Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Wherever I May Roam (Mulciber)

Started by Shouriko, January 19, 2024, 07:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shouriko

She followed him and planted herself between Mulciber and the room. Her fire was very seldom used before today. For some, that might cause hesitation, but not for Qixia. She felt herself capable purely in the core of her being. Ah, yes, being... her form shifted back to her true morph. Even in the dim light afforded by that which Mulciber had led them by, her hair shimmered and glistened like polished metal.

A warmth billowed up from within her and without sound or movement, a spark erupted before her. Qixia opened her mouth and blew that spark into a flame. It flickered and grew and then roared into a massive inferno. She continued to blow into it and it licked at the ceiling and reached into the corners. There were tendrils that spun and swirled as it engulfed the entirety and yet, for a room full of fire, there was hardly any heat. None that Qixia could feel, at least, but so long as those who were near were good they were not like to feel even the barest of warmth.

Had it been long enough? No, not yet. She blew a little harder. Something was still in there, lingering, holding on... it was giving way. The Qilin seemed to be bearing down in those final moments. It would succumb, just... a... little... more...!

Qixia gave a gasp. The fire began to recede away and the room was left looking a little hazy, the stones were darkened but dry, no longer glistening with red or holding insignias. Qixia was panting from the effort and yet she was satisfied with the outcome, so much so that her feet planted on the floor. She hadn't shifted back to her human morph, it would take her time to recover and she knew that it would be better if she stayed as she truly was to do so. Even so, she turned and looked up at Mulciber with her big, brown, doe-like eyes and told him, "All done!"

MadEmperor

Mulciber was intrigued by the lack of heat, but even more so he was relieved that his form didn't so much as waver from the erasure of the dark spell. In fact, he felt more grounded in reality than ever before, as if the curse upon the castle had been drawing energy from him to keep itself going.

"Incredible... I... I feel lighter somehow and stronger too. It's as if all this time I've been chained and now those bonds have been broken."

Shouriko

"You think I helped?" Qixia asked excitedly.

Normally she didn't interact with those she purified or those to whom she delivered good karma, good luck. She had yet to know what it might be like to be praised and appreciated. Mulciber was the first to even express what it felt like to they who might benefit from her actions.

"The evil is gone." She looked back into the room briefly. "Karma is balanced here, and if it weren't, the scales are tipped towards the good." That was a vast improvement if she might say so! Qixia looked back at her companion, "And you're here still!"

Mulciber looked no different. He wasn't behaving any differently either. What change he felt was something all for himself and to his benefit. Perhaps he could now feel more at ease to leave the castle behind and live his life anew. That would be nice, wouldn't it?

MadEmperor

"Yes. It had occurred to me that the curse upon the castle might be what holds me together. I am..." Mulciber felt something he had never experienced outside of inherited memories: happiness. His voice grew more content as he continued, "... happy that is not the case."

He gave her a gracious bow in lieu of the smile he couldn't provide. "Thank you, Qixia. You have my undying gratitude for removing the source of the blight upon the castle and surrounding wilderness."

Shouriko

"Oh!" She exclaimed, taking a step back in her surprise. Mulciber bowing to her in a show of gratitude was truly unexpected. Had she been human, her cheeks would have flushed a brilliant pink. "I mean, it's what I'm here for." She shyly replied. "It makes me happy, too, to know I did good."

Her stomach felt all bubbly and it was so difficult to stay still. It was as if she were being tickled all over! Qixia had never experienced such a sensation. If she interacted more with those she helped, might she feel this way again? It might well be worth the effort.

"What will you do now, Mulciber?" Qixia asked him. She was liable to just keep on what she'd always done: following no path at all, going wherever which way her feet stepped. There was nearly almost something to do no matter the direction she went in. Like today! "Will you try to seek out this witch? Or will you look to find new purpose?"

MadEmperor

"I will have to think on it, but I do not much like the idea of leaving her to bring about further suffering and death. As you would say, her karma has yet to be balanced."

Perhaps this was why he existed, if indeed there was a greater cosmic good at work—to seek what justice he could for the souls in his keeping. No one else was going to.

Shouriko

The Qilin gave a series of nods. She very much agreed that regarding that individual, their karma was grossly unbalanced. There was a great misjustice in the world so long as she went waltzing about with her evil. Qixia said at length, "That would be a good purpose."

Her tail lazily swept behind her and she asked, "We can go back up now, yes? I miss the sky." The basement no longer felt so foul but she still felt some discomfort being within the earth in such a manner. This was no natural cave, after all, and the air did not flow so freely as it did in the rest of the castle above.

MadEmperor

The entity chuckled. "Yes. Yes, we can."

He said little else as he led her back out of the basement, his mind preoccupied with deciding his path forward. He would miss the castle but leaving would be for the best.

It was dusk by the time they stepped out under the sky once more. Mulciber turned to her and asked, "Where will you go next?"

Shouriko

The walk out of the basement and through the castle, all the way back through those big doors lightened her spirit. Qixia took a great deep breath of the fresh air and looked visibly refreshed. Her eyes a bit brighter, the shine in her scales more vibrant. Feeling the breeze on her cheeks and through her hair enlivened her and filled her with energy far faster than being indoors ever could.

