Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Family Business [M]

Started by DragonSong, September 25, 2023, 11:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Shyla winced a bit at that, but moved quickly to sit by Fell's bed. "Who, me? Nah, just...busy," she said lamely, then cleared her throat. "How are you--I mean, how do you feel?" She had to resist the urge to check his bandaging--she wasn't the only competent healer that the Howlers had. She settled for wringing her hands in her lap. "I mean, I heard you've been mending pretty fast but... How do you think you feel?"

MadEmperor

"I feel better now." Fell smiled softly. "I—err... I mean, I'm almost mended. I won't be up and about for another week, at least, but..."

He grinned. "Shy, I can shift now! I mean, I could if they let me more than the one time so they could treat my wound without fur getting in the way. I'm fantastic. And it's all thanks to you and your brother."

DragonSong

Shyla smiled slightly, vaguely. "I mean, I didn't do anything but get stabbed," she huffed, then winced. She hadn't wanted to linger on Meerin and his faction, but...

"Listen, Fell, I--" Oh fuck this is not what I came here to talk about, shut up shut up! "I'm sorry about Gerhardt," she found herself saying in a quiet rush.

She had no lost love for the man, but... He had been Fell's grandfather. Even if Aeris had more of a hand in the younger man's upbringing, that still--she felt like she had to acknowledge that might mean something to him.

MadEmperor

Fell averted his eyes, not that she could tell. "Don't be. Not after what he did to you because of some insane dream of making me Alpha." The emotions in his voice were conflicted, but the hurt was stronger than any filial piety.

"I would never have gone along with it. You know that, right?" he implored. "I always had faith that Aeris was right; that he would save us."

DragonSong

"Oh, of course I know, Fell," she assured him quickly. "I just--Look, he might have been a bastard, but that doesn't mean...you're allowed to miss him, is all. The parts of him that were kind to you."

She shrugged awkwardly. "I...don't even know what I'm trying to say. Forget it." She gave herself a little shake with a small, dismissive snort.

"So! How does it feel? Being able to shift, I mean--aside from the whole still on bedrest part."

MadEmperor

"Oh, it's amazing." He grinned excitedly. "It feels like there's this part of me that was always just out of reach, but now I can finally grasp it. I'm being dramatic here, but imagine if you suddenly weren't blind anymore; your eyes were always there, but you couldn't access their gifts. It's like that."

DragonSong

She smiled softly. "I'm glad. I mean--mostly about the whole not dying early part, but...I'm glad."

She hesitated a moment, then shifted slightly to better face him and asked cautiously, "Can I...see?"

She held her hand out to him; she wasn't asking for his eyes to use her Sight, but to "see" him the way she would normally experience the world. Touch, sound, and scent were how she best identified her pack members, and it was...strange, to have them all suddenly able to be something different that she hadn't yet gotten to experience.

MadEmperor

Fell smiled warmly, smirking. "And let you see how much of a hunk this 'big fuzzy oaf' really is? Of course."

Gods. How did she not notice when he said things like that?

DragonSong

Shyla huffed and rolled her eyes at him. "You're an idiot, is what you are," she chuckled, but there was a faint hitch to her voice that wasn't usually there after he said something like that. What she'd always assumed was simply teasing felt...different.

With his permission, she reached up to let her fingertips find the edge of his jaw. A tiny, sharp breath drew in between her teeth as she felt skin instead of fur; of course she'd known logically that was what she would feel, but it was one thing to know it and anther to experience it.

She drew her fingers upward in a feather-light touch to trace the shape of his face, the planes of his cheeks and jaw, the arch of his brow, the shape of his nose. She hesitated when she reached his mouth, feeling her breath catch as it abruptly occurred to her how...intimate this could be.

She snatched her hand back quickly, swallowing. "Th-thanks," she mumbled toward her lap, cheeks warm.

MadEmperor

"I'd ask if you like what you se—feel, but I guess you don't really have much to compare it to," he answered with a smile.

But, when he noticed the color in her cheeks, his own reddened. Had she finally realized he liked her? The thought made him feel incredibly awkward. "I wish I could join the festivities... with you."

