Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Draconic Study [MadEmperor]

Started by DragonSong, February 22, 2023, 04:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

"Yes, well." Alleaya gave him a qucik, bright smile. "We have something in common there, you and I."

Ignoring River's questioning look, she pulled out a notepad from the satchel she wore slung over her shoulder and looked up at the dragon. "So. Miss River here tells me you were...cursed. But you're not anymore?"

MadEmperor

Kahroan glanced at River, equally perplexed. "Maybe? I'm not actually sure. The offending object released its grip on my mind as soon as I fully accepted the transformation. As for whether it's maintaining this or not, I couldn't tell you."

"It's funny, though, that if it wasn't for getting cursed, I might never have met the woman I love in the first place."

DragonSong

"Well, that's sweet," Alleaya murmured as she jotted down notes, sounding more than a little distracted. She began tapping the end of her--presumably enchanted--fountain pen against her lip. "You see, it's strange--dragons taking a human form is rare, but not unheard of, and most half dragons will either be born with or learn the ability over the course of their lives. But someone born purely human to take on a draconic shape...it's not the typical sort of shapeshifting. I actually know of only one other such case."

She shot a look up at him, mouth twisted to one side in what might have been sympathy. "And my own experience was...very different. And entirely of my own foolish doing."

MadEmperor

The dragon blinked, suddenly understanding her earlier comment. "You--but you look human enough to me."

With some hope, he asked, "Does that mean you figured out how dragons change shape? It, at least, seems more likely than becoming truly human again."

DragonSong

"Oh, I do now," Alleaya chuckled, though there was an edge to the sound. With another sympathetic look, she added, "And I...I found some work-arounds. I'm afraid I can't promise anything, but I can tell you what has helped me."

MadEmperor

Kahroan gave his mate a look that she recognized as cautious optimism. "What sort of workarounds? I had no magic as a human, so I have no idea how to access the power I absorbed from that accursed gem."

DragonSong

"Something else we have in common then." Always gave him another quick smile before she began pacing a wide circle around him, still hitting down notes. "Head to shoulders...approximate wingspan...haunches to tail..."

Pausing on the other side of him, she pursed her lips and said firmly, "I'll do what I can, but I'll be honest with you: I don't even have a great handle on my own condition all the time. But, seeing as you seem to have...accepted this magic, that may actually give you a leg up."

She started rummaging through her satchel as she continued, "I'm an alchemist, which is how I got my...abilities. But yours seem to be purely magical in origin."

MadEmperor

The dragon squirmed. All the attention to his anatomy gave him a fresh reminder of his nudity. "I didn't have much of a choice but to accept or see everything I loved destroyed."

He gave her a curious look. "I didn't know alchemy could do such a thing."

"Then again, I wasn't aware magic could really change one's species until recently."

DragonSong

"It can't." She sighed and scratched at her cheek with the end of her pen. "Usually. My mother was especially talented in that regard."

She began chewing on the end of her pen. "I'll have to adjust the formula...and whatever I give you will be experimental at best." She looked between River and Kahroan. "Is that a risk you are willing to take?"

River looked to her mate; it was his choice, ultimately.

MadEmperor

"A potion? Won't that just change me to something else the hard way all over again?" Kahroan was afraid of going through that pain again. Even for love, it was hard to immediately accept. "I had been hoping to use what this body should be able to do."

He hoped that he was misunderstanding what she meant. He wanted more than anything to be able to hold River again, but this--this was a hard choice.

DragonSong

"Well..." The alchemist paused, considering. "I was going to give you the same potion I've used to kick-start my transformations back to human—but I suppose it might not be necessary for you, seeing as you took this shape through non-alchemical means." She tapped one finger against her bottom lip.

"Maybe...we could try the exercise first without the potion, and see where that gets us," she offered with a shrug.

MadEmperor

Kahroan relaxed a little. A little embarrassed by his fear, he gave the alchemist a grateful nod. "Yes, please."

"I don't expect it to be easy, but I'd rather have the chance to take human form without resorting to experimental potions. I've had... enough of having my body change without its permission for one lifetime."

DragonSong

Alleaya's eyes went tight, and she nodded. "Believe me, that is something I understand all too well."

She sighed, ruffling her own hair with one hand as she seemed to think. "Very well. But you'll likely want some privacy. Quite aside from how...intense this can be, I assume you're not wearing much under those scales."

River winced, chuckling a little awkwardly. "Yeah. Guess Gerta's work wouldn't have held up against...all this."

MadEmperor

Kahroan winced in time with his mate. "Yeah, I'm... pretty sure there are enchanted rags scattered across the Kilanthros by now."

"I could fly us out of town somewhere? I doubt there's anywhere private in a military base, not in my size."

DragonSong

River nodded at the idea, though Alleaya looked a little awkward. "Well...yes, I suppose that is the best option," she admitted with an exhale. "If that's, ah, alright with you?"

River was already swinging herself up into place on Kahroan's back, very familiar with the practice by now. She crooked a smile and held a hand down to the nervous alchemist. "I don't believe you've never flown before, ser."

Alleaya huffed. "Well, of course I have, but not on someone else."

MadEmperor

"I'll be fine. I'm big." Kahroan chuckled. Once the alchemist was in place, he took off.

"Okay, so what do I need to do?" He asked anxiously as he looked around the secluded glade in which they found themselves.

DragonSong

Alleaya had paced the circumference of the glade twice before nodding to herself. "Serrah River, you may want to wait at the edge of the glade."

She looked to Kahroan, worrying her lower lip. "Alright. So. This never worked for me before I had...found other ways of transforming back. Potions and the like. But since the origin of your shape is not alchemical, perhaps you will not need that extra push." She tapped one foot. "First, it's...well. It's like a meditation. Clear your mind. Close your eyes, if that helps."

MadEmperor

The dragon closed his eyes and breathed out slowly. Meditation had never come naturally to him; there were always too many intrusive worries. Even now, fears of failure tried to dig their claws into his mind. Luckily, his strong desire to hold his mate acted as a shield against these nagging thoughts.

When his mind was finally clear, he nodded. He was ready for the next step.

DragonSong

"Okay. Now." Alleaya was frowning, clearly working through her own thoughts as she spoke. "For me...what I found allowed me to begin to change, after the catalyst of the potion, was...acceptance, I suppose. I didn't want the dragon, but I'll admit I enjoy her power. You said you embraced yours to protect the people you care about--those people are safe now. Accept that. Accept that you no longer need that power. Let it go."

She paused, then added a little softer, "It is a sacrifice, especially for people like us. It is difficult to know if we will be able to have that power again, once we let it go. But you have to trust."

MadEmperor

Kahroan focused on her voice, considering her words with his heart and soul rather than his mind. The power was now his, not that of the brooch. He just had to let it sink beneath the surface.

Frost gathered on his scales as his magical power began to gather. Slowly, a faint blue light shone from his body. But then a sudden tingle broke his concentration, and the effect vanished.

"Damnit! I was doing it, wasn't I?" he asked, disappointed but hopeful.