Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Homecomings [MadEmperor] [M]

Started by DragonSong, February 09, 2023, 12:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

It was clear that these militant zealots were not prepared for the reality of facing a dragon; they had prepared for shifters, for what they saw as dangerous magic, but the true advantage of their first attack had been that they struck Snow's pack while they slept.

Against even a wounded, pissed off wolf and a newly formed dragon protecting his mate, they were definitely outclassed.

Or they would be, if not for Connlaoth's infernal killing machines. Lake had the presence of mind to target the remaining gunmen, knocking the few dogs aside so fiercely that one struck a tree trunk with an audible crack of splintering wood.

MadEmperor

Several archers drew their short swords and went after Lake while the rest fired arrows after him.

One of the melee attackers lit a threw something at the dragon. The bottle shattered as a bullet from a pistol struck it, splattering a viscous substance across Kahroan's eyes. With a roar, he blindly spewed freezing flames in the general direction of his attackers.

He was suddenly in grave danger.

DragonSong

Lake was forced back toward the cabin, giving every each of ground with snarls and snaps, but unable to hold the line with Kahroan struck blind. He tried to leap to the dragon's defense, but the zealots had formed a wedge to split them apart.

And there were more, filling in along the treeline. It seemed the bulk of their force had been summoned by the sound of the fight; moonlight glinted off a row of rifle barrels.

The first shot rang out, and Lake crouched low. It was becoming apparent that this was not a fight they could win. He tried to call to his sons, telling them to run—his heart breaking for the daughter who would be left behind, the mate he would never see again, the grandchildren he would never meet...

The first volley was loaded, two more shots following that first—and then it suddenly stopped. There was rustling, cracking, then screaming in the trees.

Lake snapped his head up as the wind changed and he was struck with an unfamiliar scent. Unfamiliar but familiar, paradoxically. Who—?

A massive shape suddenly tore from the trees, humanoid but hulking and running on all fours. It leaped for the group of melee attackers that had been herding Kahroan away from the cabin, ripping into one of them with both fangs and a pair of wickedly curved blades held in clawed hands.

More of them poured from the trees, shrieking and howling as they set on the human hunters with a bloody vengeance.

MadEmperor

Kahroan quickly figured out that help had arrived. The dragon ceased his blind attacks and craned his neck around to pull a spear from his side.

One of the large forms leaped through the hunters, cutting down a pair of swordsmen with the blades strapped to its thick forearms. It landed in a crouch between the dragon and his attackers.

"I know not why you protect this pack, great dragon, but you have my gratitude. You can leave the rest of these bastards to us." The wolfman spoke with a rough but noble air, his red cape flowing in the light wind. He was a heroic, but savage figure.

But he didn't linger. The warrior leaped back into action with savage enthusiasm, catching a spear between his blades before it could impale him. He sent the weapon flying before ripping out the wielder's throat with his teeth.

The zealots nearby began to flee, but the wolfman wouldn't have that. "Let none escape! They must pay for their crimes with their lives!" he ordered, giving pursuit.

Kahroan let himself collapse to the ground, suffering from a multitude of small wounds. He'd live even without treatment, but it looked painful. But without being able to see, he couldn't be sure how hurt he was.

DragonSong

The Red Howlers set to their task with a righteous fury; they were so efficient that the Longfang pack were allowed a moment to breathe. Lake limped his way over to Kahroan's side and helped to pull the spear from his flank.

Shadow and Snow had emerged from the cabin, clustering around the dragon even as they watched the wolfmen drive back the last of the hunters.

"Who in--? Dad?" Shadow looked to his father, clearly bemused. Lake shook his head slowly.

I'd heard rumors, but...

"River, stop!"

All three wolves snapped their heads toward the cabin door to see Ash chasing after his sister. River must have woken in the noise of the battle, and despite her brother's frantic protests, she was stumbling toward Kahroan.

MadEmperor

Kahroan brought his head around to look, but everything was so blurry that he couldn't tell which shape was his mate. Snow could see why the dragon couldn't; there was oil splattered across his eyes. It was the same thick oil that the zealots had used to destroy his pack-home.

"River? You shouldn't be out here. You shouldn't even be moving," Kah protested.

DragonSong

"Oh my gods, what happened?" River demanded, blatantly ignoring the reprimand from her mate and brother both. She managed to stagger to Kahroan's head before her knees gave out and she sank down beside him, trying not to but unable to help leaning against the dragon. Her ribs still throbbed with a jagged pain, but she paid it no mind.

MadEmperor

Kahroan gave a tender, pained coo. "I don't think I'm hurt that bad, really. I just... can't see right now. They splashed something in my eyes."

The fear that he might never see her face again haunted his every word. That hurt more than anything else. 

DragonSong

"Oh, sweetheart..." She stumbled a little closer to his head, trying to reach up to him, but she couldn't keep herself upright. As her legs buckled a second time, Ash caught her and lowered them both to the ground.

"You're alright, you're gonna be alright," he muttered, looking from her to Kahroan. "Both of you. We'll...we'll figure something out."

MadEmperor

The wolfman with the red cape returned with a slight, lean girl in tow. She definitely stood out among the large beastmen that had rescued them just before things had been lost. 

