Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

I Know You...

Started by DragonSong, September 30, 2023, 12:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

@MadEmperor

Nani had thought that the most difficult part of leaving home would be the actual leaving. And yes, those first few steps onto the deck of a ship had been a strange combination of exhilarating and agonizing--even with her mentor at her back, telling her she was making the right choice, a part of her couldn't help feeling like maybe, just maybe, she was in fact making a horrible mistake instead.

But that had been a little over three months ago, and honestly? She would have given quite a lot to be back thinking that that was going to be the worst of it.

The mainland was so crowded! Granted, that might have had more to do with the densely clustered port town where she'd landed than with the mainland in general, but she had seen very little in her travels since then to disabuse her of the notion. First she'd joined up with a trade caravan heading from the coast inland, toward Ketra--and of course that too had been crowded, dozens of strangers camping in close proximity. Most, if not all, of them had obviously not met a Yoreiqi before; she'd spent a majority of those weeks feeling stares that ranged from curious to awed to hostile constantly on her back. Or, perhaps more likely, on her wings.

And then the city itself: noise noise noise, people people people. So many people, and yet somehow none of them were the one she was looking for.

Because that was why she had come here, why she had left everything and everyone she'd ever known an ocean away. She was looking for someone...she just wasn't sure  who.

I'll know when I find them. She repeated the mantra to herself as she walked. It was what her mentor had told her, when her dreams became to frequent to ignore and they finally decided she needed to follow the pull where it led. I'll know when I find them...

The current stretch of land she was passing through was at least less stifling than most of her experiences on the mainland had been thus far. She thought it was farmland of some kind--she'd passed a field a few miles back boasting some sort of shaggy, hoofed animals kept penned together, and the one on her right now was clearly growing a crop, albeit one she didn't recognize. She thought it might be a grain of some kind.

"I'll know when I find them," she sighed aloud to herself, stopping in the middle of the thin dirt road. Because finding them would have to wait--she was exhausted, and sunset was coming on fast. She needed to find a place to rest for the night.

There was a small house in the distance. Probably the home of whoever owned this particular field. Hoping the farmer in question would be willing to barter for a night of shelter, she squared her shoulders, fluffed her wings, and set off again with a bit more purpose in her step.

MadEmperor

Einhardt had been enjoying the evening's solitude as he ate his dinner of stew. There was something about food made from ingredients you yourself grew that made everything taste better. He had never understood the reward of hard work before settling in the farmlands of Tintintin.

But then there was a knock at the door, and the moment was lost. He poured the remains of his meal in Vander's bowl, said canine rushing to gobble them up, and approached the door. After a breath, he put on his least scowling face and opened the door halfway.

Wings? I didn't expect that when I woke up this morning.

"Can I help you?" he inquired, a little suspicious of a random stranger on his doorstep. Was she a bounty hunter? She did look like she could handle herself in a fight.

DragonSong

Oh.

Oh, that--

Nani frowned abruptly, and reached up to rub at the center of her chest. It was where she normally felt what she called her "pull", and for some reason though it had been growing stronger by the day since she'd crossed the Thunderblacks, all of a sudden it seemed to be...fading.

Odd.

She gave herself a brisk shake and refocused on the person in front of her. She was just tired, that was all. "Ah, yes, I'm rather hoping so."

She offered the farmer what she hoped was a friendly-and-not-in-a-suspicious-way smile and shifted the strap of her pack over her shoulder a bit. Though she knew she looked out of place in Adela, she had at least changed her Yoreiqi clothes for soft breeches and a loose shirt some months ago. Hopefully she didn't look too odd. "I'm...well, I'm a traveler, and I was wondering if you might have a barn or something I could stay the night in? Sunset came on faster than I was expecting, I'm afraid. I can pay!"

She'd learned quickly that the ability to pay with coin was something most mainlanders looked for in a transaction. She started digging through her pockets to fish out what meager coin she did have while at the same time adding, "Or if you need any work done in exchange for shelter?" She'd done that a few times over the last several weeks too.

MadEmperor

Ein thought it over. He supposed this... a Yoreiqi, maybe?... could be helpful if she knew how to milk a cow. His large, rough hands weren't the best for such gentle work.

"Ever milked a cow?" he asked.

DragonSong

Nani perked up. "No, but I've milked goats!" It couldn't be that different, right? Just...bigger. And from what she'd heard, cows were more placid animals, which could only make the task easier.

A chill breeze swooped northward over the fields and she shivered, fluffing her feathers up and hunching her shoulders to draw her wings around herself a bit more. She may have been on the mainland for a while now, but the weather was still...an adjustment.

"Does...that mean I can stay?" she ventured slowly, with another cautious little smile.

MadEmperor

He nodded. "Yes. You can sleep in the barn. But I expect you to be ready to work bright and early. I have no intention of delaying the morning chores so you can sleep." He spoke as if he had been left high and dry by travelers before, but he still wanted to be hospitable.

DragonSong

"Of course!" She beamed at him. "Thank you very much."

She shifted her pack again and glanced over her shoulder, then looked back to him a bit sheepishly. "Er...would you be able to point me in the right direction?" She assumed the barn was the building a little ways off to the east, but there was no clear path, and she didn't want to wind up on someone else's property accidentally.

