Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Family Business [M]

Started by DragonSong, September 25, 2023, 11:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

@MadEmperor

[M for probable violence]

It had been over three weeks since the attack on the Blackpaw and Longfang packs, and the Howlers still hadn't settled on a course of action. There were two main factions in the group: one wanted to reinforce their stronghold in the mountains, such as it were, and prepare for the next possible attack. The other wanted to take the fight down out of the mountains and ensure that there wasn't a next attack.

Of course, there were dozens of ideas about just how each of these goals could be accomplished, but first they had to actually pick one.

That was Aeris's job, and Shyla couldn't say she envied it. Her foster brother had been trained to take his place as their pack leader since he was a child, and she whole-heartedly believed in his ability to make the right decision--but that didn't mean she thought it was easy. He had to manage both the safety and the expectations of just about every member of their family.

Well. All the ones who were left, anyway.

"You're going to call for recon, aren't you?" she asked in the wolfman's direction, not taking her attention off of the task in front of her--which in this moment was using a mortar and pestle to blend a poultice of feverfew and a sharp-smelling mountain berry called frostfell. Technically, she could have been doing this anywhere, but she'd made up some excuse as to why she needed to be in Aeris's  command tent while she did. "Felan said they lost track of the zealots near the base of the mountain--we need more information."

MadEmperor

The boss himself was conflicted on the issue. On the one hand, if they focused solely on preparing themselves for a possible counterstrike, then they left a lot of innocent wolves to the slaughter. On the other hand, if they crossed into northern Connloath to hunt the rest of the zealots down, then they risked not only an ambush but also the ire of the Connloathian military. Having soldiers hunt their kin was an even worse situation. It seemed like either way, there were going to be more attacks.

"Of course. If we do go after them, I'm not risking everything by going in blind. The last thing we need is to accidentally start a war with Connloath that we absolutely cannot win."

Aeris sighed. "Gods, I hate this job."

DragonSong

"No you don't," Shyla responded easily, if dryly. "You'd go mad from boredom without it."

She finished her poultice and began moving the mixture into one of the small empty vials from her field kit. "You could send me," she noted, deliberately casual. "I could use a bird. Or even just ask around--no one would suspect the little blind girl to be running recon for a mercenary group."

It wasn't the first time she'd offered to go on a mission for the pack, but it was certainly something that she was doing more frequently in the last year or so. She knew why Aeris was protective of her, but she so desperately wanted to be useful to her family, to do something for them that wasn't just patching up wounds after a fight.

MadEmperor

Aeris frowned, not liking where this was going. She has been relentless lately about going on missions. He knew why; she wanted to be more than just their best healer. But that was exactly the problem. It was bad enough that she was his little sister; he'd be damned if she didn't outlive him.

He groaned. "Shyla. We've had this discussion more times than I can count. You're too valuable to risk losing. Nobody else in the pack is half as good at keeping the rest of us alive. You are useful."

DragonSong

"I'm not suggesting you send me into battle, Aeris," Shyla exclaimed, with all the not-inconsiderable indignant exasperation of a stifled teenager. "I wouldn't even have to go far, just poke around a few villages in the foothills and see if I can get any information."

Huffing, she crossed her arms and glared in his direction. "Besides, we have plenty of medics--you know as well as I do that anyone could do this job, if you forced them to sit out every damn fight and learn."

MadEmperor

"Fine," he half snapped, half sighed as he stomped over to her. "You want the truth? I can't risk you. If anything happened to you I'd..."

His face fell, voice growing distant. "I don't even know what I'd do. At best I would be so grief-stricken that I couldn't lead. At worst, I might get everyone killed in a mad quest to avenge you, and everyone would go along with it because they love you too."

DragonSong

Shyla was so familiar with his gait and the layout of the command tent that she could anticipate where he would stop as he approached, despite not being able to see him. She stood with a sigh of her own to bring herself closer--if not by that much--to his height and tipped her head back toward where she knew his face was.

"...I get that." She reached out to touch his arm. "But I love you all too. And these people are a danger, to us and anyone else in the mountains they think are "heretics"." Her eyes were fixed on a spot just beyond his shoulder, but it was clear she was trying to hold his gaze to the best of her ability. "I'm not asking you to do something stupid, Aeris. And I'm not just suggesting this because every time you all go out to fight and I'm left behind it drives me mad. I'm suggesting it because it makes sense."

She squeezed his arm lightly. "They'll know about us--about the pack, what we look like, how we operate. They won't know anything about some waify half-elven girl just asking questions."

MadEmperor

The wolfman let out a long, drawn-out huff. She was right. He hated it, but she was right. Strategically, it was the right call, and he had no logical counterpoint. And he had denied her too many times as it was.

"Promise me you'll retreat if you even think you might have been found out." It was clear that on this he wouldn't budge.

DragonSong

Her ears perked up as he started to soften his position, and she was already nodding quickly. "Absolutely. Send me down with a squad, if you need to; they can hang back and keep an eye out while I ask around. That way I'll have backup if things go sideways--which they won't," she added hurriedly.

Her whole face was lit up as she turned it toward him, though she was clearly trying to keep her expression sober so he knew she was taking this responsibility seriously.

MadEmperor

"Take Felan and a couple of his best scouts," he answered, relieved to see her taking the matter seriously.

"But he's in charge, not you. Understand? If he says it's time to leave, you leave. I can't have you using your importance to me to pull rank." He clearly wasn't her brother at that moment; he was her commander.

DragonSong

"Yes, ser." She nodded sharply, every inch one of his soldiers. "Understood."

