her, feeling flush all over. She placed a hand to her forehead, still confused until...

Then she saw Ghaej and froze.. remembering. Then she flushed again.

MadEmperor

"This is the second time that I have saved your life in barely more than a day, my Shah. A superstitious man might think some force is conspiring to keep you from O'dhavbarr," the strange man said without further apology.

"I ask for no reward and make no demand, but I feel it would behoove you to share with me the goal of this trip. What dire portent draws you to the sacred spring with such urgency?"

visualspice

The priestesses exchanged glances before the Shah rose. Although she was much shorter than he, she held a commanding air about her as she raised her chin and almost seemed to look down her nose at him- even though she was looking up.

"I've been having vivid dreams. Ones that the telling ropes hold true. I am here.." she went on, drawing in a breath.  "To get answers from my dreams. "