Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Underbelly of the World [MadEmperor]

Started by DragonSong, March 11, 2023, 07:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

"Maybe not." Hana bit her lip, then said slowly, "But...there is a very fine line between justice and revenge. And I'm not saying vengeance is inherently a bad thing to want—just be clear-eyed about what it is you really want."

She gave him a small smile, then a quick kiss on the cheek, before she gathered up their drinks and moved to head back to the table.

MadEmperor

Thrax gathered himself before following after her. "Sorry everyone. I let the temptation of power get in my head. I'll... do better," he awkwardly apologized.

Kah smiled sadly. "It's alright, Thrax. I know what it's like to crave strength, but I also know the price of messing with forces you don't understand. And something tells me this sword will do worse than change your body as my price did."

DragonSong

"And no guarantees an out-of-work shifter will happen upon you and essentially adopt you into her pack, either," River joked, trying to match the normally carefree attitude that the bard kept up.

Hana snorted; she and Thrax had gotten the abbreviated story of how Kahroan and River met over their time traveling together. "I bet I could find you somebody," she joined in on the joke, smirking crookedly at the gnoll. "Does it have to be a shifter? Cuz I know a cute half-elf in La'marri..."

River snorted and shot the kitsune a very dry look.

MadEmperor

Thrax smirked a little. "Do I really have to be cursed to get a date?"

He grew more serious. "Yeah... let's get this damned thing somewhere where someone like me but without friends can't get ahold of it."

Kah nodded, pleased to hear it. "Question two: how do we approach this ambush without getting ourselves killed?"

DragonSong

"That," Hanako said, lifting a single finger, "is an excellent question."

River "hmmm"ed softly. "Maybe..." She pursed her lips. "Maybe Hana and I go in first, with the sword. As far as they know, that's all we have--they shouldn't know we even know you two, so they shouldn't have any reason to think we'd be associated with the music box."

Hana tipped her head. "But...if we do have it...and if the boys have the sword..."

River nodded. "That gives us an element of surprise when they try to pull something."

MadEmperor

Kahroan made a thoughtful noise. "Assuming they don't know we're together, it might work. It's a gamble, though."

Thrax grinned slyly. "Gambling is what I do best next to music. I like our odds better than they'll be if we run."

DragonSong

Hanako nodded agreement. "Yeah--either way we're taking a risk. I think this option minimizes it, even if just a bit. You two sure you're okay hanging back? We'll need you close enough that you can jump in if we need you, but not so close they'll spot you quickly."

MadEmperor

Kahroan had to swallow down his protective instincts, but he and Thrax exchanged a look before they both nodded. "We'll follow your lead. Just... be careful."

DragonSong

"We will." River reached up to cup her mate's cheek. "I promise." Under the table, her other hand fluttered to press against her lower stomach briefly.

Hanako recommended that the group get two rooms—they had spent most of their time in the road camping in fairly close quarters, but she muttered as an aside to Thrax that she thought the "lovebirds" could use some privacy after spending the better part of a month essentially babysitting the bard and the trickster.

MadEmperor

Thrax placed his pack near his chosen bed in case of thieves, happy that he didn't have either problematic item in his belongings. He propped Stormsong against the wall and turned to look at Hana a little sheepishly. "Listen... Thanks again for--yanno, talking some sense into me. If you--if ever need to talk about anything... I'm happy to listen."

"Or whatever," he added in a poor attempt at nonchalance.

DragonSong

Hana smiled at him as she perched on the edge of her own bed. "Anytime," she said with a quick wink.

His offer of reciprocity seemed to catch her off guard though, as she blinked and opened her mouth, but no sound actually emerged.

After a few moments, she sighed and said bluntly, "Did you know I'm not actually a kitsune? Not fully, I mean." Her ears twitched. "My father was human."

MadEmperor

"I hadn't even heard of a kitsune before I met you, so... no. No, I did not."

He frowned slightly. "When you say 'was'...?"

DragonSong

"Right." She let out a breath. "So—let's say this is a story, okay? And just...bear with me for a second, I promise I have a point about...y'know. What we talked about earlier."

She drew her legs up onto the bed and let one of her tails curl into her lap. "So, ah...once upon a time, I guess, there was a secluded village of fox spirits living in the mountains of Thanatos."

She glanced at him through her lashes, as though evaluating his reaction. She had actually only learned the truth of this "story" about a year before in her wanderings—she'd never had occasion to tell someone before.

