Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Message in a Fireball

Started by MadEmperor, March 16, 2023, 05:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadEmperor

[ OOC: Continued From ]

@DragonSong

Kahroan, in his mostly human form, gently stirred the pot of rabbit stew hanging over the campfire. He still preferred to cook what he hunted, not particularly enjoying the taste of blood. He was, at least, a decent cook.

"It's almost ready," he declared after tasting it.

DragonSong

River, who normally quite enjoyed her mate's cooking, groaned and buried her face in the crook of her arm where she was already curled up in her bedroll.

"It's supposed to be morning sickness," she whined plaintively, giving him a pitiful look. "I feel deceived. And nauseous."

Her stomach rolled and she groaned again, curling up tighter.

Still, the flickering orange light of the fire was soothing. Or it was, until it suddenly tinged blue. She jerked her head up, surprised by the change, and saw a fist-sized fireball seemed to have split from the campfire and was darting playfully about their heads.

"What in...?"

MadEmperor

"You should try to eat. I went light on the seasoning, so it sho--"

Kah was interrupted by the sudden appearance of the strange fireball. He eyed it warily, but something about it was familiar. "I have no idea."

DragonSong

River narrowed her eyes curiously at the thing. "It...sort of looks like..." she began as she started to sit up.

The little ball of light suddenly paused, hovering over them, and Hanako's voice crackled out from it:

"Heya, lovebirds. Been a minute, but I'm hoping this message finds you as sickeningly besotted as ever. I know you're both probably blaming yourselves for leaving back in Zantaric, so first of all: don't. I told you to go, Riv. You've got a pup to think about, it's not just your life on the line.

Second: the sword has Thrax. I think we were wrong. I don't...

The fireball flickered as the person who had left the message seemingly had hesitated.

"I don't think Validor was a demon. Not at first. So I'm going after him, before it turns him, too. I've got a pretty good lead in the Serha Plains.

I'm not asking for your help. I just wanted you two to know what happened to us. Is happening, I guess. Keep safe. Keep your pup safe. And next time you're in Ketra, ask for me at the Randy Peach! I get messages there sometimes.

Catch ya later!
"

The fireball disappeared with a soft, anticlimactic pop.

River gaped. "That--she...wh-what just...?"

MadEmperor

Kahroan was more worried about the content of the message than the delivery method. He had felt awful for leaving them, and while the wild pair were alive, one of them was in danger of losing his soul. A fresh pang of guilt assaulted him, producing a heavy sigh.

"I know we had to get out of there... for the baby... I just... gods, Riv, Thrax is in the grip of that evil thing."

DragonSong

"I know..." River sighed and dragged a hand down her face. "I know, I just..."

She bit her lip. "She said the plains, right? Maybe...maybe we could..."

She didn't know what they could do--what they should do. She just knew that she hated the idea of leaving the two of them to deal with a demonic sword on their own. But...

She drew her knees up to her chest and rested her forehead on them. "Maybe..." Gods, she hated this, but... "Maybe I should...go back to the pack. For a while. And you could--Kah, I don't want to be apart from you, but I--" She swallowed thickly. "I've already lost one baby because I was too stupid to get myself out of a bad situation. I can't--I can't go through that again..."

MadEmperor

Kahroan abandoned the stew to walk over and sit by her. He gently rested his hand on her shoulder. "I don't want to be apart either. I wouldn't feel right leaving you--but they might need help..." He ran his hand through his hair in frustration. "Gods, Riv, I don't know what the right thing to do is."

DragonSong

She shook her head. "I don't either." She leaned into him a bit with a quiet, tired sigh. "If you...took me back to the pack--quickest we could get back would be ten days. Then for you to get back to the plains..."

She sighed again and shook her head. "You should go after her. I'll find a caravan headed north and...start back to the mountains." It was clear in her voice that she didn't like the plan, but she couldn't see a better option.

MadEmperor

"You could wait in Arca," he suggested. Clearly, he didn't much like the caravan plan either. Their last one had been attacked after all. "We have enough coin for you to stay at an inn for quite a while."

