Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

All Creatures Great and Small

Started by DragonSong, December 20, 2023, 11:17:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

@MadEmperor

"Are you sure this is a good idea?"

Krysta giggled and spun on the end of her branch to look back at Galon and Brix. "Of course it's not," she pointed out with a grin. "That's what makes it fun."

The other two young pixies had quite different reactions to this concept. Galon swallowed nervously, but Brix beamed and fluttered up to join Krysta at the end of the branch. "If we get caught, we are blaming you," she informed the princess.

Krysta chuckled and nodded. "Oh, of course. Now shush, the guard change is in three minutes."

Sneaking out passed the castle guards was never particularly difficult; in fact, since she'd come of age, the Crown Princess of Dreamhaven had actually entered into a sort of unspoken understanding with half the royal guard that--as long as she didn't cause too much trouble--they would turn a blind eye.

But the guards at the edge of Dreamhaven itself were another matter entirely. Pixies weren't forbidden from leaving the magical barrier that surrounded their queendom, but it wasn't exactly encouraged either. And Krysta was definitely not allowed to do so.

So rather than going through, the current plan was to go over.

"That was too close."

Brix huffed and put an arm around Galon's waist, pulling her beau in to peck his cheek. "It was fine."

"That hawk nearly had you!"

"It did not." Brix rolled her eyes. "It didn't even see us."

"It dove!"

"For a rabbit!"

Krysta smiled a bit to herself as she listened to her friends bicker. Brix and Galon were always around for one of her larks, and she had to love them for it. Of course, she would never try to lead them into something actually dangerous--

"What is that?"

"For goodness' sake, Galon!" Brix exclaimed. "Stop worrying--"

"No. I heard something too," Krysta cut her off. She paused in her flight path, fluttering above the undergrowth of the forest. They hadn't gotten too far from the border of Dreamhaven, but even this close one could see the difference: more of the evergreen trees native to the area, a chiller early spring breeze, less some creatures roaming about this close to dark.

The sound came again, a low moaning noise that almost echoed in a way that indicated it came from quite a large creature.

"...What is that?" Brix whispered. Krysta glanced back to see she and Galon had shrunk back beneath the broad leaves of a fern.

She smiled at them, hoping to portray a confidence she suddenly didn't feel. "No idea. I'll go check it out, you two wait here."

"Krysta--"

"We can't just--"

"Wait. Here." She said it gently, but firmly, brooking no argument. "If I'm not back in five minutes, head back to Dreamhaven and alert the guard."

Ignoring their protests, she fluttered up and turned in place in the air. AS the sun continued to set, the faint shimmer from her wings became a soft glow, giving her a gently halo of pale light as she bobbed through the air toward where she'd heard that strange noise.

Not far from where she'd left her friends, she found the large mouth of a hollow. It wasn't quite a cave, exactly, formed mostly from an overhang in the earth and a leaning pine tree whose roots had grown downward in a sort of curtain around it. And there was something inside it.

Something big.

Krysta lit on one of the arched roots near the entrance, peering into the darkness as she tried to make out the shape of the massive shadow within. Her wings fluttered nervously, increasing the glow around her hand-span sized body.

MadEmperor

Whatever it was, it fearfully pressed itself further into the hollow. She could hear the labored breathing of some beast and the coppery smell of blood assailed her nostrils. It was wounded and thus dangerous.

The former human watched the tiny, glowing person with perplexed trepidation. He had never seen the like. Of course, it didn't help that he didn't even know what he was. It was like he had passed through a mirror into a world that was the same but completely alien at the same time, one where his god could not find him.

DragonSong

Oh, poor thing.

It was hurt.

She still couldn't make out what it was, but from the general shape she thought it might be an oxen of some sort. Maybe a beast of burden from a passing caravan? If there was an attack, that would explain the scent of blood, and why it was alone...

Drawing on a thread of her magic, she reached out to the creature with the intent to convey understanding of her words. Most animals instinctively understood the general intent behind Sylvan, even if they couldn't speak the language, but she figured it would be best to be cautious.

"Hello?" She flitted upward, hovering several feet off the forest floor. "I'm not going to hurt you--do you need help?"

MadEmperor

The creature's eyes widened. How was it that he understood the small being? She wasn't speaking Common. Was she using magic?!

"O... ag--agic..." he growled, trying to speak. Magic did this to him, he wasn't going to accept being subjected to it again.

DragonSong

Krysta froze.

It--it was speaking. Like, properly speaking. Or at least trying to.

That was definitely not an ox.

"I'm...sorry," she said slowly, heart racing. She continued to feed her own wild magic into her voice and intent. "I didn't...quite get that. Are you hurt?"

MadEmperor

Maybe it was magic that made him trust her intent and maybe it wasn't, but he did all the same. Besides, he couldn't fall any further from Ansgar's light.

The great head nodded. "Yes... hurt... n-need... he-help..." He sounded confused and afraid.

DragonSong

"You need help." Krysta sighed, relieved they were able to communicate after all. The magic she was feeding into her spoke Sylvan shouldn't do anything more than allow understanding, but even that wasn't always a guarantee. Her control of her magic was...not exactly well-practiced.