MadEmperor

He scratched the back of his head thoughtfully. "I'll do you one better and take you myself. I have to check on the animals before the evening's done anyway."

He stepped out and closed the door behind him, leaving Vander to his scraps. "It's this way," he said, heading around behind the house. A barn she hadn't noticed before stood looming across a patch of barren earth criss-crossed with wheel tracks.

DragonSong

Her smile widened. "Then thank you again."

She let him take the lead toward the barn--ah, it seemed she would have been heading to the wrong place, if left to her own devices--but once she had a fair idea of where he was leading her she increased her stride to fall in more beside him rather than behind.

"Is it just cows?" she asked as they walked. "Or do you keep other animals as well?" Yoreiq's topography wasn't exactly conducive to livestock farming, so pretty much all she knew about it she had learned since her arrival to the mainland. She still had questions, to put it mildly.

MadEmperor

"Just a pair of cows," Ein clarified as he walked. "Also a few pigs and chickens. I mainly grow grain."

"It's a simple life, but I enjoy the relative solitude. I've never much cared for people."

DragonSong

Nani winced slightly. "Er, sorry?" she offered. She was the one interrupting his solitude after all.

Clearing her throat, she asked a little more cautiously, not wanting to irritate him, "Those grain fields, then--those are yours? We don't have that plant on the islands, I wasn't sure what it was."

MadEmperor

"Only the nearest one. Any more would be too much for one man," he answered.

When the rest of her question registered, he blinked. "You don't have... wheat? How do you make bread?"

DragonSong

Nani returned his look, evidently equally confused. "With hirsu'a. Err--" She frowned, trying to think of the translation. While her Common was fluent enough, albeit with more than a hint of an accent, there were certain words or phrases that she'd never had to find an equivalent for. "It's...it looks sort of like rice? But smaller and rounder. It--"

She frowned, mumbled something frustrated in Yoreiqi, then waved a hand vaguely. "Well, anyway. It doesn't rise quite the same way--I'd never seen bread loaves like the ones you have hear before I left home." She smiled at him a bit and shrugged. "I like them." Glancing back at the field, she repeated softly to herself, "Wheat," committing the word to memory.

MadEmperor

Ein had only seen rice once after raiding a merchant caravan, but he remembered finding its shape odd. It tasted good, though, once they figured out how to cook it. Of course, the wine was more memorable.

"So I was right. You are Yoreiqi," he said with interest. "I've never met one of your people before. I was curious about the wings, but was afraid to ask."

DragonSong

She laughed lightly and nodded. "You'd be one of the few mainlanders I've met too afraid to ask," she noted wryly. Her wings fluttered a bit as she shrugged and added, "Though most people just assume. Yes, I am Yoreiqi."

Stepping lightly over a small rock in the path, she mused, "I believe I have been the first of my people about half the people I have encountered so far have met. It was...strange." She shrugged. "My village isn't so far from Ainu, so I've certainly met mainland traders before I cam here. I suppose I didn't think much about how few of my kin really make the journey in reverse."

MadEmperor

"What makes you one of the exceptions? If I may ask." Normally, he didn't want to pry into anyone's business any more than he wanted anyone to pry into his. But something about her made his curiosity outpace his discretion. Perhaps it was the novelty. Or maybe he was more lonely than he cared to admit, even to himself.

DragonSong

Nani sighed. That was the question, wasn't it?

"I'm...afraid I don't have a very satisfying answer to that," she said softly. "I suppose the long and short of it is that, well...I simply felt as though I had to leave."

She shrugged again, unsure exactly how much she should tell him. It wasn't suspicion, exactly--while she wasn't quite so naive that she wanted to tell just any random stranger her life story, she also didn't think there was really much danger sharing her odd little quest could put her in. It was more than she was still unfamiliar with the social rhythms most mainlanders seemed to know, and she wasn't sure how much was appropriate to share.

"I'm...looking for someone," she settled on after a few moments. "I just...don't exactly know who."

MadEmperor

The big man hadn't actually expected her to provide even that specific an answer. He fully expected to be told to mind his business. Perhaps the Yoreiqi were just a more open people?

"Surely you know something about them, or you wouldn't be looking," he found himself saying.

DragonSong

She made a sound that was half a laugh, half a sigh and shrugged her shoulders again. Her wings echoed the movement, unfurling slightly before she shuffled them back into place.

"Not enough. Just that I have to find them. And...help them, I think." Her hand drifted to the strap of her pack. "Ina, my mentor...they traded for a book. It took months to get the request to the mainland--I didn't even know they'd done it until they gave it to me." She pursed her lips. "It's a study of connective magics. The sorts of powers that draw people together--that's what they think is happening to me. But I'm afraid it's not very specific."

That, and while her Common was more than passable, the book was mostly written in a flowery, academic style that made her translation efforts a tedious, troublesome slog. She knew the book could prove invaluable in her quest, but so far it hadn't really taught her much of anything.

MadEmperor

Ein was beginning to wonder if he made a mistake opening the door. She was either unhinged or was deep into things he wanted nothing to do with. He couldn't risk drawing the kind of attention such a person brings.

"I'm afraid I'm not well-schooled enough to be of much help with that." His expression gave away his discomfort. He had never been skilled at keeping his emotions to himself.