Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Family Business [M]

Started by DragonSong, September 25, 2023, 11:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

"The best, he says," Shyla scoffed as she finished her supply inspection and tied down the opening of her satchel. "Like I don't remember every stupid move you've made since you were ten."

Whiskey, settled half curled next to the half-elf, chuffed something that almost sounded like a laugh and flopped his head into Shyla's lap.

Sobering a bit, Shyla turned her head more fully toward Felan and added a little softer, "Seriously though...thanks. I appreciate you not being, y'know--weird about this."

MadEmperor

"Not you too, ya big mutt!" Fell laughed, giving the creature a scratch.

Shyly, but gently, put a big hand on her shoulder. "Me? Weird? I was afraid you'd be weird about taking orders from me. Though, for what it's worth, I'm really hoping this will go smoothly enough that I won't have to give any."

DragonSong

Whiskey thumped his tail against the ground twice and lapped at Fell's clawed hand.

Shyla exhaled and nodded heavily when the hand moved to hers shoulder. "Yeah. Me too."

Just because she knew she could handle herself if it came down to it didn't mean she wanted this mission to go sour enough that she wound up in that kind of situation. Especially not if it put any of her packmates in danger.

Shaking herself, she said with only slightly forced brightness, "Well, we've got our best shot at that happening if we're well-rested. We should probably turn in--who's on first watch?"

MadEmperor

"That would be Riza," he answered. "She may not like you, but she's good at what she does. Besides, you're still family."

"Oh, I like her fine," the gruff female interjected, smirking slightly, "It's that damned pedestal Aeris puts her on that I don't like. He plays favorites and we all know it."

DragonSong

Shyla stiffened and had to bite down on a growl--even though she wasn't a wolf herself, she'd been raised with them, and certain mannerisms had worn off on her. She took a breath and forced herself not to react to Riza's baiting.

There was no good reaction to the situation: if she sunk to her own jabs, she came off as exactly the immature, inexperienced kid she was trying to prove to Aeris she wasn't. And if she was too swift to defend his commanded decisions, it made it look like she was fighting his battles--or like he was doing exactly what Riza accused, playing favorites.

So instead of snapping back something about how the only reason Riza was even in Felan's squad was because her sister had nagged Aeris for months to get her there, Shyla just nodded in the wolf's direction and said coolly, "Thanks for the watch. We're depending on you."

MadEmperor

With Shyla not taking the bait, Riza lost interest in the game. With a curt grunt, she went back to watching the horizon.

Fell resisted the urge to laugh at how Shyla put Riza in her place with gratitude. "Well, like you said, time to get what sleep you can. You'll head into town in the morning."

DragonSong

"Ser, yes, ser." She shot him a quick smile and a theatrically severe salute.

She settled in to sleep curled toward the fire, with Whiskey's large body arced around her back.

Tomorrow. Tomorrow, she was on her own. Properly on her own, for the first time since...well. Since she could remember, really.

...Weird.

MadEmperor

"Town" was on the generous side of what qualified as civilization. Sure, it had buildings and walls, but anyone willing to live this close to the mountains was going to be a tougher, wilder kind of Connloathian. That, coupled with distance from both secular and religious authority, was the perfect breeding ground for superstition and zealous, unsanctioned practices. No doubt some of those who attacked the mountain wolves hailed from it. And sympathy was not with the victims.

DragonSong

Shyla left Felan and his scouts at the edge of the trees and made her way into town alone. Well, except for Whiskey--riding dogs weren't common, but they were prolific enough this far north that he shouldn't draw too much attention.

There was a community stable near the tiny inn at the edge of what could be called the town proper where she paid a hostler to take care of the animal. She unloaded a walking stick from her pack--a tool she didn't usually need in the Howlers' encampment, but definitely came in handy in new environments--before making her way into the inn itself.

Immediately, she was assaulted with the noise. And then the smell--human bodies and alcohol and food and worn wood all blending into a veritable wall of sensory information. She actually swayed in place a moment, then forced her shoulders to straighten and started making her was cautiously toward the densest cluster of sound--where she assumed the bar was.

She kept one hand on the wall to help orient herself as she moved; she didn't see it, but a few of the patrons who glanced over and seemed to realize why she was moving in such a way actually gave her some room. Whether that was out of courtesy or superstition about conditions like blindness was unclear.

