Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Underbelly of the World [MadEmperor]

Started by DragonSong, March 11, 2023, 07:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

She snorted. "Heroic, maybe. Stupid, definitely." She arched her back in a stretch and sighed. "Welp! I dunno about you, but I've officially felt one too many emotions for today. We should probably turn in so we can deal with this stupid music box situation tomorrow."

She gave him a smile more like her usual playful one and bumped his shoulder with hers, teasing with a wink, "So unless you're planning on making this worth my while, get your tail back to your own bed."

MadEmperor

"I wouldn't actually say no if you were serious, but you probably know that already," he chuckled as he stood up. Looking back at her over his shoulder, he asked, "You aren't... right?"

DragonSong

Leaning back on her palms, Hana shrugged, still smiling. "I mean, I can be, if you want," she replied honestly. "I like you. You're fun to be around. If that was something you wanted to do, I'd be into it."

She shrugged again. "No pressure or anything--I know we've been stuck with the two most sickeningly in love people alive the last few weeks, but that isn't really how I do things. I like casual." She wasn't necessarily trying to be brusque--she just figured honesty was important in things like this; it was better if everybody knew where they stood up-front.

MadEmperor

The bard turned back towards her with a smile. "Casual is fine by me." He smirked. "I prefer it if that is what a committed relationship is like. Seriously, you have my permission to set me on fire if I start acting like that."

DragonSong

Hana laughed. "Noted." Leaning back onto her elbows, she tipped her chin up at him in something that was between an invitation and a challenge. "So? You comin' over here or not?"

MadEmperor

He climbed onto the bed eagerly, undoing the front of his shirt with a grin. "Challenge accepted."

Just before dawn, the group paired off and headed to the meetup point by different routes. The women with the box arrived first, as planned. For the moment, they were alone.

DragonSong

As Hanako and River approached the burned out temple, both of them surreptitiously sniffed the air. Nothing--they really were alone, at least for now.

"So." River glanced sidelong at the other woman. "You and Thrax...?"

Hanako groaned and rolled her eyes. "Oh dear gods."

River arched a brow. "Our rooms share a wall, Hana. You had to know we'd notice."

The kitsune snorted. "Funnily enough, it wasn't exactly my primary focus at the time."

"I could tell," the wolf shifter replied dryly.

"Oh--shut up, mum," Hana laughed, shaking her head.

River chuckled and shrugged, saying, "Hey, I'm not here to pass judgement. You two might actually be...good together."

"Y'know, not everyone is actually so concerned with togetherness. It was just some fun."

"Alright, alright--"

"Shh."

"I said alright--"

"No, seriously. Shh." Hanako's ears--despite their currently human shape--still seemed to prick toward the entrance of the temple. "I think they're here," she muttered.

MadEmperor

A completely bald Essyrni man stepped out of the gloom of the temple, his red clothing bright in the dawn light. "Come. The boss is inside. I recommend you not keep her waiting."

DragonSong

The two women exchanged a glance, then looked to their contact and nodded. "Right."

We're heading in, River told her mate, hoping they were still in range for beastspeech to reach him as they entered the temple.

"So who's this boss anyway?" Hana chirped, deceptively ditzy even as her eyes flickered around, taking stock of escape routes.

MadEmperor

Kah came in loud and clear. Just tell us when we should approach.

There were several exits—some were part of the original design, others were created as sections of the walls collapsed from fire damage. All of them were guarded by armed thugs wearing red.

"I am." Their attention was drawn to a curvaceous Adelan woman with dark red hair wearing a low-cut red dress. She was seated on the damaged altar like a queen or, perhaps, a countess. "They call me the Red Countess. Who, may I ask, are you?"

DragonSong

Hana snorted, and River elbowed her.

Oh c'mon. You know this woman uses the word "languish" unironically.

Fighting down a sudden and vaguely hysterical giggle, the shifter inclined her head to the Red Countess. "I go by River, ma'am," she introduced herself--they hadn't given a false name to Fuzbit, so it wouldn't make sense to use one now. "We were told to meet someone here who might be interested in buying a...sensitive bit of weaponry we got our hands on recently."

MadEmperor

"So I have been informed. A demonic blade, no less. I must know: How did you acquire such a thing? Perhaps it belonged to a demon playing bandit in the woods?" she asked probingly.

DragonSong

"And if it did?" Hana cocked her head. "We may have heard some things ourselves, your grace. Maybe that demon wasn't exactly a friend of yours. Maybe you should owe us a little extra for the bother of getting rid of him."

River shot her a quick, warning glance. Careful.

MadEmperor

The Countess began to narrow her eyes at the sarcasm. Yet, she gave a dignified laugh at Hana's sheer audacity. "Am I supposed to believe that the two of you took out a demon all by yourselves? You don't even have weapons."

"Or, perhaps, you had help? From, say... the two trying to unload a certain music box?"

DragonSong

"Now, what makes you think that?" Hanako batted her eyelashes, pouting theatrically. "Who says two tough gals like us couldn't do it on our own?"

River kept her impassive mask in place. What the hells are you doing?

Pushing her buttons. Seeing what she wants--and how bad she wants it.

Oh. Clever, actually.

MadEmperor

"If you did, you would have the box as well." She gave a predatory smile. "And if you have both, then I would have no use for the two headed here right now."

DragonSong

...I'm gonna smash it.

Don't. You. Dare.

Think about it. Hana flicked her eyes briefly in River's direction. If I make like I'm gonna destroy it, it'll force her to show her hand. Plus, she'll know the boys don't have it, they have the sword. It's insurance.

River cursed, rather imaginatively, and said aloud, "Fine. Do it."

Hana grinned, flashing sharp canines, and drew the music box from her pocket. "You mean this box?" she asked innocently, and raised it above her head as though preparing to dash it to the ground.

MadEmperor

With her bluff seemingly called, the Countess had only one option. "Wait!" she called out, instinctively reaching for the box. "You want a deal? Let's make a deal."

DragonSong

Hana smiled slowly. "What sort of deal?" she all but crooned as she lowered the box ostentatiously back down into her pocket.

At the same time, River was calling in beastspeech, Kah, they've got eyes on you--you okay? We cannot let these people get ahold of that sword.

MadEmperor

You'd better have a plan to get out of there. Or I'm coming, sword or no sword, Kah vowed.

"I'll take both off your hands right here for six gold crowns," she offered. For those items, that was a low-ball offer.