DragonSong

She nodded; it was certainly a better plan than a caravan—she had just been so concerned with the idea of getting back to family, she hadn't even considered the idea of simply...staying in one place.

"I might be able to find a healer who's dealt with shifter pregnancies there too." It was ostensibly a good thing, but she sounded rather melancholy. She reached up to cup her hand along his jaw and let her head rest on his shoulder. "Just...promise me you'll be careful? Validor was nearly enough to end us..."

MadEmperor

He leaned against her, hugging her tenderly with one arm. "I know, my love." He smiled sadly. "I promise I'll come back to you. And, with any luck, Hanako can get through to him before violence is even necessary."

DragonSong

River nodded and leaned into the embrace a little more heavily.

"If you make good time, you should be able to get to the plains in a couple of days. Hopefully you'll be right on Hana's tail." She said exhaled, then tried for a smile and tipped her head up to kiss his cheek. "I'll find an inn in Arca. With any luck, you'll all be back safe in a few days."

MadEmperor

Kah kissed her forehead with a contented sound. "Then, I... I'll leave in the morning, if you're sure this is okay with you."

He didn't like leaving her at all, but what sense of honor he had demanded he do something to help them now that River and the baby were safe. He knew she knew that about him—a fact that didn't make the decision any easier. It would be the longest that they had been apart since they met.

DragonSong

"I don't like it," River laughed bitterly, one arm snaking around his waist. "But I know we need to do something. And I know I'd never forgive myself if doing something put this baby in danger. So this is our best choice."

She pulled him into a gentle kiss, then sighed and broke away. "I'll head out for Arca when you leave. Should only take me a day or so from here. And I'll see you soon."

Not as soon as either of them would like, but it would have to do.

MadEmperor

[ Continued From ]

Days later...

The lovebirds had agreed that after the minimum number of days his trip would take, she would go to the square nearest to the west gate every day at dusk to check if he was back. So that was where the three went first, and right at dusk too.

"Do either of you see her?" Kah asked.

DragonSong

Hana sniffed, looking around, then sneezed. "Damn. Can't catch a scent in this place—much as I love city nightlife, it sure is a pain when I comes to tracking."

"Oh, thank the ancestors!"

River was suddenly there, hurrying across the square to grab and hug first Hana, then Thrax, before holding them both at arm's length to look them over.

"You're alright? You're both alright, gods, I hated just waiting, I was so worried."

She turned to her mate and gathered him close, pulling him down to peck his cheek and then hug him tightly. "You okay?" she asked, looking him over. "Gods, I missed you."

MadEmperor

"I'm fine! I'm fine!" the mostly human Kahroan chuckled, kissing her on the forehead. "I missed you too."

"There was hardly even a fight. All I did was punch a gnoll... No, not Thrax."

Thrax smirked. "Not that I didn't have one coming. Hana just got through to me first."

True love's kiss, Kahroan mouthed to River with a mischievous grin.

DragonSong

River quirked an eyebrow, lips twitching on one side.

"I'm just glad the three of you are in one piece," she said with a small laugh. Her expression sobered and she added, "And...the sword?"

Hana glanced at Kahroan's pack. "We...thought it might be best to give it to a professional to transport to Moonspear." Giving herself a little shake, she suddenly grinned and said, "But! I think maybe the four of us deserve a drink or two first. Well, except you, preggers." She slung an arm around River's shoulder. "We'll get ya some fancy cider or something."

MadEmperor

"Gods, I could definitely use a drink, and my soul wasn't almost some demon's lunch," Kah chuckled.

Thrax grinned excitedly, bouncing slightly on his feet. "Only two? I could drink a fucking entire barrel right now."

"Shh! No profanity around the baby." Kah half-joked as they walked on.

DragonSong

Hana laughed and rolled her eyes, quickly falling into the point position as she said over her shoulder, "I know this not-a-dive near here, best booze this side of the river."

Chuckling a little at Kah's over-protective joke, River took his hand and tucked herself in against his side as they walked.

"...Babies," she corrected him quietly after a moment. Smiling sheepishly, she continued, "I, ah, wasn't sure how to tell you, but sooner seems better than later, so...I found a healer. Seems pack genes are pretty strong--she thinks it's twins."