MadEmperor

He sat down on his bed with a creak. The bard looked a bit perplexed, but only by her choice of where to pause and why being Thanati mattered. "I figured your name was Thanati, yeah. And...?"

DragonSong

"Right. But this is a story, so it doesn't matter if my name is Thanati," she said with a smirk and a quick wink, but the usual humor wasn't in her expression. "So, there was this village of foxes. But there was a group of humans--hunters--who tracked them down. They massacred most of the village, pretty much an entire generation." She said it blankly, as though it really was a story. Well, to her, it sort of was--she hadn't been born when it happened.

"Of the survivors, there was this pair of sisters. They were young when the attack happened, not yet considered adults by their elders. So they grew up in what was left, after the village moved further up the mountain to better hide itself. But then, years later, another human hunter stumbled upon them. This guy, though, he didn't actually care about killing foxes for their fur or magic or whatever. He was just lost."

She dropped one leg to scuff her foot against the floor. "The younger sister found him, and yadda yadda yadda, they fell in love. It was a secret, 'cause, y'know...the whole massacre thing. But, of course, it eventually came out, and she was exiled from the village. Her sister fought for her to stay--but only if she killed the hunter she'd fallen in love with."

She huffed and leaned back on her palms, head tipped toward the ceiling. "Long story short, they fought, younger sister gets disowned and exiled, and she and her husband came to live in Serendipity. And things were okay for a while. They settled on a farm, had a handful of kids--all of which seemed to take after their mother for looks."

She gave the tail in her lap a pointed flick, head cocked to one side and her customary half-smile back in place. "I was the youngest," she murmured, dropping the "story" pretense again. "I don't...actually remember them."

MadEmperor

Sensing that the series of tragedies didn't end there, Thrax came over to sit by her. He may not be the most empathetic guy, but it felt similar enough to his story that he thought he understood. "What... happened to them?"

DragonSong

Hana sighed and leaned into him, letting her head rest on his shoulder. "The older sister," she replied quietly. "My aunt. She tracked them down. Tried to convince my mother to come back to the village. When it didn't work...she was basically mad with grief and vengeance. She'd watched almost everyone she knew slaughter by people like my father--well, at least that's what she thought. It didn't matter that my mother loved him; he was the enemy. And because she loved him, so was my mother."

She closed her eyes. "She killed them. All of them. My parents, my siblings...I only survived because we were playing, and one of my older sisters hid me in a hollow tree when it started. I don't actually remember that part...I remember the fire, though."

She went quiet for a moment, then sighed again and pulled back from Thrax's shoulder. "I'm not telling you this to get sympathy, you know. Like I said, I don't remember most of it. And, honestly, my childhood wasn't all that terrible--Tobin found me, and he was a great dad. I'm not even trying to tell you that , y'know, vengeance is wrong, blah blah blah. Just..."

She looked at him and smiled sadly. "Just be careful, yeah? I don't think you're like her--like my aunt, but...from everything I heard, she didn't start out like that. She just wanted justice for her family. But she let it eat at her until there was nothing left. That's not justice, that's just...poison."

MadEmperor

The gnoll sighed. "Yeah, I get it. The whole reason for what the Poisonclaw did was a hate they couldn't let go of. We'd feuded with them for so long that I don't think anyone can remember what started it. We got more peaceful over time, at least trying to move towards the future. They... didn't."

"So I do know the ugliness of revenge. It's just, well, the gnoll way to seek blood for blood. It's all I knew before leaving the Serha. I don't--I don't know how else to seek justice."

DragonSong

"By being better than they were." She smiled in a bittersweet sort of way and reached up to place her hand gently on his shoulder. "By protecting your new family, whoever they are and however you find them."

She shrugged. "I'm not saying I don't get it--honestly, if you put the woman who killed my family in front of me now, I don't know what I'd do. And maybe there are Poisonclaw warriors who really do deserve to die for what they did to your clan. Just don't lose yourself in the process, okay?"

She shucked him gently along the jaw, smile slanting sideways. "You're a good guy, Thrax. I think your people should be proud of you."

MadEmperor

"And here I thought I was trying to comfort you." He chuckled and turned his head to her with a sheepish, comforted smile. "I think your family would be proud too. You were willing to face off against a demon to help people you barely knew escape. That's pretty damn heroic if you ask me."