"Thank you, this is much better." She told Mulciber, although she did not shift from her true form. Qixia did consider his question some. There was never a definitive answer to where she would go next. Her eyes lifted up to the darkening sky, long hairs shifting over her forehead, clinging to her horns or dangling over her ears. "I do not know. I follow my feet where they take me and do what I can whenever I get to where they lead me." With her head still inclined, indeed she needed to in order to look at Mulciber for he was a good deal taller than she regardless of what form she took lest she levitate herself level with him... She was especially today with her destination. "Today my feet took me to you and I did good. I learned so much, too, so much more than I had in a long while. More than that, I made my first acquaintance!" She looked back to the sky. "It was a good day."

MadEmperor

Just an acquaintance? That felt woefully insufficient. To him, at least, she was something that he previously only had in memory.

He followed her gaze as he spoke. The colors of the sunset seemed more vivid than before. "With the gift you've given me, I owe you more than mere acquaintanceship. Though our paths may never cross again, I would be delighted to call you my friend."

Shouriko

Friend? She wasn't sure she knew what that meant exactly. The Qilin turned back to look at Mulciber curiously. It seemed to her that if he used the word, he would know the meaning of it.

"What is a friend?" Qixia asked. "Is it a special title? Is it a kind of job?" The way Mulciber said it, with a sort of warmth in his tone, made it sound like something nice. She asked the most important question last, "Is it good?"

MadEmperor

"A friend is..." He paused to think, turning his head to regard her. "... someone you can rely on, someone who sees and accepts you for who you are. They are someone you would enjoy seeing again. You certainly fit those criteria for me."

Shouriko

If a Qilin could blush, Qixia was certainly doing that just then. What a glowing way to compliment someone! It felt like one of the highest of regards one could bestow upon another. It was similar to how it felt when he had thanked her for her help earlier back down in the basement.

"Oh." She gasped. "Oh my." She fidgeted where she stood. "That's so very nice. The nicest thing!" Qixia gave a nod to Mulciber, "Yes, I think I would like to be called a friend!" And with another nod she told him, "And I shall call you friend as well, Mulciber."

It was getting on into the evening and Qixia had no intentions to travel through the night. Her energy was still low and it would be good for her to rest. "I'll not depart until dawn. Maybe we could spend the night, as friends." It struck her to be a very good idea. Having a companion was much preferred to being alone. The Qilin found it very pleasant and she was sure that they could find a way to fill the quiet times with questions and conversation. Should they indeed part ways in the morning, they would have even more memorable moments shared between them to bide the time until they might next meet again.

MadEmperor

"It would be my honor to spend the evening in your company," Mulciber answered, feeling pleased. Though he could not smile, he knew that he would if it were possible.

An idea struck him. "Have you ever had tea? A misinformed adventurer dropped his pack as he fled. It should still be good."

Shouriko

"Tea..." Qixia thought hard. It sounded familiar, as if she had heard it spoken of before. The answer was very simple, but she wished to recall if she held any familiarity to it.

"I've never eaten of human food." She told Mulciber. "So, no, I have not had tea. I have heard it in passing, though." She would try some human things tonight. Her new experiences continued to grow! "Is it hard to make? Is it something many like? What is tea?"

MadEmperor

"Tea is..." he responded, taking a second to think, "Easy to make but difficult to master. Luckily for you, my core soul was a very good butler. If you would allow me a moment to fetch the leaves and the kettle, I will happily prepare some."

With her leave, he disappeared inside for about ten minutes before returning with what he needed to prepare tea over an open fire. "Now to start a fire so I may prepare the hot water..." he said, gathering some firewood.

Shouriko

Easy to make but difficult to master... That was an interesting thing to Qixia. Did that mean that perhaps it could be made wrong? Or that it could be made easily, but that with skill it could be most delicious? What really piqued her interest was that it involved leaves. "Oh, so it is a plant?!"

Feeling a bit better as Mulciber hurried away, Qixia stretched and checked her energy level. She had replenished enough for a shift. Before her friend had returned, she took back on her human morph. Her legs crossed over the other and she sat patiently on the floor waiting for his return.

Upon his return, Mulciber mentioned fire. "Do you need help?"

MadEmperor

Mulciber shook his head. It just wouldn't do to have his guest trouble herself further for his sake. "I do not require assistance, but I appreciate the offer."

Before long, the kettle was heating over a small campfire. "There. It should be ready for the next step shortly," he said as he sat down by the fire. "As for your question from earlier, yes. Tea is made from the leaves of a plant, but it is often flavored further by the addition of other plants. And after it is prepared, many add sugar to sweeten it."

Shouriko

No help needed... Qixia was unaccustomed to being catered to. She was unaccustomed to a lot of things that came along with keeping company with another, particularly anything or anyone of a more humanoid persuasion. This was a good exercise in playing at being human she supposed.

She watched and observed Mulciber keenly as he went about building fire and heating water. It did take some time for the water in the kettle to bubble and roll, steam coiling as it rose and vanished into the cool air. Qixia nodded as Mulciber explained more about tea. About adding other plants for flavor, sugar to sweeten.

"Is flavor important?" She asked him.

MadEmperor

"Most humanoids enjoy a great variety of flavors and have become very creative with how they satisfy their palates. It mattered less to my core, but even dragons enjoy the occasional human dish. He was especially fond of pie," the being answered.

He gave a bittersweet sigh—never again would he know the joys of pastry. "Sadly, I can only experience such things in memory for I do not have a functional mouth or anything else associated with food."