Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

I Know You...

Started by DragonSong, September 30, 2023, 12:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Feeling him suddenly tense up awkwardly, Nani quickly stepped back. "Oh--um, sorry," she muttered, glancing away and scuffing one foot against the earth.

She hadn't really been thinking, just...reacted. But now she thought of it, she and Ein had never exactly been particularly physically affectionate with one another.

Gods, she missed home. Missed the comfort of casual contact.

"We should, ah, try again," she said quickly, turning to make her way back up the hill. "Get some practice in."

MadEmperor

Several practice attempts later... 

Ein soared over the village with a whoop. "Catch me, if you can!" He felt like an entirely different person in the air—someone vibrant and happy. For the moment, he wasn't hung up on whether or not he deserved that. He was just... in the moment for once in his life.

DragonSong

More content to coast on the updrafts, Nani chuckled a bit and beat her wings twice to start to match his speed.

"Above you," she called lightly as she caught a breeze and allowed it to buoy her a good fifteen feet up and over him before diving shallowly back to his altitude.

MadEmperor

Ein laughed. "Playing it that way, are we?"

He caught an updraft and rocketed further skyward with a few beats of his wings. This was what true freedom was like: the freedom to go anywhere and see everything.

DragonSong

Nani watched him rise with a small smile before beating her wings firmly to follow him upward.

"I keep expecting it to stop working," she laughed lightly. "Whatever Rosamund did to my wings, I keep expecting it to...wear off."

MadEmperor

Ein smirked. "I know what you mean; I keep expecting to suddenly change back into a human and plummet to my doom."

As they reached the edge of town, he banked back towards Rosamund's house. "On that note, perhaps we shouldn't tempt fate further... for now."

DragonSong

"You're probably right." She chuckled again and followed him into a shallow bank and dive, then touched down and ran a few paces to lose momentum from her flight.

She stretched and flexed her wings a few times before folding them into her back.

She glanced an Ein and smiled slightly. "I have a feeling we're going to be sore tomorrow."

MadEmperor

Ein touched down an instant before her, but not as gracefully, nearly losing his balance. Folding his own wings, he nodded. "Agreed."

Rosamund, who had been watching from outside the back door, clapped. Smiling, she said, "Impressive for a first flight. At least, I would think."

DragonSong

Nani shrugged with a little smile and spread her hands. "Honestly? I don't much know myself. But it felt good."

Her smile widened when Vander came bounding over to them, and she knelt to wrap her arms around his neck. "Aw, did you miss us? Sorry, boy--we'll figure something out for you."

MadEmperor

Rosamund laughed. "I've got just the thing in mind for that. I can bake some treats for him with a featherweight potion mixed in. That way, you can easily carry him if you need to."

"I suppose that is more realistic than finding a way to give him wings too," Ein chuckled lightly as he too kneeled to give Vander some affection.

Vander grunted with pleasure at the attention, rolling over for a belly rub that Ein was happy to provide.

DragonSong

"That sounds like a wonderful solution," Nani said with a smile for the wise woman. The expression softened slightly and she tilted her head a bit. "Thank you, for everything you've done for us. Truly."

MadEmperor

Rosamund waved the gratitude away. "No need for thanks; I am merely setting right the mistakes of my predecessors. They always regretted how what they did tore Ein up inside."

"But you've gone the extra mile, so thank you all the same," Ein said, not letting her off that easy.

DragonSong

Nani nodded rapidly in agreement, still smiling at Rosamund. "If there's anything we can ever do to repay your kindness, don't hesitate to ask," she said softly.

Vander rolled up from his belly rubs and barked agreement, ears perked happily.

MadEmperor

"I'll... keep that in mind." The Wise Woman smiled shyly, finding receiving gratitude awkward.

Ein could sympathize, having never been one for niceties. So, a change of subject was in order. He could smell food, so he went with that.

[ Continued Here ]