DragonSong

"I..."

Shyla wet her lips nervously. Her moth was suddenly very dry. "I, ah...me too," she mumbled. "Doesn't seem fair, everyone having this big feast and you being stuck in..."

She swallowed. That wasn't what he meant and she knew it.

"Fell, we—I— Did you mean it?" she blurted out suddenly, and immediately wished she could snatch the words out of the air and stuff them back into her mouth. That was not how she'd intended to broach this subject.

MadEmperor

Fell's momentary silence was more than enough to tell her that time had brought back the memory of what he had said at death's door. "Shy... I... I shouldn't have told you that way. It wasn't fair. I just... couldn't die without finally having the nerve to say it. And yes, Shy, I meant it. I'm ridiculously in love with you and I have been for a long time."

DragonSong

"No, I--I know." She twisted her fingers together in her lap. "I mean...I'll be honest, I was furious with you about it for a while, but mostly just because...I was worried about you. If I were in your place--well, I wouldn't have wanted to go out keeping something like that a secret either."

She took a careful breath. "I...care about you a lot, Fell. You're one of my best friends, but I...I've never really thought about this before. About...you. Like that." She cleared her throat. "I actually--I made a point not to think about it. For a long time. For...always, really. Because if I let myself feel l-like that about someone and things went wrong It..." She swallowed sharply, eyes starting to prickle. "I couldn't let myself think about that sort of thing, with the curse. I don't think...I couldn't stand to have kids just to watch them--"

She had to cut herself off, turning her face away and trying to steady her breathing. She knew this probably wasn't what Fell had been considering when he delivered his confession--in fact, it wasn't what most Ulfars thought about. They couldn't afford to; they had to marry young, to bear pups young, just to keep the pack alive.

But...for her, and people like her, like Raelta... How could they not think about it? About outliving not only their partner, but their children? Until a week ago, that had simply been their reality. It would take a while before she could even broach that idea in her mind without it tangling up in grief and confusion.

MadEmperor

Fell placed a tender hand on hers and gave it a squeeze. "I get it. I do. My mother was always terrified, knowing that I would almost certainly die before her. But none of us have to fear the curse any more. We can think about more than producing the next generation; we can think about being happy and I can't think of anyone that would make me happier than you."

DragonSong

"But how do you know that?" Shyla asked, tone caught between disbelieving and confused. "I mean, it just--what if I didn't? What if we--if we were together, like that, and it...didn't work?"

She let her head drop forward with a sigh. "I don't want to lose you as a friend, Fell..."

MadEmperor

"Never," the young man answered fervently, completely confident that could happen.

"I know that the same way I know your brother would succeed. I have faith. And, even if I didn't, the only way to ever be happy is to risk heartache."

DragonSong

She could see where he was coming from with that... But it just wasn't so easy for her. She honestly didn't even know why, it just...wasn't.

"Can you...give me some time?" she asked softly after a long moment. "I know it's not entirely fair to ask, when I'm the one who came to talk to you, but I just...Fell, I don't know what I want anymore. The curse is gone, and now I—I don't know what to do if I'm not fighting for that exact thing to happen. I don't know what to do, I don't know what I want..."

MadEmperor

While his disappointment was palpable, he nodded with a sigh. "I get it. You've never let yourself really think about what comes after the curse. You let the struggle define you and now you don't even know who you are without it.

"You're far from the only one. I may daydream, but I don't know who I am without the fight either. So... maybe we both need time."

DragonSong

Shyla started to reach for him, hesitated, then carefully put her hand on his arm.

"You know I love you," she murmured softly. "I just...it's a different thing than being in love. I just need some time. To...figure things out."

She tried for a smile and squeezed his arm gently. "But I promise, once I've got my head on straight about this stuff, you'll be the first to know."

MadEmperor

Fell smiled and reached up to stroke her arm in return. "I'll hold you to that."

The healer on duty cleared his throat. "I hate to break this up, but Felan needs his rest if he's going to get better."