Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Herbs and potions (mad emperor)

Started by Nahashsan, March 07, 2023, 01:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nahashsan

Pearl followed the group into the chamber. She had expected the judges but was not expecting to have a audience.

When beckoned Shimmering Pearl stepped forward. She hadn't been nervous until that moment but all of the sudden it hit her. To calm herself she focused on the judges and on controlling her breathing.

"Yes sir" she whispered back to Volke without looking at him.

MadEmperor

The magus on the left leaned forward to ask, "Candidate Pearl, first we must know what you have accomplished both in your studies and in the practical applications of them. Measurable results are, after all, more important than theory."

Nahashsan

Shimmering Pearl turned to the magus that had addressed her.  "For studies, I have tutored under many great healers including the late Jade Windbeck. As for practical applications, I just saved the life of the village chief Kiko who was suffering from fever and had slipped into a coma. Beyond potion making I have set more broken bones then I can count."

"I also have some magical abilities but they were never the fo us of my studies. I can use magic to stop the bleeding of large wounds and to accelerate the healing of bones."

MadEmperor

"Describe this ailment suffered by the village chief," asked the magus on the right.

Nahashsan

Pearl turned to the right "of course.  Chief Kiko was already in a coma when I got to him. He had a high fever with swelling of the joints. He was only a day or two at the most from dying. Once him recovered enough to talk I learned that it all started with pain and stiffness of the joints which confirmed my diagnosis of Eckhart disease"

MadEmperor

That fact garnered a reaction from the grandmagus in the center. With incredulous interest, he asked, "Eckhart Disease is all but incurable at that advanced a stage. Are we supposed to believe that you treated and reversed it without magic?"

Nahashsan

Shimmering Pearl smiled as she addressed the grandmagus. "I use willow bark to break the fever and burdock root to cleanse the blood given three times a day. For the joints I made a salve of tobacco and night shade to treat the inflammation. Finally a  blend of bitter herbs once a day to restore strength. Eckhart is a nasty disease but is quite treatable."

MadEmperor

"If you were to be brought into our organization, what would you use our resources for?" the grandmagus asked. "By which, I mean, what is your dream research? I encourage you to think big."

Nahashsan

She had to think on this one. What was she hoping to get out of joining, did she have any grand ambitions.

"I know I would like to increase my knowledge of magic since magic is the one weak point of my training. As for my research, I'll be honest, I don't have some lofty goal at the moment. I just wish to better myself and your establishment provides me with resources not found elsewhere."  She looked from one magus to the next. "I wish to be the best healer I can be and I wish to share my knowledge so it is not lost."

MadEmperor

"A noble pursuit, but we aren't a library. We expect you to add to our collective knowledge . Are you confident that you can do this?" the Grandmagus asked.

Nahashsan

"I just cured a man with a all but uncureable disease which was no fluke but a testamentto me skills. I have been doing medicine since I was a small child. I am quite confident that I can contribute to the societies collective knowledge."

MadEmperor

The three conversed in hushed tones and, after a moment, seemed to reach a consensus. The Grandmagus cleared his throat. "Do you understand and accept that once accepted, you will be expected to keep our society a secret from, and also not divulge society secrets to, the outside world, under extreme penalties including death?"

Nahashsan

Pearl waited patiently while the three convened.  "I understand and will keep the secret."

MadEmperor

The masked Grandmagus cleared his throat. "Then, in light of your achievement and of the recommendation of Grandmagus Volke, we hereby accept you into the Society of Learned Antiquarians at the rank of Adeptus."

Volke stepped before her and presented her a ring of membership. "Welcome, Adeptus Pearl."

Nahashsan

She gave polite little bow to the grandmagus "thank you.

She than turned to Volke and accepted the ring.  "And thank you as well". Trying the ring she found that it was a perfect fit.

"Now that I'm a member, do you mind showing me around."