"Can I...see?" She risked fluttering a tiny bit closer. If she could see the injuries, she had a better chance of being able to help.

MadEmperor

The beast answered by no longer cowering into the back of the hollow. When he did, she saw a chimera of some kind, emaciated and caked in blood. Its back and side were riddled with arrows. Its eyes, whose irises were all the colors of candle flame, were not ones of something wild, merely frightened and sad.

"Don't want... die..."

DragonSong

"Oh, dear..."

Krysta put a hand to her mouth as she began to take in the full extent of the creatures injuries—and of the creature himself.

"Oh, you poor thing." She bobbed in place, wings buzzing into a blur of light behind her. "Just—just one moment. I'll be right back, I promise."

She cast one last look over the gargantuan length of him, then spun and zipped back to where she'd left her friends. Galon was pacing nervously—of course—and Brix was the first to see her.

"What—?"

"I need you to go back and fetch some medical supplies," Krysta cut her off. "As much tansy and cobweb as you can carry—and whatever pixie dust you can snatch. Quickly."

"What—"

"But why—"

"Please." She looked between them a little frantically. "There's a—an animal of some kind. A creature, and he's hurt."

"But..." Galon frowned. "We should report it to the guard! It's so close to the barrier..."

Krysta shook her head. "It's too close. They'll want to chase him off before they offer any sort of aid, and I don't know if he has that kind of time. Please, Galon!"

Brix stared at her a moment, then nodded firmly. "We're on it." Galon still looked wary, but nodded as well.

Krysta's shoulders slumped in relief and she murmured, "Thank you," as they took to the air.

Quick as she could, she darted back up and toward the hollow where the creature was hidden. "I have friends going to get some supplies to help you," she told him, hovering around the height of his heavy head. "But I should start working on getting those arrows out." She hesitated, bobbing in place in the air. "Can I...get closer?"

MadEmperor

The creature nodded, though he was skeptical that such a small thing could remove the arrows painfully lodged in his flesh.

"You tiny... how can you?" he asked, carefully choosing his words for understandability.

DragonSong

"I--well, to be frank, I'm not sure that I can," Krysta admitted, biting at her lower lip. She bobbed closer. "But I'm going to try. And at the very least I can take a look and see what sort of care you need."

She hesitated one moment more before flying forward to hover just a human arm's length from his eye. "Is it alright if I...?" She gestured vaguely toward his back; a closer look at the arrows embedded in his hide meant she would essentially need to be walking around on him, and she didn't want to do it without warning. She'd heard horror stories of pixies who'd been mistaken for pests by wounded creatures and...swatted.

MadEmperor

"Please," he responded with a nod. Honestly, he didn't know whether or not some newly gained animal instinct would cause him to react violently to her attempts to help him. He was starving from repeated failed attempts at cornering prey and his tail had a mouth of its own. Would it try to eat her?

"Watch... for... tail. Has... teeth."

DragonSong

"It has what?!"

Krysta gaped at him, blinked, then shook her head briskly. "Err—right. Okay. I'll...watch out for that..."

She fluttered up and over the top of his head to touch down lightly between his horns. She doubted her slight weight registered to a creature his size, but she moved cautiously anyway.

"How did...all this happen?" she asked as she approached the first cluster of arrows.

MadEmperor

Ivan didn't know how much he should share with this magical being. No, he shouldn't think that way; merely being magical was no sin. She was using magic though. That was dangerous, no matter how seemingly benign. Yet... what choice did he have but to trust his best chance at survival?

"Was hu'an... friends not know... they try to slay 'onster." He spoke the last word with deep pain and sorrow.

DragonSong

Krysta hesitated as she reached the first quarrel, glancing back over her shoulder toward the slope of his head.

"You were...human?" Had she understood that properly?

MadEmperor

"Yes, not... this," the beast answered with some revulsion.

The arrows didn't appear to be very deep. However, the wounds around them had closed. The arrows weren't going to come out easily, but at least he wasn't actively bleeding. And there were no signs of infection, which was miraculous given the state he was in.

DragonSong

"...What happened to you?"

Krysta continued picking her way carefully along the creature's back, taking stock of the wounds around the arrowheads embedded in his flesh. They'd mostly closed up, but they hadn't healed over entirely—she would have to break open the scabs to get them out, but it wouldn't be as bad as having to cut them out.

MadEmperor

The beast closed his eyes and exhaled slowly. It hurt to remember that day. "Old ruin. M-oonlight triggered sp-spell... woke up as beast."

DragonSong

Krysta frowned and started tiptoeing her way back to the beast's head. Unfortunately there was nothing she could really do about his wounds until they had proper supplies; she didn't trust her healing magic enough to use it entirely unaided.

"When was this?" she asked gently as she made her way back up between his horns. "I mean, how long ago?"

MadEmperor

Ivan couldn't say how long it had been. Everything was so overwhelming that he hadn't had the presence of mind to count the days. He just knew that he had wandered a long way before ending up in whatever forest this was.

"Not sure. M-month, maybe?"