Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Magical Mystical Fox Hunt

Started by MadEmperor, March 21, 2023, 05:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadEmperor

Thrax laughed. "How perfectly devious. Honestly, that's one of my favorite things about you. Oh, the trouble we're going to get into together." He smirked.

DragonSong

Hana grinned in response and raised her teacup. "To trouble," she toasted playfully, before downing the rest of its contents.

There were plenty of temporary residences along the strip of buildings near the docks, but for the first time in a long time Hana found herself in a place where she didn't have even at least a passing familiarity with the city's mood, and so she genuinely didn't know where might be the best place to start.

Of course, in all likelihood they were only going to be staying a day or two, but still. It was unnerving.

MadEmperor

"I know they aren't big on outsiders here, but do they seriously not even have an inn?" Thrax complained incredulously as they searched. "Maybe we should just camp outside town?"

DragonSong

Hana sighed. "Honestly, maybe? I mean, I think these hostels are mostly designed for people who are here to work, y'know? We might not make a very good impression if we're not...pulling our weight."

She paused, glancing up and down the street. "To be entirely frank, I might prefer camping. We're at least used to it, and we don't have to worry about fourteen layers of social niceties the whole night."

MadEmperor

"Oh gods. That has to be my least favorite part of human society. People, seriously, get to the point already! And the more money they have, the worse it is," he agreed emphatically.

"At least gnolls are direct. Even when we lie."

He nodded. "Yeah. Let's make camp. Shouldn't be any large predators close to a trade hub either, so it's still safer than the wilds."

DragonSong

Hana nodded. "Sounds good. Will give us some time to get ourselves sorted with this whole bodyguard-heiress situation too."

She looked around, trying to find the most unobtrusive way out of town. Spotting a side street, she nodded. "This way looks good, c'mon."

MadEmperor

Thrax sneaked along after her as best as a 6'9" gnoll could. Which is to say, not very well. By some miracle, no one noticed them as they slipped out of town.

Thrax yawned awake, scratching his chest as he sat up on his bedroll. "Morning."

DragonSong

"Mmmrmrmmph," Hana responded, curling up even tighter in her own bedroll. "No. No morning. Mornings are evil. Sleep good."

She had changed into her halfway form in her sleep, as usually happened if she wasn't already in it. All three of her tails fluffed up and wrapped around the rest of her body, forming a barrier of white fur.

MadEmperor

"We have a lot to do if you're going to pass an heiress, 'boss'." He smirked as he slipped back into his shirt. "You're not exactly dressed for the part."

DragonSong

Hana moved one tail just enough to glare at him from the tiny gap in fur. "What do you know about how fancy rich girls are supposed to dress?" she grumbled as she reluctantly uncurled and arched her back in a long stretch.

She suddenly paused and gave him a curious look. "Wait—do you know anything about how fancy rich girls are supposed to dress?" Considering their usual haunts—dives, the wilderness, and whatever mode of transport would take them—she'd assumed not, but hells. She'd been surprised before.

MadEmperor

The bard laughed out loud. "No, no, you had it right the first time. Fancy rich girls don't exactly frequent places like the Peach. I've only been hired by a noble once and I didn't exactly strike up a conversation with any of the ladies present. In fact, I was expressly told not to."

DragonSong

Hana frowned as she started shoving things into her pack. "Well that's...fucked up. Sorry, mate, that sucks."

She finished packing and started trying to fiddle with her clothes and hair; the more presentable she managed to make herself actually look, the less work her illusions would have to do.

MadEmperor

He shrugged as he stowed Stormsong in its proper place on his back. "It's--well, not okay--but I'm perfectly comfortable in the knowledge that I'm not meant for that world. A human bard wouldn't really be treated that much differently."

DragonSong

"...Mmm. I guess..." It still ranked at her her, but he clearly didn't want to talk about it, so she let it drop.

Shaking her head, she finished tying her hair back simply and gave her tunic one last brush down before summoning magic to the tips of her fingers and running her hands up the length of her body.

Her simple traveling clothes shimmered, then morphed into a delicate, lacy walking dress, like the kind worn by many minor Serenian nobles, with layers of gossamer fabric in the skirts that fluttered about her when she moved. Her simple braid pinned to the back of her head had been transformed into an elaborate plait that wound around her crown, with a few faux flower hair accessories for good measure. She'd even included some rouge to her cheeks and painted color on her lips.

"Alright. What do we think?" She turned in place, showing off the illusion in its entirety. "Did I miss any spots?" She sure hoped not—she was only going to be able to keep up such a detailed illusion for an hour or two at a time.

MadEmperor

Thrax's tail wagged briefly in appreciation. "Mmm... Like someone I can't wait to corrupt." He smirked flirtatiously. "But, also, flawless."

"I feel all gross and scraggly now," he said, examining a stain on his sleeve.

DragonSong

"I wouldn't say scraggly," Hana chuckled. "Maybe...rugged."

She dropped the illusion, giving herself a little shake at the tingly feeling that sort of magic always left in her skin. "But you raise a good point—we should probably both get baths before we try this out. You thinking quick dip in a creek, or should we spring for one of those bathhouses in the city?"

MadEmperor

"Bathhouse, definitely." He nodded. "Unless you can illusion up the smell of fancy soap too. A spoiled heiress wouldn't be caught dead smelling like a creek."

"Besides, creek water isn't enough to get the stink of an ocean voyage off of us," he said, wrinkling his nose upon smelling himself.

DragonSong

"Fair point," she laughed lightly. "Bathhouse it is!" Linking her arm through his, she leaned in to sniff him in turn and crinkled her nose a bit. "Okay, not gonna lie—if I smell like you do right now, this charade is gonna take some work."

MadEmperor

After much scrubbing and rinsing, the two finally got themselves clean enough to reunite in the common area of the bathhouse. She had no doubt been waiting on him, he thought, as he walked up to her. He was visibly damp, which made him look a little like a wet dog.

"Gods. I had almost forgotten what clean felt like." He sighed happily.

DragonSong

Hana giggled quietly and reached up to run her fingers through the thick line of fur on top of his head, making it stand up at even wilder angles.

"It's a good look on you," she said with a grin and a quick wink. She had put her illusion back in place, but the smile wasn't the vapid expression she'd been practicing in the baths, it was real.