She tried not to let it rankle her that Felan would technically outrank her--the wolf was just a little over a year older than her, and it was difficult to see him as anything but one of her--occasionally irritating--childhood playmates.

Of course, that was part and parcel of being an Ulfar. Their childhoods were short, but always close behind them. They didn't live long enough for it to be otherwise.

"How long do we have?" Shyla asked, determinedly putting that thought from her mind. As much as she could, anyway. "And when should I tell them to be ready to leave?"

MadEmperor

"You'll have until the next full moon. Including travel time, that should give you about half a week to investigate. Unless you think you'll need more." He seemed to take comfort in being able to make a decision with less riding on it than all their lives. Not just theirs; every shifter in the mountains was in danger.

DragonSong

"I can do that," Shyla replied quickly, not wanting to risk him changing his mind. "I'll go find Felan; we can be on the road in an hour, if he's got his scouts ready."

She started toward the entrance of the command tent, then hesitated. Turning back to Aeris, she added more softly, "I'll be fine. And back soon. I promise."

MadEmperor

The young squad leader prepared quickly, waiting for her eagerly at the edge of the encampment. He acted like he was playing it cool, but everyone knew Felan had a thing for her. Hell, half the boys in her age group have had a crush on her at one time or another.  Of course, Aeris would go berserk if any of them hurt her in any way.

DragonSong

"Ready?" It was a rhetorical question; the Howlers were nothing if not efficient, and if they were told to be ready by a certain time, then they would be ready.

Shyla was doing her best not to seem too eager, though she knew her group would be just as aware as she was that this was the first time she was going on an away mission without Aeris.

When Felan gave her an affirmative, she nodded briskly. "Right. We moving out then?"

One of Felan's scouts—a cousin or second-cousin or something—reached out as though to offer Shyla a guiding hand as she shifted her satchel.

The young healer snapped her head toward him with bared teeth, and he yanked his hand back quickly. She turned her head in Felan's direction, clearly with something of a dawning realization.

Right. The Howlers were a big enough pack that not all of them were familiar with how competent Shyla was, and sometimes saw her only as the sickly girl that the old Alpha had taken pity on. In her excitement to be out on a proper mission, she hadn't really considered how some of Felan's scouts might react to her presence.

MadEmperor

Felan laughed out loud as Shyla put the scout in his place. "Careful Logar, or she might just take a finger next time!"

"Now if we're done baring fangs, let's be off!" he commanded, back to business. With that, the small team headed south.

Aeris watched from a distance as they departed, praying that this hadn't been a terrible mistake.

DragonSong

Shyla nodded briskly, deferring to Felan's position of command in the group despite still being a little peeved, and quickly mounted up. While the fully lycan members of the pack--those who were born Ulfars rather than marrying into the family--could easily outpace a horse if they put their minds to it (not to mention how most equines were skittish around large wolffolk), the Howlers did keep a small pack of riding dogs to hand for those who might need them.

Shyla's mount had a coat in varying shades of tan and gray that she'd dubbed "Whiskey" as a pup, when Aeris's uncle had gifted her the animal and allowed her to use his eyes to see him. The massive canine seemed just as anxious to be on the road as his mistress, huffing and pawing at the ground before the group set out.

There was a moment when she paused, hanging to the back of the group, and twisted in the saddle to turn her upper body toward where she knew Aeris would be standing. Despite not being able to see him, she raised a hand in farewell.

Getting down into the foothills took the better part of the day, so their first night on mission was spent camping at the edge of what most of Connlaoth would dub "civilization". Felan's team were clearly used to this sort of work, setting up their camp with the ease and speed of much practice, while Shyla found herself at something of a loss as to what to do. Normally, in this sort of situation, she'd be prepping healing supplies or finding nearby creatures with which she might be able to utilize her Sight--because normally, she would have been staying in this camp while the rest of the group went off on the mission.

It was...strange, to have the roles reversed.

MadEmperor

The reversal of roles was not lost on the young squad commander. In fact, though he'd never say it to his alpha's face, he thought it was due time Aeris stopped treating Shyla like she were made of glass. She was, if not as capable in a fight as the rest of them, far stronger than she got credit for. But then, he'd had a crush on her for years and was hardly impartial.

Approaching her, he asked, "So... what did you say to him to get him to finally give you more responsibility?"

DragonSong

For lack of a better idea, and for some familiarity, Shyla had settled herself on a scrubby stump and was dusting her fingertips over the variety of vials she kept in her kit. Each lid had a slightly different embossed pattern, allowing her to read their contents without having to borrow someone's eyes or uncap and sniff each vial.

She tilted her head slightly in Felan's direction when she heard him approach, recognizing the rhythm of his footsteps, then huffed quietly at his question. "I pointed out how much easier it would be for me to run recon in one of the foothill villages than it would be for any of you," she replied with a shrug. "Who's gonna suspect little ol' me of relaying information to anyone, let alone the Howlers, right?"

She flashed a half-smirk in his general direction. "I actually offered to go alone first, though I didn't expect him to take me up on it. Kinda surprised me he named your squad immediately to come with me though, Fell." It was light, innocuous teasing, the same kind they'd all tossed back and forth as children; unfortunately, while Shyla could be scarily observant about many things, noticing interest in herself was not one of them.

MadEmperor

"Oh? And why is that? Did you not want the best?" Fell countered, playfully smug. "Seriousy, you could have gotten stuck with Zell."

Though he knew the real reason he was chosen. Aeris knew he'd do anything to do protect her, but without treating her like a caged bird.