Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Lost Fledgling [MadEmperor]

Started by DragonSong, April 08, 2023, 01:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

"It should feel like a slight tingle that starts in your extremities," Lanaya replied with an assuring smile. "And your body should start to feel more relaxed—don't worry, the effects pass very quickly, it should only be a minute or two. Which is long enough for me to cast the spell."

She settled herself cross-legged outside the glyph and let her eyes fall closed, starting to murmur a quiet incantation.

MadEmperor

Grimr nodded in response. As her spell was cast, his mind started to clear as if he were in a trance. Magic circles appeared around him; a complex, shifting magical lock keeping chains of darkness wrapped around his tiny body.

DragonSong

Lanaya stopped her incantation and opened her eyes—she only had about a minute to study the spell's construction before her own magic waned.

Her lips moved silently as her eyes flickered back and forth over the magic circles, noting the interlocking segments and the cross-layers.

It was certainly an impressive piece of spell work.

As her own spell started to fade, her shoulders sagged and she released a sharp breath, blinking to clear her vision.

MadEmperor

The spell would be exceedingly difficult to dismantle, and was set up to repair itself if it wasn't completely broken in a single attempt. Yet, the framework of the spell allowed for some wiggle room in how it expressed itself.

When sense returned to him, Grimr let out a groaning croak. Ugh... my head feels fuzzy. Did you find anything?

DragonSong

Breathing just a tad heavily, Lanaya nodded. "I believe so," she murmured, brushing her hair back from her face before rising to fetch a water skin. She took a few gulps. "It...it is a very complex spell. I will have to make some notes, try to figure out the best way to approach thing..."

She trailed off, crossing back to kneel in front of him and pour a bit of the water into a bowl for him.

MadEmperor

Grimr drank greedily; the potion had left his mouth dry. After a while, he looked up with hope in his eyes. So you might be able to help me?

DragonSong

Lanaya sighed. "I want to," she told him honestly, "but...this may be beyond me. I...I think I know several ways I can mitigate the curse, but lifting it entirely..."

She looked at him apologetically. "I'm sorry, little one. I will do what I can--and perhaps we can find you someone whose power would be sufficient to break the spell."

MadEmperor

Oh. Grimr looked as dejected as a crow could.

He looked up at her again, cocking his head. What do you mean... mitigate?

DragonSong

Lanaya sighed again, pursing her lips. "There...may be ways I can, if not remove the spell, then...shift it, slightly. But it will take me some time to work out which methods may have the most success."

MadEmperor

Shift it? he asked, perplexed. Like... change the effect or something? Even I know "death's herald" is vague. I could have just as easily been a raven or any number of things.

Pretty glad it didn't turn me into a spider or a rat.

DragonSong

"Yes, very much like that," Lanaya said with a nod. "It is beyond my capabilities to reverse the transformation entirely, but I may be able to tweak its parameters."

She frowned in thought. "It will take me at least a day to study what I learned from the construction of the spell itself... You are welcome to stay here, of course, but would you rather explore the forests outside?"

MadEmperor

After fighting to survive the wild for two weeks, maybe it'll be good to actually enjoy it. Grimr flapped to the window. Is there anything I should watch out for around here?

DragonSong

I'll go with him, Lenore offered before Lanaya could say anything. She fluttered down to land next to him on the windowsill and bobbed her head. The closer you are to Lanaya's nest, the safer it is. But I can show you around.

MadEmperor

Thanks, Lenore. Maybe you could teach me how to fly better? Grimr asked as they took to the sky.

He was flapping too much, for a start. Nor was he very adept at finding updrafts.

DragonSong

Well, you certainly need the help. Lenore's tone implied that if she had been physically capable of it, she would have sniffed. Like this; watch me.

She beat her wings once to rise high enough to catch a stream of air, then simply let herself glide along above the treetops.

MadEmperor

Okay. Grimr attempted the maneuver, but it took him a few tries to get it right.

When he succeeded, he cheered, Woo! Haha! I'm doing it! He flapped once for speed and caught up. This is so much easier!

DragonSong

Precisely. Lenore gave a raven's call and banked gently into the wind, coaching Grimr to follow her by bidding him to watch the minute adjustments of her flight feathers. Listen to your instincts--you may have been born human, but your body is a bird's now. It knows what to do, even if your mind is still unsure.

MadEmperor

Grimr copied her, and as he stopped trying to force himself, his flight stabilized. He made a happy sound and did a loop in the air. Woo!

So how am I doing? he asked expectantly.

DragonSong

Not bad. The raven eyed him sidelong as he began playing in the air currents; it was typical behavior for birds who had first fledged their flight feathers--usually younger than he appeared, but she supposed she couldn't hold that against him, what with being cursed into this form and all. You just need practice; the more time you spend in the air, the stronger your wings will grow, which will increase your speed and control.

MadEmperor

Thanks! Grimr answered, almost happily.

Returning to her side, he said, I shouldn't practice too much today. I might not be exactly the same after Lanaya... does whatever she's going to do. At least I hope so.