"You are fortunate that we were near enough to help." He was grave, but he seemed to have a bit of a proud smirk going. 

DragonSong

Lake took a human shape so he could offer the leader of their rescuers a small bow. "We are grateful," he murmured, the truth of the words plain in the way his voice wavered. "My pack owes you a debt we can never repay."

The girl that the wolfman had brought with him rolled her eyes. "Oh, this one's on the house. Bastards had it coming. So. Who's hurt? Just these two?"

When Shadow, Lake, and Ash all just sort of stared at her—River was leaning heavily against her mate's side, forcing her breathing to come shallow so as not to stress her ribs—she rolled her eyes again.

"I'm the medic. The dragon and the she-wolf seem worst off—am I missing anything?"

MadEmperor

I believe all of us save one are worse for wear. Snow took on his human shape and approached. "I am Snow of the Blackpaw Pack. I did my best to help the Longfang healer keep everyone held together. Please allow me to assist you."

The leader of the rescuers gave the old shifter a look of respect and sympathy. His loss must be unfathomable; that he could continue on said much of his resolve. 

DragonSong

Shyla nodded, approaching Kahroan's head. "It should be easy enough to flush out your eyes--this will probably sting a bit, fair warning--then I can see to her." She waved a hand in River's general direction. "What's your issue? Broken ribs?"

River nodded wearily. "Think so. I...sorta got shot."

The medic's eyebrow quirked up and she turned her head in River's direction, but didn't quite look at her. "Well. Damn. Alright, clearly someone fixed you up enough that you're not actively dying--hold tight a moment. You, Blackpaw, think you can rustle up some bandaging for the worst of the lads?" Back to Kahroan, she said, "No offense, but seeing as you're a fuck-mothering dragon, I'll get your eyes cleared and then focus on the wolves. You'll have to wait a bit before I can look at any of that."

She gestured widely at the scattering of wounds over his flanks, then used the same hand to reach back to the mercenary leader. "Aeris, can I borrow your eyes?"

MadEmperor

The dragon chuckled lightly as Snow headed inside to get bandaging materials. "Yes. I will keep. The others are much, much more pressing."

Aeris stepped forward with a nod and a lightness in his footing that said he was ready for anything... always. "Of course. Use me as you wish."

DragonSong

Shyla rolled her eyes at the wolfman, muttering something about him being too ready to self-sacrifice, but she reached out to take his hand--or, paw. She could form the connection without touch, but it was always easier with contact.

Using Aeris's sight, she gestured for Kahroan to lower his head so she could get at the oil in his eyes, flushing them clear with a small tincture from her pack that smelled almost minty, with a hint of pine.

"And now you." She knelt by River's side, gesturing widely. "Lay down, I need to feel these ribs. You got the bullet out?"

River nodded as she obeyed. "Nora and--" She yelped as Shyla began pressing along her ribs, then gritted her teeth and breathed carefully. "Nora and Snow did, yeah."

The half-elf nodded curtly. "Good. You're lucky to be alive, you know. Doesn't seem like these actually shattered, just cracked. We'll get them bound as tight as we can, and you should take it easy for a few days. I'll have to disinfect the wound, too, but..."

She turned her head back toward the dragon. Voice softening a bit, she concluded, "She should be fine."

MadEmperor

Kahroan stopped blinking away the tincture and sighed with immense relief. The news that his mate would be okay filled the gaping pit of dread in his heart. He craned his long neck around to present his snout for River to hug. 

Looked back at Shyla and the returning Snow with one big blue eye, he said, "Thank you. Both of you."

He would have to thank Nora later. They owed her the most. 

DragonSong

Snow dipped his head to the dragon, but Shyla just huffed and shrugged. "My job, no need to thank me."

She moved to stand, then suddenly swayed as her connection with Aeris broke. She blinked and shook her head, reorienting herself to a lack of sight.

"Where..." River suddenly pushed herself up, wincing. "Where's everyone else?" She had been unconscious when the bulk of the pack had left with the pups--and she had woken in the middle of the skirmish. She was playing a bit of catchup.

MadEmperor

"Don't worry, they fled towards Fendale before the attack." Kah said soothingly, giving her a look that chastised her for moving. 

Noting the way the pair looked at each other, Aeris gave a hearty laugh. "I've always wondered just how a dragon falls in love with a human. A wolf makes much more sense."

DragonSong

Despite the look he gave her, she was upright enough that she could wrap her arms around his snout; which she did, pressing her cheek to his snout and finally releasing an anxious breath she hadn't even realized she'd been holding.

She smiled crookedly at Aeris, giving him a brief nod. "To be fair, he wasn't quite this much of a dragon when we met," she chuckled, looking up at him. Her smile softened and she stroked her hand over his jaw, marveling silently at the reality of his new shape. 

Despite not being able to actually see the details of what was happening, Shyla pulled a face. "Ick. Couples."

MadEmperor

"Don't mind her. She's just jealous." Aeris gave a wolf's equivalent of a smirk. 

"Now, when you say he wasn't this much a dragon..."

Kahroan grew sheepish. "Well, you see..." He explained his situation. 

Aeris grew somber. "I can sympathize. My bloodline is forced to live as neither man nor beast, our shifting locked into the forms you see before you. Shyla is... lucky not to be one of us by blood."