Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Lost Fledgling [MadEmperor]

Started by DragonSong, April 08, 2023, 01:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

That's usually it, Lenore noted, hopping back and forth on the windowsill. You look like a bird, but you don't act like a bird. Not all the way. It's a bit creepy.

Be kind, Gale, the spotted owl, chastised sleepily.

Lenore squawked. It's the truth! We're all used to it because we flock with Lanaya, but most birds would be able to tell he's...not-quite-a-bird.

MadEmperor

I guess I have a lot to learn, don't I? He sighed. It... might be a long time before I'm human again.

If I ever am...

DragonSong

Lanaya will help, Lenore assured him, hopping in place again. She's good at fixing broken things.

The wrapped woven ladder that Lanaya had folded up the evening before suddenly twitched, then began to unfurl itself down from the nest's platform. Lenore squawked again. She must be back--she'll be glad you're awake.

MadEmperor

Fearful instincts took over and Grimr flew up to the rafters to get out of reach of whomever it was.

Are you sure? It could be anyone! he said nervously, tail feathers twitching.

DragonSong

Lenore made a clucking noise that might have been laughter. "Witch, witch," she squawked. Lanaya can move the nest with magic. Not many others could do that.

"True enough." It was indeed Lanaya who climbed up into the nest, spooling the ladder up behind her. She looked around at her flock, eyebrow quirked. "Why are we discussing my magical abilities? Ah, good, you're up. Good morning, Grimr."

MadEmperor

Grimr flapped down to a lower perch. Morning.

When are you going to check out my curse? he asked with the impatience of youth.

DragonSong

Lanaya chuckled and began laying out the herbs she'd gathered to dry. "I thought I might have breakfast first," she replied evenly. "Have you eaten already? I know there was stew leftover, but some nuts or berries would do you good--your body is different now, it needs a different balance in its diet."

MadEmperor

I ate a little stew before you came back. He cocked his head. You mean I could have eaten nuts and berries all this time? Not just seeds and... He gagged slightly. ... bugs?

DragonSong

"Yes, little one," Lanaya laughed, though not unkindly. As if to emphasize her point, she removed two carefully wrapped leaves from the pouch she wore on her hip while gathering herbs and other supplies. Unwrapping them, she revealed a stash of seeds, nuts, and a few yellow berries.

"Here." She pushed one leaf toward the young crow. "They're all safe for birds, I promise."

MadEmperor

Grimr flapped down to the leaf and hopped up to it. He tentatively crunched on a nut, making a pleased sound. It tasted great to his corvid taste buds.

Thanks! Crunch, crunch. It's tasty.

He continued eating hungrily. It was a veritable feast for his tiny, malnourished stomach. So much so, that he was going to make himself sick if left to his own.

DragonSong

"Whoa, easy, easy." Lanaya reached out, but hesitated before actually touching him or the food. She didn't want to frighten him, or make him think she was going to simply take the food away. She realized in the back of her mind that, despite knowing he was really a human boy, she was treating him as she would any young, malnourished bird she might have found.

"Here. Take a breath, and drink some water," she urged, pouring water from an earthen jug into a small bowl and then nudging that toward him.

MadEmperor

Grimr knew that she knew more about what birds needed than he did, so he paused to take a break from eating to breathe. He took small, awkward sips that revealed he hadn't quite figured out how to drink properly with a beak. It was both amusing and sad to watch.

DragonSong

Lenore chuffed and fluttered down to the floor. Here. She dipped her beak into the water to scoop up a mouthful of water, then jerked her head back to swallow it. Like this.

Lanaya smiled to herself and continued organizing the herbs she'd gathered, starting to hum softly under her breath.

MadEmperor

Grimr copied what the raven was doing and was surprised by how much easier the proper method was. I guess I need a tutor for being a crow, he remarked ruefully.

He hated needing help; it made him feel even more powerless than he already was. And chances were that the witch was going to want something in return for her help. In his experience, nobody helped anyone without a price—nobody but the Coyotes for each other.

DragonSong

I am a raven, Lenore corrected with a ruffle of her feathers.

Lanaya rolled her eyes. "Yes. You can tell because she's incredibly smug."

Lenore squawked in protest and the witch leaned over to stroke her breast with the backs of two fingers, chuckling. "They're a bit bigger, actually," she told Grimr as Lenore subsided with a happy chur. "And their tails are shaped differently, see? Oh, do you mind?"

She started to reach around him to point out his own tail feathers, but paused before she actually touched him, head cocked at him questioningly in a rather avian way herself.

MadEmperor

His first instinct was to pull away, but Grimr fought it and nodded his assent. He twitched when she actually touched him, resisting his fears. It been a long time since he had human contact possessing any tenderness.

He was in dire need of a good preening, and maybe something even more extreme. He was quite dirty.

When the demonstration was done, he said. I think I get it.

DragonSong

"I'm sure there's plenty of little nuances you'll start to get the hang of," Lanaya assured him with a smile. Looking him over, she hummed thoughtfully, then offered, "I don't mean to be rude, but...perhaps Lenore could show you how to dust bathe? It might help you feel a bit better to be properly clean--I know I always feel better after a nice bath."

MadEmperor

Dust bath? Grimr asked, perplexed, I thought birds used water.

Besides, he was too old to play in the dirt. He was practically an adult, damnit.

DragonSong

"Oh, they can," Lanaya assured with a small chuckle, "but for most birds, getting your feathers wet means you can't fly. It's usually safer to opt for a dust bath--of course, if you prefer, I can fetch some water from the stream? It'll just take a little longer for your wings to dry and be flightworthy again."

MadEmperor

Grimr didn't have to think it over; he still wasn't sure of her intent, and the idea of being unable to get away terrified him. Dirt's fine.

And then you'll help me? he asked with an inquisitive croak.