Eventually, she felt the edge of the bar and stopped. She didn't quite want to risk finding a seat, so she just cleared her throat and called a cautious, "Excuse me?" and hoped that was enough to get the barkeep's attention.

MadEmperor

The barkeep, a hard-looking man with a full beard and a fuller gut, paused in his cleaning of the counter to look at her. With what she could only assume was a frown of disapproval, he asked, "What can I get you, miss?"

DragonSong

"Cider, please." She smiled in the direction of his voice and hoped the faint nervous waver in her voice would help sell her bit rather than make her seem suspicious. "I'm, ah, not exactly from around here, but I'll have whatever's local."

She waited a beat, then put forward cautiously, "Do you happen to know where I could find supplies in town? I'm...planning to travel through the foothills, but I'd heard there was some...trouble in the mountains recently."

MadEmperor

The man began pouring her some apple cider as he contemplated her question. "Trouble is putting it lightly. The damned shifters are on the warpath, killing every hunter they come across. But don't you worry little lady, the militia will take care of the monsters soon enough."

The zealots, it seemed, were not above using misinformation to get the locals on their side. But, one supposed, they were hunters. Just not innocent ones.

"As for supplies, the general store is a few buildings further into town."

DragonSong

"Oh?" She carefully reached for the glass of cider--sniffing it before she sipped to make sure it was, in fact, cider--and worked to keep her face in an expression of nervous curiosity rather than rising anger. "Perhaps I should wait, then," she murmured. "If you say the...the militia are going to handle the problem."

She took anther sip. "Any idea when the roads might be clear?"

MadEmperor

"You didn't hear it from me," he said, leaning in conspiratorially, apparently quite the gossip. "But they say our stalwart defenders brought some species of nasty up from Draconi that just loves the taste of wolf."

"True or not, Father Nazan's been preaching an imminent holy judgment of the mountain heathens. And it's about time if you ask me. The disappearing travelers have to stop."

Of course, it couldn't just be that the Kilanthros were incredibly treacherous.

DragonSong

Resisting the urge to snap something about gullible, bigoted idiots, Shyla breathed, "Disappearing travelers?" She widened her eyes. "Oh my. Well, yes, I hope that does stop soon--are the, uh...the reinforcements from the Draconi already here? Or might we be waiting a few weeks before it's safe to travel?"

She didn't think she was pushing too hard--if she really was just a traveler assessing the safety of the roads, it would make sense for her to be concerned about when her own journey might take place. "Perhaps this--this Father Nazan might be able to tell me more?" she risked asking.

MadEmperor

The man grew slightly suspicious of the strange half-elf girl in front of him. "Where did you say you were headed? And I hope not by yourself."

DragonSong

"Oh, no, of course not by myself!" Shyla said quickly.

Damnit.

With something of a sheepish laugh, she tried to backtrack. "I'm meeting the rest of my party here actually, tomorrow. I just thought I should see what the general feeling around town was about mountain travel." She ducked her head and reached for her cider glass—intentionally missing the first time—and brought it to her lips. "I just want to be as prepared as I can be."

There. Just a nervous girl unfamiliar with the area, asking questions to try to find her feet.

She hoped.

MadEmperor

That seemed to satisfy him. After all, what harm could the girl cause?

"Well, I suppose I can respect that," he allowed. "Travel can be dangerous for anyone, not least of all the blind. It's definitely best to be prepared."

"If you're really worried about the wolf situation, you should ask Brother Lukas; the Father is a busy man. Or possibly Eglin. He runs the militia."

DragonSong

Shyla nodded quickly, shooting a grateful smile in his direction. "I'll do that, thank you." She sipped at her drink again, mind whirring through the options in front of her as she tried to seem outwardly unbothered.

"Where might I find Brother Lukas?" she asked after a few moments. That seemed to her the best first move; this Eglin likely knew more about the tactical moves of the "militia", but if she wanted to know how deep the rot of zealotry ran, than a religious figure was who she should be talking to.

MadEmperor

"He should be in the chapel, cleaning up after this morning's mass. If you hurry, you should catch him before he's on to the next task," the man informed her, suspicion all but forgotten.